Breaking into the US market

mgpm

Here's an interesting article about how hard it is to break into the US market. I added a comment about Mika....It seems to me as if there is something weird about Mika not being played on US radio, given as popular as he is here--he's gotten a very warm reception from fans at his concerts, and they are full. What is going on, then?

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/FunMoney/story?id=4380428&page=1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange isn't it how some artists just seem to get the cold shoulder from American radio. I always thought Robbie Williams would crack America..he never has. Did he ever get the airplay? Or did they just not take to him?

I'm a little bit surprised Mika isn't getting more airplay now that he's had such good success with his tour. Perhaps they already see him as too 'cult' to really bother with. Or maybe it'll just take a little more time..if his second album is very successful too then just maybe the radio people will take a second look...

Cult isn't a bad thing though. I feel sure Mika would rather that than have to sell out/bland out to get more airplay.

Good comment mgpm :thumb_yello:

Cult isn't a bad thing though. I feel sure Mika would rather that than have to sell out/bland out to get more airplay.

I've wondered if the next album will have a made-for-US-radio single. You know, a little rougher, benign lyrics, and cerrtainly no falsetto.

On one hand, I just can't imagine Mika of all people bowing down to the pressure of US radio. On the other hand, we're talking about a country of 300 million people.

If just two percent of the US population bought his next album, that would mean US sales alone would amount to more than WORLDWIDE sales on Life in Cartoon Motion.

I guess we shall see...

I've wondered if the next album will have a made-for-US-radio single. You know, a little rougher, benign lyrics, and cerrtainly no falsetto.

On one hand, I just can't imagine Mika of all people bowing down to the pressure of US radio. On the other hand, we're talking about a country of 300 million people.

If just two percent of the US population bought his next album, that would mean US sales alone would amount to more than WORLDWIDE sales on Life in Cartoon Motion.

I guess we shall see...

Two percent... of 300 million... equals... :blink: :blink: :blink:

I think I'm going to institute a NO MATH policy on this forum! :naughty:

However, I agree with you Mana -- I can't imagine Mika craving the

US market so much that he'd specifically craft a single just for it, but

there is a perception that unless you capture the US you really haven't

succeeded. (Please don't take that to mean that *I* feel that way... I'm

just saying that seems to be an industry perception -- or maybe it's

just the US arrogance that perpetuates that...)

And Gata -- I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen

Robbie Williams on US television. I can count on one finger the number of

times I've heard him on *commercial* US radio (that is,

not counting satellite radio). Come to think of it, I think that's how many

times I've heard Mika on US radio, too, at least here in DC... :(

thanks for posting, mgpm! :)

dcdeb

I guess we shall see...

I for one really, really hope he doesn't 'bow down' and sell out, even a little....it must be tempting to see the potential earnings from doing just that but I hope Mika rises above that temptation/pressure!

The one song of Mika's that I really don't like is 'Erase'...it sounds as if Mika wrote it specifically for the American radio market. I don't know if he did, but that's how it sounds to my ear. At the very least, it was mixed and produced with an 'America-friendly ear'...I understand why, but to me, it just doesn't represent what Mika's sound is!

It's just not a direction I personally would like to see Mika go in. I'd prefer not to hear anything like it on the new album, or anything that openly panders to MOR American radio stations, but who knows, he may come under a lot of pressure... :blink:

I have NEVER heard Mika on the radio here! I myself.... and others call local radio stations EVERYDAY...and even though they tell us THE DO NOT/WILL NOT play Mika..........they never will give us a REASON :blink:

I for one really, really hope he doesn't 'bow down' and sell out, even a little....it must be tempting to see the potential earnings from doing just that but I hope Mika rises above that temptation/pressure!

The one song of Mika's that I really don't like is 'Erase'...it sounds as if Mika wrote it specifically for the American radio market. I don't know if he did, but that's how it sounds to my ear. At the very least, it was mixed and produced with an 'America-friendly ear'...I understand why, but to me, it just doesn't represent what Mika's sound is!

It's just not a direction I personally would like to see Mika go in. I'd prefer not to hear anything like it on the new album, or anything that openly panders to MOR American radio stations, but who knows, he may come under a lot of pressure... :blink:

WOW!!! I never looked at it that way! :boxed:

MAYBE you are right....cause I AM American..... and I LOVE Erase!

I mean REALLY love that song!!!!! I think that song is very 'special' to Mika, and that is why he does not sing it live.... I dunno! Erase is more of a *serious* [for lack of a better word] song.

I guess we shall see...

LUCKILY Mika is not in this game for the dough :mf_rosetinted:

I have NEVER heard Mika on the radio here! I myself.... and others call local radio stations EVERYDAY...and even though they tell us THE DO NOT/WILL NOT play Mika..........they never will give us a REASON :blink:

Keep phoning up and asking them WHY until they give you an answer. Any answer!! Make them say it out loud! It's not like we don't have our suspicions, is it. They should just be honest about it. Ah but then they'd have to justify it to a lot of listeners who are actually very open minded and probably would like to hear something different once in a while...

:thumbdown:

I dunno, I'm out of my depth here as I don't live in the US..just talking from an outsider's viewpoint.

Yes, Erase was co-written by Desmond Child, if my memory serves me correctly. Desmond is an extremely prolific songwriter who has written mega-hits for Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Kelly Clarkson, etc. The list goes on forever. Very very American sounding stuff.

I had a feeling when I first heard Erase that it was mostly Desmonds because it definitely had that "feel". I think that is why Mika does not perform it that often, because it is not quite so much "his."

Was this song "added' to the album with the thought that this might be the "US" hit the record company might push for US airplay? I have often wondered.

Thanks for posting the article, mgpm, fellow Pennsylvanian! What part of PA are you from?

Yes, Erase was co-written by Desmond Child, if my memory serves me correctly. Desmond is an extremely prolific songwriter who has written mega-hits for Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Kelly Clarkson, etc. The list goes on forever. Very very American sounding stuff.

I had a feeling when I first heard Erase that it was mostly Desmonds because it definitely had that "feel". I think that is why Mika does not perform it that often, because it is not quite so much "his."

Was this song "added' to the album with the thought that this might be the "US" hit the record company might push for US airplay? I have often wondered.

Thanks for posting the article, mgpm, fellow Pennsylvanian! What part of PA are you from?

Thanks for that info, I really didn't know it was cowritten by Desmond Child! You learn something new every day (well actually I thought I already knew everything about Mika:mf_rosetinted: ). It explains a lot.

Nothing wrong with that style of songriting and I know plenty of people love Erase, and not just American fans! It's just that I don't think it's Mika's real sound (if indeed he has a sound, yet :blink: ).

Keep phoning up and asking them WHY until they give you an answer. Any answer!! Make them say it out loud! It's not like we don't have our suspicions, is it. They should just be honest about it. Ah but then they'd have to justify it to a lot of listeners who are actually very open minded and probably would like to hear something different once in a while...

:thumbdown:

I dunno, I'm out of my depth here as I don't live in the US..just talking from an outsider's viewpoint.

I am ON A MISSION! I am gonna MAKE someone tell me WHY....or give me some half arse excuse :mf_rosetinted:

It's strange isn't it how some artists just seem to get the cold shoulder from American radio. I always thought Robbie Williams would crack America..he never has. Did he ever get the airplay? Or did they just not take to him?

I'm a little bit surprised Mika isn't getting more airplay now that he's had such good success with his tour. Perhaps they already see him as too 'cult' to really bother with. Or maybe it'll just take a little more time..if his second album is very successful too then just maybe the radio people will take a second look...

Good comment mgpm :thumb_yello:

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well! It's really weird because I know he'd planend to but things just never worked out for him there..

It's really weird with Mika as well..

I wholeheartedly agree, Gata -- and we are in the minority about Erase,

as I know MANY people love it (and not JUST the Americans here, Robertina

:wink2: ) I knew that it was co-written with Desmond Childs, and it

definitely has "that" sound to it... I can just imagine Celine Dion belting

it out from a Las Vegas stage or something...

Anyhow, if they were trying to appeal to the American

ear with it, they missed this American's completely. It's the one question

I keep wanting to ask Mika when I've seen him -- but of course have

never had the chance: Why do you never play Erase at your concerts?

I don't WANT him to play it, no way, bleah... I'm just curious as to why he

doesn't. :naughty:

dcdeb

OKAY.....

I was NOT joking when I said I was on a mission.....

I have been calling radio stations ALL over the state of Florida

I FINALLY made a bit of a BREAKTHRU

I called an EXTREMELY Huge - CRAZY popular station in Tampa......

...and they ACTUALLY took the time to talk to me - rather than hang up OR laugh in my face! So.... the DJ said NO - Mika is not in their current airplay cirrculation and therefore they cannot play any of his songs.....

AND THE DJ SAID: Man, i don't get it - I personally LOVE Mika, I think he is great! Then they went on to talk about British Artisits and mentioned Amy Winehouse, and I am like ewww I can't stand her music. So, the DJ said that he has SOME say in what they play...and will PUSH to have Mika played. They said that airplay is dertermined by demand, sales, yada yada yada...the same CRAP we all know..... I SAID....MIKA is HUGE in America....his concerts SELL OUT - WHY won't they play him on the radio??????? They told me that his fans are all underground :blink: NO.... I don't think so! Then they started asking my name and what I do...I am like I work for a Law Firm :naughty: We are not rejected musical freaks! I DON'T UNDERSTAND THESE PEOPLE TO SAVE MY LIFE!

But, an attempt to play is WAY better than a hang up in your face and someone calling you a loser! :lmao:

They said they played Grace Kelly a YEAR ago.... but there just was no response to it..... wtf!

I am ON A MISSION! I am gonna MAKE someone tell me WHY....or give me some half arse excuse :mf_rosetinted:

Here's an idea. Couldn't the fan club ask why? I mean, we're official, and we do have American members.

My own opinion is that they don't play Mika's music, because they see it, and him, as too camp (for want of another word) What really really gets to me is, the American media gave Amy Winehouse 5 Grammys, and she obviously gets airplay, but she's a drug addict, and alcoholic, and God knows what else. I feel very sorry for her, but what kind of role-model is she? Why should America accept HER, when they don't accept Mika, who is such a decent guy? It really beats me

I think I am REALLY onto something here!!!! They are actually TALKING to me now.....and NOT hanging up on me like usual! I just got off with another Huge station in South West Florida and they told me there is NO DEMAND for Mika.... and I was like - I AM DEMANDING HIM...they laughed!!!! :naughty:

This DJ told me that they will personally put Mika on the Director's DESK and add that there has been MANY requests lately to hear GRACE KELLY on the station! That is SO COOL!

LOOK HOW BEHIND WE ARE IN AMERICA.......

We are STRUGGLING to get them to play GRACE KELLY of all songs and Mika is working on his second album!!! It is an outrage!!!!!!

I think I am REALLY onto something here!!!! They are actually TALKING to me now.....and NOT hanging up on me like usual! I just got off with another Huge station in South West Florida and they told me there is NO DEMAND for Mika.... and I was like - I AM DEMANDING HIM...they laughed!!!! :naughty:

This DJ told me that they will personally put Mika on the Director's DESK and add that there has been MANY requests lately to hear GRACE KELLY on the station! That is SO COOL!

We are STRUGGLING to get them to play GRACE KELLY of all songs and Mika is working on his second album!!! It is an outrage!!!!!!

Okay, so there's a mission for all American fans, to get onto their radio stations and get them to play Mika, and not give up until they do! To tell the radio stations that Mika has a huge fan base, not underground, who want to hear his music.

And I still say that maybe, as a fan club, we could approach them as well.

Here's an idea. Couldn't the fan club ask why? I mean, we're official, and we do have American members.

My own opinion is that they don't play Mika's music, because they see it, and him, as too camp (for want of another word) What really really gets to me is, the American media gave Amy Winehouse 5 Grammys, and she obviously gets airplay, but she's a drug addict, and alcoholic, and God knows what else. I feel very sorry for her, but what kind of role-model is she? Why should America accept HER, when they don't accept Mika, who is such a decent guy? It really beats me

Yes, it's definitely that, but I would just like to hear the 'powers that be' actually admit it, say the words, maybe then they'd hear themselves and realise how silly it is.

And the Amy Winehouse thing amazes and disturbs me in equal measure. If Mika went out and started doing drugs he'd soon crack (if you'll pardon the pun) the US.

Well it is really good to know that!! It's a start.

Honestly it would NOT make a difference if someone official called! They would get the same run around! They can't MAKE the stations play him. I think the best solution is for the AMERICAN FANS to get on the phone in their spare time and call call call..... if they see that Mika is in demand, and being REQUESTED they will give in and PLAY him! I have REALLY made progress today! Maybe today is the day I have been waiting for.....???? My attitude is no different than usual...they are JUST listening to me today! :punk:

haha, nice work.

"No demand" is a sorry excuse though. If the radio stations ever bothered to play him, he would be in demand. They can't just play the song once and call it a day. Seriously, the radio stations ceaselessly bombard our ears every day with awful music. People want to hear something different! People want to hear Mika... they just don't know it yet

:biggrin2: