WE ARE GOLDEN - Lyrics Discussion

Suzy

In this acoustic version from German Radio Mika sings a new verse at the beginning :fangurl:

do u guys understand everything he's saying?

mika - we are golden. unplugged in den bayern3 studios... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-isazq0Wcc

mp3 http://www.sendspace.com/file/gqww7t

Edited mp3, clearer and without the intro (Thanks Nono!) http://www.sendspace.com/file/yiqdv1

OMG: this is such a beautiful version!:wub2: Just heard it for the first time, it is gorgeous!!:mf_lustslow:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this bit is nailed now:

I'm still wonderin' why

I ever let the world,

let it bleed me dry".

:biggrin2:

On the first post we still have HEAVEN let the world...

Sorry...fixed now. :teehee:

If you're a mod and you notice something I've neglected to update - go ahead and change it if you can. :thumb_yello:

In this acoustic version from German Radio Mika sings a new verse at the beginning :fangurl:

mika - we are golden. unplugged in den bayern3 studios... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-isazq0Wcc

Edited mp3, clearer and without the intro (Thanks Nono!) http://www.sendspace.com/file/yiqdv1

Oh my god, Mari, good find!!! :wub2:

Let's see (I may be wrong, but I'll have a go):

"Running, running around

Sick of acting the clown

Leaves me nothing to do

But have to think of you

So much left to go wrong

Didn't knew I belonged

If I had words for hate

Would I have lived this way?

Oh, I'm sitting alone

And I'm looking for help

Left here on my own

I'm gonna hurt myself

Many years have gone by

I'm still wonderin' why

I ever let the world,

let it bleed me dry".

This is just... fantastic. Wow, I'm speechless. :blush-anim-cl:

wow, with this verse you can get all the suffering... so sad... :tears:

thank you girls!!!! :flowers2::wub2:

Oh my god, Mari, good find!!! :wub2:

Let's see (I may be wrong, but I'll have a go):

"Running, running around

Sick of acting the clown

Leaves me nothing to do

But have to think of you

So much left to go wrong

Didn't knew I belonged

If I had words for hate

Would I have lived this way?

Oh, I'm sitting alone

And I'm looking for help

Left here on my own

I'm gonna hurt myself

Many years have gone by

I'm still wonderin' why

I ever let the world,

let it bleed me dry".

This is just... fantastic. Wow, I'm speechless. :blush-anim-cl:

It is so fantastic!

It makes the song so much.... so much... so much more...

its his voice- simply him.... I love it... :wub2:

and that intro...

wow...

I love this! Thanks for the link, and also thanks to Lollipop Monkey for the lyrics, they're fantastic. :thumb_yello:

Whenever I hear this, I feel like it's telling two stories. You know, the misunderstood teens, but the parents too. After

Oh, I'm sitting alone

And I'm looking for help

Left here on my own

I'm gonna hurt myself

Many years have gone by

I'm still wonderin' why

I ever let the world,

let it bleed me dry".

There's the whispered "We are not what you think we are" bit, and I feel like that's the parents swooping in, letting the teens know that they're misunderstood too. And then the final "we are golden"s and choruses is everyone singing together, reunited!

Yes. I had to share my two cents. Hope that's okay.

I love this! Thanks for the link, and also thanks to Lollipop Monkey for the lyrics, they're fantastic. :thumb_yello:

Whenever I hear this, I feel like it's telling two stories. You know, the misunderstood teens, but the parents too. After

Oh, I'm sitting alone

And I'm looking for help

Left here on my own

I'm gonna hurt myself

Many years have gone by

I'm still wonderin' why

I ever let the world,

let it bleed me dry".

There's the whispered "We are not what you think we are" bit, and I feel like that's the parents swooping in, letting the teens know that they're misunderstood too. And then the final "we are golden"s and choruses is everyone singing together, reunited!

Yes. I had to share my two cents. Hope that's okay.

When I first heard it I interpreted as a declaration of independence from a teen struggling with an evolving vision of self to judgemental parents. After hearing Mika talk about it, I get the sense he meant it from the perspective of his teenage self to those at school who were cruel to him.

That said, I love that regardless of his initial inspiration, the broader message is basically "screw you, those who judge me, you don't know me, I am in fact golden."

And I think it's intriguing that you're interpreting the whispered voices as being from the "other side" of the struggle, as though they're also saying "hey look, I'm golden too, we just misunderstand each other."

In fact, I quite love that interpretation. :wub2:

... to me it was never about particular groups of people like parents or peers at school but more about the outside world in general - how prejudiced they were towards him and how he could never conform and play by their rules.

I think you can only fall into such deep depression / feel so isolated if you think the whole world is against you. :tears:

He does seem to have recovered:wink2: but when he is talking about his past experience you can still feel how deeply he was hurt. :emot-sad:

When I first heard it I interpreted as a declaration of independence from a teen struggling with an evolving vision of self to judgemental parents. After hearing Mika talk about it, I get the sense he meant it from the perspective of his teenage self to those at school who were cruel to him.

That said, I love that regardless of his initial inspiration, the broader message is basically "screw you, those who judge me, you don't know me, I am in fact golden."

And I think it's intriguing that you're interpreting the whispered voices as being from the "other side" of the struggle, as though they're also saying "hey look, I'm golden too, we just misunderstand each other."

In fact, I quite love that interpretation. :wub2:

I know that it follows the same lines for me, except that my parents and I never really bond over anything. Or have deep discussions.

But thanks! I'm flattered. :blush-anim-cl:

... to me it was never about particular groups of people like parents or peers at school but more about the outside world in general - how prejudiced they were towards him and how he could never conform and play by their rules.

I think you can only fall into such deep depression / feel so isolated if you think the whole world is against you. :tears:

He does seem to have recovered:wink2: but when he is talking about his past experience you can still feel how deeply he was hurt. :emot-sad:

I don't think many people fully recover from their hard times. There's always a piece of you that's holding onto the past and harbouring those feelings. (At least, for me.)

I don't think many people fully recover from their hard times. There's always a piece of you that's holding onto the past and harbouring those feelings. (At least, for me.)

For me, too. :wink2: And everyone has different ways of coping with things. Mika's way is different from mine, to our greatest pleasure:teehee::wub2:

I got bored of it. I shouldn't have listened to it 300 times. :aah:

I'm sure it will come back to me in a few weeks. :naughty:

Same, but I think that was because of this damn We Are Golden competition, I don't even want to try and figure out how many times I've had to listen to it :aah:

Same, but I think that was because of this damn We Are Golden competition, I don't even want to try and figure out how many times I've had to listen to it :aah:

LOL also me. and the best part? I didnt even submit the video that required the most editing :teehee:

I got bored of it. I shouldn't have listened to it 300 times. :aah:

I'm sure it will come back to me in a few weeks. :naughty:

i listened to it 572 times according to my ipod and i dont wanna know how many times i listened to it during editing.. you can probably tack on another few hundred :doh:

Has anyone watched the making of we are golden on youtube..

For those that havent, here you go::wink2:

btw, is that mika's house at the beginning? looks like it with all the toys on the shelves:blink:

Enjoy:roftl:

yeah it is lol

I think of it more like wild high school/college kids. Maybe because I am one, but you know "running around like clowns on purpose," "young and wanting some," not "giving a damn" about anything, trying to find happiness and love but maybe being a little too crazy! and then when people look at you like, "wow look at that crazy idiot dancing around," it's like.... shut up. We're Golden.

I agree with that. :)