Breaking into the US market

mgpm

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah...its warm. Almost 70! :blink: This was my first snowless winter!

The LA concert was great, I wish you could've been there too! :wink2:

oh joy. its 22 feels like 10 right now:thumbdown:

This is my umpteenth snow filled winter *sigh* i could do L.A. right now...

Or at least if its snow it could be fluffy and white and sparkly...not this brown slushy sh!t possible referred to as "snow"....

You know, I think I heard Grace Kelly on the radio once here, quite a while ago. Don't remember which station.

Also, for the last 4 months or so, evertime I walk into the Nordstrom at the Topanga mall(and I go there often), they play Ring Ring! I guess its part of the stores mix because they never play any other Mika song. I walk in just as the previous song is ending, and then there it is, without fail. :shocked:

I just thought it was freaky that it was everytime I went in(more than ten times)....

Sorry for my rambling... :bleh: :bleh:

I have "politely informed"lol my local radio stations here in East Tennessee pretty much every single day by e-mail, and each email would contain more reasons why they should play him, but sadly they have either written my name down as a potential threat or they have just completely ignored me all together.:thumbdown: I think you're all right that we are just going to have to start CALLING the radio stations and not just casually asking if they could maybe play him if they have the time, but to just flat out ask them WHY DON'T YOU PLAY HIM??? And not just let it go if they can't give you an answer. I truely think that the reason that he isn't played in America is because apparently if we don't have something shoved in our faces in commercials or on repeat constantly on the radio we don't know what to buy. Look at how it seems to work here, when someone has an album coming out, they have their music playing in 100 commercials that month(Janet Jackson,Sara Bareilles,Jack Johnson,etc.)then they always end up having very succesful albums here, and honestly I think thats pathetic on our part that they have to tell us what to buy. But sadly at the same time, I also believe that during that time they used his album cover in all of those IPHONE ads, if they would have used one of his songs it probably would have worked, but I guess we'll never know. So, I guess all of this rambling comes down to the reason we all sit around here everyday asking "Why doesn't he get airplay in America??' it probably just sadly comes down to the fact that the majority of Americans can't like something that they don't even know exists. WE HAVE TO CHANGE THIS!!!!:thumb_yello:

To be honest, I have an idea how you American fans feel. Mika is not celebrated in Britain either. We have artists, like Leona Lewis and Amy Winehouse, rammed down our throats constantly. Leona Lewis, especially, because she came from the X Factor, and now has been chosen to record the single for Sport Relief (a charity single which will sell a lot of copies) She was also paraded on the X Factor last year, though she had had her time in the limelight the year before.

Mika, on the other hand, hasn't been on ITV, except fot when he was in The Brits. Channel 4 is the only mainstream channel who really seem to celebrate him a little, and he has been on the BBC.

But when you thing of how amazing Mika is, it is disgraceful that his own country's media couldn't give a toss about him, but would sooner make a fuss of a reality show winner, and a drug addicted alcoholic, than our wonderful, talented, hard working guy! :emot-sad: Edit: I've registered and posted a comment. I couldn't figure out how to do it yesterday, but I have now, so I feel I've helped a bit now.

I have "politely informed"lol my local radio stations here in East Tennessee pretty much every single day by e-mail, and each email would contain more reasons why they should play him, but sadly they have either written my name down as a potential threat or they have just completely ignored me all together.:thumbdown: I think you're all right that we are just going to have to start CALLING the radio stations and not just casually asking if they could maybe play him if they have the time, but to just flat out ask them WHY DON'T YOU PLAY HIM??? And not just let it go if they can't give you an answer. I truely think that the reason that he isn't played in America is because apparently if we don't have something shoved in our faces in commercials or on repeat constantly on the radio we don't know what to buy. Look at how it seems to work here, when someone has an album coming out, they have their music playing in 100 commercials that month(Janet Jackson,Sara Bareilles,Jack Johnson,etc.)then they always end up having very succesful albums here, and honestly I think thats pathetic on our part that they have to tell us what to buy. But sadly at the same time, I also believe that during that time they used his album cover in all of those IPHONE ads, if they would have used one of his songs it probably would have worked, but I guess we'll never know. So, I guess all of this rambling comes down to the reason we all sit around here everyday asking "Why doesn't he get airplay in America??' it probably just sadly comes down to the fact that the majority of Americans can't like something that they don't even know exists. WE HAVE TO CHANGE THIS!!!!:thumb_yello:

Hey Purple Monkey! You are my neighbor! Lets join arms and go raid the radio stations!.... WOOT....

Angela

Hey neighbor!!!lol Wow, it feels kinda weird to have someone else in the area who knows what the heck I'm talking about. But I'm not complaining:punk: I wonder how many of us there are around here and we don't even know it.*ponders, then runs to radio station*

I have heard Leona Lewis quite a bit on the radio here. They have been playing her almost daily for the past few weeks. I have only heard Grace Kelly TWO times , ever! on the radio here. Very sad. I have the radio station's phone number programmed into my cell now. I should start calling.

Serendipity....I'm about an hour west of Philly....in the boonies in Amish country. Were you at the Philly show?

GOOD ON YOU HOLLY!!! I've been emailing stations here for months. Not every day, but a few times a month....sent them all the good reviews of his concerts here in the US, too.

As much as I'd love to keep seeing the boy in small venues here, I want him to be successful, make tons of money, and spread the Mika-joy all over the US.

Yes! I was at the Philly show! :wub2: In the right bar section, hugging the rail. Were you at the show?

I was so happy to see such a large, receptive crowd!!! :thumb_yello: My big fear was no one would show up and Mika would be humiliated and embarrassed. I actually agonized about it! I had no idea there were so many fans around Philly!

BTW--The Amish country is quite pretty, I think. Have visited many times throughout the years.

YUP, I was there, down below with my eldest daughter....to the left front of the stage. Awesome!!!! I knew he'd have a good reception...after the DC show I saw last June. Lots of enthusiasm there too.

I have heard Leona Lewis quite a bit on the radio here. They have been playing her almost daily for the past few weeks. I have only heard Grace Kelly TWO times , ever! on the radio here. Very sad. I have the radio station's phone number programmed into my cell now. I should start calling.

*vaguely wonders if it was the same station that she first heard Mika on*

It might have been! What station is it?!

The American media gave Amy Winehouse 5 Grammys, and she obviously gets airplay, but she's a drug addict, and alcoholic, and God knows what else. I feel very sorry for her, but what kind of role-model is she? Why should America accept HER, when they don't accept Mika, who is such a decent guy? It really beats me

Americans only pay attention if someone is making a spectacle of themselves. I've been promoting Mika and Amy Winehouse on an American message board since 2006 and no one listened to me until Amy Winehouse started going completely off the rails. Then suddenly she was a household word and everyone was like "wow, she can sing".

Yeah...exactly what I've been telling you for a year. :doh:

It's strange isn't it how some artists just seem to get the cold shoulder from American radio. I always thought Robbie Williams would crack America..he never has. Did he ever get the airplay? Or did they just not take to him?

I wasn't surprised that no one was interested in Robbie Williams. He doesn't have any exceptional music talent and the laddish reputation and the history he has with the British public isn't relevant to Americans.

They've never heard of Take That and his mediocre music doesn't make much of an impact. I think Robbie Williams' appeal is all in his stage presence and personality and it's not something that's very evident on MTV or radio.

The only way he was going to get noticed was to hook himself up with a starlet or some no-talent celeb like Paris Hilton.

IT MATTERS A WHOLE lot to those of us here in the states that would LOVE to hear him on a regular basis..... with all of the CRAP they do play...it is an outrage they WILL NOT play Mika! It matters ALOT!

Massive Radio play = exposure

Be careful what you wish for. There are huge benefits to Mika flying under the radar in English speaking North America.

Be careful what you wish for. There are huge benefits to Mika flying under the radar in English speaking North America.

HAHA ya know in a way that is right...lol... We could have more SMALLER, Intimate Venues....hehe Keep him to ourselves.....

Ok I need to snap outta that...lol... EVERYONE needs to know Mika..... hehe...

Sorry I was having a greedy moment...lol

Angela

HAHA ya know in a way that is right...lol... We could have more SMALLER, Intimate Venues....hehe Keep him to ourselves.....

Ok I need to snap outta that...lol... EVERYONE needs to know Mika..... hehe...

Sorry I was having a greedy moment...lol

Angela

Small venues are great, even in England, but I would sacrifice that intimacy for Mika to be hailed for the star, and the entertainer he is. For him to be top, in every country of the world, including America, would mean so much to me! And Mika has earned the right to be on top, and his music is better than anyone elses!

*vaguely wonders if it was the same station that she first heard Mika on*

It might have been! What station is it?!

Yup, it was the same station. I think it was 101.1, WIXX which is listed as a Top 40 station.

Small venues are great, even in England, but I would sacrifice that intimacy for Mika to be hailed for the star, and the entertainer he is. For him to be top, in every country of the world, including America, would mean so much to me! And Mika has earned the right to be on top, and his music is better than anyone elses!

Amen, well said!:punk:

I agree, but there's no rush. Mika's album hasn't even been out a year in the US and it's his first. He's got many, many years left to establish himself and rise to the top.

I think Mika enjoys the challenge. I saw him in Toronto and he was absolutely on fire and it sounds like it was the same in many cities across North America.

His meteoric rise in the UK and France has been a joy to watch but there was little time to savour things from his perspective or the fans', especially if you look at 2007 in relation to the next 20 or 30 years. If you weren't on the Mika bandwagon at the dawn of his career you really missed out and it slipped away all too quickly for those who did see him early on.

I'm grateful that things are moving a bit slower in North America and that I don't have to queue up overnight to see him in a stadium. It's too much too soon. He'll get there in the end, I'm almost certain of it.

As much as I love Mika and kinda buy into the Billy Brown conspiracy, there is still the question of just where Mika fits into the current US music scene. He is like no other.

I'll bet if his label could have their way he'd be positioned into the teeny pop market with Hannah Montana and Ashlee Simpson. Even Mandy Moore opened for him in LA.

But I hope he just continues doing what he's been doing. The show I went to last month was a melting pot of music fans. It looked like a good mix of emo rockers, pop fans and a bunch of gays from a Cher concert.

As much as I love Mika and kinda buy into the Billy Brown conspiracy, there is still the question of just where Mika fits into the current US music scene. He is like no other.

I'll bet if his label could have their way he'd be positioned into the teeny pop market with Hannah Montana and Ashlee Simpson. Even Mandy Moore opened for him in LA.

But I hope he just continues doing what he's been doing. The show I went to last month was a melting pot of music fans. It looked like a good mix of emo rockers, pop fans and a bunch of gays from a Cher concert.

In the end, it wasn't Mandy Moore who opened for him in LA.

Instead, we got this guy:

http://www.myspace.com/shwayze

Followed by these guys:

http://www.myspace.com/themidwaystate

PS: Love your comment "...a bunch of gays from a Cher concert." :lmao:

That was random! Welcome! :punk:

I heard, on Entertainment Today (a British show about celebs, which doesn't mention Mika if they can help it) that Simon Cowell has got Leona Lewis a spot on Oprah Winfrey's show.

This is why I hate Simon Cowell. It isn't that I wish he'd signed up Mika, because Mika is better off without him. But he has got too much power and no one seems to be able to see that. He's got Leona Lewis played on the radio in America, and now got her onto one of the top talk shows, yet she's hardly done anything! She got her first number one because she won X Factor, and that brainwashed the British public into downloading her song. Then she disappeared, only returning when X FActor returned. That, to me, was a tactic used by Simon, aimed at using the X FActor to once again promote her. Sadly, it worked again, even though Bleeding Love is boring and weird.

But she didn't win any Brit Awards, and didn't win Best Breakthrough Artist. Thankfully, that went to our hardworking guy. So at least there is SOME justice in the world.

Oh great!!! If he has gotten her a slot on Oprah then we might as well prepare ourselves here in the states for her immediate success. Because as we all know, if you get on the Oprah show, you will sell a TON of records:thumbdown: Look at Josh Groban for example(who I love by the way,so no offense Josh!lol) anyway, when he put his Christmas album out last year, it was selling just fine, and then he performed on Oprahs Favorite Things episode and it became the biggest selling album of the YEAR!!! The power of Oprah*sigh*. It's not that I hope that Leona completely fails here, it's just that everytime I hear her or see her I automatically think about who should have gotten all of this attention for being a recordbreaker in the FIRST PLACE! I mean c'mon let's face it, if we knew that Mika had an opportunity to be on that show, we would be thrilled with the publicity, but we are just going to have to wait and have faith that in the end PURE AMAZING BEAUTIFUL TALENT will prevail.:thumb_yello: