Thoughts on the Songs for Sorrow EP?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just got mine....Its beautiful :teehee:

I don't really know what else to say...everything about it is amazing, all of the artwork really connects with the songs...and its all so gorgeous :wub2:

I really like toy boy and lady jane :biggrin2:

Awww: I hope you're being honest!

Emerald... I feel you

Why should't I?:mf_rosetinted:

I'm obviously in the 10% then

You are, aren't ya, you...you...you Mika Kisser!:roftl:

They just pretend to have one basically. :naughty:

Or that!:mf_rosetinted:

:naughty: I'm too random:aah:

Aren't we all???:biggrin2:

I have two questions about the EP:

Why is there practically NO celeste on Toy Boy?

Why is Blue Eyes now mainly guitar-based? I miss the piano intro :sad:

But having said those things, I still love it. I looooove the woodwind and everything in Toy Boy especially :mf_lustslow:

Why should't I?:mf_rosetinted

You are, aren't ya, you...you...you Mika Kisser!:roftl

Or that!:mf_rosetinted

Aren't we all???:biggrin2:

Don't know.:mf_rosetinted:

Oh!:sneaky2: How DARE you!!!!!:sneaky2: My Queen!! Protect me!!!!:aah:

Can't help you there my dear...:king::mf_rosetinted:

I'm a bit less crazed today. Have been to work and concentrated quite well. However it's coming up half eleven - what am i doing on the MFC site? I have got to get a grip!!!! And really I should stop listening to just Mika or maybe at least listen to something other than Toy Boy. Poor obsessed me!

Edited by purple friend
Forgot to add bit about the EP! Genuinely scared of repercussions of being off topic!

Anyone willing to discuss some of the art work with me? Mainly the second drawing for Toy Boy by Al Columbia. It makes me think a lot. I'm trying to inrepret the interpretation :bleh:

do you mean the one with the tree and like an orange sky? :cheerful_h4h:

YES! The noose and little white monkeys are quite intriguing (sp?), don't you think?

What do you make of it?

Yeah the whole thing is really interesting..

I'm not sure what the little monkeys mean but I was thinking about the boy and the girl, and is the boy dragging a boy doll? OK, I just looked at it closer, is the blonde one a girl? or a boy? I thought it was a boy...

well if if was a girl and a boy and the boy dragging the boy doll this is what I think....I was just thinking maybe the girl wants him to hang the doll, maybe like metaphorical or something? to hang the doll could be to make him grow up and be more serious because I was just thinking of the line in Toy Boy that said "its a serious thing in a grown up world" so maybe the girl wanted the boy to grow up....? I'm not sure and I think there are so many more ideas that could go with this drawing, its so interesting :teehee: what do you think?

i received mine yesterday and i :wub2: it.

my only problem is the pages are not numbered (most of them)

so when i'm looking for, say page 59 to see who drew the picture, i have to count from the last page that was numbered. not all artists signed their drawings. i'm too lazy for that! :naughty:

so when i'm looking for, say page 59 to see who drew the picture, i have to count from the last page that was numbered. not all artists signed their drawings. i'm too lazy for that! :naughty:

Haha, I was thinking the same when I first looked through it. :aah:

Yeah the whole thing is really interesting..

I'm not sure what the little monkeys mean but I was thinking about the boy and the girl, and is the boy dragging a boy doll? OK, I just looked at it closer, is the blonde one a girl? or a boy? I thought it was a boy...

well if if was a girl and a boy and the boy dragging the boy doll this is what I think....I was just thinking maybe the girl wants him to hang the doll, maybe like metaphorical or something? to hang the doll could be to make him grow up and be more serious because I was just thinking of the line in Toy Boy that said "its a serious thing in a grown up world" so maybe the girl wanted the boy to grow up....? I'm not sure and I think there are so many more ideas that could go with this drawing, its so interesting :teehee: what do you think?

Ooohh, I like that. Personally I wasn't even thinking about the little girl myself. And yes, the one dragging the doll is a boy. or at least it looks like a boy to me. Anyway, I focused on the monkeys and the noose. I was thinking of that line "But you left me in Georgia."

I happened to notice that all of the monkeys are white and started thinking that maybe the boy and girl were in Georgia (the surrounding does look like the countryside). Maybe the white monkeys (KKK) wanted the little boy to hang the doll because "It's a serious thing in a grown up world."

Pretty much, I think the monkeys represent the KKK who hung not only African Americans but gays and just about anyone who was not white christian american. :mf_rosetinted:

And I do think the monkey in the bottom left corner of the second page is extremely adorable :teehee:

Edited by purplegrape

Haha, I was thinking the same when I first looked through it. :aah:

I had that problem at first too but then realized I could tell which artist did some of the different pictures and could tell what pictures went together so all I had to do was see which artist drew the first batch and when the drawings looked different it must be the next artist. I stopped using the numbers. :biggrin2:

Ooohh, I like that. Personally I wasn't even thinking about the little girl myself. And yes, the one dragging the doll is a boy. or at least it looks like a boy to me. Anyway, I focused on the monkeys and the noose. I was thinking of that line "But you left me in Georgia."

I happened to notice that all of the monkeys are white and started thinking that maybe the boy and girl were in Georgia (the surrounding does look like the countryside). Maybe the white monkeys (KKK) wanted the little boy to hang the doll because "It's a serious thing in a grown up world."

Pretty much, I think the monkeys represent the KKK who hung not only African Americans but gays and just about anyone who was not white christian american. :mf_rosetinted:

And I do think the monkey in the bottom left corner of the second page is extremely adorable :teehee:

Oh yeah, that makes sense, I really like your interpretation and ideas:wink2:

I think the most interesting thing in that drawing for me is that noose thing...like the boy and the girl, they look sort of young, I guess and a noose is really advanced (I'm not sure if that's the right word..) I mean like hanging someone shouldn't be on a child's mind...they wouldn't think of death and scary things like, I guess "grown up" ideas....:dunno: its interesting to see a really young boy and girl going in the direction of something intense like a noose..something that might represent death....:dunno:

and yes, that monkey is pretty cute :teehee:

ooh yeah. could someone tell me in the first few drawings of toy boy by Jim Woodring, on the 15th page, there is like a shadow in the back...it looks like a mom/dad/adult person....but is there a shadow of a little kid? Like I thought maybe the parent was telling the kid not to play with the doll, but I can't really see any shadow besides like a really small nose (well I think its a nose of a kid...I'm not sure :aah:) near the bed...anyways, yeah :teehee: