Freddies English Teaching Course

This is why I think they should teach you to think in another language using your own language first. I think it would be a lot quicker to adjust to and then you would just have to learn to substitute foreign words for your own (ie literally translate). I can do the last bit but I can't think in French grammar. :naughty:

I had to do that "thought adjustment" living in South Africa and the UK although obviously it's less extreme than jumping from English to a romance language.

I think it´d take a lot of time and effort to make us think in "english" using my language. I mean... you see, the sentence "the red car" is quite simple. Well,first of all we don´t have an article (the "the" here is called article) which works for every word. "car" in spanish is male. And the adjective is NEVER before the noun... In English, adjectives don´t vary. So, this simple change: "the red cars" would make a total different sentence in Spanish. See:

The red car

El coche rojo.

The red cars.

Los coches rojos.

I can´t learn how to think that way using Spanish :aah: There are things I learnt to do. For example, in this sentence:

"The people I worked with"

The fact that you place the "with" at the end of the sentence is the oddest thing I ever saw :aah: Since I have nothing similar in Spanish, I learnt this and I do it naturally now (ok, most of the times, please, don´t post here the 9825189278927 posts where I made typos :mf_rosetinted:), but there are many many things, most of them the phrasal verbs that I still need to stop and think in order to do it fine.

It´s better when I can write, since it´s the way how I learnt this language and the way how I most use it. But for the certificate I´ll have to do two speeches. And even though I now talk to my wall, and try to "work out" my brain, I think it´s really complicate, and unless the subject is Mika, I´m not sure I´ll be able to do it fine :aah:

The speech of the last year was about Vivien Westwood, so maybe I still have a chance about Mika :lmfao:

So, please, don´t hate me if I start asking here like crazy :aah:

In English, adjectives don´t vary.

I have never given this any thought. And that's the thing - if you can absorb grammar by a sort of osmosis you never think about it and it's not a struggle. That's why it's difficult to answer some of the questions that you ask other than saying "this is right" and "that is wrong". I don't construct a sentence based on conscious rules and that's why learning a second language is so difficult (for me) as an adult. All of these conscious thoughts about grammar are just a huge roadblock rather than an aide.

It would be much easier to just learn to say...

The red car

El coche rojo.

The red cars.

Los coches rojos.

"The car red" or "The cars reds". In the same way I learned all those English dialect quirks that we don't have in Canada or that you never even see in writing in the UK.

I have never given this any thought. And that's the thing - if you can absorb grammar by a sort of osmosis you never think about it and it's not a struggle. That's why it's difficult to answer some of the questions that you ask other than saying "this is right" and "that is wrong". I don't construct a sentence based on conscious rules and that's why learning a second language is so difficult (for me) as an adult. All of these conscious thoughts about grammar are just a huge roadblock rather than an aide.

It would be much easier to just learn to say...

"The car red" or "The cars reds". In the same way I learned all those English dialect quirks that we don't have in Canada or that you never even see in writing in the UK.

I think I don´t get it, sorry :aah:

Of course it´d be much easier if I just could change "car" for "coche" and that´s it.

You are right, our minds work in a way when we learn a language, and so then, learning a new language is quite complicated. My son, for the record, is learning two languages at a time, Spanish and Valenciano, but they have the same way of making sentences, so we just have to change "coche" for "cotxe".

Now I´m starting to speak in English to him. Mostly in the mornings, before going to school, cause I´ve been told that his brain is more receptive at that time of the day (LOL) and I realised the other day, how this new language is working on him. Now he already knows what to do when I say: "brush your teeth, wash your hands,take your sleeves, put the sandwich in your bag, let´s go" etc. So I was helping him to put his sweater on, and so his t-shirt sleeves wouldn´t roll up, I told him: "Asier, take your sleeves" and he did it. And right after that, I asked: "what´s a sleeve?" and he looked at me like :shocked: and said: "how on Earth am I going to know what´s that?" Same happened when I asked about "teeth". He knows what to do when I give him these orders and he never confuses "brush your teeth" with "wash your hands"... and that´s something I don´t understand. Probably he is so young that his brain may be able to learn three languages at a time (tho I seriously doubt it). I don´t know... and I don´t have a logical explanation for this.

Probably he is so young that his brain may be able to learn three languages at a time (tho I seriously doubt it). I don´t know... and I don´t have a logical explanation for this.

He should be able to learn 3 languages at the same time.

It´s better when I can write, since it´s the way how I learnt this language and the way how I most use it. But for the certificate I´ll have to do two speeches. And even though I now talk to my wall, and try to "work out" my brain, I think it´s really complicate, and unless the subject is Mika, I´m not sure I´ll be able to do it fine :aah:

The speech of the last year was about Vivien Westwood, so maybe I still have a chance about Mika :lmfao:

i figure that means your speech is about mika? :das::naughty:

feel free to ask away - personally i like questions - but only when they're not graded :aah:

exactly! :thumb_yello: sometimes it's hard to tell u why something is wrong it's just..wrong :aah: all those terms like 'phrasal' or 'modal' i had no idea what they meant until i started learning french..i just never learnt english grammar rules..just by immersion..

I think I don´t get it, sorry :aah:

Probably he is so young that his brain may be able to learn three languages at a time (tho I seriously doubt it). I don´t know... and I don´t have a logical explanation for this.

i think he's learning by osmosis and your motions/inflections..he's young so learning 3 languages should be easy :thumb_yello:

exactly! :thumb_yello: sometimes it's hard to tell u why something is wrong it's just..wrong :aah: all those terms like 'phrasal' or 'modal' i had no idea what they meant until i started learning french..i just never learnt english grammar rules..just by immersion..

Yes I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way we learned English. I think there is something wrong with the methods they use to try to teach adults a second language. I know our neural pathways become less plastic, etc. after a certain age but it seems ridiculous that something that is almost as natural as breathing for a 3 year old requires all this conscious effort and studying abstract concepts in adults.

Yes I don't think that there is anything wrong with the way we learned English. I think there is something wrong with the methods they use to try to teach adults a second language. I know our neural pathways become less plastic, etc. after a certain age but it seems ridiculous that something that is almost as natural as breathing for a 3 year old requires all this conscious effort and studying abstract concepts in adults.

YES!

I feel there's a lot of $ to be made if we can figure out this one..:aah:

I can´t learn how to think that way using Spanish :aah: There are things I learnt to do. For example, in this sentence:

"The people I worked with"

The fact that you place the "with" at the end of the sentence is the oddest thing I ever saw :aah: Since I have nothing similar in Spanish, I learnt this and I do it naturally now (ok, most of the times, please, don´t post here the 9825189278927 posts where I made typos :mf_rosetinted:), but there are many many things, most of them the phrasal verbs that I still need to stop and think in order to do it fine.

I think we love to be asked :)

In old formal English, we would have said 'The people with whom I worked' so that we didn't end a sentence with a preposition, but hardly anyone speaks, or even writes like that now.

Yes

and, oh gosh, yes!!!!

But it doesn't.

I wouldn' throw all English teached in shools or training courses away but the real deal doesn't begin untill you start to read books and papers, watching films and TV series without subtexts and most of all have conversations where you have to express your own thoughts and ideas in English.

The Internet has been the most valuable source for me in learning and training my English! Of course I had the basics from school but that is nothing compared to what I've learned those Internet years!:blush-anim-cl:

But it doesn't.

I wouldn' throw all English teached in shools or training courses away but the real deal doesn't begin untill you start to read books and papers, watching films and TV series without subtexts and most of all have conversations where you have to express your own thoughts and ideas in English.

The Internet has been the most valuable source for me in learning and training my English! Of course I had the basics from school but that is nothing compared to what I've learned those Internet years!:blush-anim-cl:

I totally agree! My English is not perfect but it's waaaay better than my Swedish. I've studied English since I was 9 years old and Swedish since I was 10 so not that much of a difference there. It's just that I don't hear Swedish that much and I only use it at school.

But it doesn't.

I totally agree with you! I started learning English when I was 14 years old, so it was 4 years ago and I have to say, most of my knowledge comes from lyrics, books, movies and TV series. In my class we have two English groups - one for those who are good at English and one for those who aren't. I've studied German for 8 years before high school so I automatically got into the second group. Now, almost 4 years after, my group mates can barely create a correct sentence in English while I'm preparing for my English final exam on my own, a year earlier than it would be necessary. I know that I still make mistakes both in grammar and spelling but at least, as you said, I can express my thoughts in English. Writing here is still a big deal for me because I understand almost everything but when I'm posting a reply I'm always worried that people won't understand what I wanted to say. :blush-anim-cl:

I totally agree with you! I started learning English when I was 14 years old, so it was 4 years ago and I have to say, most of my knowledge comes from lyrics, books, movies and TV series. In my class we have two English groups - one for those who are good at English and one for those who aren't. I've studied German for 8 years before high school so I automatically got into the second group. Now, almost 4 years after, my group mates can barely create a correct sentence in English while I'm preparing for my English final exam on my own, a year earlier than it would be necessary. I know that I still make mistakes both in grammar and spelling but at least, as you said, I can express my thoughts in English. Writing here is still a big deal for me because I understand almost everything but when I'm posting a reply I'm always worried that people won't understand what I wanted to say. :blush-anim-cl:

Your English is virtually flawless so don't feel self-conscious!! :thumb_yello:

I think the only thing that would give you away as a non-native speaker is when you say "I've studied German". You can say "I've studied German for 8 years" (meaning you have studied German for the past 8 years from the present) or "I studied German for 8 years before high school". But really your intention is very clear so you don't have to worry about being misunderstood. And I make much more obvious errors when typing on a message board. I have a habit of saying the exact opposite of what I meant to by leaving out the word "not" and that kind of thing. :aah:

Your English is virtually flawless so don't feel self-conscious!! :thumb_yello:

I think the only thing that would give you away as a non-native speaker is when you say "I've studied German". You can say "I've studied German for 8 years" (meaning you have studied German for the past 8 years from the present) or "I studied German for 8 years before high school". But really your intention is very clear so you don't have to worry about being misunderstood. And I make much more obvious errors when typing on a message board. I have a habit of saying the exact opposite of what I meant to by leaving out the word "not" and that kind of thing. :aah:

Thank you! It feels really good to hear it! :huglove:

Also thanks for the correction, it was really useful! And that's why I read everything twice before posting to avoid these kind of mistakes, though it doesn't always help :biggrin2:

Please,guys... any remarkable difference between "give in" and "give up"?

I would use "give in" in a case where, for example, someone was asking you to do something that you are hesitant to do and eventually you agree to it. So let's say your son is asking you to take him to McDonald's but you don't feel like driving and don't really want him to each junk food. But eventually you give in because he makes a cute face and promises to be a good boy.

I would use "give up" in a case where you are trying to do something or convince someone but it's not working so you stop trying. So let's say your son is making his cute faces and promises to be a good boy but eventually he gives up and eats his vegetables because he knows he can't persuade you to take him to McDonald's.

I would use "give in" in a case where, for example, someone was asking you to do something that you are hesitant to do and eventually you agree to it. So let's say your son is asking you to take him to McDonald's but you don't feel like driving and don't really want him to each junk food. But eventually you give in because he makes a cute face and promises to be a good boy.

I would use "give up" in a case where you are trying to do something or convince someone but it's not working so you stop trying. So let's say your son is making his cute faces and promises to be a good boy but eventually he gives up and eats his vegetables because he knows he can't persuade you to take him to McDonald's.

L.M.F.A.O.!!!!!! Best explanation EVER!! :lmfao:

I understand it. Give in it´s more like in a cute way, or even "surrender" and give up it´s more like "Oh f*ck, I can´t get it" LOOOL

Thank you very much!

Well done girls! All your answers and explanations given last time were perfect! :thumb_yello:

I've got a vocabulary question this time:

What does the expression "to be something of a plum" means?

Here's the extract from the text: "Lucy thought that her appointment had probably been a piece of good fortune. She refused to allow the word luck. She was young yet, and this was something of a plum. She must have got the job on her merits (...)"

Here's the extract from the text: "Lucy thought that her appointment had probably been a piece of good fortune. She refused to allow the word luck. She was young yet, and this was something of a plum. She must have got the job on her merits (...)"

i have never heard that expression in my life and can't even work out from the context exactly what it means. :blink:

Well done girls! All your answers and explanations given last time were perfect! :thumb_yello:

Sorry never heard that expression before :dunno:

"Plum" in this context means a prize or something special - landing a "plum" job would be getting a post that everyone else wanted because of its prestige or because you get paid a lot for not much work :naughty:

"Plum" in this context means a prize or something special - landing a "plum" job would be getting a post that everyone else wanted because of its prestige or because you get paid a lot for not much work :naughty:

Oh right so by "something" they mean the job. It's a very awkward sentence.

Thanks a lot Silver! :thumb_yello:I also showed this to 2 of my colleagues and 1 customer (an English girl, a Scotsman, an Islandic), they didn't know what it meant either. Thanks to Christine and Nas who racked their brains to help me :huglove: