• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's like a sad parody of Mika. He doesn't grab me at all.

He sings in English but I find it hard to decipher what he's singing about.

Interesting when he does LDN he lapses into a bit of estuary English though.

He doesn't sound like Mika to me but has his own sound, not sure I am struck with it. When I first heard Mika, I instantly loved Relax, then GK, then before the album was released, it was previewed on the radio, and I just fell in love with every track they played. Sliimy didn't affect me like this at all. It was interesting to watch, but that's it.

I just watched this clip

and I don't speak French, but I didn't hear Mika mentioned at all, but they compared him to Prince (maybe just in looks) but strange if they didn't compare his looks and style to Mika as well.

No wonder Mika wants to get restyled :lmfao:

Were the other guests saying something about him singing in English. I thought they said that he would be popular in Europe because of this? I may have got that wrong though.

The other thing is his name Sliimy I know it's pronounced as in slim, but in English it looks too much like slimy which means

1. of or like slime.

2. abounding in or covered with slime.

3. offensively foul or vile.

and slime is

1. thin, glutinous mud.

2. any ropy or viscous liquid matter, esp. of a foul kind.

3. a viscous secretion of animal or vegetable origin.

4. Also called slime⋅ball /ˈslaɪmˌbɔl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [slahym-bawl] . Slang. a repulsive or despicable person.

Unfortunate!

Maybe French people might like him as much as Mika though because he actually is French? ( I think)

Comments welcome. :naughty:

Edited by babspanky

:naughty:

Well we pronounce his name "slimmy". In the interview, he says it's a nickname he got because he's very slim/thin. The interviewer tells him everyone compares him to Mika at one point, to which he can only say "yeah" before the girl interrupts saying he's also compared to Prince.

Anyway... I know a lot of Frenchies are totally allergic to this guy. I am myself, to be honest. I admit he can sing, and that his music is original, but I cant help it, everytime he's on the radio, I have this gut reaction which makes me turn it off :naughty: But I guess a lotta people say the same about Meeks.

What bugs me about him is the way he pronounces things and the profound stupidity of his lyrics. But that's just me uh ;)

Well we pronounce his name "slimmy". In the interview, he says it's a nickname he got because he's very slim/thin. The interviewer tells him everyone compares him to Mika at one point, to which he can only say "yeah" before the girl interrupts saying he's also compared to Prince.

Anyway... I know a lot of Frenchies are totally allergic to this guy. I am myself, to be honest. I admit he can sing, and that his music is original, but I cant help it, everytime he's on the radio, I have this gut reaction which makes me turn it off :naughty:But I guess a lotta people say the same about Meeks.

What bugs me about him is the way he pronounces things and the profound stupidity of his lyrics. But that's just me uh ;)

Yes that did occur to me and I tried to come up with reasons that I was totally smitten with Mika from the start yet with this guy I feel only a slightly morbid fascination. I didn't come up with anything much. :naughty:

Having said that it was Mika's music that got me interested in the first place, just hearing it. I had no idea what he looked like for a month or so after I first heard him. I just loved the music.

With this guy, I think if I just heard his music it wouldn't make me want to find out more about him.

Yes his pronunciation is strange, nothing to do with him being French either, a bit affected, if you know what I mean, maybe trying too hard to be different?

:floor:

He is trying hard to sing like Kate Nash or Lily Allen..

So non-original

:roftl::roftl:

Maybe French people might like him as much as Mika though because he actually is French? ( I think)

hmmm not really ! As Niki just said, many of us can't stand him...especially on the french forum.

For me, they're not playing in the same league. Mika is a real musician, he composes his own music, which is really elaborate and sophisticated. On stage, he is amazing, let's see what this young boy could do...

I mean, his music isn't bad, but in France, in newspapers (or on the web) you always find the comparison with Mika. They say he's the new him. And it's unbearable because they always say that! Some journalists even say that Mika fears Sliimy because of his probable big success to come...

Well, some even say Mika wants to hurry to finish his album because of him...

Everybody has his opinion about him. I don't have anything against him, but the less I hear him on the radio, the better i feel !

Sorry for my english, it's not easy to explain things like that ;)

hmmm not really ! As Niki just said, many of us can't stand him...especially on the french forum.

For me, they're not playing in the same league. Mika is a real musician, he composes his own music, which is really elaborate and sophisticated. On stage, he is amazing, let's see what this young boy could do...

I mean, his music isn't bad, but in France, in newspapers (or on the web) you always find the comparison with Mika. They say he's the new him. And it's unbearable because they always say that! Some journalists even say that Mika fears Sliimy because of his probable big success to come...

Well, some even say Mika wants to hurry to finish his album because of him...

Everybody has his opinion about him. I don't have anything against him, but the less I hear him on the radio, the better i feel !

Sorry for my english, it's not easy to explain things like that ;)

Deb, your English is fine and it's interesting to hear your opinions on this. :thumb_yello:

Anyway... I know a lot of Frenchies are totally allergic to this guy. I am myself, to be honest. I admit he can sing, and that his music is original, but I cant help it, everytime he's on the radio, I have this gut reaction which makes me turn it off :naughty: But I guess a lotta people say the same about Meeks.

YES!:naughty:

Well I guess the comparison with Mika was the boy's goal... That sliimy guy really tried to look like Meeks, imo. Even the way he speaks in interviews is similar, it's a bit irritating :naughty:

I noticed that too. Maybe he noticed Mika was gone to record his second album and thought he'd grab his chance:naughty:

I agree with what Babs and Niki both said , I find him obnoxious though in interviews I mean , so full of himself when he's still...a kid. And sorry but I can't see the comparison between him and Mika , well yeah the hair perhaps , but the music is completely different. And I don't like it , it's a pale imitatation of Mika , pushed by warner music to counter Universal. That's what I think...but i might be wrong :)

He's like a sad parody of Mika. He doesn't grab me at all.

He sings in English but I find it hard to decipher what he's singing about.

Interesting when he does LDN he lapses into a bit of estuary English though.

He doesn't sound like Mika to me but has his own sound, not sure I am struck with it. When I first heard Mika, I instantly loved Relax, then GK, then before the album was released, it was previewed on the radio, and I just fell in love with every track they played. Sliimy didn't affect me like this at all. It was interesting to watch, but that's it.

I just watched this clip

and I don't speak French, but I didn't hear Mika mentioned at all, but they compared him to Prince (maybe just in looks) but strange if they didn't compare his looks and style to Mika as well.

No wonder Mika wants to get restyled :lmfao:

Were the other guests saying something about him singing in English. I thought they said that he would be popular in Europe because of this? I may have got that wrong though.

The other thing is his name Sliimy I know it's pronounced as in slim, but in English it looks too much like slimy which means

1. of or like slime.

2. abounding in or covered with slime.

3. offensively foul or vile.

and slime is

1. thin, glutinous mud.

2. any ropy or viscous liquid matter, esp. of a foul kind.

3. a viscous secretion of animal or vegetable origin.

4. Also called slime⋅ball /ˈslaɪmˌbɔl/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [slahym-bawl] . Slang. a repulsive or despicable person.

Unfortunate!

Comments welcome. :naughty:

Once again, Uhmmm OK?

:mf_rosetinted:

Things about sliimy that make me think he’s copying mika;

Curly hair, glasses, tall and skinny, mika-esque clothing.

His singing is high, lyrics weird, and the

‘But i can be loathsome’ in sliimy’s song ‘wake up’

Is too much like ‘I can be loathsome’ in Grace Kelly.

In his photoshoot/videos, the hands with gloves like in happy ending, cakes like in love today, umbrellas, colours, coloured circles, its too much the same. I just don’t like it.

so something about him i just don't like. i don't know what it is, but iwouldn't say 'i don't like him' but i don't like him either. he's OK, but theres something about him i don't like.

....maybe he doesn't like being compared to mika, like mika doesn't really like to be compared to freddy....I don't know...:blush-anim-cl:

I like his song 'wake up' though :wub2:

agree.... in fact i read somewhere he doesn't like the comparison

Watching that acoustic live performance + interview (posted link on a previous page) I got a positive impression, that he's copying no-none and he's just himself, a very peculiar guy and a strong personality (and to whom singing is very important), but I know him too little I may be wrong and moreover I can't judge his French nor English as I'm no native speaker

Time will tell us more

Edited by mari62
adding sentence

Ok, with those glasses he looks more like Austin Powers, I guess, and he kinda sounds like Kate Nash for me, tho those curls looks very cute on him.

I like "Wake up" (I found his voice annoying in the "Womenizer" cover..) and I'm looking forward to heard the whole album.

Ok, with those glasses he looks more like Austin Powers, I guess, and he kinda sounds like Kate Nash for me, tho those curls looks very cute on him.

I like "Wake up" (I found his voice annoying in the "Womenizer" cover..) and I'm looking forward to heard the whole album.

Your're the second person to say that, which bears out my hearing of him lapsing into Estuary English.

Although I could only really hear it a couple of times, most of it I couldn't understand.

OK I saw this

and was thinking Okaayy...:blink: What's with the flipping dancing?

When I first heard Mika I heard him, I didn't see him. I fell in love with with his music and it was a few months before I actually saw him for the first time. I love the fact that Mika didn't portray the image of himself in the beginning (you can hardly see him on the LICM cd cover) but only his music. Sliimy however seems more like a show off even though he also seems shy.

Sure he's not ugly and he has a pretty unique voice but even though I don't know him personally I can see that he thinks he's such a huge star already.

I don't think that made sense, oh well. :lmfao:

Edited by nana06