Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

Welcome everybody!

I have no idea how to begin, but I'll give it a try.:wink2:

The reason why I made this thread is because I love books and reading.:wub2:

The second reason is that I am very curious what you guys read or what you think about some books or authors.

I'll start. Tell me, if you'd like, a book that you enjoyed and want to share your opinion.... Because I have No idea what to read next.

Oh and I would love to read your own creations if you like to share.

Hugs&kisses.

MIKA's Reading List - the non-official one (collected through MFC, interviews, articles)

* please tell me if I'm wrong :

Angela Carter - "Nights at the Circus", "The Magic Toy Shop"

Ayn Rand - "Atlas Shrugged"

Julian Barnes - ?

Paulo Coelho - "The Alchemist"

Kazuo Ishiguro - "Never Let Me Go"

Edgar Allan Poe - "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket"

Daniel J. Levitin - "This Is Your Brain On Music"

Donna Tart - "The little friend"

Anthony Burgess- "A clockwork orange"

Truman Capote - ?

Neil Gaiman - 9 books

Anthony Burgess - "Meccanic Orange"

Benjamin Hoff - "The Tao of Pooh"

"1,000 places to see before you died" (album)

Graham Greene - "Confidential Agent"

Bernhard Schlink - "The Reader"

Julian Barnes - "Flaubert's Parrot"

Geoffry Eugenides - "Middlesex and everything else"

Edited by adda

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice thread! :biggrin2:

I love reading books! Have hundreds and hundreds of books in my own collection!

My favourite book certainly must be "The Trial" by Franz Kafka :wub2:

The book I'm currently reading is "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. :wink2:

I heard a lot about Franz Kafka and Albert Camus, but I never got a chance to read any of their books. Now you really made me ... More than curious (can't find the word)

I must say I'm not a pro in literature... But I love discovering new things. I believe that every book hides an fictional universe and while I'm reading it, it kinda becomes a part of my life and I see myself in the characters. My immagination is always running wild while reading ... And not only then.

I heard a lot about Franz Kafka and Albert Camus, but I never got a chance to read any of their books. Now you really made me ... More than curious (can't find the word)

I must say I'm not a pro in literature... But I love discovering new things. I believe that every book hides an fictional universe and while I'm reading it, it kinda becomes a part of my life and I see myself in the characters. My immagination is always running wild while reading ... And not only then.

You should check them out! Especially Kafka, he's the master :mf_lustslow::naughty:

I absolutely agree. I love it when I'm reading some book which is REALLY interesting and when I can find myself in one of the characters... I can really get into the book and the story, then I usually don't drop the book out of my hands at all until I finish it :roftl: and then I feel sad. As if some part of me kind of dissapeared; as if all the fun's over...

Thank God we can read our fav books as many times as we want ;)

Wow, pretty deep books. I'm not sure if I'll fit here...

I've recently read "War with the Salamanders" by Karel Čapek. It’s a science fiction, the first I've ever read of this kind.

The book has an unusual a la and-here-is-written-evidence structure and is full of ironic allusions to WW II and changing values. If you know a little history, you will find it satirical and meaningful. If you don’t – you will find it simply funny, at times shocking but interesting and easy to read.

Oh well, at least I liked it.

I can’t give you any other suggestions, unless you’re interested in reading Immanuel Kant, Hegel, Karl Marx, Edmund Burke, John S. Mill and like.

EDIT: I forgot one more book, "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. However, it is really violent and might arise unpleasant feelings. I must admit I liked it, made me think a lot.

And it would be perfect if you knew a little Russian, in this case you will understand "the slang". ;)

Edited by Eglė
added info

Nice thread!! Well, I looooooooooove reading more than my life. I cant go anywhere without a book.

I read The Stranger 2 years ago for school. I loved it a lot! Tho it was a lil bit weird and some people dont understand it at all (which I dont feel, cause I totally understand it).

Recomend?? Well, its hard to do that, you know? It depends a lot on the others likes, so..........

I NEED to read twilight. I have friends who have either watched it or read it and I've done neither. I prefer to read the book before watching the film...So I need to go book shopping :roftl: Lucky my birthday's coming up then, eh? :D

I love the works of Danielle steel btw :D She's amazing. I recommend her book 'Sisters'

:D

Nice thread!

At the moment I'm reading one lithuanian author book for school - V. Krėvė "Skirgaila". Tho I have to finish it till tomorrow, but I found it sooo boring, that I'm not gona make it..

Recommend? "The Prestige" :wub2: That book changed my life a bit.. :wub2:

I love reading. It's my escape from this world. But yet I can't say I have a favourite book, I like many of them and I like different styles. However I hate it if books are depressed and sad.

I also like buying books but they're very expensive here.:thumbdown:

Oh, and one more thing-what's your opinion on e books? IMO they could never replace ''normal'' old-style books. Nothing in this world feels better than taking a book in your hands and slowly drifting away from the real world into a world that exists in a book. And turning page after page. I like the way the books smell.:wub2:

Edited by annabelle

I love reading. It's my escape from this world. But yet I can't say I have a favourite book, I like many of them and I like different styles. However I hate it if books are depressed and sad.

I also like buying books but they're very expensive here.:thumbdown:

Oh, and one more thing-what's your opinion on e books? IMO they could never replace ''normal'' old-style books. Nothing in this world feels better than taking a book in your hands and slowly drifting away from the real world into a world that exists in a book. And turning page after page. I like the way the books smell.:wub2:

Yeah, It's such a good feeling :)

I NEED to read twilight. I have friends who have either watched it or read it and I've done neither. I prefer to read the book before watching the film...So I need to go book shopping :roftl Lucky my birthday's coming up then, eh? :D

I love the works of Danielle steel btw :D She's amazing. I recommend her book 'Sisters'

:D

Well, I have read and watched Twilight and this is what I think. I read the book before I watched the movie, wrong! Why?? Cause the movie cuts some important parts of the book and you dont understand most of the reactions of the characters. I thought the book was goow, not the worst not the greatest, but didnt liked the movie.

Recommend? "The Prestige" :wub2: That book changed my life a bit.. :wub2:

I think I have read that before :fisch:

Amen to that!

You're talking about The Stranger! Loved it. But The Tunnel, by Ernesto Sabato, which is kinda similar regarding to the meaning, is even better. You NEED to read it.

Then, its on my list!

I think I have read that before :fisch:

Maybe :naughty:

Oh, I forgot to mention Haruki Murakami. He's really interesting writer.. Pretty all Japaniese writers are great! Their books are odd, interesting, mistical but easy to read! :wub2::naughty:

great thread :D

i'm currently reading Notre Dame de Paris by V. Hugo

books i loved...uhmmm many but The shadow of the wind by C.R. Zafon was great.

i also loved this book it's named "Why does the child boil in the polenta?" it's hard to explain the title this is the original "Warum das Kind in der Polenta kocht". author: Aglaja Veteranyi

it's about a circus family that kept moving around the world and the little girl was trying to fit in. reading the book gave me a feeling of uncomfortable but it is a great book.

this is a quote that got stuck in my head after reading the book. (i translated it from romanian so it might not be so poetical :bleh:)

"I know my country after its smell. It smells like mum's food.

My dad says that we always recall our country's smell, but we only recognize it when we are very far away."

Edited by ruxi

Oh, I forgot to mention Haruki Murakami. He's really interesting writer.. Pretty all Japaniese writers are great! Their books are odd, interesting, mistical but easy to read! :wub2::naughty:

Murakami is on my list too. Too bad I dont have money :thumbdown:

great thread :D

i'm currently reading Notre Dame de Paris by V. Hugo

books i loved...uhmmm many but The shadow of the wind by C.R. Zafon was great.

I have read that one and love it!

Writers I love??? Arthur Conan Doyle. I love his books. Sherlock Holmes rocks! :punk:

Writers I love??? Arthur Conan Doyle. I love his books. Sherlock Holmes rocks! :punk:

There's no Murakami in your library? I'm still looking for Twillight or "Norvegian wood" by the very same Murakami..

I'll write Doyle to my list. "Baskerville's dog", eh?

I have read that one and love it!

everyone who read that liked it. i personally think it's great because the author could express feelings about books for which i never found the proper words.

i loved "El cartero de Neruda" or "Neruda's postman" by Antonio Skarmeta.

i've recently seen the movie too and it is very good.

Then, its on my list!

:thumb_yello:

Oohh, you're not the first one who tells me so! Added to my list then. I recently read Kyoto by Yasunari Kawabata. It's like poetry all the time, the way he describes things with such a beauty and calm!

I'm about to start The Winners by Julio Cortázar (have you read Hopscotch??) and after that, Brooklyn Follies (Paul Auster).

Does anyone like Ray Bradbury??

Oohh, you're not the first one who tells me so! Added to my list then. I recently read Kyoto by Yasunari Kawabata. It's like poetry all the time, the way he describes things with such a beauty and calm!

I'm about to start The Winners by Julio Cortázar (have you read Hopscotch??) and after that, Brooklyn Follies (Paul Auster).

Ray Bradbury :wub2: i read "the wind" and "the the golden kite the silver wind" i loved them. i'd like to read more but i couldn't find.

Aha, they are brilliant at that! All the details are so clear and described beautifuly! Thats why I love Japaniese writers! :wub2: I read all three "The ring" parts and "Dark water" by Koji Suzuki and I was totaly blown away! It's totaly not like movies and I love that!

There's no Murakami in your library? I'm still looking for Twillight or "Norvegian wood" by the very same Murakami..

I'll write Doyle to my list. "Baskerville's dog", eh?

Not yet. I downloaded a few books, but I want to buy them. Im waiting till I have money, cause now I cant afford it.......

Yep, right!

everyone who read that liked it. i personally think it's great because the author could express feelings about books for which i never found the proper words.

i loved "El cartero de Neruda" or "Neruda's postman" by Antonio Skarmeta.

i've recently seen the movie too and it is very good.

Exactly my feelings! And the story of the book itself was really sweet :wub2:

Havent read that one...........Listed!:thumb_yello:

Paul auster is on my list too. I have found a place were his books are not so expensive, and can buy them with Murakami books too.

Havent read anything from him, sorry

Isa, i've just clicked on your blog. you wrote all that? seems very good. :wink2: i'll go on reading it

I wish! It was my sis. she is a great writer, but she left it soooooooo long ago, and I just left the link there to make her write again.

I love reading!

I just finished reading the three Entchanted, Inc books of Shanna Swendson!

- Enchanted, Inc

- Once upon stilettos

- Damsel under stress

I reaaaally enjoyed reading them! Brilliant books! :thumb_yello: The second book is my favourite :original:

Ray Bradbury :wub2: i read "the wind" and "the the golden kite the silver wind" i loved them. i'd like to read more but i couldn't find.

That one's from The Golden Apples of the Sun, right?

Apart from the well known Martian Chronicles, Farenheit 451, Yestermorrow, etc., the man has writen lots of amazing and different not sci-fi books like "Green Shadows, White Whale" and "A Graveyard for Lunatics". Love him. :blush-anim-cl:

Not yet. I downloaded a few books, but I want to buy them. Im waiting till I have money, cause now I cant afford it.......

Yep, right!

Exactly my feelings! And the story of the book itself was really sweet :wub2:

Havent read that one...........Listed!:thumb_yello:

Paul auster is on my list too. I have found a place were his books are not so expensive, and can buy them with Murakami books too.

Havent read anything from him, sorry

I wish! It was my sis. she is a great writer, but she left it soooooooo long ago, and I just left the link there to make her write again.

she should really keep writing. it's great :thumb_yello:

and i do recommend El Cartero it's lovely :wink2: