Studio vs. Acoustic versions

forevermika

I've heard a fair amount of people on the forum say that they were disappointed with the studio versions because they weren't as good as the acoustic versions, and (at the risk of being partisan) I can't say I disagree.

But this reminds me of a similar rift among the fanbase of Regina Spektor when her new abum came out in June. When her last album came out, everyone loved it. Then they heard the live versions which were a thousand times better. Then by the time her latest album was released we had heard most of those songs live which led to a lot of disappointment because everyone expects the studio versions to be of better quality, when really they're just clogged with unnecessary instruments. (did i say this story was similar? more like exactly alike.) I guess this sort of thing happens to every artist.

So, what are you're thoughts on studio vs. acoustic versions?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the case of Mika's work specifically, I generally tend to prefer the acoustic versions. For example, I prefer the original "I'm Falling" to "I See You" on the new album - I can appreciate what he's done with it, and it's growing on me, but I do prefer the original incarnation.

A friend said to me that Mika said somewhere than until he's got a band or something backing his work, he's always more self-conscious about it. It's interesting then, that his acoustic work always seems (to me) to be more infused with a raw sort of passion, I think is the only way I could describe it.

It's almost like by the time his work has gone through the well-oiled machine it comes out as a 'safer' version, and I definately prefer the originals/alternatives.

In this case I have heard a lot of the acoustic versions before the recorded versions, and I have to say I prefer the live versions.

After he said that he was going to write songs with less falsetto, I was surprised how much falsetto there was on the album. I much prefer his lower register.

For me it depends entirely on the song. I don't care if I ever hear Grace Kelly or WAG live because they simply can't ever be matched to the studio production, especially when it comes to holding up the falsetto parts.

I also predict One Foot Boy, which I absolutely adore, will be impossible to replicate live because it's really just different tracks of his vocals making up the instruments in the song.

On the other hand I thought Any Other World was an awful cheesy song and I never much cared for Happy Ending and yet these were two of my favourite live songs by the end of the Dodgy Holiday Tour.

Then there are the rare magical songs that work in both cases such as Rain and Relax where the original track is strong and the acoustic is also very very good.

I was disappointed with the studio version of Toy Boy but I think I am particularly biased because I heard it live the first time it was released to the public so to me there is no better version. All of the magic is lost on the studio track but I knew that was inevitable before I even heard it.

I think that is just an inherent problem of being a dedicated fan who follows an artist in everything they do and not really because the live version is so much better than the recorded one. You just develop an attachment to the live version and end up hearing it earlier than the studio version whereas the general public usually hears the studio version first.

For me it depends entirely on the song. I don't care if I ever hear Grace Kelly or WAG live because they simply can't ever be matched to the studio production, especially when it comes to holding up the falsetto parts.

I also predict One Foot Boy, which I absolutely adore, will be impossible to replicate live because it's really just different tracks of his vocals making up the instruments in the song.

On the other hand I thought Any Other World was an awful cheesy song and I never much cared for Happy Ending and yet these were two of my favourite live songs by the end of the Dodgy Holiday Tour.

Then there are the rare magical songs that work in both cases such as Rain and Relax where the original track is strong and the acoustic is also very very good.

I was disappointed with the studio version of Toy Boy but I think I am particularly biased because I heard it live the first time it was released to the public so to me there is no better version. All of the magic is lost on the studio track but I knew that was inevitable before I even heard it.

I think that is just an inherent problem of being a dedicated fan who follows an artist in everything they do and not really because the live version is so much better than the recorded one. You just develop an attachment to the live version and end up hearing it earlier than the studio version whereas the general public usually hears the studio version first.

great reply Christine:thumb_yello:!

I agree that any song with a falsetto Mika can't replicate too well live. But I have to disagree in the sense that I do believe some songs are just better live. I find that the 'raw passion' is sometimes missing in studio versions.

Edited by forevermika

In this case I have heard a lot of the acoustic versions before the recorded versions, and I have to say I prefer the live versions.

After he said that he was going to write songs with less falsetto, I was surprised how much falsetto there was on the album. I much prefer his lower register.

I was also suprised by how much falsetto was on this album as I too love his lower register.

I'm yet to hear Mika live, in the flesh. That's all gonna change in November (:yay:) but I do have thoughts about this anyway.

Whenever I watch other people's footage of Mika singing live, it always bothers me that he's jumping around so much that he can't sing the notes as purely or support them as well as he can on the studio versions where he isn't bouncing around. But, someone mentioned the passion of the live performances, and I think this is what I will encounter in November (I hope!) The enthusiasm, the excitement and atmosphere of the live gig will hopefully offset any disappointment I may have about things not sounding just like the studio (in terms of hitting notes perfectly).

Of course, we already know Mika's opinion on this, that he treats them as two different and distinct things and doesn't try to emulate the studio versions in the live versions, even to the point of actively altering the song for the live performance like Love Today's intro for instance.

So I'm presuming that I'm going to love them both as much as each other, but in different ways.... But I'll let you know after November:wink2:

I think with Mika, it's important to note that it's not just studio versus acoustic versions; it's studio versions, live (full band) versions, and acoustic versions.

For me, I usually find myself loving all three versions in different ways.

The studio versions are candy coated, polished, and insta-classics. The live versions are intense, filled with energy, and come with the added bonus of seeing his expression and dance moves while he sings. Then the acoustic versions really show off what an utterly amazing vocalist he is. The *proper* acoustic version that is, with just him and a piano. And maybe Martin. :teehee:

I usually end up gravitating to live versions, listening to them more than the studio versions. Especially acoustic versions. The acoustic version of WAG is amazing. And I SO want an acoustic version of Blue Eyes. :wub2:

But right now I'm busy being obsessed with the studio versions of the TBWKTM songs. The live obsession will come after the tour. :aah:

I'm terribly fond of acoustics's. Most of the time with every band or musician that I love I gravitate toward the demo or stripped acoustics. There is just something about a musician and the bare basics that I enjoy.

Actually I live for sessions collections. What I mean is collections of outtakes that an artist recorded while making albumns. I have the Monkee's headquarters album sessions. I have the complete John Lennon Collection Sessions and I have a good portion of the Beatles sessions.I really really really love studio outtakes. Maybe one day Mika will treat us to something similar one day once he has more albums under his suspenders :biggrin2:. For me they are the best way to listen to a artist weave their songs. I think creation in song writing is almost more fantastic than the finished product.

It's wonderful to hear the polished studio albums but there is just something a raw track that makes me happy. That's probably why Blue eyes make me so happy it's close to a acoustic even though it really isn't on the album.

I think with Mika, it's important to note that it's not just studio versus acoustic versions; it's studio versions, live (full band) versions, and acoustic versions.

For me, I usually find myself loving all three versions in different ways.

That's what I think too. All three versions are so wonderful in their own way. I love acoustic versions so much. Just Mika and piano, and like you said, maybe Martin. It must be the most beautiful thing in the world :wub2:

But full band live gigs are filled with so much energy it's like a drug to me. Actually I don't joke :shocked: His way of singing, dancing, moving and taking a contact to the audience gives me so much adrenaline that I want to feel it again and again.

And every time I want to feel cheerful and happy I listen to his albums and studio versions. His new album with all Pet Shop Boys and George Michael feelings makes me smile! I can hear also lots of falsetto, it's my favorite part :wub2:

I prefer the studioversions and liveversion of most songs to the acoustic versions. Except for Relax and Rain, I love the acoustic versions of that and the album version equally.

I liked Good Gone Girl more live, but I still like the album version. I just think the end sounded better live, with the ''she's walking around..'' and the ''oooooooh good gooone giiirl'' bit not overlapping each other.

It totally depends on the song though, but I can say that in most cases, I prefer the albumversion or live version.

Like Christine also said, I LOVE the liveversion of Any Other World and Happy Ending, but those were probably my least favourites on LICM.

That's what I think too. All three versions are so wonderful in their own way. I love acoustic versions so much. Just Mika and piano, and like you said, maybe Martin. It must be the most beautiful thing in the world :wub2:

But full band live gigs are filled with so much energy it's like a drug to me. Actually I don't joke :shocked: His way of singing, dancing, moving and taking a contact to the audience gives me so much adrenaline that I want to feel it again and again.

And every time I want to feel cheerful and happy I listen to his albums and studio versions. His new album with all Pet Shop Boys and George Michael feelings makes me smile! I can hear also lots of falsetto, it's my favorite part :wub2:

I think so,too. I don't think I can compare the three versions because they are completely different things. The acoustic versions are simply beautiful :blush-anim-cl: I love the many kind of choruses and the falsettos in the studio versions. Some of them are impossible to replicate live, but I also love the way Mika sings live. Actually I have never had a chance to go to one of his concert, and I hope he will come to Japan again!:aah:

I'm terribly fond of acoustics's. Most of the time with every band or musician that I love I gravitate toward the demo or stripped acoustics. There is just something about a musician and the bare basics that I enjoy.

Actually I live for sessions collections. What I mean is collections of outtakes that an artist recorded while making albumns. I have the Monkee's headquarters album sessions. I have the complete John Lennon Collection Sessions and I have a good portion of the Beatles sessions.I really really really love studio outtakes. Maybe one day Mika will treat us to something similar one day once he has more albums under his suspenders :biggrin2:. For me they are the best way to listen to a artist weave their songs. I think creation in song writing is almost more fantastic than the finished product.

It's wonderful to hear the polished studio albums but there is just something a raw track that makes me happy. That's probably why Blue eyes make me so happy it's close to a acoustic even though it really isn't on the album.

I know we're not supposed to talk about the unmentionables, but that was part of the beauty of those for me. The fact that they were demos and quite raw. I long to hear those songs that haven't made it past demo stage and onto albums yet.

I think so,too. I don't think I can compare the three versions because they are completely different things. The acoustic versions are simply beautiful :blush-anim-cl: I love the many kind of choruses and the falsettos in the studio versions. Some of them are impossible to replicate live, but I also love the way Mika sings live. Actually I have never had a chance to go to one of his concert, and I hope he will come to Japan again!:aah:

I hope that too and I'm sure he will! He was there promoting, and he knows he has fans in Japan :thumb_yello:

I know we're not supposed to talk about the unmentionables, but that was part of the beauty of those for me. The fact that they were demos and quite raw. I long to hear those songs that haven't made it past demo stage and onto albums yet.

I love those too. Something so simple beauty in those songs :wub2:

I prefer the live versions of all songs. Not the accoustic ones, not the studio ones, the live versions as in recorded from gigs. To me they have more 'depth' to them, they're raw if anyone at all knows what I'm talking about :aah: Can't wait to have a recording of the entire album live :teehee:

great reply Christine:thumb_yello:!

I agree that any song with a falsetto Mika can't replicate too well live. But I have to disagree in the sense that I do believe some songs are just better live. I find that the 'raw passion' is sometimes missing in studio versions.

Oh, I wouldn't agree with the first sentence. When I first heard Mika live I was stunned! He did all the falsetto parts brilliantly! Listen to his intro to Love Today and the whole song, actually. Or Relax. He's an amazing singer!

I back up what you've written Tiibet. It is like a drug:roftl: and every time I'm amazed how great he sings despite all the jumping and dancing. It doesn't mean I ever want him to stop moving on stage the way he does - it gives his shows that extra sparkle of energy.

I am also enchanted by what he can do it with a song. Transform it, like e.g. Relax, from a powerful studio hit to a an amazingly energizing live full band shocker to a piano-guitar only accoustic version. I love the way he plays with songs 'cause even when you know the playlist before a gig, you are never sure what the song will sound like.:wub2:

I never spoke that the studio version is worse than acoustic.... Simply they differ... And it pleases as though acoustic versions would be additional songs. In studio receive pleasure listening to magnificent arrangement and game of Mika's voice. And hear that variant of a song which has been conceived by Mika... Hear to what He aspired... And hear such performance of a song what He wished to inform up to a listener, where each sound has been perfected and there is nothing superfluous or rash . And plus of studio record is that Mika not especially requires in a back-vocal. Only in studio we can hear how Mika sings and simultaneously echos Himself with several voices (a fine example is " One Foot Boy ").

It is His Work. He is proud of this and has spent a great lot of time and forces and has enclosed a part Him soul and the love.

I love acoustic for an opportunity of improvisation. Here Mika can add to a song the beautiful musical moments. Because even after final creation of a song and its output to the public Mika tries to improve and play it in a new fashion. I consider He always has some variations of sounding of His songs. To tell more truly, has no but mentally supplements, considers... A song is created and written down but Mika continues to work, supplement and change above it. And we always see it in acoustic concerts. Therefore everyone love acoustic. And certainly, His voice ... It is such pleasure - to listen to His alive voice...

Therefore I love both studio and acoustic.

For the most part, I prefer the version of the song with the most Piano in it, wheather that be the studio, aucostic, or live version.

I also think that the version your hear first is gonna generally be the one you like the most, simply because you heard it first.