Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

Well, since you said she likes some horror and detective, get her a "classic" book like Sherlock Holmes or Frankenstein. Then, either make or buy a bookmark (if you make the bookmark, not only will you save money but you can write a personalized message on there), and attach a gift card for the bookstore, so she can buy another book she chose on her own.

But, that may not be your liking or what you are looking for. I am sure others will have suggestions as well. :thumb_yello:

Historical? Amm.. what do you think about "Memoirs of Geisha"? My mum really loved that book, even found some time for it :naughty:

Thnaks girls! The problem is............... We have so much books that we already have those. But Im thinking on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, the 8 by Katherine Neville and some other things.

@Louise, I love your idea to made something for her. I will try my best (well, my sis will do it, cause those are not my things) but sadly, I can get a gift card cause, well, we dont have those book stores roun here, so I have to buy at the mall (and they dont have so much..............)

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thnaks girls! The problem is............... We have so much books that we already have those. But Im thinking on Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, the 8 by Katherine Neville and some other things.

@Louise, I love your idea to made something for her. I will try my best (well, my sis will do it, cause those are not my things) but sadly, I can get a gift card cause, well, we dont have those book stores roun here, so I have to buy at the mall (and they dont have so much..............)

Those books would a great idea, since you know what you have already. :naughty:

Yeah, no problemo! Even if you don't make it yourself, you can help design it together, I'm sure you guys will come up with something great! Or, if you decide on a book, slip the gift card into the book like a bookmark. :naughty:

Those books would a great idea, since you know what you have already. :naughty:

Yeah, no problemo! Even if you don't make it yourself, you can help design it together, I'm sure you guys will come up with something great! Or, if you decide on a book, slip the gift card into the book like a bookmark. :naughty:

Hehehe, thats a great idea!!! :wub2:

Oh! Just had an idea now. I think she will love to have a bookmark with a pic of me and my sisters. She is always telling us how much she will love to have a pic of us 3 together (dont understand why, she sees us everyday), so maybey we can get a pic and made a bookmark with it!:wink2:

Thanks for your help!:wub2:

Hehehe, thats a great idea!!! :wub2:

Oh! Just had an idea now. I think she will love to have a bookmark with a pic of me and my sisters. She is always telling us how much she will love to have a pic of us 3 together (dont understand why, she sees us everyday), so maybey we can get a pic and made a bookmark with it!:wink2:

Thanks for your help!:wub2:

Thanks! :naughty:

She says that because...she loves you guys! By the way, that would be a very sweet idea. It's thoughtful and she'll love it very much. :wub2:

Thanks! :naughty:

She says that because...she loves you guys! By the way, that would be a very sweet idea. It's thoughtful and she'll love it very much. :wub2:

Yep, has to be that :naughty: And thanks! Now I have to share my idea with my sisters and see what they think :wink2:

Well, I read a lot of books, but I'm not into "literature".

If you have a good library, you won't even have to spend money on finding out if you like them (unless you return the books late )

I was going to mention the library, but you got there first. We (my family) own a huge amount of books, but don't have the kind of money to keep up with how much we read (we are all bookworms), so the public library has saved our bacon on more than one occasion.

I love reading! I read a lot. I recently discovered Terry Pratchett. I'm reading Mort. :biggrin2:

Woohoo for Terry!! That's who I was going to recommend. Shikutukumimika already knows about this but for those who don't, we have a Pratchett thread on MFC to discuss his books. It's in my siggie under "Ook".

i've read the 5th elephant by terry pratchett. it was nice :D

My husband is reading Fifth Elephant to my son at the moment. He's 12 and also loves Pratchett.

I tried Terry Pratchett but I couldn't finish it. It was a gift and most of the books I get are simply not my type.

Aw, that's a shame. Which one was it?

I also re-visit A Wrinkle In Time, The Hobbit, Heidi, Winnie the Pooh, and the stories of Hans Christian Andersen. I always find things I didn't notice before because I'm older and know more of the world now.

The Hobbit and LOTR! Yes!! I haven't read A Wrinkle In Time, and I didn't actually read Winnie the Pooh until I had kids of my own, but I always loved Heidi.

As for noticing things I didn't notice before... well that sums up re-reading Terry Pratchett for me. I'm forever discovering fresh new things in his books, regardless of how many times I've read them before.

Sorry to keep going on about him... but he's my absolute favourite author:blush-anim-cl:

For one, there hasn't been a single thunderstorm here in the 11 years I've lived here because dry air is necessary for thunderstorms. The humidity is way too high for it to ever dry out that much because we are on the coast. In fact, we are on a peninsula, surrounded by water. We're more likely to sink into the ocean than to have a thunderstorm.

I find this really bizarre. I used to live in Brisbane which is quite humid, although not as bad as north Queensland. That was one of the ways we knew a thunderstorm was coming... the humidity would get worse and worse and it would build up to a storm, there would be a brief violent thunderstorm, and then the humidity would lessen off a little for a short while. Now I live in Canberra which has a dry heat and we get a lot less thunderstorms than we ever did in Brisbane. We still get them, but not as much.

I got a Terry Pratchett book once as a gift (from my sister who can usually pick good books)... It has gold coins on the cover, but can't remember the name...

Your sister DID pick a good book! OK, let's see... Gold coins on the cover... Was it "Making Money?" If so, there is a book before it that introduces the main character. It might be useful to read that first. It's called "Going Postal".

OMG Reading books is one of my greatest obsession! I read very different stuff, but I have a lot favs which I read again and again.

Currently I read The Lord Of The Ring Trilogy (once again). Of course I love The Hobbit too and The Silmarillion was very intersting!

I'm addicted to Terry Pratchett!:mf_lustslow: I'm not sure which book I love the most of his discworld novels. But The Wintersmith is definitive one of my favs. (If you know the books around Tiffany:wub2: you will notice my siggie:wink2: )

I love Jane Austen, John Irving and Rita Mae Brown and her stories of Mrs. Murphy. I'm obsessed with crime thriller - Agatha Christie, Ake Edwardson, Edgar Allen Poe, Jacques Berndorf or Andrea Camilleri and so much more.

Of course I love Harry Potter. I'm sure I forgott a lot

Yep, love HP as well. And as for crime writers... I've always been a Patricia Cornwell fan. I also like Robin Cook. Not really crime, more medical thrillers.

And is anyone here a Michael Crichton fan? I love his books.

I keep a book log. Every book I read I put it in a note book along with what I thought of it

What a brilliant idea! It would be interesting to go back in 10 years time or so and re-read some of the books and see what you originally wrote and what you thought 10 years later.

Historical? Amm.. what do you think about "Memoirs of Geisha"? My mum really loved that book, even found some time for it

I have that book. It's very good. Yes, I am a mum:blush-anim-cl:

Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman... I'm just starting to get into him. I've also recently been reading The Riftwar Trilogy.

I wasn't really into Science Fiction as a child/teen, I read rather a lot of romances when I was younger, as well as stuff like The Famous Five and Malory Towers etc etc. I did read a bit of fantasy but not "high fantasy".

I have to say though, that at the moment I tend to read whatever my 12 year old is reading as he likes to discuss them with me. Apart from the Artemis Fowl books, which drive me insane and therefore I can't read them, I've read rather a lot of "young people's" fiction in the last few years and a lot less "grown-up" books. So if anyone wants to discuss Deltora Quest, Keys to the Kingdom, Rowan of Rin, The Seventh Tower, Animorphs or The Inheritance Quadrilogy, I'm your girl. Well, 37yr old, but you know what I mean.

Actually I really enjoy reading all these kid's books. To start with, most of them weren't written when I was young, and even if they had been, I would have missed out on them as they weren't romances and I wouldn't have looked at them. Now I have an excuse to read them, and I make the most of it!

I have tried to get my son off his incessant diet of sci-fi/fantasy, but there's so little else around that catches his interest and so much of this that he hasn't read yet....

Currently re-reading 'Coraline' by neil gaiman.

You all might be interested in this website. http://www.paperbackswap.com I love it! I don't know if it is available outside of the U.S.

Hah! You wrote your response while I was still composing mine!

That site sounds like a brilliant idea, except that we tend to keep all our books. Couldn't part with them!

I also was into Anne of Green Gables and Louisa May Alcott. Didn't read Emma until I was in my 20's but I find it very amusing.

I think I've read so much trash over the years that a lot of the titles have just fallen out of my head!

Nice thread! :biggrin2:

I love reading books! Have hundreds and hundreds of books in my own collection!

My favourite book certainly must be "The Trial" by Franz Kafka :wub2:

The book I'm currently reading is "The Stranger" by Albert Camus. :wink2:

This is like our English class syllabus! We just finished "The Stranger" and before that we read Kafka's "The Metamorphosis"! What did you think of "The Stranger"? I liked it quite a bit, I think! Meursault kind of grew on me towards the end :naughty:.

As for out of school reading, I really enjoy science and math books. I would really recommend "The Canon" by Natalie Angier for science geeks like myself. I also read "Freakonomics" recently, and thought it was also fantastic.

Edited by 77red

Someone mentioned Neil Gaiman... I'm just starting to get into him. I've also recently been reading The Riftwar Trilogy.

I wasn't really into Science Fiction as a child/teen, I read rather a lot of romances when I was younger, as well as stuff like The Famous Five and Malory Towers etc etc. I did read a bit of fantasy but not "high fantasy".

I have to say though, that at the moment I tend to read whatever my 12 year old is reading as he likes to discuss them with me. Apart from the Artemis Fowl books, which drive me insane and therefore I can't read them, I've read rather a lot of "young people's" fiction in the last few years and a lot less "grown-up" books. So if anyone wants to discuss Deltora Quest, Keys to the Kingdom, Rowan of Rin, The Seventh Tower, Animorphs or The Inheritance Quadrilogy, I'm your girl. Well, 37yr old, but you know what I mean.

Actually I really enjoy reading all these kid's books. To start with, most of them weren't written when I was young, and even if they had been, I would have missed out on them as they weren't romances and I wouldn't have looked at them. Now I have an excuse to read them, and I make the most of it!

I have tried to get my son off his incessant diet of sci-fi/fantasy, but there's so little else around that catches his interest and so much of this that he hasn't read yet....

I could never get into the Artemis Fowl books.

You might like 'Sea of Trolls' by Nancy Farmer, another fantasy young adult books. One of my favorite books.

Another young adult book I like is 'The Book Theif' I don't remember the author's name.

I also read more young adult books than adult. It's hard for me to find books I like these days and a lot of young adult books get right into the plot unlike a lot of adult books. My excuse is that I am reading them for research since I am writing a young adult novel.

Hah! You wrote your response while I was still composing mine!

That site sounds like a brilliant idea, except that we tend to keep all our books. Couldn't part with them!

lol, yeah, that's why I don't have any books up on it right now. Though I do need to clean out my bookshelves and get rid of any books that I'm not in love with. I don't have any more space for books and I keep bringing them in!

You might like 'Sea of Trolls' by Nancy Farmer, another fantasy young adult books. One of my favorite books.

Another young adult book I like is 'The Book Theif' I don't remember the author's name.

I also read more young adult books than adult. It's hard for me to find books I like these days and a lot of young adult books get right into the plot unlike a lot of adult books. My excuse is that I am reading them for research since I am writing a young adult novel.

We read "The Book Thief" recently also! I also though it was really great. Very sad, but very well written.

Nice excuse!

OK, apart from Sea of Trolls and The Book Theif, is there anything else you'd recommend?

What age group are you aiming at? Boys, girls or both? What genre?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just really interested.

Bought Angela Carter's "Night at the Circus" today, decided to give it a go as i never read any other book by her...

Let's see if Mika has a good taste for books and writers i know nothing about..;)

Oh and i'm into N. Gaiman's American Gods...Very Good!

Bought Angela Carter's "Night at the Circus" today, decided to give it a go as i never read any other book by her...

Let's see if Mika has a good taste for books and writers i know nothing about..;)

Oh and i'm into N. Gaiman's American Gods...Very Good!

Well, we know that Mika's into Neil, although whether it's just the animated side of things or whether he actually reads the books I don't know.

You all know that JackViolet is a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, don't you? She follows him around to book signings etc.

Well, we know that Mika's into Neil, although whether it's just the animated side of things or whether he actually reads the books I don't know.

You all know that JackViolet is a HUGE Neil Gaiman fan, don't you? She follows him around to book signings etc.

Hi, Dee...

Yep, I started reading Coraline after Mika mentioned it and took the children to see the movie, but then animation was not enough and last week I bought American Gods which is almost finished and is just excellent...

Nope, didn't know she was his fan, just read her things and find her extremely talented...:thumb_yello:

And here i go to bed with "Night at the Circus" though mine is not going to last longer as it is 2h30am here in Portugal...;)

Nice excuse!

OK, apart from Sea of Trolls and The Book Theif, is there anything else you'd recommend?

What age group are you aiming at? Boys, girls or both? What genre?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I'm just really interested.

Let's see if I can remember some of the books I liked when I was a teen. I really liked the fantasy books Tamora Pierce (sp?) wrote. They are more aimed towards girls but my older brother liked them too. :-D

I read a lot of books by Patricia A. McKillip, really liked the Riddle Master of Hed trilogy.

I liked the Crown Duel books. I think the author's name is Sherwood Smith.

A more adult fantasy book is 'Green Rider' by Kristen Britain. And the next two books after that is 'First Rider's Call' and 'The High King's Tomb'

You also might like the Circle Trilogy by Ted Dekker. 'Black' 'Red' and 'White' They aren't my favorite of his books but a lot of people like them. I think he also is writing some young adult books based in the world he created.

Not a fantasy book but still a great book is 'Thr3e' and 'Blink' by Ted Dekker.

I also loved 'Comes a Horseman' by Robert Liparulo.

lol, I could go on forever about books and writing!

Hmm, I guess girls would like the book I'm writing more but I'm trying to write it so both gender's can enjoy it and trying to make it so adults can read it without them feeling like their brains are turning into mush.

I have felt that way while trying to read some young adult novels.

The genre is fantasy. It's starting to turn into a modern day Beauty and the Beast. lol, but I've got a lot of my own twists in there.

Nutty, I was just looking at your profile... Has it really only been since the start of March that you joined? It seems like you've been here longer!

lol, yeah I’ve spent quite a lot of time on here since joining. It’s turning into an addiction.:blush-anim-cl:

Hi, Dee...

Yep, I started reading Coraline after Mika mentioned it and took the children to see the movie, but then animation was not enough and last week I bought American Gods which is almost finished and is just excellent...

Nope, didn't know she was his fan, just read her things and find her extremely talented...:thumb_yello:

And here i go to bed with "Night at the Circus" though mine is not going to last longer as it is 2h30am here in Portugal...;)

Hi Miss Wonka. Glad you're enjoying Neil. It's taken me a while to let myself get comfortable with the idea of him (long story).

Yes, she is talented, isn't she? Are you following her on twitter? A lot of it is Neil related lol.