2009 - Mika @ Sound Academy,Toronto, Canada - 12 Oct - GIG REPORTS

guylainem123

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My report, i suppose...(never written one of these before! :teehee:)

Okay, so when I first got to the venue there was three people in line, :roftl: And I was reeeeally worried that we were at the wrong place or something, so I made my parents drive around until I was satisfied. We waited in the car for a bit, and ate some sandwhiches until finally I saw sariflor, aurelien, and the others walking down the street. I literally JUMPED out of the car and just like booked it to the venue I was so excited! :wub2: It was like seeing celebrites!!! (I'm getting teary eyed as I write this, lololol. :roftl:) Anyways, so I was very shy and they were all so nice and hilarious, and Mana has more energy than 5 cans of redbull! :fangurl: So we waited inline for about 5 hours, all MFCers are the very front, which made my heart smile, and I had some good bonding experiences with Louise and Mikalov3, and it was SO BLASTED COLD OUT SO MIKA BOUGHT US ALL HOT CHOCOLATES FROM STARBUCKS! and finally we got to move to the front of the door which was just so exciting I couldn't handle it. Then we went inside and waited 20 minutes for an...interesting opening act... (i STILL don't know the name of this guy though louise told me like a bajillion times) but so that was good, then we waited like what felt eternity for mika to come on and when they were doing the beginning the curtains were only half way so people were shouting OPEN THE CURTIANS because I could only see cherisse and the other girl sitting on the couch. So I vocally expressed my love for sunshine, martin and cherisse which must have been nice for them, :roftl: and they did this whole routine where they watched a video with i think it was sir ian mckellen talking about a rocket going off, which was AWESOME! Then out of nowhere MIKA COMES OUT IN A ASTRONAUT SUIT AND TAKES IT OFF THEN HE IS JUST WEARING WHITE BOXERS!!!! I never screamed so loudly in my ENTIRE life, it was so amazing!! Then the concert went on with hilarious little acts like him with his teapot friend, and him changing his coat every so often. He looked at me when he was singing Blue eyes, and my mom looked at me and smiled and my eyes were like filled with tears it was so amazing!AND WHEN HE SANG LOVE TODAY (I was right at the front where he usually sang to all the left sided people. right to him) HE POINTED AT ME. BECAUSE I WAS GOING L L THEN POINTING TO ME, HE DID L L THEN POINTED TO ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I DIED. :fangurl:

When he sang happy ending, toy boy, I see you, he put SO much emotion in to it, he looked so sad singing it, I couldn't help but cry during toy boy :roftl:

It was so amazing and I can't even begin to explain it all because he just put his heart and soul into every song, and kept thanking Toronto, which made my smile just get so much bigger. The crowd was awesome, we were so loud and danced so hard core for him, I never stopped dancing and singing, and (though my camera died) had an absolutely amazing time, and none of it could have happened without my fellow MFCers who got me to the front of the line and were all so sweet and nice to me :wub2:

Oh god, I'm going to cry now. :wub2:

:boing: :boing: Finally!!!

I found a couple more decent ones that I took.

102_7167-1.jpg

102_7205.jpg

(It looks like he's crying...

In the colour version, his face is even red as well...)

He just gave his all in the sad-song performances,

I really felt for him!

oh and christine, when i said mika was moving people around the stage, if you watch sara's love today you can see him move the dan/dave/whatever his name is with the guitar.

Nice review on the MuchMusic blog.

http://blog.muchmusic.com/mika-the-sound-academy/

Beginning a tour can be nerve-racking. Beginning a tour with a brand new album can cause even more anxious jitters. Last night Mika kicked off his North American tour in Toronto having just recently released his new album The Boy Who Knew Too Much and he didn’t seem to have even one butterfly in his stomach. Why should he? His show is nothing short of a spectacular performance.

Opening with a theatrical tableau of sorts, two lads and two lasses sat watching TV and socializing on a couch. Just then, who should appear on the TV screen but Ian McKellen (I’m 90% sure it was him) playing a newscaster! He greeted the audience telling them of a space launch, but suddenly - Oh no! Malfunctions! Explosions! But wait – who’s that? It’s Mika in a space suit! Surrounded by a bunch of giant bubble planets that decorate the entire stage! Next thing you know he’s out of his space suit and cheering in his boxers (I kid you not)!

And thus began the show.

Mika quickly got into a new outfit (a half checkered/half striped jacket) and started off his set with the good old Relax (Take It Easy). This was to be the first of many sing-a-longs. Scratch that, every song was a sing-a-long. And dance-a-thon, seeing that Mika ordered that we all jump and dance numerous times, but this of course was not a problem. Everyone followed without hesitation.

As mentioned before, the entire show was a spectacle. In Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) some back up dancing big girls came out! So much neon and black lighting! Everyone’s costumes were glowing (including Mika’s crown of feathers which he sported for a few songs)! Oh, and let’s not forget about Mika’s marionette teapot which came to life!

Each song was sung brilliantly thanks to Mika’s soaring vocals. Props also go to his fantastic backup girly who danced along and belted out her heart every step of the way along side him. Way to go lady!

The setlist was a great mix of “Life In Cartoon Motion” and “The Boy Who Knew Too Much”!

Check it out!

1. Relax (Take It Easy)

2. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

3. Stuck in the Middle

4. Dr. John

5. Blue Eyes

6. Touches You

7. Pick Up Off the Floor

8. One Foot Boy

9. Blame It On The Girls

10. Happy Ending

11. Billy Brown

12. I See You

13. Rain

14. Love Today

15. We Are Golden

Encore:

16. Toy Boy

17. Grace Kelly

18. Lollipop

So good! Love Today and We Are Golden back to back? Jam packed party! All in all super duper!

Mika has two more Canadian dates! If you’re debating going to the show DO IT!

Mucho fun times.

October 13 @ Place Des Arts, Montreal

October 27 @ Commodore Ballroom, Vancouver

Thanks. I was a little quiet because I was shy. :blush-anim-cl: Next time I won't be.

You and Babs were the people that gave me hugs as I left. Twas nice. :teehee:

Yeah, I thought.

You looked so cold, hun! Needed a big hug to warm you up! It was lovely to meet you!

I haven't watched any. Any recommendations?

Happy Ending and Relax and the Random Guy in the Queue, and Big Girl, are the only ones I've seen so far. But each of them are funny! Especially the first 20 seconds... :roftl:

Random guy @ Mika gig queue in Toronto Sound Academy 121009

Mika - Intro & Relax @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Big Girl @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Stuck In The Middle @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Doctor John @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Blue Eyes @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Touches You @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Pick Up Off The Floor @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - One Foot Boy @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Blame It On The Girls @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Happy Ending @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Billy Brown @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Shc83uPf0

Mika - I See You (part 1) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeH8hwKi5cg

Mika - I See You (part 2) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f02V0p4AwLE

Mika - Rain @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNzbd16Rg1M

Mika - Love Today @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzV4MniYWIQ

Mika - We Are Golden @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=904ZJwg5-bE

Mika - Toyboy (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2AeDUxbVpI

Mika - Grace Kelly (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPMNPu9mN0

Mika - Lollipop (part) @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP_L3HnQhe4

Edited by Suzy

:shocked:

God is it already ... bloody hell :aah:

A week ago I heard babs say dodgy,

first person I have ever heard say dodgy that wasn't on a youtube video. :lmao:

It seems like yesterday...:tears:

P.S the "13" finally washed off my hand , i didn't get a chance to draw it on the third time :shun:

You know, after reading all the drama in the NYC thread, I just wanted to share an anecdote from Toronto.

At one point before doors opened, I was talking with security and they asked me - get this - if I thought the crowd surfing would be out of control. :lmfao:

Given what they were expecting, something tells me that the gig was actually quite tame in comparison. :roftl:

You know, after reading all the drama in the NYC thread, I just wanted to share an anecdote from Toronto.

At one point before doors opened, I was talking with security and they asked me - get this - if I thought the crowd surfing would be out of control. :lmfao:

Given what they were expecting, something tells me that the gig was actually quite tame in comparison. :roftl:

:lmfao: This is priceless!

:lmfao: Only if Mika decided to go for it himself!

This Toronto crowd was 1000% better behaved than last time. It's funny all 3 Mika shows in TO have had completely different crowds. You wouldn't know it was the same city and artist performing.

Totally agree about the Toronto crowd being a LOT better this time round. The Kool Haus was nasty, both crowd AND security (remember how we were saved by that Omar dude when the others wanted to stick some queuejumpers who turned up at 6 pm and "knew the owner" in front of us, after we'd been queuing all day? And then threatened to throw us out when we complained???

Give me the Sound Academy crowd any day :roftl:

:fangurl: And it went by SO quickly. :tears:

:tears:

everyday for a week I have been going "I saw him, I really did." :blush-anim-cl:

:lmfao: Only if Mika decided to go for it himself!

This Toronto crowd was 1000% better behaved than last time. It's funny all 3 Mika shows in TO have had completely different crowds. You wouldn't know it was the same city and artist performing.

My mom was really...whatstheword...proud of how the crow behaved almost..

except for the "GARY GO..GET MIKA."

"SHUT THE F*CK UP."

bit. :teehee:

Edited by Mika4Life13