Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if I can remember some of the books I liked when I was a teen. I really liked the fantasy books Tamora Pierce (sp?) wrote. They are more aimed towards girls but my older brother liked them too. :-D

I read a lot of books by Patricia A. McKillip, really liked the Riddle Master of Hed trilogy.

I liked the Crown Duel books. I think the author's name is Sherwood Smith.

A more adult fantasy book is 'Green Rider' by Kristen Britain. And the next two books after that is 'First Rider's Call' and 'The High King's Tomb'

You also might like the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. 'Black' 'Red' and 'White' They aren't my favorite of his books but a lot of people like them. I think he also is writing some young adult books based in the world he created.

Not a fantasy book but still a great book is 'Thr3e' and 'Blink' by Ted Dekker.

I also loved 'Comes a Horseman' by Robert Liparulo.

lol, I could go on forever about books and writing!

Hmm, I guess girls would like the book I'm writing more but I'm trying to write it so both gender's can enjoy it and trying to make it so adults can read it without them feeling like their brains are turning into mush.

I have felt that way while trying to read some young adult novels.

The genre is fantasy. It's starting to turn into a modern day Beauty and the Beast. lol, but I've got a lot of my own twists in there.

Ah yes! Tamora Pierce. We read a lot of those last year, and then this year I found a new series by her and my son isn't interested. He's "gone off" her.

I haven't heard of any of the others... Will have to look them up.

Oh, Ranger's Apprentice is another series we've been reading. Good stuff.

Ah yes! Tamora Pierce. We read a lot of those last year, and then this year I found a new series by her and my son isn't interested. He's "gone off" her.

I haven't heard of any of the others... Will have to look them up.

Oh, Ranger's Apprentice is another series we've been reading. Good stuff.

I read the first couple books in the Ranger's Apprentice. I liked them from what I remember.

Another book I liked was The Shamer's Daughter (book 1 The Shamer Chronicles) by Lene Kaaberbol

I'll have to keep my eye out for that series as well.

I meant to say (and didn't) that I'm glad you're catering to the adults who may read your novel as well. There is some very well written stuff out there, and there is some absolute crap. My son is pretty good at picking the well written stuff, but every now and then... And when I read those, I do feel like my brain is turning to mush! I'm just not sure how discerning he is. The one I'm thinking of in particular, I commented to him on how poorly written it was, and he just didn't see it. So I'm thinking that he just has a talent for finding the mostly good stuff, without necessarily being able to tell it apart from the rubbish.

Bought Angela Carter's "Night at the Circus" today, decided to give it a go as i never read any other book by her...

Let's see if Mika has a good taste for books and writers i know nothing about..;)

Oh and i'm into N. Gaiman's American Gods...Very Good!

"Nights at the Circus" is a fascinating book - I've just finished it :thumb_yello: i will certianly read more of her work :original:

Due to the fact that I've been busy lately, I hadn't had time to finish reading "The Alchemist" in a while. :blink: But I finished it tonight! :biggrin2: It was pretty good. I thought one interesting thing about it was that you could take certain lines out of that book and they would make amazing sayings. I am thinking about reading more of Paul Coleho's books to see what they are like (ie if they are in any way similar or different from "The Alchemist").

Edited by iadoremika

• 1 month later...

9781402763069.jpg

I just started reading this book today. There were some pretty insane :insane: and freaky :freak: kings and queens.

Boneman.jpg

I've also got this from the library. It's Ted Dekker's newest book, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I finally finished The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was the most witty, unusual, and entertaining book I have ever read up until the last two pages. It has the worst ending ever! But the rest of the book is quite good.

9781402763069.jpg

I just started reading this book today. There were some pretty insane :insane: and freaky :freak: kings and queens.

Boneman.jpg

I've also got this from the library. It's Ted Dekker's newest book, and I'm really looking forward to it.

I finally finished The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It was the most witty, unusual, and entertaining book I have ever read up until the last two pages. It has the worst ending ever! But the rest of the book is quite good.

I just bought 'Boneman's Daughter'! I'm going to start reading it after I finish the book I'm on now.

I just bought 'Boneman's Daughter'! I'm going to start reading it after I finish the book I'm on now.

You'll have to tell me what you think of it once we've both read it. I read the reason he wrote it on his website, and he wrote the story because of something that happened with his daughter Rachelle (it's so cool his daughter's name is Rachelle! He must've named Rachelle in Black, Red, and White after her!) running off with a guy that was bad news.

You'll have to tell me what you think of it once we've both read it. I read the reason he wrote it on his website, and he wrote the story because of something that happened with his daughter Rachelle (it's so cool his daughter's name is Rachelle! He must've named Rachelle in Black, Red, and White after her!) running off with a guy that was bad news.

Yes, I read that blog too. It's cool how it inspired him to write 'Boneman's daughter'.

I think he named a character after all of his kids (I think he has three) in Black, Red and White.

I'm a little nervous about reading this book, I haven't really been fond of any of the books he's published since the trilogy.

I did like 'Skin' but was dissapointed by the ending. And I caught a few a typos.

The story sounds good though so we'll see.

Yes, I read that blog too. It's cool how it inspired him to write 'Boneman's daughter'.

I think he named a character after all of his kids (I think he has three) in Black, Red and White.

I'm a little nervous about reading this book, I haven't really been fond of any of the books he's published since the trilogy.

I did like 'Skin' but was dissapointed by the ending. And I caught a few a typos.

The story sounds good though so we'll see.

really? I really like Adam. I also like some of his earlier books. The first I ever read was Blink which is now In the Blink of an Eye or something like that. I think that one may be my favorite.

really? I really like Adam. I also like some of his earlier books. The first I ever read was Blink which is now In the Blink of an Eye or something like that. I think that one may be my favorite.

I did read 'Blink' which I love, I wish they would make a movie out of that one.

I forgot about 'Adam'. You're right that book actually was pretty good.

My favorite book is 'Thr3e'.

Have you read 'Kiss'? I haven't read that one yet.

I did read 'Blink' which I love, I wish they would make a movie out of that one.

I forgot about 'Adam'. You're right that book actually was pretty good.

My favorite book is 'Thr3e'.

Have you read 'Kiss'? I haven't read that one yet.

ooo I like Thr3e too. I forgot about that one. I haven't read Kiss yet, but I have that one on hold at the library. I'm kinda nervous about that one though because it's coauthored with some lady I've never heard of.

ooo I like Thr3e too. I forgot about that one. I haven't read Kiss yet, but I have that one on hold at the library. I'm kinda nervous about that one though because it's coauthored with some lady I've never heard of.

I never heard of her either. I will have to read 'Kiss' after 'Boneman's daughter.'

• 2 weeks later...
This evening I have begun to read, "The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible" by A.J. Jacobs.

year.jpg

What I have read so far is REALLY good. Jacobs adds wit and humour to the truths, adventures and obstacles that happen. I can't wait until I finish it!

I finished this book last week and it was incredibly fantastic. I loved every page of it -- it was the sort of book that once I started reading, I didn't want to stop. A.J. Jacobs is a fantastic writer and I want to check out more of his work! I recommend this book. :thumb_yello:

I finished this book last week and it was incredibly fantastic. I loved every page of it -- it was the sort of book that once I started reading, I didn't want to stop. A.J. Jacobs is a fantastic writer and I want to check out more of his work! I recommend this book. :thumb_yello:

I heard about this book when it first came out. It did sound interesting. I will have to add it to my ever growing list.

I read 'Middlesex' by Jeffery Eugenides on suggestion from MFC.

WOW. It was fantastic! I agree, the beginning was a little slow, but it was so worth it. I was not ready for it to end! Great book :naughty:

I don't really have any other books to read now, so I'm going to snoop around this thread and pick out some more.