The Oldling Thread (PART 12!!!)

dcdeb

[Leona, sorry to hear you are diabetic. My dad has just been diagnosed with type 2, but it's really weird, he rarely eats sugar.

that's what I have, type 2.

there was a time, before I left my husband, when I was so angry at him, I would wake up in the morning & test my blood sugar & it would be over 300! (should have been more like 90)

so, extreme stress can be one of the aggravating factors, some people just get it even if they have a perfect diet!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is a new one called Black Cherry Chutney. I'm going to have to search for Black Cherry. Is it OPI? Between pictures of Mika and my nail polish, my hard drive is full. Not really but I really do need to get photobucket.

you're cracking me up!

I've never heard of someone so into nailpolish that they keep photos of the colors!

thanks. I just wonder how this whole thing started... couldn't be very much fun chatting with just 1 or 2 other people?

I think it had its advantages when it was small. You could be away for a day and only have 50 posts to read up!

Sorry I am going, really!

I had gestational diabetes and there was no reason for that. I know it is not the same though, as what you have, Leona. That's my only experience with diabetes. I think my uncle has it though. Got diagnosed later in life.

you're cracking me up!

I've never heard of someone so into nailpolish that they keep photos of the colors!

You should check out makeupalley.com, the girls there post and discuss and compare nail polish! Yes, I am a member there too but Mika took over.:naughty:

I had gestational diabetes and there was no reason for that. I know it is not the same though, as what you have, Leona. That's my only experience with diabetes. I think my uncle has it though. Got diagnosed later in life.

Type 2 used to be called "Adult Onset " diabetes, now more people are getting it younger ( or they're just now being diagnosed correctly!!)

My Dad & 1 sister have type 1, insulin dependent.

I have 1 other sister who got the gestational one, but it never went away, it's classified as type 2 now.

and 3 other sisters whom I'm pretty sure have it, but they're too scared to go to the doctor & find out!

That's interesting Leona. I ought to read up about it really. My dad lives an hour away from me, so I should know what to do if an emergency arose.

I can't understand how extreme stress would cause it. He lives alone and we lost my mum this time last year, it's been such a hard year for all of us.

Christina, I don't know what OPI stands for, but no, this shade is just a bog standard Collection2000 colour. I don't have false nails/extensions, I'm quite lucky with strong natural nails.

You should check out makeupalley.com, the girls there post and discuss and compare nail polish! Yes, I am a member there too but Mika took over.:naughty:

you learn something new every day...

goodnight, Carri & Ruth!

Leona

OOHH! What page is it on?

Page 11 if you have your page view set like mine!

Gestational diabetes? Is that when you only have it while you're pregnant? I had high blood pressure for 4 weeks with number one which went as soon as I delivered, and for three months with number two - that took a year to leave. And not at all with number three till after I'd had her, and I've still got it now. Mind you, I weigh what I weighed at 9 months gone with number one. I reckon I gained a stone per baby!

And really

Sweet (Mika) Dreams

I go, I fly ..................

Ruth

~x~

That's interesting Leona. I ought to read up about it really. My dad lives an hour away from me, so I should know what to do if an emergency arose.

Yes, that would be great.

I can't understand how extreme stress would cause it. He lives alone and we lost my mum this time last year, it's been such a hard year for all of us...........

Shari, I'm so sorry to hear about that. the 'anniversaries' are always tough, arent they? (My mom's been gone 9 years, my dad 4 years now)

I think that may have something to do with it. Under stress your body has the 'fight or flight" response, makes more sugar, body doesn't really need it, etc. etc.

Stress can do an unbelievable number of things to your body.

I won't go into any more details, but please, read up on it, it can only help you and your dad.....

Good evening folks!! :)

I don't do nail polish!!!! :roftl:

If it chips a tiny bit I sit and pick it all off!!! :naughty:

Me too Wendi !

nice to see you :wub2:

well i have to go now, need to read a bit for uni tomorrow ....

see you for a friday chat i hope xxx

love to you all and night x

Oh Char, those caption pix of yours are hilarious! :naughty: By any chance was it you who did that v funny thing with the Emerald Nuts TV ad on YouTube? Where Mika's face was substituted in for the guy causing all the havoc in the office when ppl were having the midafternoon low blood sugar comas?:roftl: Hehehe

Page 11 if you have your page view set like mine!

Gestational diabetes? Is that when you only have it while you're pregnant? I had high blood pressure for 4 weeks with number one which went as soon as I delivered, and for three months with number two - that took a year to leave. And not at all with number three till after I'd had her, and I've still got it now. Mind you, I weigh what I weighed at 9 months gone with number one. I reckon I gained a stone per baby!

And really

Sweet (Mika) Dreams

I go, I fly ..................

Ruth

~x~

Thanks Ruth I'll check it out.

Leona, sorry to hear about your condition, but the medication for it today is marvelous, my nieces friends dad has it, and he is incredibly careful about his diet and has great meds for it, and lives a very full life.

Hi Wendi, back in a tick, just checking out the thank you thread.

Yes Leona, it is going to be a strange day 11th March. It has felt wierd ever since she died, but I think it's still the early throes of grieving and getting used to life without her.

My Mika birthday would have been in February had mum not gone into hospital and we had our work cut out adjusting to looking after her. Not that I de-cry her that. Sorry I'm getting maudling now. Perhaps I should go.......

Yes Leona, it is going to be a strange day 11th March. It has felt wierd ever since she died, but I think it's still the early throes of grieving and getting used to life without her.

My Mika birthday would have been in February had mum not gone into hospital and we had our work cut out adjusting to looking after her. Not that I de-cry her that. Sorry I'm getting maudling now. Perhaps I should go.......

Sorry to hear about your mom. My dad died while I was in college. It is still wierd not to have him around.

I've composed myself now, sorry.

OPI, I have just googled and I see what you mean. There is a huge following isn't there? I do like the darker shades myself and I love long nails.

Wendi, you think your lead will come tomorrow? What make of camera do you have?

Hi Patty - don't go Shari - we are fading fast!!!! :shocked:

Hi Wendi! Mustn't fade awayyyyyyy!!!

Just reading back a bit.

Sorry you've got a sad anniversary coming up Shari. Lost my mom (she was only 52 at the time) to cancer. Our family harbours a huge hole where she used to be.

And Kath, hope she's feeling better soon too. So much emotion these past days at the MFC. (not that I'm any sort of authority *looks at join date*)

Diabetes is no fun, and can cause awful damage, but certainly treatments/management these days is so much better than it was.