Of course, I suppose this is your opinion. :confused:

Because I still don't find it sexy at all. I think he's starved himself to acquire the typical teenage look: a too skinny boy, clumsy, who's probably grown too fast and who feels ugly, underestimated. I work with teenagers: with few exceptions, boys are normally ugly and not sexy at all, because they're changing fast. This is normal in Italy, maybe less normal in northern Europe, where teenagers are often beautiful. There can't be anything sexy for me in a teenager dancing freely in his bedroom.

And I still don't find it camp. (Oh why on earth did you use that word in the Observer interview, Sire? :sneaky2:) You say it's self affirming. Do you mean that Mika is himself in the video? I think MIKA is a persona, a character. I think MIKA is a very intelligent artist, who would never use a video to give a message only concerning Mika. Because this is what he's always stated he's been doing. His music is art and I think he doesn't want to use it to say something about himself in such an easy way. There are artists who see art as autobiography, but so far Mika has been denying doing that.

Art is creating something that will always tell people something interesting, because they can relate to that, because they can make it their own experience, because they can read it in a thousand different ways.

Mica is definitely playing a part in the vid, possibly the part of the unprepossessing adolescent he was 8-10 years ago but the character might be any male teenager. Or female one for that matter :wink2: .

The only statement I can see there is that he was an adolescent once. Hardly likely to get him the Pulitzer price for journalism :no: ...

Ciao,

Id3

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright I recovered from the shock. :lmfao: I could only watch it through my fingers the first time round. And I thought it was very embarrassing. On top of everything the undies really looked like diapers at first.

Now having seen it on youtube in better quality, I must say it keeps growing on me. Not that I think of the moves and the outfit as less ridiculous now. But I can see His Royal Curliness :king: has finally found himself and is at ease and freed from any restrictions due to what people might think or say.

I don't think this will gain him the mainstream following he didn't get so far. For that it's too much of a statement.

Ohh and I simply love the fact that there are fan gifts involved. Love it. I would have loved to inspect the set for all those crazy toys we only see for a split second. :wub2:

agree!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=61222578

maybe mana's slow motion can help?:wink2:

I've heard a couple of references to irony in this thread and I'm wondering what people mean specifically because the usage in Canada is different.

I mean unless people are saying that Mika never comes across as camp or that he's normally incredibly cool or composed or vain or whatever, then I don't see how this is ironic?

But like I said maybe I'm misunderstanding the use of the word because Canadians don't generally use "irony" to describe humour.

On the irony topic, I love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMQ8S2uHTlo

you are right and we said it many times, everyone's opinion's just as good, esp. as mika didn't (an I believe he never -rightly-will ) give an official interpretation to the video.

he explained what the song's about officially and it is a good loud sod off to theose who have bullied him in his teens (yes, he's over thin, also told in person in milano last week: not sure he's smt to do with his video, but I'm not him, so perhaps it has smt to do. it's happened before in past, anyway).

nevertheless, we all apply to this video (as to everything else in the world) how personal pov and expectations and there's NOTHING wrong with that. no point in questioning what one's opinions and expetcations are, cause one cannot change them. they are called personal for a reason.

what stands out for you is the quoting of coraline for ex., the overly thin body structure and so on.

to me and others, it's not. to us the campiness of the video and the self affirmative attitude is what stands out. it's different pov and it's all good. :thumb_yello:

I NEVER said he's sexy in this video to me: contrary to a majorly major majority of people here, I don't have fantasies about him :blink:, though I do find him charming and good looking. :wub2:

I said he played sexy in the video (that's quite undienable, he flirts for fun with camera).

self affirming: affirming his identity, what's been bullied for very hardly, for yrs, that's what I meant. and that's nothing to do with being thin or being teen. :teehee:

and for the artist rather than the man: I LOOOOVE the artist, never been underestimating him in one bit, been following around for yrs in fact, never seen in him a piece of meat, still don't. :blink:

what I celebrate here is the artist's creation, as well as the man's affirmation, that to avoca means a lot, even more if possible.

Because I still don't find it sexy at all. I think he's starved himself to acquire the typical teenage look: a too skinny boy, clumsy, who's probably grown too fast and who feels ugly, underestimated.

And I still don't find it camp. (Oh why on earth did you use that word in the Observer interview, Sire? :sneaky2:) You say it's self affirming. Do you mean that Mika is himself in the video? I think MIKA is a persona, a character. I think MIKA is a very intelligent artist, who would never use a video to give a message only concerning Mika. Because this is what he's always stated he's been doing.

Really? :blink: I would never ever expect that from Mika. :dunno:

I'm quite late to post my opinion but this video is so ****ing genius!!!:mf_lustslow: I just can't stop watching it. Now I've decided that I'll watch it at least once every morning. :roftl:

But I must admit I did not know what to expect from it, especially when Mika said he feared it might be censored (lol). But that is what we all love with Mika : we always expect the unexpected, don't we? :biggrin2:

Again, I am totally in love with this video in which we discover a new Mika!:wub2:

But I fear non-mikafans won't like it ...

Because I still don't find it sexy at all. I think he's starved himself to acquire the typical teenage look: a too skinny boy, clumsy, who's probably grown too fast and who feels ugly, underestimated. I work with teenagers: with few exceptions, boys are normally ugly and not sexy at all, because they're changing fast. This is normal in Italy, maybe less normal in northern Europe, where teenagers are often beautiful. There can't be anything sexy for me in a teenager dancing freely in his bedroom.

And I still don't find it camp. (Oh why on earth did you use that word in the Observer interview, Sire? :sneaky2:) You say it's self affirming. Do you mean that Mika is himself in the video? I think MIKA is a persona, a character. I think MIKA is a very intelligent artist, who would never use a video to give a message only concerning Mika. Because this is what he's always stated he's been doing. His music is art and I think he doesn't want to use it to say something about himself in such an easy way. There are artists who see art as autobiography, but so far Mika has been denying doing that.

Art is creating something that will always tell people something interesting, because they can relate to that, because they can make it their own experience, because they can read it in a thousand different ways.

Ok, anything else is up for discussion, but I really, honestly don't think that anyone can say that he's been starving himself, no matter what Mika said on the radio (which I personally think was just a bit of a joke).

It's a very well known fact in the fitness/nutrition field that, in order to gain muscle, especially if you're naturally lean like Mika, you need to BOTH do resistance training and pump yourself full of protein. And still it's not an easy task.

What's certain is that, if you starve yourself, you will not gain any muscle, and you will actually waste whichever muscle you had already, as when the body is deprived of food it "attacks" musle tissue first (before fat) in order to gain its energy and function.

That is just a simple fact on how the body works, and it proves the point that he didn't starve at all when he was "training" for the vid.

Just experimenting with my new tv card and I *think* I might be able to record it straight onto my laptop (possibly in HD) when it airs on channel 4. It's a teensy bit jumpy at the moment but I've only just installed it so hopefully it's just teething problems. :thumb_yello:

Just experimenting with my new tv card and I *think* I might be able to record it straight onto my laptop (possibly in HD) when it airs on channel 4. It's a teensy bit jumpy at the moment but I've only just installed it so hopefully it's just teething problems. :thumb_yello:

:wub2::wub2::wub2:

Is it possible that the video is just about an adolescent boy dancing to a song he likes over & over & over in the privacy of his bedroom?

90% of us have done that & the other 10% won't cop to it!

He checks himself out in the mirror like we All have done.

Instead of flexing your abdomen & making a muscle pose with your arms do girls stand & check out their figure?

At one point Mika looks like he is singing into a microphone - we have All done that!

As far as losing some weight isn't it more about not wanting to appear jiggling when he dances or have love handles??

Who wouldn't lose a little weight if you knew you were going spend two days in only your underwear??

Irony - I don't see the irony in the vid.

But then again I am Canadian & apparently we don't use:shocked::shocked: irony. Hahaha!

I even read over the definition to make sure I do know what it is.:teehee::teehee:!

We will all have an opinion on what this vid means but is there a chance we are over analyzing it??

I Still Love It!!

I'm with you in this. For me there is not just self-irony and self-affirmation in this, but he is mirroring back all the things that were and are said about him back to us, asking: how can you be so sure? How dare you judge? Many seem to believe that he is coming out with this, but I don't buy it. He sure has mannerisms we point our fingers at and say !GAY! But can I be sure that he doesn't use exactly this against me in the vid when telling me: I'm not what you thing I am! And there are just as many mannerisms shown that are 'straight' like boob-grabbing and some of the posing, and again it screams in my face: I'm not what you think I am!

So the overall message of this vid for me is not about Mika, but about me, my prejudices. It's asking for open-mindedness and meeting other people unbiased, out of respect. And actually, that's the message of the song for me too.

But can I be sure that he doesn't use exactly this against me in the vid when telling me: I'm not what you think I am!

I had not think about that already, but I totally agree with you on this!

Ok, anything else is up for discussion, but I really, honestly don't think that anyone can say that he's been starving himself, no matter what Mika said on the radio (which I personally think was just a bit of a joke).

It's a very well known fact in the fitness/nutrition field that, in order to gain muscle, especially if you're naturally lean like Mika, you need to BOTH do resistance training and pump yourself full of protein. And still it's not an easy task.

What's certain is that, if you starve yourself, you will not gain any muscle, and you will actually waste whichever muscle you had already, as when the body is deprived of food it "attacks" musle tissue first (before fat) in order to gain its energy and function.

That is just a simple fact on how the body works, and it proves the point that he didn't starve at all when he was "training" for the vid.

Didn't he say 'I starved myself' in the BBC interview? :blink:

That's why I used that verb and then I added my own reason why he may have done that.

I don't know what he had been eating before shooting the video. I'm not a friend of his. I think he doesn't even know I was next to him last Friday. :lol3: I can only rely on what he said days ago on the radio. Perhaps he was lying. :dunno:

Ooooh, fantastic!!! :wub2: I can't wait to watch, especially if they are going to be strict (as they say they are) with the filming of the gig. Thanks!!!

Is it possible that the video is just about an adolescent boy dancing to a song he likes over & over & over in the privacy of his bedroom?

90% of us have done that & the other 10% won't cop to it!

He checks himself out in the mirror like we All have done.

Instead of flexing your abdomen & making a muscle pose with your arms do girls stand & check out their figure?

At one point Mika looks like he is singing into a microphone - we have All done that!

As far as losing some weight isn't it more about not wanting to appear jiggling when he dances or have love handles??

Who wouldn't lose a little weight if you knew you were going spend two days in only your underwear??

Irony - I don't see the irony in the vid.

But then again I am Canadian & apparently we don't use:shocked::shocked: irony. Hahaha!

I even read over the definition to make sure I do know what it is.:teehee::teehee:!

We will all have an opinion on what this vid means but is there a chance we are over analyzing it??

I Still Love It!!

Exactly :thumb_yello:, and one CAN lose a bit of weight in a totally safe and healthy way. Which is what I think he has done (if he did indeed lose some fat at the same time that he gained muscle mass) :wink2:

Ohh it's up again, I tried last night but the video was not available back then.

I'll have a look, thanks for slow-motioning, uploading and posting :flowers2:

EDIT: Funny how there is a waxing ad showing up next to the video window :lmfao:

Edited by violet_sky

For what it's worth, IMO, I believe you've made some really valid points.

I couldn't put it any better...:wub2::biggrin2:

Thanks! :huglove: It's always so difficult for me to make myself understood. :blush-anim-cl:

You're welcome:wub2:

I know, I have that a lot.. But don't worry, you express yourself just fine :biggrin2:

I think it's great that he actually doesn't only talk about things that happened to him but he creates a world around them so that people can embrace it because they've felt like that too or been in a similar situation...

And yeah teenage boys around here aren't very cute either:aah: Just the older ones... And still, I don't find it sexy either.. I think it's funny, free and to be honest I'd find it a bit uncomfortable if I saw any of my friends doing that:roftl: Even though I know they do it.:naughty: I think it's great and in a way I can't say that the first thing I think about it is something sexual:dunno: And that doesn't depend on how the person who is dancing around looks like to me.

Sorry this post is so confusing:aah:

Everyone!

I don't know if you know already, but I've just found out so I may be a little slow, but if you go on iTunes you can pre-order the album and listen to 30 seconds of all of the songs :shocked:

I havn't seen anyone else say anything about it but I doupt I'm the first to notice. Should there be a thread about this?

You're welcome:wub2:

I know, I have that a lot.. But don't worry, you express yourself just fine :biggrin2:

I think it's great that he actually doesn't only talk about things that happened to him but he creates a world around them so that people can embrace it because they've felt like that too or been in a similar situation...

And yeah teenage boys around here aren't very cute either:aah: Just the older ones... And still, I don't find it sexy either.. I think it's funny, free and to be honest I'd find it a bit uncomfortable if I saw any of my friends doing that:roftl: Even though I know they do it.:naughty: I think it's great and in a way I can't say that the first thing I think about it is something sexual:dunno: And that doesn't depend on how the person who is dancing around looks like to me.

Sorry this post is so confusing:aah:

It's ok!

I'm glad you agree that teenage boys aren't always cute...sometimes I think I'm a cruel teacher.LOL But I know they're going to bloom later. :wink2: And they can be so sweet and caring! :wub2: Unlike the girls! :sneaky2:

:roftl:

Everyone!

I don't know if you know already, but I've just found out so I may be a little slow, but if you go on iTunes you can pre-order the album and listen to 30 seconds of all of the songs :shocked:

I havn't seen anyone else say anything about it but I doupt I'm the first to notice. Should there be a thread about this?

Thanks for the information! But I actually want the other songs to be a surprise when I have the CD in my hands...

Everyone!

Oh thanks. So maybe someone can tell me what Pick up... sounds like... :das:

Can't do it myself as I won't preorder from iTunes. iTunes sucks. :naughty: