Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

EDIT: I forgot one more book' date=' "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. However, it is really violent and might arise unpleasant feelings. I must admit I liked it, made me think a lot.

And it would be perfect if you knew a little Russian, in this case you will understand "the slang". ;)[/quote']

I've never read that book, though i watched the movie and quite enjoyed it... I might have to get it out from the library I think!

I NEED to read twilight. I have friends who have either watched it or read it and I've done neither. I prefer to read the book before watching the film...So I need to go book shopping. Lucky my birthday's coming up then, eh?

if you want to actually enjoy the movie without sitting there going "WTF???" I wouldn't read the book beforehand... they screwed it up in my opinion...

Well, I have read and watched Twilight and this is what I think. I read the book before I watched the movie, wrong! Why?? Cause the movie cuts some important parts of the book and you dont understand most of the reactions of the characters. I thought the book was good, not the worst not the greatest, but didnt liked the movie.

I completely agree with you... they're going to struggle to explain some parts relating to Jasper, and they took out Alice's past which sucks...

I tried Terry Pratchett but I couldn't finish it. It was a gift and most of the books I get are simply not my type.

I got a Terry Pratchett book once as a gift (from my sister who can usually pick good books)... It has gold coins on the cover, but can't remember the name...

I will TOTALLY back you up on that and take all the heat for you!

I live in the place that the stories were set and let me just warn any prospective authors to PLEASE do more research than a quick Google search before you set a story in a real place. Forks, Port Angeles, La Push, and other locales are NOTHING like in the book.

For one, there hasn't been a single thunderstorm here in the 11 years I've lived here because dry air is necessary for thunderstorms. The humidity is way too high for it to ever dry out that much because we are on the coast. In fact, we are on a peninsula, surrounded by water. We're more likely to sink into the ocean than to have a thunderstorm.

Don't even get me started on the physical descriptions and the characters. People around here would sooner stone a new person than write high school newspaper stories about them. The word xenophobia was created for places like this.

Even in the moments when I did manage to suspend disbelief long enough to cope with how very wrong she got every detail, I couldn't get past the quality of the writing and the romanticization of everything that is wrong with dysfunctional relationships. Stalking, emotional abuse, and manipulation are not desirable behaviors in a prospective partner no matter how good looking he is. But hey, what's a little abuse between people who smell delicious to each other.

Ok, I've got them off your track. Now, RUN! :naughty:

Wow... interesting...

This might seem like a strange thing to ask, but could I quote you and put it on a Twilight forum for hte irritating fangirls to discuss?

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, now for my favourites...

My favourite author is Jonathan Kellerman, and he writes crime fiction, but also includes some serious psychological aspects into his work... really interesting stuff.. I've read almost all of his books, and (with the exception of 2) I thoroughly enjoyed them...

I've also read and enjoyed:

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

The Shining - Stephen King

Carrie - Stephen King

The Green Mile - Stephen King

Seven Ancient Wonders/Six Sacred Stones - Matthew Reilly (it incorporates ancient history, religion and action in one... love it!)

The Tomorrow Series - John Marsden (basically a bunch of teens go camping and while they're gone another country invades Australia and they fight back)

Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer (it was an easy read.. not my favourite, but okay...)

Harry Potter Series - J. K Rowling (besides Harry's emo moments, quite good)

Vampire Beach Series - Alex Duval (I thought were better than Twilight - it's at least a tad more realistic in the teen romance department than Twilight IMO)

The Hunt For Atlantis/The Tomb Of Hercules/The Secret of Excalibur - Andy McDermott (Similar to Matthew Reilly's, but more on the history and myth than religion)

When I was younger I used to read horror/thriller novels, but haven't read any since I was about 13...

I don't read too many romance novels, though I do enjoy reading fan fiction and other fiction people have written (I've written my fair share of fan fiction in my time, and apparently I do a good job :naughty:)

There's heaps more books I've read, but I can't remember any of them...

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Phantom of the Opera are must reads!

Never read The Phantom of the Opera, but Alice is one amazing book! Oh, and Winnie the Pooh :wub2:

I've read only the first one and have seen the movie as well. They're okay, but I'm no fangirl for them...:fisch:

PS: You Twilght super fans, please don't shoot me for saying that. :roftl:

I think the same. They are ok, but not the best thing ever.

I completely agree with you... they're going to struggle to explain some parts relating to Jasper, and they took out Alice's past which sucks...

Yep. I think they will cut all the parts with Jasper on movies 2 and 3, and some Alice too :thumbdown: And Carlisle and Esme too, they will just put Balle, Edward, Jakob.........

I've also read and enjoyed:

The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien

Carrie - Stephen King

The Green Mile - Stephen King

Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer (it was an easy read.. not my favourite, but okay...)

Harry Potter Series - J. K Rowling (besides Harry's emo moments, quite good)

Agree with those! :thumb_yello:

A Bear Called Paddington - It's amazing when you're ill and want to read something funny. :wub2:

Awww... I always wanted to read Paddington ! ... Instead I read Winnie the Pooh :wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

I love reading. It's my escape from this world. But yet I can't say I have a favourite book, I like many of them and I like different styles. However I hate it if books are depressed and sad.

I also like buying books but they're very expensive here.:thumbdown:

Oh, and one more thing-what's your opinion on e books? IMO they could never replace ''normal'' old-style books. Nothing in this world feels better than taking a book in your hands and slowly drifting away from the real world into a world that exists in a book. And turning page after page. I like the way the books smell.:wub2:

:wub2:Oh Annabelle, this could be me, writing this sentences! :blush-anim-cl:The smell of the books, how it feels to hold a book in your hands. I agree to all what you said about that! It makes me happy in a way only music is able to do it!

I don't like e books! That's is no satisfaction for me!:no:

I've got it here next to me. In English and in Dutch. :wub2: You should really read it, it's just genius!

I wish. :wub2:

Now I really want to finish this book I'm reading right now... but there's something bigger out there...

[MFC :wub2:]

OMG Reading books is one of my greatest obsession! I read very different stuff, but I have a lot favs which I read again and again.

Currently I read The Lord Of The Ring Trilogy (once again). Of course I love The Hobbit too and The Silmarillion was very intersting!

I'm addicted to Terry Pratchett!:mf_lustslow: I'm not sure which book I love the most of his discworld novels. But The Wintersmith is definitive one of my favs. (If you know the books around Tiffany:wub2: you will notice my siggie:wink2: )

I love Jane Austen, John Irving and Rita Mae Brown and her stories of Mrs. Murphy. I'm obsessed with crime thriller - Agatha Christie, Ake Edwardson, Edgar Allen Poe, Jacques Berndorf or Andrea Camilleri and so much more.

Of course I love Harry Potter. I'm sure I forgott a lot:blush-anim-cl:

So I'm somewhere between addicted to and obsessed with books :naughty: I find myself buying them even if I don't particularly like the author. This may sound weird, but I but books a lot of the time for their smell. :bleh: I'm not even kidding. If a book smells really good then I'll buy it.

Right now I'm in the beginning of Son of a Witch which is the sequal to Wicked. They're both really good!

I keep a book log. Every book I read I put it in a note book along with what I thought of it :biggrin2:

I have a strange obsession with Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I loved the novella by Truman Capote and the movie starring Audrey Hepburn. Then, there was a song a few years back and a few other references that I went wild for. The orginal story is still my favorite.

I love that movie too, but I've never read the novella.

Attacked isn't the word I would use. However, there are still droves of fans making pilgrimages to Forks and La Bella Italia.

The tourist revenue is great, but the displays and signs are hideous from a design perspective. It was easy enough to ignore until all of the merchandise came out after the movie.

There are some local fans of the books, but they tend to be the people who were wearing fangs and cheap capes when LARPing was popular ten years ago. (LARP = Live Action Role Play) Now, they are just happy for an excuse to wear their fangs and capes again.

Only if you attribute the quote to riverstwilight AND send me a PM with a link to the page where you quote it so that I can enjoy the results too. I promise that I will only watch :original:

Yayness! I most certainly will!

All the Twilight madness is hilarious, they're doing a Twilight prom thing, and people are giving the crappiest answers...

:wub2:Oh Annabelle, this could be me, writing this sentences! :blush-anim-cl:The smell of the books, how it feels to hold a book in your hands. I agree to all what you said about that! It makes me happy in a way only music is able to do it!

I don't like e books! That's is no satisfaction for me!:no:

Glad to hear you agree.:original::wink2:

Hello again all book & literature lovers!

Tomorrow I have this photoshoo for the end of the 5th-8th grades (I forgot know how this stage is named :blush-anim-cl:) and I'll need to have a "original! quote/ motto under my picture... I searched books and stuff and I have NO idea.

I've wrote some poems myself but they're no good for this kinda stuff. I'll post my self-made lyrics for this and I'll need your advice.

I know you guys read a lot and are very creative and I need your help!

Sorry if this is off-topic but I didn't find a better place for it :no:

EDIT:

1st idea (made out of Mika's "Overrated" lyrics"): "My dreams are painted in a colour nobody has ever seen before." (it has to describe me... is it any good?)

THANK YOU! :huglove:

Edited by adda

Hello again all book & literature lovers!

Tomorrow I have this photoshoo for the end of the 5th-8th grades (I forgot know how this stage is named :blush-anim-cl:) and I'll need to have a "original! quote/ motto under my picture... I searched books and stuff and I have NO idea.

I've wrote some poems myself but they're no good for this kinda stuff. I'll post my self-made lyrics for this and I'll need your advice.

I know you guys read a lot and are very creative and I need your help!

Sorry if this is off-topic but I didn't find a better place for it :no:

EDIT:

1st idea (made out of Mika's "Overrated" lyrics"): "My dreams are painted in a colour nobody has ever seen before." (it has to describe me... is it any good?)

THANK YOU! :huglove:

That sentence sounds so cool. :wub2:

And I finished a poem.. I don't really like it so much.

Red are the leaves of the roses

Outside in my garden.

I smell them and think,

They're red like blood,

They're sharp like a knife,

But I know their smell is good.

Red are the eyes

Of my favorite vampire.

I look at them and think,

They're red like blood,

They're stinging like a knife,

But I know their master is good.

Red are the blooddrops

Rolling over my arm.

I feel them and think,

Red and hot is my blood,

Sharp and stinging is my knife,

But I know it'll never be good.

Edited by Shikutukumimika

Need help.

My mums b-day is getting closer and me and my sisters thought about buying some books for her. Any suggestions?

Aww, that's a sweet idea! But, really, it depends on what type of books your mother likes.

Aww, that's a sweet idea! But, really, it depends on what type of books your mother likes.

Thanks! Well, she likes every kind of novels. Specially historic, horror, detective.................. But mostly every thing related.

Thanks! Well, she likes every kind of novels. Specially historic, horror, detective.................. But mostly every thing related.

Well, since you said she likes some horror and detective, get her a "classic" book like Sherlock Holmes or Frankenstein. Then, either make or buy a bookmark (if you make the bookmark, not only will you save money but you can write a personalized message on there), and attach a gift card for the bookstore, so she can buy another book she chose on her own.

But, that may not be your liking or what you are looking for. I am sure others will have suggestions as well. :thumb_yello:

Historical? Amm.. what do you think about "Memoirs of Geisha"? My mum really loved that book, even found some time for it :naughty: