Mika admits: "I'm a sh*t pianist"

marlau_20zr

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/a160069/mika-admits-im-a-sht-pianist.html

Monday, June 15 2009, 16:50 BST

By David Balls, Music Reporter

Mika has claimed that he could never make it as a classical artist because he is a "sh*t pianist".

The star, who released EP 'Songs For Sorrow' last week, was briefly enrolled at the prestigious Royal College of Music in London before deciding to focus on a pop career.

"I know I'm a sh*t pianist - one of the worst I've ever met who does my job - and a mediocre classical singer," he told The Observer.

"I tried to hide it from my peers at college but I knew what I wanted out of it. I have no delusions of grandeur. I know that I write pop songs, and I know that I am meant to be doing what I am doing because I realised it made me tick as a little boy."

The 25-year-old added that his mum recognised his musical potential when he was at an early age and sought private tuition to develop his piano and singing skills.

"From the age of about ten, my mum made me practise every day. She was extremely tough with me," he said.

"She realised that my oddness had some sort of purpose. She realised how I was very insular as a child. Socially extremely insular, but creatively, extremely loud.

"She realised that for me not to end completely f**ked up, she had to help me."

Mika releases the follow-up to debut album Life In Cartoon Motion in September.

sorry if it was already posted it.. :blush-anim-cl:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:lmfao:

That's our man :mf_rosetinted: A sexually confused sh#t pianist :wub2:

*waiting for the next random headline* :boing:

:roftl:

I wonder what it could be about... :teehee: I can already see the next headline: Mika to move countryside for vegetables

Mika wants to move "somewhere in the countryside, because I want to follow that nice English tradition of pop stars making vegetables and cheese..." Then he recants: "To tell you the truth, that fills me with horror."

Surely it'll be about anything else than the next album. :mf_rosetinted:

I wonder what it could be about... :teehee: I can already see the next headline: Mika to move countryside for vegetables

Mika wants to move "somewhere in the countryside, because I want to follow that nice English tradition of pop stars making vegetables and cheese..." Then he recants: "To tell you the truth, that fills me with horror."

Classic!:clap:

:lmfao:

That's our man :mf_rosetinted: A sexually confused sh#t pianist :wub2:

*waiting for the next random headline* :boing:

I'm a **** pianist! And I like cheese and vegetables!

I must be related to Mika!

he is not the better pianist on earth, but he makes the most beautiful songs I have ever heard :wub2: , some other artistes play piano better than him but they does not touch my heart as Mika does :)... he is just perfect in his own way and with his sensibility :thumb_yello:

For this quote, I would say to Mika "never say never" you don't know where the weather can drive you sometimes :D (I don't know if I can say it in english, nevermind)

Edited by Etoile2roses

I'm so happy M is a **** pianist...because he's developed his own music and has written fabby new songs! :wub2::wub2:

He should definitely stop this self-bashing attitude.

BTW it's so difficult to be a good pianist or classical musician in general if you can't read music. Almost impossible I would say. :no:

I can play Bach, Beethoven, Debussy, etc... but I can't play and sing M's songs as he wonderfully does. :blush-anim-cl:

I've played piano for years and I'm still googley-eyed when I see him play...and on top of that, knowing he came up with those wonderful works.... he's a fabulous pianist, regardless of whether he believes it!

I've played piano for years and I'm still googley-eyed when I see him play...and on top of that, knowing he came up with those wonderful works.... he's a fabulous pianist, regardless of whether he believes it!

I think so too, and though i'm no expert on classical music, i think he's underrating himself again..

I just don't like it when he jumps on the piano...

I think so too, and though i'm no expert on classical music, i think he's underrating himself again..

OMG you don't like it either!!! I posted this in some gig thread when I first saw him doing that....for me, it just makes me cringe because IMO musical instruments should be respected. I could never, ever step on a piano....it's just too beautiful to disrespect like that! I'm glad someone else agrees!

I've played the piano for about 15 years. (only classical music) Of course he's a **** pianist if you judge him according to the standards of classical music. But he makes pop music (and Jeez! what music! :wub2:), that's why he shouldn't be so harsh towards himself. :wink2:

I'm sure his voice sounded great singing Schubert's lieder, though. :blush-anim-cl:

OMG you don't like it either!!! I posted this in some gig thread when I first saw him doing that....for me, it just makes me cringe because IMO musical instruments should be respected. I could never, ever step on a piano....it's just too beautiful to disrespect like that! I'm glad someone else agrees!

Exactly!

Not only should instruments be respected but also they are not cheap, so it's a bit harsh to step and jump on something most people could hardly afford, IMO...:boxed:

There's a video where the whole band is on the top of the piano, the last one climbing being Alexander and then the vid ends...Dunno who else got there too...:blink:

But then Mika must have his reasons...:blink:

Exactly!

Not only should instruments be respected but also they are not cheap, so it's a bit harsh to step and jump on something most people could hardly afford, IMO...:boxed:

There's a video where the whole band is on the top of the piano, the last one climbing being Alexander and then the vid ends...Dunno who else got there too...:blink:

But then Mika must have his reasons...:blink:

I agree completely!

Whoa, I haven't seen that video....surprised it didn't break! that's crazy... I know Mika loves to jump but I don't understand why he has to do it on a piano.... I think we should ask him :naughty: