Freddies English Teaching Course

Wow, that plum thing was weird, I have never heard that before :lmfao:

Guys... More clever, or cleverer? I´ve seen both...

I'd say more clever just because cleverer sounds so awkward but I've seen both too

I think that 'cleverer' is a mistake, and the correct way is 'more clever', but I may be wrong!

Wow, that plum thing was weird, I have never heard that before :lmfao:

I think that 'cleverer' is a mistake, and the correct way is 'more clever', but I may be wrong!

Long time no see :naughty:

As for clever, you can use both. So Cleverer and more clever are both correct.

I would never say cleverer just because it's an awkward word. It's very hard to spit out. (At least with a Canadian accent.) But I can't imagine too many occassions in life that one would have the need to say cleverer/more clever anyway. :naughty:

Long time no see :naughty:

As for clever, you can use both. So Cleverer and more clever are both correct.

Thanks. For some reason Cleverer just doesn't sound right to me!

Yeah, *cough* I tend to stay in the more low key threads these days :naughty: *cough*

I would never say cleverer just because it's an awkward word. It's very hard to spit out. (At least with a Canadian accent.) But I can't imagine too many occassions in life that one would have the need to say cleverer/more clever anyway. :naughty:

yes, it just sounds odd!

Thanks. For some reason Cleverer just doesn't sound right to me!

Yeah, *cough* I tend to stay in the more low key threads these days :naughty: *cough*

That's a shame because Mika just made some really outrageous comments about Catholicism yesterday that I'm sure you'd have an opinion on. :mf_rosetinted:

Thank you very much. Cleverer sounds odd to me too. I think I´ll use "more clever" from now on. Thanks!

I've seen and used both too.:wink2: How is your exam preparation going Rosa? Have you got a lot of homework too?

No, I don´t have any homework... I don´t know how to explain it.. I´m like a freelance, I´m not in any course, I´m preparing it on my own and will try and pass the exam by myself. Most likely I will fail :aah: but I wanted to try in order to know how it was. There are 4 exams: writing, listening, monologue and dialogue. Everybody says the listening is the hardest. But I kind of get blocked when it comes to speak to someone, so if that someone is a teacher who is going to evaluate you, I bet I´ll be speechless, with this face :shocked: and the man will kick me off the room after a couple of minutes :mf_rosetinted:

Yes for the CAE (certificate in advance English), there are different papers: use of English (=grammar), reading, listening and speaking. There are a few websites to help you:

http://www.flo-joe.co.uk

http://www.examenglish.com/CAE/

http://englishtests.ucoz.com/index/0-31

That's really brave of you to do it on your own! I passed this exam 2 years ago but I had a 40-hour preparation.

Yes for the CAE (certificate in advance English), there are different papers: use of English (=grammar), reading, listening and speaking. There are a few websites to help you:

http://www.flo-joe.co.uk

http://www.examenglish.com/CAE/

http://englishtests.ucoz.com/index/0-31

That's really brave of you to do it on your own! I passed this exam 2 years ago but I had a 40-hour preparation.

Oh thank you very much!! I´m not brave, just suicidal :mf_rosetinted:

English speakers, can you explain to me what a photo/image application is? :blink:

What is the context? "Application" can mean software so if that fits the context then they are talking about Photoshop or something similar.

What is the context? "Application" can mean software so if that fits the context then they are talking about Photoshop or something similar.

Yes it does. I thought they were talking about photoshop or something similar, but I wasn't sure. Thanks.

• 5 months later...

I've just looked up the German word "Gedankenexperiment" in the dictionary and exactly the same word came up as translation. Do you really use the word "gedankenexperiment" if you are thinking about what would be / what would happen assuming something would be the case? Or is there another/better English word?

I've just looked up the German word "Gedankenexperiment" in the dictionary and exactly the same word came up as translation. Do you really use the word "gedankenexperiment" if you are thinking about what would be / what would happen assuming something would be the case? Or is there another/better English word?

Hi! Here is a quotation I found: "Let's conduct a thought experiment, or as Albert Einstein would say, gedanken experimenten"

source: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=131363

I love this website :wink2: and find it very useful.

Thanks for your research, macboll :original::thumb_yello:

In the end I changed my sentence and now I'm using "imaginary" instead, I think it expresses more what I wanted to say, it just didn't came to my mind in the beginning :doh:

you're welcome :wink2:

• 2 weeks later...

A short and maybe a little bit strange question 001_rolleyes.gif Is it possible to use "I find", meaning "I think", in English? For example as in "I find it hilarious". No, right? :aah: My feeling about wrong and right just left me :doh:, somehow I just got confused with too many languages. In German we are using "Ich finde" all the time, and "je trouve" is used in French as well, and now "I find" feels wrong and right at the same time :aah:

Edited by DerMoment1608

A short and maybe a little bit strange question 001_rolleyes.gif Is it possible to use "I find", meaning "I think", in English? For example "I find it hilarious" No, right? :aah: My feeling about wrong and right just left me :doh:, somehow I just got confused with too many languages. In German we are using "Ich finde" all the time, and "je trouve" is used in French as well, and now "I find" feels wrong and right at the same time :aah:

Seems right to me :thumb_yello:

Seems right to me :thumb_yello:

Yes it's right in English too. I find it hilarious is a good example.

Thank you both :thumb_yello: So I didn't wrote nonsense after all :naughty:

Edit: And I can say "I find that he is a very nice person" as well?

Edited by DerMoment1608