2009 - Mika @ Sound Academy,Toronto, Canada - 12 Oct - GIG REPORTS

guylainem123

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are mixed up, sorry.

Get this Suze, when we finally left the last of you, I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes - fact.

Having said that I did have tears in my eyes for a lot of the trip, tears of laughter......

Aww. :wub2: I loved meeting everyone- Sara and you give especially nice hugs. :teehee:

I reckon Mika should have kingston for his opening act. Theyre the most energetic pop band besides mika that ive seen in a long time (plus they're new and looking for gigs.)

Better than the garbage we had to endure. :teehee:

4007747890_e2fbe02290.jpg

awkward angle...:roftl:

Haha. I took the most terrifying photo, lemme find it. :roftl:

Hey Dylan! Hear Long looked after you, he's just a great guy huh?

Great to meet you too!

Yeah, and he showed me around Toronto then fed me some great leftover pasta. :biggrin2:

Everyone was so nice!! I'm saving money in hopes that I can go for the European tour.

Edited by DylanM

By the way, does anyone have, or know of a good video of Blame It On The Girls from this gig? I really want to see the "who can sing louder" part. :teehee: I've found many of the songs on youtube in fairly good quality, but it seems like noone recorded this one.

By the way, does anyone have, or know of a good video of Blame It On The Girls from this gig? I really want to see the "who can sing louder" part. :teehee: I've found many of the songs on youtube in fairly good quality, but it seems like noone recorded this one.

Keep an eye on Sara's YouTube channel, I think she may have gotten it and just not had the chance to upload it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saragiro

GAHHHHHHH okay! :roftl:

i'm still trying to get over the fact that I FINALLY HAD MY MIKA MOMENT!! !

I'm actually still pretty speachless about everything that happened on monday!! !

Soooo a basic summary of my day would be: Throwing a tantrum for being "late" to line up for the concert, arriving and being REALLY cold and shy, dancing around and blasting all of Mika's songs on my ipod dock, T&T asian market was... different, standing around in the cold and trying to pass the time, Making new friends and meeting some for the first time, LOL chillin with the teen of MFC toronto was awesome!! **iadoremika, Mika4Life13 nd DylanM

The show was about to start and we all get hot chocolate from Mika, John is looking for someone atleast 18 years old to dance on stage with MIKA , i begged and shouted even though i'm only 16, and after a moment of shock i decided to go for the once (hopefully more) in a lifetime opportunity of performing on stage with Mika , sooo there was lot's of hyperventilating, shaking and freak outs,

Then we were shown to our dressing room in which zoots and i shared with Cherise and Erika!! ! Mrs. Penniman came in to give us our costumes.. THEY WERE HUGE!! ! but we still manage to pull it off! Ahhhhhh I would be talking to Cherise and Erika and practising the dance infront of a mirror and every few minutes Mika would walk into the room all happy and smiling nd i would run into the washroom for a few minutes to catch my breathe again! :teehee:

Hearing the Band do their warm-ps and harmonize before the show was BEAUTIFUL!! ! IT HONESTLY BLEW MY MIND!! ! OMG and when Mika caught me dancing all silly infront of the mirror.. he spun me around, smiled and looked deeply in my eyes and :mf_lustslow: LOL he did my face paint!! ! I couldn't breeathe!! ! :aah: I STILL HAVE HIS SCENT ON MY SCARF!! !

Finally, I remember being behind the stage as the concert started and MIKA singing the beginning melody to "Relax" right beside me!! ! At first, I was sooo excited!! (I've performed many times before) but this time it was going to be with MIKA :wub2: as soon as the bass started.. i felt soooo :shocked: i completely blanked on everything!! ! But finally our cues came and we went on stage and it was AMAZING!! !

I WAS SOOOO HAPPY BEING THERE WITH MIKA AND THE BAND AND LOOKING DOWN AND SEEING ALL THE MFCers LINING THE FRONT ROW!! Oh! and that adrenaline rush that you get throughout the whole concert was GREAT! I never knew there was anything closer than front row centre when watching a Mika concert.. we were given seats between the stage and right infront of the barrier for the rest of the show! Zoots cried during Happy Ending and I was basically paralyzed in amazement on how INCREDIBLY SPECTACULAR the concert was!! !

Monday was basically the BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!! ! I really enjoyed meeting all of you, and I'm glad that I got the chance to spend about 6 hours queueing with all of you!! ! I wonder when my next gig is going to be... :teehee: I NEED MORE MIKA!!!

Mika in Toronto. :wub2:

This gig was amaaazing. The Sound academy is a club-ish venue, with a balcony area which I don't think was used, and a GA floor area. There was no seating. There were barriers which were about 4 ft hight, which was kind of irritating; I don't really like barriers at gigs. It's more fun to be right up to the stage, but whatever; I understand they're pretty standard.

The queueing part of the day went smoothly, although we were freezing. 5C is not good queuing weather. The area was SO pretty though; the venue was on a pier which overlooked the harbour, with Toronto's city centre in the distance. I took this pic from the boardwalk just beside the venue:

http://twitpic.com/la7do

Near 7pm, when the doors were about to open, they told us they'd move the queue from the main door to a side door. We were a bit worried, because of the possibility that the move would be a free-for-all with people ending up running all over; but thankfully, it went smoothly.

We got inside and I ended up on the right side of the stage (Mika's left) next to Dylan. It felt like five thousand years waiting for Mika to come on! First we heard the opener, Gary Go. He sounds nice recorded, but I didn't love him live. Mika needs opening acts that are energetic and get people fired up. Gary Go just didn't fit the bill. Partway through his set a spider came down from the ceiling in front of his keyboard, and everyone paid more attention to the spider than to him.

After his set, it felt like another five thousand years before Mika came on. Then finally, FINALLY the house lights dimmed.

You've heard about/seen the videos from the beginning, so I won't go into detail. But it was really cool to see. The band all rocked their acting bits, and it was visually delicious. I could see Mika crouching at the side of the stage in his astronaut costume. So cute. He came on and went up on the catwalk behind Cherisse, acting as though he was space walking. Then he stripped down to his WAG-style boxers.

Mika went offstage and the band started Relax. Mika did his initial "ooo-WHOAAAA-ahhh ahh!!" from outside the audience view. He then came bounding onto the stage in the outfit you've seen, barefoot and looking great. I know some people have been like "wtf, Relax again?" But it was awesome. I think by now it's probably a Pavlovian response where my brain associates Relax with a crazy fun gig, and it makes me super excited.

Some of my favourite songs were Rain, One Foot Boy, Blue Eyes and We Are Golden. Rain is like Love Today; so energetic live, and everyone goes mental. One Foot Boy is such a great song. I love how he sings "and every day I push him off and tell him boy, we're over, my." I like that even better than the CD version. It sounded like he sort of missed the first "Don't staaaaaaay!" or whatever that line really is, but the same time around he hit it, and it sounded utterly flawless.

And We Are Golden is amazing. When Mika hears the crowd chanting back "We are not what you think we are, we are golden!" this look of utter elation took over his face. I KNEW from the first time I heard that song that it would be all about hearing that in a gig setting, and I was so right. it's awesome. It's like having joined some sort of ambitious, motivated cult. :roftl:

I love the visual aspect of this show. I think Mika's really outdone himself; it's head and shoulders above the North American Dodgy Holiday Tour, which was already amazing. The set design and costumes work so well, as does Mika's Tickle Trunk full of props. :roftl:

After the gig we went outside for a bit to see if Mika would come out, but it was really cold and they needed to leave for Montreal right away, so we didn't see him.

It was a great gig. And to everyone I met; thank you. Nowadays, it's only 50% Mika. It's all about my MFC peeps. :wub2:

brilliant reports!!! reading them made me feel a bit as if i was there:wub2:

I had to post this:

JenickaWynne PS. Running into Derek from Life With Derek at a @mikasounds concert is a whole nutha story!!

:lmfao::roftl:

That show sucks.

My best friend and I have always had a crush on Michael Seater but..

HE WAS SOOO MEAN!!

i saw him and i was like : :shocked: " OMG! MICHAEL SEATER! I LOVE YOU! " :mf_lustslow::wub2::bow:

and he just walked right past me like :smoke: with his friends giggling and following after him :freak:

:huh: it was kinda embarrassing but i don't really care about it too much..

but i just wanted to... :bash: grrrr

i will never like Michael Seater the same way ever again! :shun:

LOL it's funny how i use smilies to express how i looked or felt :teehee:

almost like a children's storybook!

Keep an eye on Sara's YouTube channel, I think she may have gotten it and just not had the chance to upload it yet:

http://www.youtube.com/user/saragiro

I took it indeed :biggrin2:, but totally forgot to upload the rest of them so I'm doing them now. I guess that Blame It On The Girls will come up tomorrow......

Here is the updated list to now:

Mika - Intro & Relax @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Big Girl @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Stuck In The Middle @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Doctor John @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Blue Eyes @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Touches You @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Pick Up Off The Floor is uploading as we speak and the rest coming soon....

My best friend and I have always had a crush on Michael Seater but..

HE WAS SOOO MEAN!!

i saw him and i was like : :shocked: " OMG! MICHAEL SEATER! I LOVE YOU! " :mf_lustslow::wub2::bow:

and he just walked right past me like :smoke: with his friends giggling and following after him :freak:

:huh: it was kinda embarrassing but i don't really care about it too much..

but i just wanted to... :bash: grrrr

i will never like Michael Seater the same way ever again! :shun:

LOL it's funny how i use smilies to express how i looked or felt :teehee:

almost like a children's storybook!

Ha, I knew he'd be a douche :teehee:

I took it indeed :biggrin2:, but totally forgot to upload the rest of them so I'm doing them now. I guess that Blame It On The Girls will come up tomorrow......

Here is the updated list to now:

Pick Up Off The Floor is uploading as we speak and the rest coming soon....

sara you're a star!!! thanks so much for the vids :flowers2:

Now that I've been to a seated Mika gig (Montreal) - this queuing that we just did in Toronto, is getting tiresome. :teehee: Sure I don't mind hanging out with my MFC pals, but I'd rather it be somewhere else.

IMG_3592.jpg

IMG_3591.jpg

So, it's been a few days, but finally here is the full list of the videos that I took at the Toronto gig.

Towards the end I was a bit worried about my memory card lasting (I had forgotten to delete some old stuff before the gig started :doh: and as I didn't know which other songs he'd do, I only recorded bits of some of the "old" ones in case I needed the space for more new songs.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I only recorded part of a couple of them instead of the full song :naughty:.

Random guy @ Mika gig queue in Toronto Sound Academy 121009

Mika - Pick Up Off The Floor @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - One Foot Boy @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Blame It On The Girls @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Happy Ending @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Billy Brown @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Shc83uPf0

Mika - I See You (part 1) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeH8hwKi5cg

Mika - I See You (part 2) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02V0p4AwLE

Mika - Rain @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNzbd16Rg1M

Mika - Love Today @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzV4MniYWIQ

Mika - We Are Golden @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=904ZJwg5-bE

Mika - Toyboy (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AeDUxbVpI

Mika - Grace Kelly (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPMNPu9mN0

Mika - Lollipop (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_L3HnQhe4

This isn't anything new...wardrobe malfunction. :teehee:

I'm sure his face was supposed to be in the shot before he jumped.

*Any bets on how soon this pic will make it to the other thread?*

Peek-a-boo. I see you.

IMG_3671-1.jpg

Notice the white WAG boxers underneath? I'm surprised they don't bunch up like some of the granny panties can do.

This isn't anything new...wardrobe malfunction. :teehee:

I'm sure his face was supposed to be in the shot before he jumped.

*Any bets on how soon this pic will make it to the other thread?*

Haha twenty seconds? As I said we had already seen him in his boxers so this was nothing. :naughty: