Freddies English Teaching Course

c-

the french have always insisted that salad should be torn rather than cut with a knife, a rule which probably arose in order to eliminate the taste of metal (in) lettuce dressed with oil and vinegar or lemon, which would react with some metals

b looks weird...maybe someone else want to give it a try :naughty:

b) From the 16th Cy, women seem to ................... carve meat at British tables, though by the mid-19th Cy, carving at formal meals was carried out carry out (P) mainly by servants.

I would have said

From the 16th c., women seem to have carved meat at British tables, though by the mid-19th c., carving at formal meals was carried out mainly by servants.

Otherwise the tense switches from present to past, which is why the sentence reads oddly.

And we probably wouldn't abbreviate century at all :dunno:

Edited by silver

And we probably wouldn't abbreviate century at all :dunno:

I assumed she was abbreviating it in her post for expediency's sake and that's not how the sentence would read. I just wanted to point out that English speakers would never use Cy. If it wasn't for the context I would not have known what was meant.

I assumed she was abbreviating it in her post for expediency's sake and that's not how the sentence would read. I just wanted to point out that English speakers would never use Cy. If it wasn't for the context I would not have known what was meant.

That's it Christine :wink2: Thanks for your correction! I wanted to use an abbreviation for the word "century". It will make me a better (and brighter) student :thumb_yello:

Ok, let´s see if I can explain myself about this question...

This sentence: "If I had worked it would have been easier for me" is right, ok? but then, this other sentence: "Had I worked it would have been easier for me" is ok as well?

Do they mean the same? Is the second one a politer way to say the same?

Rosa I'd say it's the same thing. I don't think politeness is a factor.

But in the second one, the "order" of the words it´s altered... I mean... first thing we are taught is that in English, the order is "noun-verb" when the sentence is affirmative.

Is this "order alteration" normal in conditional sentences? I know it also happens in sentences like "no way was I going to do that again"... but... is there a rule I can remember?

A new one: when you are checking a list of things you should have done, and you did one, you can say:

"-buying food to have dinner: DONE" ??

And then, if the task is not done, is this correct?:

"-buying food to have dinner: UNDONE"

(Undone sounds to me like crying desperately :aah:)

Maybe "not done" is better?

A new one: when you are checking a list of things you should have done, and you did one, you can say:

'Not done', definitely :thumb_yello:

Aaaand.... so a new question (no need to say I´m preparing my certificate, right?).

Let me explain the situation. Two people are arguing and one of them decides to leave before things get worse. So the sentence is:

"I decided to leave wishing things were calmer when I would be back"

But I´m not sure about the use of "would" here. Would it be better to say: "I decided to leave wishing things were calmer when I were back" ?

The first one would be the literal translation from Spanish. I don´t know if you need more context...

"Undone" doesn't mean the same thing in "Dr John" either :wink2:

Aaaand.... so a new question (no need to say I´m preparing my certificate, right?).

Let me explain the situation. Two people are arguing and one of them decides to leave before things get worse. So the sentence is:

But I´m not sure about the use of "would" here. Would it be better to say: "I decided to leave wishing things were calmer when I were back" ?

The first one would be the literal translation from Spanish. I don´t know if you need more context...

I'd use would :thumb_yello:

hmm that's a really awkward sentence..

i would say: ' i decided to leave, hoping things would be calmer when i came back/ when i returned'

in your example above 'would' is the better option, however - 'were' would be very incorrect..:thumb_yello:

I'd use would :thumb_yello:

hmm that's a really awkward sentence..

i would say: ' i decided to leave, hoping things would be calmer when i came back/ when i returned'

in your example above 'would' is the better option, however - 'were' would be very incorrect..:thumb_yello:

Thanks! I see... so the conditional should affect to "things" instead of the comeback. Ok. It´s totally different in Spanish, jeez, this is so hard :aah:

It's the "things" you want to be calmer so the conditional tense relates to this.

I'd probably say "I decided to leave, wishing things would be calmer when I got back".

Actually I would probably use "hoping" rather than "wishing". :dunno:

Even though "calmer" is correct, I feel like the sentence would sound less awkward if you used "more calm" instead. Also saying "it" instead of "things" just sounds better to me.

I decided to leave, hoping it would be more calm when I got back.

You also don't even need "-er" or "more" next to calm. Since the situation you were talking about wasn't even calm to start with.

I decided to leave, hoping it would be calm I got back.

Again, it just sounds more proper to me this way. :aah:

Edited by cat_loves_mika

It's the "things" you want to be calmer so the conditional tense relates to this.

I'd probably say "I decided to leave, wishing things would be calmer when I got back".

Actually I would probably use "hoping" rather than "wishing". :dunno:

Oh Thanks Silver. I bet that being English speaker I might sound dumb, but I don´t "think" in English yet, so I need to translate almost everything, and it´s clear that literal translation is always the worst. :aah:

Even though "calmer" is correct, I feel like the sentence would sound less awkward if you used "more calm" instead. Also saying "it" instead of "things" just sounds better to me.

I decided to leave, hoping it would be more calm when I got back.

You also don't even need "-er" or "more" next to calm. Since the situation you were talking about wasn't even calm to start with.

I decided to leave, hoping it would be calm I got back.

Again, it just sounds more proper to me this way. :aah:

I just chose the worst possible way, huh? :mf_rosetinted:

Thank you very much, I´ll try to be more logical in the future.

Nah, who am I kidding? I´ll rely on this thread for the future :aah: I can´t be logical, since it´s not my language and it all sounds fine for me as long as it makes sense... That´s why I´ll ask a lot of things here :mf_rosetinted:

Oh Thanks Silver. I bet that being English speaker I might sound dumb, but I don´t "think" in English yet, so I need to translate almost everything, and it´s clear that literal translation is always the worst. :aah:

This is why I think they should teach you to think in another language using your own language first. I think it would be a lot quicker to adjust to and then you would just have to learn to substitute foreign words for your own (ie literally translate). I can do the last bit but I can't think in French grammar. :naughty:

I had to do that "thought adjustment" living in South Africa and the UK although obviously it's less extreme than jumping from English to a romance language.