Imogen Heap talks a bit about "By The Time"

Miro

This is the link to the whole interview http://www.clickmusic.com/articles/11922/Interview-Imogen-Heap.html

Here's the bit about Mika..

Imogen Heap has been busy writing, recording and producing her third solo album, and after 40 video blogs documenting the progress, 'Ellipse' is finally complete. We sat down with Imogen to discuss her collaboration on Mika's new album, her innovative Twestival charitable donation of 'The Song That Never Was' and her love for the Japanese language.

I heard that you collaborated with Mika. Do you know if your track is going to be on his album?

It definitely is, yes, it is number nine. It's called 'By The Time'.

How did that come about and how did that collaborative process work?

Well, we met at the Ivors (Ivor Novello Awards). He won an award for the Best Songwriter of the Year. And his publisher was my publisher when I was, from like, 17 to 25 or something, and I saw him at the Ivors and he was like "oh hi, I'm with Mika, he's up for an award and he loves what you do, you should meet him." So I met him and he was really cute and we went off and had a drink with everyone else after the awards, and he said we should do some writing together. So he came round literally a couple of days later and we just worked on some stuff at home, and on the piano just wrote the basics of an idea, and went to the studio and put some vocal ideas down. We really did it in a couple of days. Then he had to go off and tour and do the rest of his record and stuff and bits and bobs. So, I spent a couple of evenings on the music and kinda left it at that. Then when they were piecing the album together I got the call saying "can we have the song", and I said "no no, it's not finished yet, I haven't done anything to it" and they were like "no, no, no, we like it as it is." So it is basically the demo that I did at like seven in the morning, and that's what went on the record.

Was that recorded in your new studio in your childhood home?

Yeah, yes it was.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

T4P:thumb_yello:

Love the fact she got caught on the hop, by not having it finished. How many times has that happened to us all.:naughty:

I expect Greg did a corking job on the production, the bit we've heard sounds beautiful.

Thanks for posting this, Miro:thumb_yello:

...Demo version? :blink:

well, I don't like when something is overproduced, and the 30secs I heard from it so far reassure me this should be ok..:wink2:

same here :wink2:

I expect Greg did a corking job on the production, the bit we've heard sounds beautiful.

Yes their voices harmonize together so perfectly. It's really lovely.

The "don't wake up" repeat reminds me of "you don't care a bit" at the end of her Hide and Seek.

Demo demo demo :hypo:

Demo! :mf_lustslow:

I think it's great to have a pure sounding song, it adds variety. We've got WAG with all the choirs, BIOTG with the syncapation sound to it. I love what I've heard on BTT up to now! can't wait to hear the rest, it's just so beautiful.