Reviews dvd Parc Des Princes

Moonlightchild

Also loved the bit when Mika was in the van going to the venue and he was like: "That is my truck! And that one too! And that one!" :roftl:

This is the best bit, where you feel proud and excited for him after watching his career from the early stages. I still can't wrap my head around the fact that I was watching him in a club while tickets for this gig were on sale in France.

A lot of us have been lucky to see the best of both worlds.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mika and Es discuss the budget and design of a bird that flies above the stage but what you see during the concert just looks like CGI graphics. And a lot of the graphics that were used, probably to great effect for the audience, are lost here because the cameras don't get a long shot of the stage head-on at the right moments (as you could see in a lot of the photographs and fan videos that surfaced in July).

That may be the case at times today but that was a battle very hard fought. There have been times in the past when any "negative" talk about Mika was treated as blasphemy and as Bab mentions, you'd be told that you were a bad fan and that you have no business being on MFC. This happened not just when his work was critiqued but anything that was deemed "negative".

I wondered about the bird too.

What were people being negative about if not his work? Without examples, I'd suggest that really only his work (creative, presentational and administrative) is up for serious debate. His character too, I guess- but we pretty much only see this in the way he works.

Constructive critisism is always a good thing. I'm sure Mika appreciates our opinions. I actually think that a "bad fan" is one who puts their favourite star of too much of a pedestal. Mika is only human. A lot of what he does, we like, some things polorize opinions, and some things we may not like. But we know that Mika will always try his best and will go the extra mile in his career.

He will also learn from any shortcomeings or mistakes, and grow and evolve as he does so.

Yeah, this highlights what I was saying earlier- there's constructive criticism (good), there's uncritical putting on a pedestal (I'd say it was pretty harmless really), AND there's genuine praise- which does seem to get crowded out on here.

What were people being negative about if not his work?

Well that's why I use the term "negative" loosely. "Negative" pretty much translates into any topic that makes some feel uncomfortable. And some people feel uncomfortable with debate in any form because they view disagreements as fights.

Have been watching the first 40 mn of the PdesP gig again...OMG ! the long-haired redhead in a green outfit who comes first or second on stage as BG starts ! Must ask Mika to get her mobile number for me, he is good at that game (isn't he, Es :wink2: ?).

It was the first time I really enjoyed Billy Brown ; I usually find the melody slightly boring but I realized, thanks to the DVD, that Mika, that night, played and sang it more wildly than he had ever done :clap: and I loved it.

As far as IAOW is concerned, in my view nothing has beaten the Brixton (02/28/08) version :thumb_yello: yet.

Also heard a couple of questionable notes, which makes the big concert -and the Big Man- so much more human and lovable :wub2:...

I still couldn't feel the vibs from the audience though... I know they were there but they were not captured on film :sad:.

Well that's why I use the term "negative" loosely. "Negative" pretty much translates into any topic that makes some feel uncomfortable. And some people feel uncomfortable with debate in any form because they view disagreements as fights.

OH, I get it. I don't think of disagreement as negative, unless it's habitual.

I

Mika what ever happened to being "flirty" and "dirty"...I didn't see any really, even teddy bears picnic seemed a lil more tame than usual...

oh and I really wanted to see Lollipop girl and Big Girl...doing whatever they were doing in that blog clip of Lollipop...but that bit was cut out, and the bit where she offers him a lolly, his expression isn't there either.

AHH I have to stop giving the bad side!!

They let that out?! Aaah man, I was so looking forward to see those parts captured on dvd:sad:

Well I finally got it today, and watching the concert brought back the memories of the night, only with a better view.

I have said this before, this show was visually faultless, it was stunning in that department. But compared to Amsterdam, it wasn't strong for me in the syncronicity with the audience, because the crowd and venue was so huge. You could see it with In Any Other World, he was struggling to get eveyone going. With the real big numbers like Billy Brown GK, etc it wasn't as hard, I guess because people don't really think of IAOW as a big singalong song.

The documentary was excellent, Starting from the beginning of the process, following it to the conclusion, the concert itself, was great.

My highlights, how sweet Es Devlin is (she knows how persuasive he can be), MIKA COOKING! surprised the heck out of me! Mikas excitement about the stage, just want to hug him. the love handles conversation with CB, so funny, seeing Yasmines input, especially watching the poor girl putting on that headdress! And his mums unimpressed look at it, priceless! Saranayde in the harness, bless her! Martins remarks, had me laughing. And last but not least Mika writing at the RAK studios in London. Come on you know I had to mention that!

Amsterdam beats Paris? Pffoeh, then I'm glad I was in Amsterdam and not in Paris:naughty:

You and your RAK!:roftl:

Not that I want support when I have a criticism, but this is not always so. For the DVD, I have been surprised at some of the comments, but for the original concert it was predominantly gushing praise and I was more or less ignored when I said I didn't enjoy it. There have been other times/issues where I have been more or less told to shut up, so I wouldn't agree that dissenters receive plenty of support.

I'd like to reassure you though, that I understand that you genuinely liked it, regardless of how many Mika gigs you've been to. There are those that have been to a lot of gigs who loved it too, and those that have been to a lot of gigs and hated it. I honestly think that if I hadn't been to other M gigs, I would have been overawed.

It's horses for courses and down to personal tastes and experiences isn't it?

Although there are also those who do give into a fangurly lack of discrimination, I suspect.

Bab, shut up:mf_rosetinted:

Just kidding:naughty:

In the PDP, I didn't notice the cameras (except the one camgirl who was standing on our side). It was definitely better for the audience, I guess people running everywhere on stage with cams would have ruined the visuals Mika worked so hard on. But as a result, of course, they had crappy angles, and the footage is not that great. But again, it's a choice you have to make... your priority is either the show itself, or of the dvd u'll make of it. I'm glad they went for the first option.

So there would have been complaints anyway. If they went for the dvd, people would have been complaining about how the camera's disturbed their view..

As far as IAOW is concerned, in my view nothing has beaten the Brixton (02/28/08) version :thumb_yello: yet.

That was the best show that I've seen, performance wise. It's too bad the professional cameras weren't rolling that night. SITM was awesome too.

I like how some of you have different points of view of the DVD... though most like it... some find certain parts more interesting than other....

and since I am not going to see it anytime soon.. this thread is a great preview of the DVD...

cool, I hope your not put off by it though. MY review wasn't exactly...lovely:naughty:

But I think you'll make your own opinion anyway.

I suppose having too many talents can be a curse in disguise :annoyed_h4h:...

Don't worry, it is quite all right to have negative feelings about what the Big Man gives us : he deserves better than unconditional appreciation.

It must be sometimes.

I feel a lot less negative about it today...I watched parts of it with others last night and it really does pay off to watch the documentary first, it really builds it up better and you feel more excited. I didn't watch all of it, but it was a better feeling after the doc.

I'm still a fan, but I'm not gonna pretend I feel overwhelmed and crazy happy when I'm not.

Yeah, IT, some of us have to step up to the mark!

I know some people think we (I) whine just for the sake of it, but if I like something I say so and if I don't I say so. There have been at least a couple of major things here where I haven't agreed with the crowd and sometimes it's a most uncomfortable feeling, hence the custom user title, which is actually what someone on here once told me.

For TL though, I loved Mika the moment I heard the first track, there have been moments of sheer magic and moments of disappointment and realisation, but I've stuck with it and he still manages to surprise and delight me.

This isn't like the adulation that I had for pop stars in my teenage years, I am too cynical for that, but he is talented and charismatic and when something that he does doesn't float my boat, I am happy to hang around for the next chapter. It's a journey, for Mika and for us.

It's funny, but I think I understand you a lot better now. Your tag confuesd me before, but I think I get it now.

I still feel proud and happy to be a Mika fan, and this was a one off in my opinion. The memories of actually being at gigs is still a lot stronger than a dvd to me.

And when I see him all amazed like after the Frech GK I still see the same awww ness:naughty:

I think this was strange for me because I generally feel strongly about things like this, but this time I wasn't overwhelmed with happiness...and thats really weird for me.

I'm sure a new album will restore it again though:wub2:

That was the best show that I've seen, performance wise. It's too bad the professional cameras weren't rolling that night. SITM was awesome too.

Brixton was really good... I have to admit it was the second best gig I have seen...

cool, I hope your not put off by it though. MY review wasn't exactly...lovely:naughty:

But I think you'll make your own opinion anyway

It must be sometimes.

I feel a lot less negative about it today...I watched parts of it with others last night and it really does pay off to watch the documentary first, it really builds it up better and you feel more excited. I didn't watch all of it, but it was a better feeling after the doc.

I'm still a fan, but I'm not gonna pretend I feel overwhelmed and crazy happy when I'm not.

It's funny, but I think I understand you a lot better now. Your tag confuesd me before, but I think I get it now.

I still feel proud and happy to be a Mika fan, and this was a one off in my opinion. The memories of actually being at gigs is still a lot stronger than a dvd to me.

And when I see him all amazed like after the Frech GK I still see the same awww ness:naughty:

I think this was strange for me because I generally feel strongly about things like this, but this time I wasn't overwhelmed with happiness...and thats really weird for me.

I'm sure a new album will restore it again though:wub2:

am not put off at all by any of the reviews :thumb_yello:... I only judge things once I see them with my own eyes... but this whole thread is creating excitment... as it will be a while before i can get my hands on a copy of that DVD...

whether people felt some of the magic was lost, or were amazed at the documentary and all the effort put behind the show... it just gives me a taste of the content rather than influences my opinion... as I have none at the moment....

I think this forum has been a great place for all people to express their opinion ... I remember many people voiced out their opinions in many ways (some of which I disagreed with and some I did) ... some had heated debates... and some topics got a little too emotional...

but.... in all cases

even when people did not agree with each other... there was always respect...

:thumb_yello:

well, while you are all enjoying or not the DVD i dont have it! and i WANT IT!!! and i dont know when its coming out here in montreal,canada. does someone know?? ....what pisses me off the most about this gig is that could have actually seen it! but no I HAD TO LEAVE ON THAT SPECIFIC DAY!!!!! tssss....wtv now i want to see the dvd!:naughty: