Thoughts on the Songs for Sorrow EP?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ooh yeah. could someone tell me in the first few drawings of toy boy by Jim Woodring, on the 15th page, there is like a shadow in the back...it looks like a mom/dad/adult person....but is there a shadow of a little kid? Like I thought maybe the parent was telling the kid not to play with the doll, but I can't really see any shadow besides like a really small nose (well I think its a nose of a kid...I'm not sure :aah:) near the bed...anyways, yeah :teehee:

Ther shadow of the little boy is on the bookshelf.

Anyone willing to discuss some of the art work with me? Mainly the second drawing for Toy Boy by Al Columbia. It makes me think a lot. I'm trying to inrepret the interpretation :bleh:

I have read the whole discussion with big interest, the book in my hand!

It really helps me to understand more of the pictures and what the artist was thinking and interpreting of the songs.

Maybe we should have a special thread for just discussing the artwork?:wink2:

my only problem is the pages are not numbered (most of them)

so when i'm looking for, say page 59 to see who drew the picture, i have to count from the last page that was numbered. not all artists signed their drawings. i'm too lazy for that! :naughty:

Yeah that's a real problem to me too, lazy people didn't put down the side numbers!:sneaky2:

I was seriously thinking of scratching them down myself but I don't want to distroy the drawings?

Maybe leads?:naughty:

A note about the EP/Book -- we've discovered that a lot of people have

received a copy in error, especially those who ordered the digital version

may have gotten a copy of the actual EP/book (like I did!).

If you did get one of those copies by mistake, it would be very nice of you

to contact Sandbag and let them know. They may want you to return

that copy, since the book is limited edition -- and they will reimburse

you for the return postage.

The email address to contact is:

orders@sandbag.uk.com

Thanks! :thumb_yello:

I have read the whole discussion with big interest, the book in my hand!

It really helps me to understand more of the pictures and what the artist was thinking and interpreting of the songs.

Maybe we should have a special thread for just discussing the artwork?:wink2:

I was thinking the same thing. Is there one? I'll make one if not. :thumb_yello:

I believe it is a hallmark of that particular artist, Tao Nyeu. She

draws lots of bunnies and bears in her illustrations for children's books. :thumb_yello:

http://www.tao-illustration.com/

But then it also mentions bears in the drawing after that (I think). It says "The Bear Truth" and then there's a kid holding a teddy bear or something.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it :teehee:

But then it also mentions bears in the drawing after that (I think). It says "The Bear Truth" and then there's a kid holding a teddy bear or something.

Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it :teehee:

Haha nah, I noticed it too.. Can't connect wine with bears so dunno what means there! :aah:

Anyone willing to discuss some of the art work with me? Mainly the second drawing for Toy Boy by Al Columbia. It makes me think a lot. I'm trying to inrepret the interpretation :bleh:

When the boy is in bed it is not clear whether it is the boy or the toy boy. But have you seen how the adults in the picture are depicted with their mouths open - they have a say in what goes on, and ultimately rule. Then there's the boy who's either dressed his toy to look like him, or has fashioned himself like his toy? and his mouth is closed. He's doesn't have a say and is subject to others' control. I know his hands look like toy hands, but is the boy in fact just a reflection of a toy - where others ( the adults) are in control of his life and his body is left limp ready to be moulded by others. The smile of course we all know can hide many a true thought. The picture under his lamp might reveal the boy's real frustration. And through that he is able to scream out how trapped he feels! Any thoughts? ;)

Edited by purple friend
just added colour

new items soon at mikastore?! and my code and points? :tears:

THERE IS NO NEED TO WAIT FOR CODES AND POINTS JUST KEEP CHECKING THE WEBSITE (message from Helen at Sandbag)

... I guess I believe her... and don't care that much, anyway. Probably some merchandise ..:cool: