Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

Alright MFC! School's out and summer's here, and I am O-U-T of books!

Well, that's not entirely true. I bought two books on Wednesday, and I've almost finished them both. The second one I bought, I really recommend. It's called:

How They Met, And Other Stories

by David Levithan

This book is really, really well written. I'm a little more than halfway done, but I can definitely recommend it. It's basically a collection of little stories of how people meet and fall in love. They're not related, but then again, they're all related, because they're all about the same thing--all different types of love. It's a fantastic book and I am definitely enjoying it.

I looked through the bookstore and library again today, and didn't really see anything worth reading. All the "teen" books are the same, boys and stupid high school stuff that I don't want to read about. :naughty:

Any suggestions? :biggrin2:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's not entirely true. I bought two books on Wednesday, and I've almost finished them both. The second one I bought, I really recommend. It's called:

by David Levithan

This book is really, really well written. I'm a little more than halfway done, but I can definitely recommend it. It's basically a collection of little stories of how people meet and fall in love. They're not related, but then again, they're all related, because they're all about the same thing--all different types of love. It's a fantastic book and I am definitely enjoying it.

I looked through the bookstore and library again today, and didn't really see anything worth reading. All the "teen" books are the same, boys and stupid high school stuff that I don't want to read about. :naughty:

What kind of books do you like?

I read 'Middlesex' by Jeffery Eugenides on suggestion from MFC.

WOW. It was fantastic! I agree, the beginning was a little slow, but it was so worth it. I was not ready for it to end! Great book :naughty:

I don't really have any other books to read now, so I'm going to snoop around this thread and pick out some more.

Ooh yay you read it :yay:

I'm glad you liked it.

Did you read the other books I told you about?

by David Levithan

Ooh that sounds good! I'm gonna have to buy it :clap:

Does anyone else have some really good book suggestions? School's almost over and I want to get a lot of books to read for the summer.

What kind of books do you like?

Nothing cheesey--but an interesting plot. :naughty:

I read way too many books about gay men. :teehee:

Ooh yay you read it :yay:

I'm glad you liked it.

Did you read the other books I told you about?

Ooh that sounds good! I'm gonna have to buy it :clap:

Does anyone else have some really good book suggestions? School's almost over and I want to get a lot of books to read for the summer.

No! But I'm going to the library soon so I'll check them out. (Literally!) Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeah, I definitely recommend it. It has certain subject matter that we both enjoy. Ahem. Ahem. :teehee:

No! But I'm going to the library soon so I'll check them out. (Literally!) Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeah, I definitely recommend it. It has certain subject matter that we both enjoy. Ahem. Ahem. :teehee:

Yay! :yay::boing::groovy:

:teehee:

Nothing cheesey--but an interesting plot. :naughty:

I read way too many books about gay men. :teehee:

Try Thr3e or Blink by Ted Dekker. What I've had a chance to read of his new book 'Bone Man's Daughter' is pretty good too.

I really enjoyed 'Sea of Trolls' by Nancy Farmer

You could try C.S. Lewis' space trilogy as well. I remember liking them.

'Comes a Horseman' By Robert Liparulo (i think I spelled his name wrong) was great!

Try Thr3e or Blink by Ted Dekker. What I've had a chance to read of his new book 'Bone Man's Daughter' is pretty good too.

I really enjoyed 'Sea of Trolls' by Nancy Farmer

You could try C.S. Lewis' space trilogy as well. I remember liking them.

'Comes a Horseman' By Robert Liparulo (i think I spelled his name wrong) was great!

Thanks I'll try it! I have read Sea Of Trolls, but I didn't really fancy it. :no: I've heard good things about Blink though. I'll check it out! Thanks! :biggrin2:

I'm currently reading Jane Eyre for school. It took a little to get into, but now I'm really enjoying it. I'd recommend it to confident readers with an interest in vocabulary, since it can be a little confusing at times. =]

Mmk Nono, I checked out "The Lovely Bones" from the library (thanks for the recommendation!). They didn't have any of the ones by James Frey, but I'll check back later.

Oh okay. Well enjoy! :wink2:

Thanks I'll try it! I have read Sea Of Trolls, but I didn't really fancy it. :no: I've heard good things about Blink though. I'll check it out! Thanks! :biggrin2:

Yay!

Are you sure they were taling about Blink by Ted Dekker? There is another book titles Blink but another author, whose name I sadly don't remember, that was really big for a while.

Mmk Nono, I checked out "The Lovely Bones" from the library (thanks for the recommendation!). They didn't have any of the ones by James Frey, but I'll check back later.

I have read that one. It becomed one of my faves since the first time I read it. Really sad too, but hope you like it :wink2:

Ooh, cool thread! :thumb_yello:

What I recommend:

- Anything by Robert Rankin.

(Science-fiction like, hysterically funny and just absolutely brilliant. :mf_rosetinted:)

- Anything by Jonathan Safran Foer.

(He's only got 2 books so far, but especially Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is amazing.)

- All in the Mind - Alastair Campbell

(Made me cry, which is pretty impressive.)

- Michael J. Fox's autobiographies: Lucky Man and Always Looking Up.

(I think even people who aren't fans of his movies could enjoy his books, because he's extremely funny and inspiring. :wub2: [spoken like a true fan. :naughty:])

The last book I finished was The Great Perhaps by Joe Meno. I really enjoyed it- it seemed a tiny bit desperate to be "quirky" or indie but it was great overall. I've liked most of his books that I've read- Hairstyles of the Damned has become a bit of a stereotype but The Boy Detective Fails was fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Has anybody read The Book of Lost Things?

I just finished it today, I absolutely loved it!

It's about a child's loss of innocence into adulthood.

Here is the site: http://www.thebookoflostthings.com/

It has the feel of a childrens storybook, but is for sure an adult novel; it is disturbing and very twisted at many parts. It has a crazy, twisted, feel to it, kind of like a modern day version of the Grimm tales.

I'm going to buy a copy for Mika, I think he would really like it.

It fully swallows you into a different world, even though the world is similar to ours.

I completely reccommend it if you like fantasy stories!

:thumb_yello:

OH! I almost forgot, they're making a movie out of it!

Edited by findingmywords

I love reading as well, the book i read recently that i enjoyed was "I did a bad thing" - Linda Green. Definately only for teenagers and young adults, preferably over 16 though. Its a fun book, nothing too serious.

A book i felt was touching was "The boy in striped pajamas" i think everybody should read that!

Has anybody read The Book of Lost Things?

I just finished it today, I absolutely loved it!

It's about a child's loss of innocence into adulthood.

Here is the site: http://www.thebookoflostthings.com/

It has the feel of a childrens storybook, but is for sure an adult novel; it is disturbing and very twisted at many parts. It has a crazy, twisted, feel to it, kind of like a modern day version of the Grimm tales.

I'm going to buy a copy for Mika, I think he would really like it.

It fully swallows you into a different world, even though the world is similar to ours.

I completely reccommend it if you like fantasy stories!

:thumb_yello:

OH! I almost forgot, they're making a movie out of it!

I'll keep a look out for it. Sounds like my type of book!

I've been looking for new material to read so this thread is helping me a lot :teehee:

Been reading Haruki Murakami's After dark, presently, but also bought Hrd-boiled Wonderland and The End of the World...

I once read Dance, Dance, Dance but it was not a interesting as After Dark...

It's been a good holliday reading...

Been reading Haruki Murakami's After dark, presently, but also bought Hrd-boiled Wonderland and The End of the World...

I once read Dance, Dance, Dance but it was not a interesting as After Dark...

It's been a good holliday reading...

The first and last thing I have read from Murakami was Sputnik, my love (I think thats the name on english too). I loooooooooooooooooooved it so much that I read it twice in two days.

The first and last thing I have read from Murakami was Sputnik, my love (I think thats the name on english too). I loooooooooooooooooooved it so much that I read it twice in two days.

I'm sure i have it on my basement, someone brought it into the house last summer, gotta look for it and read it, I'm on Murakami right now, i'll read everything by him...:naughty:

I'm sure i have it on my basement, someone brought it into the house last summer, gotta look for it and read it, I'm on Murakami right now, i'll read everything by him...:naughty:

What's it about?

If I had them, I will do it for sure, but just have that one. Gotta buy a few more.

What's it about?

Its about a girl who falls in love with a married women older than her.:thumb_yello: