Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

That one's from The Golden Apples of the Sun, right?

Apart from the well known Martian Chronicles, Farenheit 451, Yestermorrow, etc., the man has writen lots of amazing and different not sci-fi books like "Green Shadows, White Whale" and "A Graveyard for Lunatics". Love him. :blush-anim-cl:

i have a book with short fantastic stories and those two were listed there too.

it's called The Night Train. :blink:

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've nearly finished Angela Carter's "Nights at the Circus" - because someone said Mika had read it - and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. You can see how it has influenced Mika's view of Clowns - they are not entirely benign, and certainly not happy :naughty:

I enjoy Jane Austen ("Emma" is my favourite - she is such a selfish little madam :naughty:), also Grahame Green ("Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or The Bomb Party" made me cry on the tube - very embarrassing :blush-anim-cl: - I also loved "The End of the Affair")

I've nearly finished Angela Carter's "Nights at the Circus" - because someone said Mika had read it - and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. You can see how it has influenced Mika's view of Clowns - they are not entirely benign, and certainly not happy :naughty:

I enjoy Jane Austen ("Emma" is my favourite - she is such a selfish little madam :naughty:), also Grahame Green ("Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or The Bomb Party" made me cry on the tube - very embarrassing :blush-anim-cl: - I also loved "The End of the Affair")

i can't find angela carter's books anywhere :aah:

she should really keep writing. it's great :thumb_yello:

and i do recommend El Cartero it's lovely :wink2:

I will tell her, but Im sure she will say thanks and that please, dont lie............ :naughty: (yep, she has no confidence on her at all)

Ok, will try to find it! :thumb_yello: thanks!

I will tell her, but Im sure she will say thanks and that please, dont lie............ :naughty: (yep, she has no confidence on her at all)

Ok, will try to find it! :thumb_yello: thanks!

i understand but little words coming from many people could give her confidence :wink2:

i understand but little words coming from many people could give her confidence :wink2:

I know. Btw, I told her (like every week) to keep on writing and she told me she will do it when she finishes writing some other things............

I know. Btw, I told her (like every week) to keep on writing and she told me she will do it when she finishes writing some other things............

well if she's writing other things then it's ok too :bleh:

I just finished reading "Gone with the wind" .... again. It is :wub2: and I'm speechless. I recommend it :wink2:

Wow. you guys sure know a lot more about literature than me :blush-anim-cl:

I just finished reading "Gone with the wind" .... again. It is :wub2: and I'm speechless. I recommend it :wink2:

Wow. you guys sure know a lot more about literature than me :blush-anim-cl:

oh by the way :fisch: i've read Ronnie's autobiography :wub2:

Oh and I must ad Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott. Loved it ... and as authors Bronte, Jane Austen, Alexandre Dumas (fave "The three musketeers" :wub2:), Peter Mayle... uhh and more...

I wrote some poems ... well they're not great .... and I'm trying to finish a story (needs serious grammar & spelling check:thumbdown:)

I love reading! I read a lot. I recently discovered Terry Pratchett. I'm reading Mort. :biggrin2:

And I would recommend Go Ask Alice to everyone, it's a real diary, about a girl on the drugs, I thought it was very touching. I'm gonna do my speach for English about it. :wink2:

*Edit: Oh yeah, I write/wrote poems.. They're on my old deviantart, http://www.annetj.deviantart.com. Any new will come on my new deviantart, http://www.intoxicatedrainbow.deviantart.com

Edited by Shikutukumimika

I love reading! I read a lot. I recently discovered Terry Pratchett. I'm reading Mort. :biggrin2:

And I would recommend Go Ask Alice to everyone, it's a real diary, about a girl on the drugs, I thought it was very touching. I'm gonna do my speach for English about it. :wink2:

*Edit: Oh yeah, I write/wrote poems.. They're on my old deviantart, http://www.annetj.deviantart.com. Any new will come on my new deviantart, http://www.intoxicatedrainbow.deviantart.com

i've read the 5th elephant by terry pratchett. it was nice :D

i'll check your poems :wink2:

I tried Terry Pratchett but I couldn't finish it. It was a gift and most of the books I get are simply not my type.

EDIT: I read your poems. Love them!!

My favourites are Pride & Prejudice, Jane Eyre, Little Dorrit and the Twilight books. I'm currently reading Atonement.

I LOVE Pride & Prejudice:wub2: . I can't remember how many time I've read it. The book smells like roses *sigh*

AND the Twilight Saga .... if I start talking about it now (twilight) ... I won't stop 'till tomorrow *quote*: You really shouldn't have said that. */quote* :naughty:

RIGHT NOW I'm reading Hermann Broch translated after "Die Verzauberung". Another book I got as a gift. :blush-anim-cl:

I wanted to post my poem but it will ruin this beautiful thread.

Edited by adda

I tried Terry Pratchett but I couldn't finish it. It was a gift and most of the books I get are simply not my type.

EDIT: I read your poems. Love them!!

I LOVE Pride & Prejudice:wub2: . I can't remember how many time I've read it. The book smells like roses *sigh*

AND the Twilight Saga .... if I start talking about it now (twilight) ... I won't stop 'till tomorrow *quote*: You really shouldn't have said that. */quote* :naughty:

RIGHT NOW I'm reading Hermann Broch translated after "Die Verzauberung". Another book I got as a gift. :blush-anim-cl:

I wanted to post my poem but it will ruin this beautiful thread.

Thanks. :blush-anim-cl:

I tried to read Pride and Prejudice, but I just couldn't find it. *Okay, that sounds weird.* In my house, there are bookshelfs all around the walls of the living room. And they are full. Something like.. 5000 books. So I just couldn't find it. :roftl:

I'm reading "Het midden van de wereld", originally "Die Mitte der Welt". I forgot the name of the writer, and I don't know an English title too. But it's a beautiful book. :wub2:

Aw, of course not! Just post it, after that you know wether it ruined it or not. :wink2:

Ok... the poem :

Love is more than this.

More than leaving and hurting

Just because you think is right

More than hurting eachother

In the middle of the night.

I don't want to feel this again

I rather stay

In the middle of the porring rain

But I'll never pray

For you to come back again.

I wish you could disappear

From my heart and my head.

No, I won't shed a tear

Remembering the words you said.

When you left me here alone

I was broken, I lost my mine

I tried to run on the unknown

Path that you left

behind.

I couldn' realise that you were gone

Far away, running like the wind

Faster than time, slipping in the dawn

Of my life, blowing my mind.

You said you never truly loved me

Like you confessed a crime.

You told me I was free

Then you kissed me for the last time.

and the my self-made lyrics

They knew things were going to be better

And when everybody was out of sight

They clasped their hands together

And walked slowly into the dim light.

:blush-anim-cl:

:shocked:

I love it! :wub2:

I just kind of feel it.

YAY! So happy you like it ... and it makes you feel something...

I'm :shocked: that it worked (making someone feel what it says)

YAY! So happy you like it ... and it makes you feel something...

I'm :shocked: that it worked (making someone feel what it says)

I'm happy that it makes me feel it.

This are the first lines of a new poem, can you tell me what you think? I don't know wether I'll ever finish it, and I'm stuck here, but whatever. :naughty:

Red are the leaves of the roses

Outside in my garden

I smell them and think,

They're red like blood,

They're sharp like a knife.

But their smell is good.

:mf_lustslow:

I'm happy that it makes me feel it.

This are the first lines of a new poem, can you tell me what you think? I don't know wether I'll ever finish it, and I'm stuck here, but whatever. :naughty:

Red are the leaves of the roses

Outside in my garden

I smell them and think,

They're red like blood,

They're sharp like a knife.

But their smell is good.

This is genius!! Please finish it or I can't go to sleep!

Please please please pleeeeeaaaaase!!!

This will be my bedtime story!

I am curently reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho.

Then I have, about, four other books after that that I have bought and are ready to be read. One of which is this one:

:bleh:

I NEED to read twilight. I have friends who have either watched it or read it and I've done neither. I prefer to read the book before watching the film...So I need to go book shopping :roftl: Lucky my birthday's coming up then, eh? :D

I've read only the first one and have seen the movie as well. They're okay, but I'm no fangirl for them...:fisch:

PS: You Twilght super fans, please don't shoot me for saying that. :roftl:

I will TOTALLY back you up on that and take all the heat for you!

I live in the place that the stories were set and let me just warn any prospective authors to PLEASE do more research than a quick Google search before you set a story in a real place. Forks, Port Angeles, La Push, and other locales are NOTHING like in the book.

For one, there hasn't been a single thunderstorm here in the 11 years I've lived here because dry air is necessary for thunderstorms. The humidity is way too high for it to ever dry out that much because we are on the coast. In fact, we are on a peninsula, surrounded by water. We're more likely to sink into the ocean than to have a thunderstorm.

Don't even get me started on the physical descriptions and the characters. People around here would sooner stone a new person than write high school newspaper stories about them. The word xenophobia was created for places like this.

Even in the moments when I did manage to suspend disbelief long enough to cope with how very wrong she got every detail, I couldn't get past the quality of the writing and the romanticization of everything that is wrong with dysfunctional relationships. Stalking, emotional abuse, and manipulation are not desirable behaviors in a prospective partner no matter how good looking he is. But hey, what's a little abuse between people who smell delicious to each other.

Ok, I've got them off your track. Now, RUN! :naughty:

I once read Forks is being attacked by masses of Fangirls now. Is that still the same?:roftl: