Please please read this with an open mind

racha

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that I agree with most of this, but I just wanted to say that comparing Mika to a gynecologist, and even any other service-provider is a bit weird.

As a performer, he makes his living not only off his music, but also the connection he makes with his audience and his personality. This is why he goes on talk shows and does interviews to promote himself. His music, yes, but also himself. His personality is what wins him fans, the kind of people who follow him from concert to concert and buy all his merchandise and actively try to get other people to listen to him, etc etc. He needs that too. People who "just" like his music buy his CD, listen to it, go to maybe one or two concerts a tour. He hooks fan loyalty through what he does beyond his music.

So it makes sense that people who like what they see may want more--his address, his intimacy, etc.

It's just important to realize that in the end, he is still not our friend, but a performer, and really, a stranger. Moreover, he is not "ours," but his own person. And we should accord him some basic politeness and treat him with some restraint.

--Jack

WHAT's WRONG WITH BEING IN YOUR 30's, HUH? LOL

:roftl:

I love it! :thumb_yello:

Ummmm nothing except he's the first artist I've liked who's younger than me.

I'm obviously regressing now. :wink2:

Plus I never ever post on forums at all. I just normally read them and never say anything..... :shocked:

Don't quite know what's going on here .... :boxed:

It's all rather odd .... but I like it ..... :blush-anim-cl:

I am so glad you raised this issue about the behaviour of Mika fanatics vs fans of Mika's music only. By the latter I mean the ones who get embarrased by some typical immature 'fan behaviour' and do not want to be associated with these people...

I don't think it has anything to do with age. I think a 13-year old girl can also act mature. When I was a teenager also went to concerts and never understood the screaming fans who collapsed when they saw their idol...etc. I don't look down on these guys, I just don't get this kind of behaviour and prefer to stay away..:cool:

As for the after show party, I only attended the Tuesday concert and had no chance to go to there on Thursday (I was on the plane that time). However, I honestly say I do not feel I missed out on anything. I did not even read that thread, just the first post and I think it already stated that there were some people with strange behaviour over there ... so I did not want to know the rest...

Anyway, I only replied to let you know that you are not alone with your thoughts and if you need some calm people to accomany you to UK concerts next time, just send me a PM : I know many more MFCers who will act and react normal and they don't even need to be first row to enjoy the show:wink2:

LMAO

oh, babspanky don't hate me for saying this.. I still loved some parts of the evening... and am not asking you to love it too (God forbids:roftl: ).. please come here anytime and let it all out... God knows we all needed it..

:thumb_yello:

To be honest apart from being annoyed at how people behaved, I was OK that evening, got there late, stayed right at the back, quite enjoyed it. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm pretty sure that I agree with most of this, but I just wanted to say that comparing Mika to a gynecologist, and even any other service-provider is a bit weird.

As a performer, he makes his living not only off his music, but also the connection he makes with his audience and his personality. This is why he goes on talk shows and does interviews to promote himself. His music, yes, but also himself. His personality is what wins him fans, the kind of people who follow him from concert to concert and buy all his merchandise and actively try to get other people to listen to him, etc etc. He needs that too. People who "just" like his music buy his CD, listen to it, go to maybe one or two concerts a tour. He hooks fan loyalty through what he does beyond his music.

So it makes sense that people who like what they see may want more--his address, his intimacy, etc.

It's just important to realize that in the end, he is still not our friend, but a performer, and really, a stranger. Moreover, he is not "ours," but his own person. And we should accord him some basic politeness and treat him with some restraint.

--Jack

Completely agree with this. Wasn't a Mika fan at all until I got that DVD, and even then when I watched the concert, still not converted. It was the Documentary, and the way he came across on a personal level on that - that started to get me hooked.

Then started to watch You Tube vids, and realised he seemed such a nice bloke, very down to earth, liked his background, liked the way he spoke.

Liked everything :wink2:

Music will only ever pull you in so far. There has to be a personality behind the songs to keep you interested.

Just liking his music wouldn't have got me here or buying a concert ticket to see him at Hammersmith certainly.

:punk:

To be honest apart from being annoyed at how people behaved, I was OK that evening, got there late, stayed right at the back, quite enjoyed it. :mf_rosetinted:

Im sure the at the back i would have appreciated much more bab ... but i must say i enjoyed it much more 5 rows from the front and having bruised ribs the next day and telling some girl to stop flipping elbow-ing me purely from rudely pushing with her mates :mf_rosetinted: oh and being annoyed about the behaviour also of course :cool:

PETRA: The Colin Farrell lookalike was infact Luke's bother..LOL You are right though he does look very similar to him!!

As for the whole thread, my post on the Brixton thread read along the same lines, at one point i was stood on my own next to the doors debating whether to actually walk out just because i felt uncomfortable being there and embarrassed, but i never at the risk of looking ungrateful (which i wasn't at all) I also felt like an outsider and that i didn't belong there for some reason. However i stood back and enjoyed the company of some mfcer's (you know who you are *hugs*) and realised i could go back to the bar numerous times for a glass of champers..lol and enjoyed it regardless.

turn.

In the end I discovered that this would not happen and decided to walk round the car to try and get a better view, to see if Mika would see me, but heard "move your feet!" and saw that Mika was already in the van and I jumped out of the way so I wouldn't get run over, and gave a smiling, waving Mika a sad, crushed small wave back. I'm disappointed that I never met him, but I'm glad that I didn't act an animal. If I were to finally meet Mika, I'd rather he knew I was a normal human being.

I was already at the other side, but when everyone saw he was at that side, they all barged in front of me. :shocked: Hey ho!

I was already at the other side, but when everyone saw he was at that side, they all barged in front of me. :shocked: Hey ho!

It was barbaric and animalistic. It was like almost everyone was a shark and smelled the slightest hint of blood.

PETRA: The Colin Farrell lookalike was infact Luke's bother..LOL You are right though he does look very similar to him!!

As for the whole thread, my post on the Brixton thread read along the same lines, at one point i was stood on my own next to the doors debating whether to actually walk out just because i felt uncomfortable being there and embarrassed, but i never at the risk of looking ungrateful (which i wasn't at all) I also felt like an outsider and that i didn't belong there for some reason. However i stood back and enjoyed the company of some mfcer's (you know who you are *hugs*) and realised i could go back to the bar numerous times for a glass of champers..lol and enjoyed it regardless.

Luke's bother? :naughty: Seth, the fireman you mean?

So that's where my champagne went. :sneaky2:

(I was driving :wink2: )

Luke's bother? :naughty: Seth, the fireman you mean?

So that's where my champagne went. :sneaky2:

(I was driving :wink2: )

Yeah Seth ha ha thats the one....well what else was i supposed to do but go to the bar..LOL was the only place there wasn't a scrum of ppl :roftl:

i'm afraid hysterical people who don't respect distance may keep Mika from having another aftershow-party...:boxed:

I think so too especially as access to him is getting harder as it is, and i'm afraid it only takes a few people to ruin something for a whole lot of other people, and unfortunately for the considerate ones mangement/etc will just tar us all with the same brush

One good thing that has come out of this is that I noticed that most of the people I really like who were there, thought the same was as you and I did, so we must have the same values and ideas which is encouraging.

But that's it.

bab, I think most of the MFCers who I met on the 28th were the ones who did not even try to get in to the knot of people around Mika - with a few exceptions I know, but generally we well-behaved ones can consol ourselves that we did as we were asked.

And I think there have been some very sensible points made by people in this thread.

The funniest part is that if someone really wanted to have a conversation with him (say if you ran into him in a coffee shop) he would be sooooo less likely to give you anything more that an autograph if you got all crazy fan on him.

I totally agree with this thread, have read it, seen it and sometimes can't understand it.

I'll give you that he is rather attractive, but I think his music has more pull for me : )

on another note I often think about how uncomfortable it must make him when everyone is asking him for a hug (I don't enjoy hugging strangers....do you?) I could never........

(Sorry if I have insulted the "huggers")

anyway that's my opinion

Or as nikibella would say, Luke's bother. :naughty:

Luke didnt bother me. And neither did his brother. :naughty: Not sure about Colin Farrel though. It's kind of creepy what you hear about him in the media :blink:.

Or as nikibella would say, Luke's bother. :naughty:

Ohhh did i put lukes bother...whoops :roftl:

He probably is a bother to him isn't that what siblings are for??:roftl:

Considering his family was there and only his bro came out one has a sneaky suspicion he came to check out the talent :naughty:

This is a first for me.. expressing myself to strangers... it all started after I wrote a reply to a friend I met on the 28th gig.. and I realized that it is such a pity I can write that in a private PM and not in a thread.. where am sure there might be many others who feel the same way... Please have an open mind.. this is not a personal attack on anyone.. it is just me expressing myself.. please don’t see this as me trying to change anyone’s view or level of love to their favorite artist .

I did not include this in the brixton after part thread, cause it is not really about that day in particular...

Here it goes, it’s a copy/paste from what started as a private PM

I have to admit.. I had low expectations before i went to the concert.. I knew that the show will be good... he is an excellent live performer.. but the concert was much better.. I guess because he was relaxed... and in a good mood

Now the after party is a completely different story altogether.. There were moments were I actually felt a little weird, cause I did not want to be associated with some of the insanity around me...

I have too much class and dignity in me to be seen as part of some of the “fans”. To be honest, I don’t think I can ever like someone that much to the extent of downgrading myself into the level that I saw some of them do.. I do not see myself ever being so out of control like that (not even when I was a foolish 12 year old teenager)...

I genuinely adore his music.. and would love to see him again and again live.. and buy his CDs and DVDs.. but I do not fancy him the way the others do.. again, I am still very happy that I got the chance to hear the 5 minutes toast, hell, I even enthusiastically told him that I came from Lebanon.. but that was in the beginning, before I realized that the over all attitude is a little bit “obsessive” and quickly realized that I definitely do not want to be part of it.. and hung around the other mature crowd..

The things that I saw were, to say the least, on the weird side... I saw 50 something women cry because she wanted a pink bracelet, I saw people poking him on his back (in fact one of them was standing next to me when she did that to him, and I quickly moved away, in case he thought it was me), I also feel weird when some of them talk about him as if he is their “future boyfriend “or “husband to be”.. I understand that he is a good looking guy.. because he is.. but he is a performer... a singer... and it just baffles me that they seem to forget he is a singer/performer and not a “man” first. It is his music that we are in love with and not the color of his underwear.. trust me, I know how much “image” means to any product I sell.. but his main selling point is his music...

Maybe I am used to it.. in my job I meet a lot of celebrities.. and some of my friends made it big where I live.. so this whole “idolization” fantasy is just not in my system...

This whole thing made me less enthusiastic about the MFC (please don’t take it in the wrong way)... with the exception of meeting you guys.. about 20 very decent ladies.. I really sometimes wonder if it is not a little too creepy for my liking... there are so many amazing people in hear.. I even hate myself for saying what I am saying..

I mean...

There are people who talk about the fact that they know or want to know where he lives???? Now, WHY??? Really? I do not ask my gynecologist for his home address after he is done with my pap smear??? Why should they even care??? Or ask about it after they are done watching his gig.. after all, we are just paying customers for a lovely entertaining service.. the 24 pounds does not entitle them to anything more than what he decides to give as a bonus within his show (an encore, or an autograph, etc..)

Seriously, thank god for meeting some of you guys in London, otherwise, I would have felt so weird being part of the MFC..... although I was a fan since last Jan, I did not feel the need to be part of the MFC.. glad I eventually subscribed... after all I met lovely people because of it..

Ok, now.. now that I have ventilated and got that out of my system .. sorry if what I said might offend anyone.. I just needed to get it out of my system...

Racha, I admire your guts for saying this.

I'm sure some agree with a lot of your points' they're very good and well thought out and I can completely see where you're comming from :)

What is this about the afterparties that so many people talk of?

How do they get in and etc?

I agree with you completely on some of your points... Well most actually ;) But I can see why you are a little cautious about saying it ;)

I agree with you. I too think that some people are going to far in their obsession. From what I've been told (not sure if it's true though) some even followed him to his house! That's not obsessive anymore, that's sick.

I make fun of those things, making comments about it. But I do it in good fun. Imagine yourself in his shoes, would you like it if strangers (yes we're strangers to him though many may think otherwise) kept touching and mobbing you and even chased you? I don't think so...

This is a first for me.. expressing myself to strangers... it all started after I wrote a reply to a friend I met on the 28th gig.. and I realized that it is such a pity I can write that in a private PM and not in a thread.. where am sure there might be many others who feel the same way... Please have an open mind.. this is not a personal attack on anyone.. it is just me expressing myself.. please don’t see this as me trying to change anyone’s view or level of love to their favorite artist .

I did not include this in the brixton after part thread, cause it is not really about that day in particular...

Here it goes, it’s a copy/paste from what started as a private PM

I have to admit.. I had low expectations before i went to the concert.. I knew that the show will be good... he is an excellent live performer.. but the concert was much better.. I guess because he was relaxed... and in a good mood

Now the after party is a completely different story altogether.. There were moments were I actually felt a little weird, cause I did not want to be associated with some of the insanity around me...

I have too much class and dignity in me to be seen as part of some of the “fans”. To be honest, I don’t think I can ever like someone that much to the extent of downgrading myself into the level that I saw some of them do.. I do not see myself ever being so out of control like that (not even when I was a foolish 12 year old teenager)...

I genuinely adore his music.. and would love to see him again and again live.. and buy his CDs and DVDs.. but I do not fancy him the way the others do.. again, I am still very happy that I got the chance to hear the 5 minutes toast, hell, I even enthusiastically told him that I came from Lebanon.. but that was in the beginning, before I realized that the over all attitude is a little bit “obsessive” and quickly realized that I definitely do not want to be part of it.. and hung around the other mature crowd..

The things that I saw were, to say the least, on the weird side... I saw 50 something women cry because she wanted a pink bracelet, I saw people poking him on his back (in fact one of them was standing next to me when she did that to him, and I quickly moved away, in case he thought it was me), I also feel weird when some of them talk about him as if he is their “future boyfriend “or “husband to be”.. I understand that he is a good looking guy.. because he is.. but he is a performer... a singer... and it just baffles me that they seem to forget he is a singer/performer and not a “man” first. It is his music that we are in love with and not the color of his underwear.. trust me, I know how much “image” means to any product I sell.. but his main selling point is his music...

Maybe I am used to it.. in my job I meet a lot of celebrities.. and some of my friends made it big where I live.. so this whole “idolization” fantasy is just not in my system...

This whole thing made me less enthusiastic about the MFC (please don’t take it in the wrong way)... with the exception of meeting you guys.. about 20 very decent ladies.. I really sometimes wonder if it is not a little too creepy for my liking... there are so many amazing people in hear.. I even hate myself for saying what I am saying..

I mean...

There are people who talk about the fact that they know or want to know where he lives???? Now, WHY??? Really? I do not ask my gynecologist for his home address after he is done with my pap smear??? Why should they even care??? Or ask about it after they are done watching his gig.. after all, we are just paying customers for a lovely entertaining service.. the 24 pounds does not entitle them to anything more than what he decides to give as a bonus within his show (an encore, or an autograph, etc..)

Seriously, thank god for meeting some of you guys in London, otherwise, I would have felt so weird being part of the MFC..... although I was a fan since last Jan, I did not feel the need to be part of the MFC.. glad I eventually subscribed... after all I met lovely people because of it..

Ok, now.. now that I have ventilated and got that out of my system .. sorry if what I said might offend anyone.. I just needed to get it out of my system...

WOW! One of the best posts I've ever read on the MFC, really:thumb_yello: So much common sense. I completely agree, racha. I think fanaticism humiliates both a performer and his fans. Mika deserves much more than 'I want your babies'- admiration.