Alright, now that I've gushed about it a bit and listened to it multiple times I'm gonna post my interpretation :biggrin2:

--------------------

Ok, so, I am gonna guess that the One Foot Boy is his conscience (BTW, when I say 'his' I don't necessarily mean Mika, I mean the story teller.)

I'll say nothing on your microphone

Till you swear to take me home

Makes me think something like "I won't have sex with you until I'm married" which, sticking with the teenage theme of the album, makes a bit of sense cause I think a lot of teens are unsure whether to wait or go for it.

And, well, for those of you who know me you'll know what I mean when I say I am kinda thinking of 'microphone' with two meanings :teehee:

(AGAIN: I'm not implying anything about Mika himself!)

There’s a one foot boy eleven stone

He's sitting on my shoulder

Makes me think conscience because your conscience is usually pretty strong and heavy and one usually tends to battle with it.

I’m too scared to look away,

Works too because he's afraid to go against his better judgement.

He comes here almost everyday

And everyday I push him off and tell him boy we’re over

And this is like him wanting to do something insane and prolly not 'good' or 'right' or whatever word you want to use, as many teenagers do. As I know I want to do a lot of the time.

I think

MY OH MY

I think my mind is gone

I'm left here wondering

Was I crazy all along?

What do I do?

Nothing left but pray

Gonna shoot somebody

Help me drive this craziness away

I’m happy on my own

is pretty much the insanity of adolescence because of the insane feelings and confusion and the plain hell just about everyone goes through. but I also think it might be about guilt (which ties in with the conscience). Like maybe he did the crazy thing he wanted to do but now he's questioning himself for doing it?

What’s a matter

with going places?

Take that gross look off your faces

Empty loving makes me seasick

What you’re here for, I don’t need it

Personally I think that's pretty straight foward. "Don't judge me, I'll do what I want, don't put me down, etc."

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT! :naughty:

Alright, yes, I'm gonna go in this direction simply because I see it.

If everyone decided Mika needs an "I'm gay" song I think this is very much it.

His use of the word "faces" instead of just face leads to different personalities. When you're young and unsure you'll often keep it to yourself. One personal life and one public life.

One Foot Boy is again guilt or confusion. unsure as to whether or not there's something wrong with him.

Empty loving makes me seasick

Pretending to like women when he doesn't.

I’m too scared to look away,

He comes here almost everyday

And everyday I push him off and tell him boy we’re over

Afraid to be open about it and daily trying to build up the courage to be yourself to everyone.

I think my mind is gone

I'm left here wondering

Was I crazy all along?

What do I do?

Unsure about what to do about his hidden feelings. Even doubting himself.

Nothing left but pray

The power religion plays in the fear of being gay.

Say you like me,

But not with changes?

Like me for who I am!

Shut up and forget it

These are my faces

This is who I am, get over it.

All these colours

That surround me

All these places

Only drown me

Colours makes me think rainbow. You know what I mean.

I'll say nothing on your microphone

Well, I already said what I had to say about that :naughty:

And of course:

Happy on my own

I'm happy being myself

So, wadda ya think? Personally I prefer my second interpretation, but they're both rather closly related. :mf_rosetinted:

This makes sense, good interpretation, and regarding the 2nd one, he is talking about "One Foot BOY", and well, MIKA is a BOY

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think "foot" as a unit of measure equalling twelve inches. :teehee::roftl:

(My heavens, I may need to infract myself for that one). :naughty:

OMG!!! so he is talking about his "boy" ??? :shocked::teehee::aah: LOL

sorry for bringing this back up :teehee:

I don't know if anybody has given this interpretation yet, cuz this thread is long and I'm too lazy to read through the whole thing! lol :thumb_yello:

but, I think the song is about a guy who is only after him for sex and nothing more. so, he's saying to the guy "we're over" and that he's "happy on his own" until he can find somebody who appreciates him for more than that.

:)

Ok, that's an interesting one :teehee:

That's second for me. Story of my life, I tell you! :naughty:

I wonder what Mika would explain OFB as if we were to probe his mind.. What was his inspiration?

I would tell you but then Guy would send me to the Naughty Corner and that's not a cozy place to spend the night...:mf_rosetinted:

Yeah "empty loving makes me seasick" strikes me as "I don't enjoy having sex without loving the person..."

"I don't enjoy having sex without loving the person...WHENEVER I'M OUT SAILING":mf_rosetinted:

And why is that???:mf_rosetinted:

true be told. the story's old (and the song is wrong but hey, such is), my neighbours are SOOO boring.

i have a feeling that you aren't boring- correct me if i'm wrong- but you seem, i dunno, more with the times and someone i'd really get on with, coz i seem to be disliked some what a lot around here... generally coz i have my music (mika) WAY to loud :naughty: x

It can also mean loving somebody who doesn't love you back or loving somebody who only loves the idea of you and doesn't much like the reality.

The lovely think about idioms is that they can mean pretty much whatever the listener needs them to mean.

I've had plenty of empty loving that didn't involve sex at all. All forms of empty loving I've done have left me seasick, tossed about on the waves of uncertainty.

Well when someone says "loving"

I either think..."all my loving...:harp:"

Or SEX.

so empty loving naturally means sex that is empty which means it's just kinda like... I don't love you, but I want to have a relationship (:das:) with you..

But that's just my interpretation.

I would tell you but then Guy would send me to the Naughty Corner and that's not a cozy place to spend the night...:mf_rosetinted:

"I don't enjoy having sex without loving the person...WHENEVER I'M OUT SAILING":mf_rosetinted:

:lol3:

It can also mean loving somebody who doesn't love you back or loving somebody who only loves the idea of you and doesn't much like the reality.

The lovely think about idioms is that they can mean pretty much whatever the listener needs them to mean.

I've had plenty of empty loving that didn't involve sex at all. All forms of empty loving I've done have left me seasick, tossed about on the waves of uncertainty.

Aw, so poetic!

Well when someone says "loving"

I either think..."all my loving...:harp:"

Or SEX.

so empty loving naturally means sex that is empty which means it's just kinda like... I don't love you, but I want to have a relationship (:das:) with you..

But that's just my interpretation.

But isn't there a difference between making love and sex? Maybe he's referring to someone telling him they love him, and then "making love", but he doesn't feel loved, so it's making him sick? Hmm.. :boxed:

No, I mean, not LITERALLY, but figuratively. Conceptually. I think making love means a lot more than just sex. Sex is the action, making love is like linking two being as one. YYou know?

I sound cuckoo. :lol3:

Ahhh Yeaaah :roftl:

So in this case I would say he's saying he prefers making love to just sex which is .. empty..

I haven't read this whole thread, so I don't know if this has been brought up before, but I picture this song as a story about the little devil on someone's shoulder has a crush on them. The person doesn't like the devil ("everyday I push him off and tell him boy we're over") and then he/she realizes it was all in their imagination ("wondering was I crazy all along")

btw, I always thought that last line was "wondering was I crazy or alone" I was disappointed it wasn't, I like it better:naughty: