We Are Golden...Young and wanting some! Please take a listen to my story ;)

Hey everybody. Got a second to listen to my story?

As I said on the We Are Golden thread, I have a certain connection to this song, and I know that I will have an even strong one once I hear the song in it's entirity. Here we go..... :blush-anim-cl:

So...... I remember the first time I saw the new vlog about the new music. I remember seeing the gospel choir singing We Are Golden, and crying.

They sounded so beautiful, and the lyrics were so meaningful to me.

"No giving up when youre young and you want some"

I know alot of you have been so kind as to check out my website and my youtube, and to comment, subscribe and give me feedback. All of it is greatly appreciated.

Still, there comes a point where you have a dream SO big, a passion so feirce, and self motivation so strong, that you find the need to sit down and tell yourself: This is what I want. This is whats right for me. I will so anything to reach it.

It is quite difficult when you have such a dream and no idea where to go, or no outlets to take it to.

For the past year or so, I have been writing my own music and covering music with the voice I taught myself to use and the piano I taught myself to play. Im just not sure where to turn anymore. I have been trying to advertise myself by twittering my website, sharing the word in public places by word of mouth, handing out my youtube links to family, friends, and towns members, going to live bands in my area and asking to sing with them before they pack up, performing at my local school and childrens get-togethers, and any other way to get my name exposed.

There has come points where I am not fully supported by those around me or even myself, and what I am doing is looked at as Not In The Norm. I have been criticize for being a fan of Mika, Queen, The Beatles....Other bands that not many people my age are into. Sometimes it gets hard to say I Dont Care and to keep going, especially when you have the feeling that no one knows your name. All I need are outlets, ways to get myself known. I have tried through twitter, email and other ways to get my story to Mika, and I never seem to be able to.

I once had a dream one night after I spent the entire day writing, making demos, and being quite stressed out. I fell asleep late, and kept hearing the lyrics to We Are Golden in my head. I heard the ones that we know so far, and the rest only they were very cloudy. However, I just KNEW that they were important to mys situation, and would affect me in a positive way.

All I want to do is make music. For the rest of my life, I want to wake up and be able to say that I did this for myself, I got here as the result of my own hard work, and I get to do this for the rest of my life.

A few months ago I was in a state where I didnt think that I was goign to get anywhere with my music. The new vlogs came out, and I heard Mika telling me this.

"No giving up when youre young and you want some"

I thought, he did it. He was young and he got to where he is today. So I shouldnt give up either.

SOOOOOOO I feel that when We Are Golden comes out, it will really mean alot to me and other young people who have a passion for something or a dream. I know for a fact that the first time I hear this song I will cry. I cried when I heard the one line in the vlog, and I know FOR A FACT that this song is going to change the way I look at my life quite a bit.

I know just from hearing this line that I need to put behind me all the....

Unanswered phone calls from agents

The fallen-through plans with could-be producers

The incidents that prevented me from getting to that small, garage studio owned by a friend

The negative comments on youtube

The people who dont think music is a good path to take in life

My peers who dont understand what it means to have a passion

And everything else.

So please, when you hear this song, keep in mind all the young people in the world with a strong dream and no idea where to go next.

And to all of you like me, whether it be with music, fashion, art, medicine, ANYTHING.....remember that is we want it enough and work hard enough, we will get there. REMEMBER that there should be no giving up when youre young and you want some. ;)

thanks for listening everybody, it is greatly appreciated. I just really felt like I needed somewhere to share my story, and Id love to hear what you have to say ;)

peace,love,music...

-sAmMy ;D

http://www.youtube.com/willsing4fun

http://www.unsigned.com/sammyraemusic

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sammy, that was really nice to read. It's brilliant that you have a passion for something and you feel so strongly about what you want to do. I love your music from what I've seen on youtube and your website (Happy July is my favourite :teehee: and I adore your cover of 'Worried about Ray' by the Hoosiers)

My dad always told me that it's all about being in the right place at the right time. He told me that you could be the greatest musician in the world, but nobody's gunna know unless you know someone. I think he might be right...

You need to keep pushing at it like Mika did. You need to keep going and not give up (like you [and Mika] said) I wish you all the best, because I know you're a great musician :huglove:

Edited by alice.loves.mika

Sammy, that was really nice to read. It's brilliant that you have a passion for something and you feel so strongly about what you want to do. I love your music from what I've seen on youtube and your website (Happy July is my favourite :teehee: and I adore your cover of 'Worried about Ray' by the Hoosiers)

My dad always told me that it's all about being in the right place at the right time. I think he might me right...

yeah is very nice :wub2:

Thank you so much for your post. It has encouraged me so much. Whenever I tell people that I'm majoring in music they always ask me what I'm going to do with that after I graduate and I tell them that I'm not entirely sure. This makes me think that maybe I should find something different to do. But you've definitely encouraged me to follow my dreams! Thank you so much!

By the way, I love your music and covers! I really like "Happy July" I've listened to it three times in row now:teehee:

Hello Sammy! :bye:

I enjoyed reading your story, I wish you the best in your passion. I just listened to Happy July, its fantastic! I could never write anything like that, lyrics or piano. You definitely have talent, that's for sure. And if you don't get somewhere someday, well those are some idiotic music agents :wink2:

Good Luck! I will be rooting for you all the way. I believe in ya! :P

My dad always told me that it's all about being in the right place at the right time. He told me that you could be the greatest musician in the world, but nobody's gunna know unless you know someone. I think he might be right...

You need to keep pushing at it like Mika did. You need to keep going and not give up (like you [and Mika] said) I wish you all the best, because I know you're a great musician :huglove:

Oh Sammy!:wub2:

I choose to quote Alice because she said all the things I wanted to say!

Never give up, your day will come, and I love your music, but you already know that!:thumb_yello:

Oh Sammy!:wub2:

I choose to quote Alice because she said all the things I wanted to say!

Never give up, your day will come, and I love your music, but you already know that!:thumb_yello:

Thanks so much everybody.

Im so glad youve been to my channel. Happy July seems to be the favorite ;) Hehe

Im so glad you guys understand where Im coming from.

I ALSO have always wanted to major in music, SOMETHING all the music lines,

But A. I dont know theory. I taught myself.

and B. So many people think its so difficult to get a career in music.

But thanks for replying everybody :wub2:

Sammy, you are very lucky. You love music and you have a beautiful voice and has long as you're doing what makes you happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say. I love music more than aything else, I think music and dream music. Unfortunately, I don't have the talent you have, and am unable to express my love for music and it makes me sad everyday.

but YOU can. and you should never ever give up on it if it's what you really want.

Right now, I'm struggling to become an actress. My uncle is in the movie business but it's still very hard. My parents don't have any faith in me. They think I'm not pretty enough or talented enough and the chances of me every making it are slim to none. It's hard sometimes to work for something this difficult and to face failure, without the emotional support of your friends and family.

But I know that if I don't try, if I give up on my dream, I will be miserable for the rest of my life. And I can't do that to myself.

Pursue whatever makes you happy even if you're doing it alone!! You can't live your life wishing you were doing something else, it's just not worth it.

Good Luck Sammy!! You're a very talented girl and as long as you're always following your own path, you'll be fine!! :thumb_yello:

p.s. I can't wait for We Are Golden to come out either. :wink2:

Just thought you should know...the lyrics are "Don't give it up when you're young and you want some" :teehee:

And I understand how you feel, Sammy. I have the same dream, though I don't like to talk about it :naughty:

Just be patient, and in time I'm sure your dreams will come true :wink2:

Sammy- You must hear that you have an amazing talent! You will get to your dreams, you're too wonderful not to. Regina's Ne Me Quitte Pas is a hard song song too, great job!

<3 Heather

btw, I noticed that I have the same shirt from Delia's that you wore in your I'm Yours youtube video!

Edited by forevermika

I know just from hearing this line that I need to put behind me all the....

Unanswered phone calls from agents

The fallen-through plans with could-be producers

The incidents that prevented me from getting to that small, garage studio owned by a friend

The negative comments on youtube

The people who dont think music is a good path to take in life

My peers who dont understand what it means to have a passion

And everything else.

Good for you to be able to put all of this behind you. If anyone in the world should be able to get as little as a few hours in a recording studio it's you. You've got such a gift where you can just sit down and write a song, and it's really such a pity--all the people that have managed to do really well in the music business with much less talent then you have.

All I can say is, I'm really glad you're not giving up. It's selfish, but I enjoy your music so much (my Sammy Rae playlist with 20 songs :naughty:) and I would give anything to have you keep writing. It's so great that you're keeping a smile after all of this. I'm glad that you enjoy what you do, and I hope you'll continue to do it, no matter if it's your career or your hobby.

And seriously, come to Austin. I will get you in a recording studio. Cross my heart.

xx kira :wub2:

:tears:

I have a dream too, Sammy! I want to make movies/videos. I want to become a film-director.

The thing is that I live in a small eastern-european country not very well-seen from others and I really want to escape from here in 2 years, after finishing high-school and go to UK and try to acomplish my dream.

I want this SOOOOOO BAD! And I know it will come true, but in the meanwhile I have to go through so many things that affect me more or less, but I have to, so what can I possibly do about it.

It's hard, because people nowadays either have shallow dreams or strong dreams, but we are too little in comparison to the others.

Let's keep dreaming and IT WILL COME TRUE! I'm sure about that! :huglove:

We WILL BE GOLDEN ONE DAY!

Bianca

xx

I have a dream too, Sammy! I want to make movies/videos. I want to become a film-director.

The thing is that I live in a small eastern-european country not very well-seen from others and I really want to escape from here in 2 years, after finishing high-school and go to UK and try to acomplish my dream.

I want this SOOOOOO BAD! And I know it will come true, but in the meanwhile I have to go through so many things that affect me more or less, but I have to, so what can I possibly do about it.

It's hard, because people nowadays either have shallow dreams or strong dreams, but we are too little in comparison to the others.

Bianca

xx

GOOD FOR YOU! Im so glad you have such a strong desire like that.

Thats why I decided to put up this thread, so people could share their stories like that.

Good luck to you. We ARE golden. we can get there ;)

-sAmMy ;D

Hey Sammy,

I've just gone through your youtube site and I have to say you're an excellent songwriter :thumb_yello: I can see the passion you have for your talent and I can imagine how your talent will grow even more in years to come... it's great that you have this passion, faith and dream. I hope you'll keep on working... there's always room for improvements no matter how brilliant you are. Continue writing, that is definitely your forte :wink2: Keep the faith... there have been so many talents that have discovered on youtube these days.. so maybe just maybe one day someone will discover you too. One more thing, stay original :thumb_yello:

Thank you so much for your post. It has encouraged me so much. Whenever I tell people that I'm majoring in music they always ask me what I'm going to do with that after I graduate and I tell them that I'm not entirely sure. This makes me think that maybe I should find something different to do. But you've definitely encouraged me to follow my dreams! Thank you so much!

By the way, I love your music and covers! I really like "Happy July" I've listened to it three times in row now:teehee:

I feel you! There is still a whole path ahead of us we have to discover and dreams that have to come true. We can do it!:wub2:

Sammy, you are very lucky. You love music and you have a beautiful voice and has long as you're doing what makes you happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else has to say. I love music more than aything else, I think music and dream music. Unfortunately, I don't have the talent you have, and am unable to express my love for music and it makes me sad everyday.

but YOU can. and you should never ever give up on it if it's what you really want.

Right now, I'm struggling to become an actress. My uncle is in the movie business but it's still very hard. My parents don't have any faith in me. They think I'm not pretty enough or talented enough and the chances of me every making it are slim to none. It's hard sometimes to work for something this difficult and to face failure, without the emotional support of your friends and family.

But I know that if I don't try, if I give up on my dream, I will be miserable for the rest of my life. And I can't do that to myself.

Pursue whatever makes you happy even if you're doing it alone!! You can't live your life wishing you were doing something else, it's just not worth it.

Good Luck Sammy!! You're a very talented girl and as long as you're always following your own path, you'll be fine!! :thumb_yello:

p.s. I can't wait for We Are Golden to come out either. :wink2:

Bianca

xx

I hope all of you keep the faith too!! I hope the best for you girls.. :blush-anim-cl:

Sammy, just want to let you know you are fantastic.

I've been following your stuff through April and I want you to know that your songs have made me smile, cry, and sing.

It makes me happy seeing your vids because, personally, I am nearly sixteen and don't have much to show for it. My family have basically let me get away with everything, however, never taken my interests seriously. I now have a hard time going it alone. No one has ever taken an interest in my singing, and my voice comes out so strangely on my camera i've cried to sleep about it because I know i don't sound like that. I have no opportunity at school for anything music related. I don't know where my life is headed or if I can make my countless daydreams reality. At my school about everyone knows 2 or more languages and can play some instrument. I get really jealous with that pressure that I've never had either opportunity and I try to swallow it down and forget it. I'm trying, but its hard to focus alone. I don't know how it will go. Alot of its my fault.

But when I watch your songs its magic. And I'm so happy for you. Please, please, NEVER stop. Hard work pays off. You're getting alot of experience, and it sounds like you're not afraid to sing in public, that's a big plus. And you already have a fanbase. ( ; I would help you in any possible if you ever need it and I could help.

Love,

Lucy♥

Sammy, everyone's replies are as telling as your own post....that is that Mika attracts very creative fans. I've lost count of the times I read posts about people on here being inspired to do things they never thought possible.

I'll tell you my story at the end of my post but I find that as soon as I utter the words "Mika inspired me to change my life" I know I sound like a crazy!! However, it is the truth and it dumfounds me every day!

The point is...he has done something to us all and if his music has such a profound effect on you that it pushes you even harder and further then it is amazing.

I, like everyone else, have watched your videos with my mouth open in awe...I want to do what you do and feel so far behind that I have to fight the urge to not bother. However, once inspired by Mika...we can never go back so as unlikely as it is that I'll ever achieve anything that I desire...I now have to strive for it each and every day.

Keep going........no matter what. xx

So, you're young and you want some??? Hmmmm....try being old and just waking up to the fact that you, too want some!!!

The cruelest thing is that Mika wasn't around to inspire me when I was young!!

I always sang in secret in my bedroom when I was really young (10 onwards) and continued to do so throughout my life but was always too shy/nervous to let anyone hear me. I had a pretty rubbish home life and no support with anything in my life so I drifted through it all just existing each day. I got a boring job and bought my own house as I thought it was the only way to feel any sort of security in the world. Along the way I had a nervous breakdown, lots of therapy, had ME for nearly 2 years then discovered that I had a massive abdominal tumour a few years ago and two years ago on Tuesday I had risky surgery to remove it. If I hadn't had Mika in my life by that time I seriously don't think I would have surved the surgery....he made me feel like I could conquer it!

So, with all of the bad stuff behind me and Mika's inspiration I started my long recovery during the summer of 2007. During that time I woke up one day and literally wrote a song! I'd never even written so much as a poem before but I just felt compelled to write...and I haven't stopped! I started having piano lessons in June last year and I'm sitting my Grade 3 exam on 31 July. I'm told that usually it take a year to get ready for each Grade....and I got a merit in my Grade 1 less than 4 months ago!! My teacher can't believe it and although I'm really hard on myself and still feel like I'll never have the talent of folk like you I can see that my acheivement is massive. Coincidence?? After a lifetime of under acheiving and apathy...what's changed??? Yup, Mika!!

I've got my sights set on getting to grade 8 which my teacher tells me I have the ability to do (even though it seems like an impossible goal) and I've been offered a place at my local university to do a degree in music performance if I get the Grade 8.....something I can't actually imagine at my age but it's like a shiny golden carrot....urging me on!! LOL.

Like some one else mentioned...if I say to people around me that I'm considering going to uni at my age but not to do something conservative and sensible but to learn how to be a musician they all seem bemused and want to know what I think I'm actually going to do with it!!

So there you go.....I'm not giving up now that I'm old and I want some!!!!

Keep us all informed of how you're doing and we'll all keep watching and enjoying your music.

Liz xxx

I always sang in secret in my bedroom when I was really young (10 onwards) and continued to do so throughout my life but was always too shy/nervous to let anyone hear me.

YES! I'm not the only one :fangurl:

Your story is really inspiring. Thanks :wub2: