Freddies English Teaching Course

Yes that's a tough one. You would want to catch problems before they happen or before they become worse. But you would face a problem head on in order to solve it as quickly as possible, rather than trying to avoid it.

thanks for explaining :thumb_yello:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi! I've got exercices to do as I'm preparing for the proficiency in English examination. We have to learn lots of idioms and phrasal verbs. Could someone help me with the following questions, please?

Why might the following be on a knife-edge?

a) a president

b) the economy

c) a drug addict

For the economy, I've answered this: the economy is balanced precariously between collapse and salvation.

If a salver is silver-plated, name an object that is

a) copper-plated

b) chrome-plated

c) gold-plated

I can't find any word with one letter different, like gild, chrame,...like the example given. I would have answered a kettle, pipes for a), a car bumper, a tool, taps for b) or a watch, jewelry, a medal for c)

I may have other questions later on. Thanks for your help!

Hi! I've got exercices to do as I'm preparing for the proficiency in English examination. We have to learn lots of idioms and phrasal verbs. Could someone help me with the following questions, please?

a) a president

b) the economy

c) a drug addict

For the economy, I've answered this: the economy is balanced precariously between collapse and salvation.

a) copper-plated

b) chrome-plated

c) gold-plated

I can't find any word with one letter different, like gild, chrame,...like the example given. I would have answered a kettle, pipes for a), a car bumper, a tool, taps for b) or a watch, jewelry, a medal for c)

I may have other questions later on. Thanks for your help!

those are the strangest english testing questions i've ever seen in my life!:shocked:

the first question is worded incorrectly unless they mean u have to give a reason why each option is on a knife's edge (which doesn't make sense because that term isn't commonly applied to a person, but a thing. however a person can be 'on the edge' or 'on edge') Anyways i agree with your answer and your reason.

the second question...there are no words i know of with one letter different as well...and salver is not a commonly used term anymore either :aah: so i would say go with your listing of things that have different platings..

good luck and I don't envy you this exam at all!:teehee:

those are the strangest english testing questions i've ever seen in my life!:shocked:

the first question is worded incorrectly unless they mean u have to give a reason why each option is on a knife's edge (which doesn't make sense because that term isn't commonly applied to a person, but a thing. however a person can be 'on the edge' or 'on edge') Anyways i agree with your answer and your reason.

the second question...there are no words i know of with one letter different as well...and salver is not a commonly used term anymore either :aah: so i would say go with your listing of things that have different platings..

good luck and I don't envy you this exam at all!:teehee:

:huglove: thank you nas! I've got other questions as thrilling as the last ones :fisch:

Why might each of the following have been foil-wrapped?

a) a soft cheese

b) cat food

c) baked potatoes

a) to store them the best way as they are extremely moist

b) to wrap and preserve the food (tin food, cat pouches)

c) to cook them (a recipe)

would be my answers

a) a president

b) the economy

c) a drug addict

I guess a president could be on a knife edge if he is running for re-election in a tight race or perhaps having to make a foreign policy decision that could result in war. For a drug addict I would say if they were faced with making a choice of leading a life of crime to feed their addiction or getting clean.

But I agree with Nas that it's not applied to a person and that in my examples it is the presidency/the fate of the country or the drug addict's life that is on a knife edge and not the person themselves.

a) copper-plated

b) chrome-plated

c) gold-plated

For gold you could say a gilt frame but I have never even heard of a salver so I don't know if they are expecting you to match that. I think the answers you have given are good. :dunno:

:huglove: thank you nas! I've got other questions as thrilling as the last ones :fisch:

Why might each of the following have been foil-wrapped?

a) a soft cheese

b) cat food

c) baked potatoes

a) to store them the best way as they are extremely moist

b) to wrap and preserve the food (tin food, cat pouches)

c) to cook them (a recipe)

would be my answers

great answers!!:thumb_yello:

now that makes me think you should give reasons the president and the drug addict would be on knife-edge since the question wants you to give a reason for each...

great answers!!:thumb_yello:

now that makes me think you should give reasons the president and the drug addict would be on knife-edge since the question wants you to give a reason for each...

If you've got examples, they will be welcome :wink2:

Who or what would you describe as

a) flesh-eating? a bacteria

b) beer-swilling? a hooligan

c) blood-sucking? a mosquito, a vampire

What might be

a) oven-proof? a dish

b) foolproof? an idea

c) tamper-proof? screws, seals

What might be

a) oven-proof? a dish

b) foolproof? an idea

What kind of english exam are you going to take? Never seen questions like that before :blink:

Interesting. Post more questions :naughty:

Thank you Ruth, I knew you'd be the one interested by these tricky vovabulary questions :naughty:

There's still this one tant is unanswered:

Why might a president be on a knife-edge?

Why might a drug addict be on a knife-edge?

And maybe you've got clues for this one:

If a salver is silver-plated, name an object that is copper-plated/ chrome-plated/ gold-plated?

:wink2:

What might be

a) oven-proof? a dish

b) foolproof? an idea

good answers again!

about the president - maybe because he's worried about the country, about to be accused of corruption...

the drug addict because he's running out of money or about to over dose...anyone else has any suggestions? :teehee:

Is that correct?

How would someone look or behave if they were...

clown-like?

doll-like?

owl_like?

I've answered: They would look like a clown wearing weird clothes, bright colours, with grotesque make-up. They would behave like a clown if they behave in a foolish manner.

They would look perfect, flawless like a doll with a porcelain skin.

They would look like an owl if they have got large eyes.

Is that correct?

clown-like?

doll-like?

owl_like?

I've answered: They would look like a clown wearing weird clothes, bright colours, with grotesque make-up. They would behave like a clown if they behave in a foolish manner.

i'd add they behave like a clown if they're always joking around or acting out physical humour...for the doll- what you said, with perfect make-up, and hair...for the owl - especially if they had large round glasses/spectacles...

Thank you Ruth, I knew you'd be the one interested by these tricky vovabulary questions :naughty:

There's still this one tant is unanswered:

Why might a president be on a knife-edge?

Why might a drug addict be on a knife-edge?

And maybe you've got clues for this one:

If a salver is silver-plated, name an object that is copper-plated/ chrome-plated/ gold-plated?

:wink2:

As someone has said the knife edge ones are about a person's situation - when something is evenly balanced. A knife edge for a president might be the close call in an election; for a drug addict, the knife edge could be what dreadful deed he'll do for his next fix or will he cope.

A salver is a posh serving platter, so it's more literal than the others: copper-plated pan? chrome-plated headlamp or bumper on a car and gold-plated jewelry etc

good answers again!

about the president - maybe because he's worried about the country, about to be accused of corruption...

the drug addict because he's running out of money or about to over dose...anyone else has any suggestions? :teehee:

So here the president may have to take his country to war (or not) and his corruption may be found out (or not); it's in the balance

Is that correct?

clown-like?

doll-like?

owl_like?

I'd be inclined towards behaviour for clown like - behave like a fool; not really about the clothes.

Appearance is right for doll-like as you said, also with perfectly sweet behaviour.

Owl-like: clever, intelligent looking/blinking - as if woken from a deep sleep/large eyes/large specs, I think.

Edited by Ruth

I guess a president could be on a knife edge if he is running for re-election in a tight race or perhaps having to make a foreign policy decision that could result in war. For a drug addict I would say if they were faced with making a choice of leading a life of crime to feed their addiction or getting clean.

But I agree with Nas that it's not applied to a person and that in my examples it is the presidency/the fate of the country or the drug addict's life that is on a knife edge and not the person themselves.

For gold you could say a gilt frame but I have never even heard of a salver so I don't know if they are expecting you to match that. I think the answers you have given are good. :dunno:

Muriel did you see my answers? Well it looks like you're all set anyway. :wink2:

I hope you will be deemed a virtual native speaker after this! It's difficult enough.

• 1 month later...
FOR GODS SAKE!!! Im also taken my Advanced certificate in English next June but fortunately it has NOTHING to do with yours!!

Im sure Ill come here to ask things when I get the summary but these questions you posted are way too weird!! :shocked:

I passed it 2 years ago. Good luck, Rosa :huglove: Do you have lots of homework too?

I'll take the Proficiency exam in June.

I would need some help from natives again...My answers are in italic. The verb or form I have to use are bolded. Thanks a lot to whoever can help me :huglove:

Complete these sentences using the verbs in brackets in a suitable tense. You will need to use a passive (P) or a modal (M) sometimes.

a) In 17th Cy France, a nobleman's education was thought was thought think (P) to be incomplete until he mastered master the art of carving.

b) From the 16th Cy, women seem to ................... carve meat at British tables, though by the mid-19th Cy, carving at formal meals was carried out carry out (P) mainly by servants.

c) The French insist + always that salad should be torn tear (M) + (P) rather than cut with a knife, a rule which probably arose arise in order to eliminate the taste of metal-lettuce dressed dress (P) with oil and vinegar or lemon, which would react react (M) with some metals.

d) Arriving in Athens pursued by the Furies because he had murdered murder his mother, Orestes was given give (P) dinner, but so horrified were the other diners that they ate eat in silence and drank drink drom a separate pitcher.

e) Although live_in household staff continued continue to be the norm in America up until the 1920s, their numbers had started start to decline in Europe much earlier.

f) For the last hundred years, the separate tiers of a British wedding cake was supportedsupport by pillars, although more recently, upturned champagne glasses are chosen choose (P) by some couples as a variant.

I would need some help from natives again...My answers are in italic. The verb or form I have to use are bolded. Thanks a lot to whoever can help me :huglove:

Complete these sentences using the verbs in brackets in a suitable tense. You will need to use a passive (P) or a modal (M) sometimes.

a) In 17th Cy France, a nobleman's education was thought was thought think (P) to be incomplete until he mastered master the art of carving.

b) From the 16th Cy, women seem to ................... carve meat at British tables, though by the mid-19th Cy, carving at formal meals was carried out carry out (P) mainly by servants.

c) The French insist + always that salad should be torn tear (M) + (P) rather than cut with a knife, a rule which probably arose arise in order to eliminate the taste of metal-lettuce dressed dress (P) with oil and vinegar or lemon, which would react react (M) with some metals.

d) Arriving in Athens pursued by the Furies because he had murdered murder his mother, Orestes was given give (P) dinner, but so horrified were the other diners that they ate eat in silence and drank drink drom a separate pitcher.

e) Although live_in household staff continued continue to be the norm in America up until the 1920s, their numbers had started start to decline in Europe much earlier.

f) For the last hundred years, the separate tiers of a British wedding cake was supportedsupport by pillars, although more recently, upturned champagne glasses are chosen choose (P) by some couples as a variant.

It looks pretty accurate to me. :thumb_yello:

I think this should be "were supported" as tiers is plural.

Good luck!!