The Official "The Boy Who Knew Too Much ERA" Charts & Sales around the world Thread

Showtunes17

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's singing with a real opera singer :shocked: not one of these wannabe purveyors of anaemic pap masquerading as classical that crop up on that show :mf_rosetinted: So it could be fantastic :biggrin2: or cringeworthy :aah:

I don't know why, but whenever I think of Mika singing...y'know, proper Opera, I can't help but think of this dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88k4i6pF1A

Don't ask me why.

You can add smilies to your favourites :shocked:

god, im so slow :naughty:

I didn't know either, and I've been here nearly 3 years! :lmfao:

So do I. It went to number 72 in the UK charts. Fail :aah:

I wish it was a hit though (obviously), I think it's a bloody good catchy song.

I wonder how the operatic Rain will turn out :naughty:

Yeah, I honestly thought it'd do really well, especially here and in the UK.

You can add smilies to your favourites :shocked:

god, im so slow :naughty:

You can add smilies to your favs?:shocked:Since when is that?

I don't know why, but whenever I think of Mika singing...y'know, proper Opera, I can't help but think of this dude: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O88k4i6pF1A

very Mika-ish :mf_rosetinted:

:boxed:

sorry to disagree but this guy's performance was not proper opera at all. He was struggling.

I'd say that Nessun Dorma sung an octave higher by definition is unenjoyable but if I have to listen to it, I'd rather choose this performace from my country - same show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WttCCBNHR0I

..otherwise this Welsh bloke was cool but I don't think he has a clear idea of what he wants to do with his life yet.

rain entered the german charts at no. 56! :biggrin2:

http://www.mtv.de/charts/germany

not really a top chart position, but definitely better than nothing, especially seeing that there's no promo for that single whatsoever - not even much radioplay, as probably everyone got confused by the release date being postponed twice.

i'm happy to see mika in the german charts. :wub2:

i feel i need to quote this so people don't miss it :roftl:

:sad: I was trying to ignore it :sneaky2:

You won't get opera singers on talent shows. Opera singers sing whole operas, not excerpts, and they have to sing, act and interpret the role. And they do not change the key to fit their voce :no:

And they do not use artificial amplification :sneaky2:

It upsets me when they say the likes of Kathryn Jenkins and Russel Watson are opera singers. They simply aren't. They have never sung a whole one. I'm not saying they are "bad " singers - but they are a different genre - a pop/classical/easy listening hybrid - and what they do simply isn't what real opera singers do.

Sorry - rant over :blush-anim-cl:

edit:

This is real opera - check out Cyndia Seydon at 15 secs - I saw her do this live :shocked:

Edited by Naectegale

just found this article about the MIDEM: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/PIRACY-RISES-24-2010 - it's about the music industry and piracy, and they mention that mika's manager will be (meanwhile: was) at the MIDEM, together with other managers, "to talk about how they are gradually taking on the former role of record labels by helping guide their artists' careers and manage their rights." :wink2:

just found this article about the MIDEM: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/PIRACY-RISES-24-2010 - it's about the music industry and piracy, and they mention that mika's manager will be (meanwhile: was) at the MIDEM, together with other managers, "to talk about how they are gradually taking on the former role of record labels by helping guide their artists' careers and manage their rights." :wink2:

Interesting article :thumb_yello:

Well I thought of Monserrat Caballe and Freddie Mercury

And she was a proper opera singer in the she usually did whole operas. As did the three tenors and people like Bryn Terfel- all of whom also performed and made records of individual songs- so I don't consider seeing one on a talent show impossible- either as a star turn or a wannabee.

(I must admit when I saw Suzie's post about the Welsh guy, I was afraid she'd committed the unforgivable sin of insulting Bryn Terfel)

(I must admit when I saw Suzie's post about the Welsh guy, I was afraid she'd committed the unforgivable sin of insulting Bryn Terfel)

I simply don't consider him talented based on what I heard :dunno:

He is not reading this, so I haven't insulted him. I don't expect people to agree with me. That was simply my opinion. :wink2:

EDIT:

Note: I was referring to the waiter bloke while SoSi thought I was talking about Bryn Terfel.. :teehee:

You won't get opera singers on talent shows. Opera singers sing whole operas, not excerpts, and they have to sing, act and interpret the role. And they do not change the key to fit their voce :no:

And they do not use artificial amplification :sneaky2:

It upsets me when they say the likes of Kathryn Jenkins and Russel Watson are opera singers. They simply aren't. They have never sung a whole one. I'm not saying they are "bad " singers - but they are a different genre - a pop/classical/easy listening hybrid - and what they do simply isn't what real opera singers do.

Actually, I don't mind self-taught singers singing opera on talent shows. Paul Potts was ok. These talent shows are obviously not for the opera loving public but if these contestants make some people listen to full operas or more classical music they have already something positive...:thumb_yello:

Edited by suzie

Yes, this is more or less what I am expecting with Rain.

The Monserrat Caballe and Freddie Mercury project was not opera, however, and it was written by Freddie.

It can be called a crossover style and sounded much more 'opera' / or authentic than the cheesy crossover songs that followed it from the 90s onwards (I am thinking about songs like 'Time To Say Goodbye' . brrrr.. :cool:)

And she was a proper opera singer in the she usually did whole operas. As did the three tenors and people like Bryn Terfel- all of whom also performed and made records of individual songs- so I don't consider seeing one on a talent show impossible- either as a star turn or a wannabee.

yep - Montserrat and Bryn are proper opera singers, who sometimes cross over into more popular stuff :biggrin2:

(I really like Barcelona, but not the rest of the album they did together.) Leslie Garret is another one.

But you are not an opera star unless you've sung a whole opera - that's my point. Just warbling Nessun Dorma into a microphone doesn't count. :sneaky2:

...and just one more point to add...

I do not think that anyone who can sing a 'full opera' is talented 'by definition'.

I have already seen a performance where the voice of one of the singers was truely annoying, but I am not going into details on that.

I really looking forward to Rain but I do not expect it to be operatic at all just because the other part of the duet will be an opera singer. We'll see.

can anyone recommend some good performances from that UK show (Pop Stars Go Opera or whatever it is called ) so that we can have an idea and later compare?