How successful do we really think Mika will be

jodi2518

I think he's pacing himself.

Yes he sold out a 55,000 seater stadium in France, because there, he is big, they love him there.

But being realistic, it's not like that everywhere.

For instance, here in the UK, there is NO WAY at the moment he would sell out Wembley stadium.

I'm not saying a few years down the line that he wouldn't, but at the present time, I don't think it'll happen(although I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong).

So, I do think he will be successful everywhere, in time, but it's gonna be a while.

I agree, Rose.

I really think that it will take him quite a long time to achieve that type of success here, if he gets there at all. I mean, come on, we're talking about the type of audiences that get excited about The Saturdays- That just says it all :roftl:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think he does want to get big.

he's already almost as big as pink in 1/5th of the time :biggrin2:

Well thats a good sign, crossing fingers and toes:thumb_yello:

I know a lot of fans wish that Mika could stay, as he was in 2007, doing small venues and being able to spend time with his fans.

But I don't think that way, when I first heard Mika's music I knew it was something very special and I wanted the whole world to know it too. That hasn't changed for me. even if I can't ever get to meet him again, I'd love him to be absolutely HUGE! He certainly deserves to be!

I agree, Rose.

I really think that it will take him quite a long time to achieve that type of success here, if he gets there at all. I mean, come on, we're talking about the type of audiences that get excited about The Saturdays- That just says it all :roftl:

I agree too. what we think he's worth and what'd he deserve instead, is o.c. another matter. :boxed:

we'll have to resign of be still only good ol' us at the gigs then.. :bleh:

When we first heard of PdP late last spring, we thought it maybe could be a mistake and the general opinion was that he will never sell so many tickets, ha, and look what happened!:naughty:

I'd like to state for the record that I was not one of those people and argued ad nauseam against the naysayers.

Now if only you people would listen to me about why his career is not going down the toilet if he does not release his second album in May. :naughty:

Well he's doing on a Saturday's cover on Seven Words so that might move things along. :wink2:

Getting back to the question of the thread...let's not confuse how successful we think Mika can be with how successful we want him to be for our own selfish purposes. This is why there were so many naysayers jumping in after the PDP gig announcement.

The album had gone diamond in France and the facts spoke for themselves. No one wanted to believe Mika could sell out a stadium because they don't want to see him in a stadium. But that doesn't change the reality.

Regarding his success in the US. He has not broken through in the US market but he has still sold more albums in the US than anywhere outside of the UK and France and his tours sell out, so the American market is not a write-off for him by any stretch.

If Mika stays on the same trajectory I think success in the US is virtually inevitable. Perhaps not Madonna or Michael Jackson level. Unfortunately I think you have to make yourself more available to public scrutiny than Mika is willing for the level of fame required to pull in those audiences for decades.

But I can see an overnight Katy Perry style breakthrough happening at some point. It may be followed a few years later by things dying down again. But I think he will always have a solid core of followers in North America. Word is already out that he is an exceptional performer so he will continue to do well here even without becoming a star.

I'd like to state for the record that I was not one of those people and argued ad nauseam against the naysayers.

Now if only you people would listen to me about why his career is not going down the toilet if he does not release his second album in May. :naughty:

Well he's doing on a Saturday's cover on Seven Words so that might move things along. :wink2:

Getting back to the question of the thread...let's not confuse how successful we think Mika can be with how successful we want him to be for our own selfish purposes. This is why there were so many naysayers jumping in after the PDP gig announcement.

The album had gone diamond in France and the facts spoke for themselves. No one wanted to believe Mika could sell out a stadium because they don't want to see him in a stadium. But that doesn't change the reality.

Regarding his success in the US. He has not broken through in the US market but he has still sold more albums in the US than anywhere outside of the UK and France and his tours sell out, so the American market is not a write-off for him by any stretch.

If Mika stays on the same trajectory I think success in the US is virtually inevitable. Perhaps not Madonna or Michael Jackson level. Unfortunately I think you have to make yourself more available to public scrutiny than Mika is willing for the level of fame required to pull in those audiences for decades.

But I can see an overnight Katy Perry style breakthrough happening at some point. It may be followed a few years later by things dying down again. But I think he will always have a solid core of followers in North America. Word is already out that he is an exceptional performer so he will continue to do well here even without becoming a star.

wells said :thumb_yello:

however big he gets i hope he doesn't get mobbed by crazy fans in the street:naughty:

he sold more in the us then in canada?

I am not afraid to admit that my selfish side would love him to retain the amount of success that he has now, where he still feels 'real' and 'available' to us, and not get any bigger. That is just me being selfish and honest.

On the other hand though, I understand that what he desires is mega-success and fame, which I would love him to achieve on my 'non-selfish side' :naughty: if that makes sense.

Whatever route he goes though, whether it's the mega-star route or the 'not so mega-star' route, I will still really hope that he does some smaller shows every now and then, so that we can get to sample the delight of a more 'intimate' Mika show instead of just all this stadium madness.

I was one of the people against PDP from the start. Not becuase I thought that he would not fill it, but just because I don't particularly enjoy stadium gigs, so obviously I will prefer it if my favourite artist does smaller shows rather than these massive events where you can see him upclose(ish) for like 10 % of the show, and that only if you're quite lucky....

So I suppose that this whole fame thing is a double edge sword: works well for one side but not so well for the other. What can you do though, such is life, and if this is what he needs in order to be happy, then so be it. At the end of the day we're just fans.

christine...i need your help to get the same optimistic point of view...

i'd love him to be famous, because that is what he wants...and be recognized as a great author and interpreter.

but

i can see only france where he can be as famous as he was till last year, till the PDP show and the festivals.

italy is totally unaware of mika at the moment, one day we listened to a dj saying he had disappeared, a singer of a touch and go song.

how can it be possible..to fade into the unknown...and then, after a new album, jump to the same level of fame? at least it should be even better than LICM!

his fame is not estabilished at all, nowhere but in france maybe.

does anyone know how many copies of PDP dvd did they sell? it was quite hard to find it here in the shops...such an amazing show, and 90% of the italian market does not even know of its existence.

i'm not saying it's the market ot the 'fate' fault....i'm saying that he's not pushed the way he should be. 2 years and more of interval between the 2 albums, with barely nothing in between in terms of visibility, can be quite hard to make up for.

of course i trust him a lot, and i think he will do his best and have a real blast in the future...you know me, i'm seldom negative towards his decisions and planning...but now, at this present time, i feel quite dubious.

am i a bad fan?:naughty:

i'd love him to be famous, because that is what he wants...and be recognized as a great author and interpreter.

but

i can see only france where he can be as famous as he was till last year, till the PDP show and the festivals.

italy is totally unaware of mika at the moment, one day we listened to a dj saying he had disappeared, a singer of a touch and go song.

how can it be possible..to fade into the unknown...and then, after a new album, jump to the same level of fame? at least it should be even better than LICM!

his fame is not estabilished at all, nowhere but in france maybe.

does anyone know how many copies of PDP dvd did they sell? it was quite hard to find it here in the shops...such an amazing show, and 90% of the italian market does not even know of its existence.

i'm not saying it's the market ot the 'fate' fault....i'm saying that he's not pushed the way he should be. 2 years and more of interval between the 2 albums, with barely nothing in between in terms of visibility, can be quite hard to make up for.

of course i trust him a lot, and i think he will do his best and have a real blast in the future...you know me, i'm seldom negative towards his decisions and planning...but now, at this present time, i feel quite dubious.

am i a bad fan?:naughty:

Nah, you're not. We should just call you 'Appletina' from now on :naughty::wub2:

Yes I remember that you were one of those who tried to talk sense and reason about the Paris show, and when I wrote “the general opinion” I knew it wasn’t the whole true, sorry!:blush-anim-cl:

But I’m trying so hard to be patient and wait, you have no idea!

It’s so much against my nature.:roftl:

I need that too!:wink2:

he sold more in the us then in canada?

Yes in terms of absolute numbers. Of course with the US being 10x the size it's not that difficult.

Not only can he jump to the same level of fame he can totally surpass it. These things are unpredictable.

Look at Amy Winehouse. Who even heard of her with her first album? She had to launch a second album to gain any sort of fame anywhere.

I was speaking mostly about North America where I see him slowly building a following and a reputation.

It may happen this year, it may happen in 5 years, it may never happen. We'll just have to wait and see. Mika is still young and all things are possible at this stage. He's certainly off to a good start IMO.

Yes in terms of absolute numbers. Of course with the US being 10x the size it's not that difficult.

Not only can he jump to the same level of fame he can totally surpass it. These things are unpredictable.

Look at Amy Winehouse. Who even heard of her with her first album? She had to launch a second album to gain any sort of fame anywhere.

I was speaking mostly about North America where I see him slowly building a following and a reputation.

It may happen this year, it may happen in 5 years, it may never happen. We'll just have to wait and see. Mika is still young and all things are possible at this stage. He's certainly off to a good start IMO.

That's very true about Amy, "Frank" wasn't that big here either but as soon as "Back To Black" came out, everyone wanted a piece of her.

Wow thanks for your responses. I agree, I would rather longevity in his career, after all he said in 10yrs he still wants to be doing the same thing, so its what he wants too.

Unfortunately I still think he has a lot of work ahead of him to become know worldwide, and lots of touring :wink2:

If he does make it huge one day, i will just have to be the first in line for tickets so I can see him from the front row:mf_lustslow:

Well said! I agree, and I really don't think it would be the end of the world for fans if he DID, one day, start playing to stadiums! I think it would be wonderful if he played at Wembly or the O2 eventually. Then all those who dissed him in the press, and believed he would not last, would have to eat their words!

I'm sure that Mika would make ertain his fans on the forum got the first chance of the front row seats if he was playing in a stadium.