2009 - Mika @ Sound Academy,Toronto, Canada - 12 Oct - GIG REPORTS

guylainem123

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Canadians! Just loved everything about the trip.

Going to bed now.

ROFL Mana does a full report and you do 3 sentences :roftl::roftl:

Mana, I agree about We Are Golden sounding like a cult lol! I said exactly the same thing!

Mika in Toronto. :wub2:

This gig was amaaazing. The Sound academy is a club-ish venue, with a balcony area which I don't think was used, and a GA floor area. There was no seating. There were barriers which were about 4 ft hight, which was kind of irritating; I don't really like barriers at gigs. It's more fun to be right up to the stage, but whatever; I understand they're pretty standard.

The queueing part of the day went smoothly, although we were freezing. 5C is not good queuing weather. The area was SO pretty though; the venue was on a pier which overlooked the harbour, with Toronto's city centre in the distance. I took this pic from the boardwalk just beside the venue:

http://twitpic.com/la7do

Near 7pm, when the doors were about to open, they told us they'd move the queue from the main door to a side door. We were a bit worried, because of the possibility that the move would be a free-for-all with people ending up running all over; but thankfully, it went smoothly.

We got inside and I ended up on the right side of the stage (Mika's left) next to Dylan. It felt like five thousand years waiting for Mika to come on! First we heard the opener, Gary Go. He sounds nice recorded, but I didn't love him live. Mika needs opening acts that are energetic and get people fired up. Gary Go just didn't fit the bill. Partway through his set a spider came down from the ceiling in front of his keyboard, and everyone paid more attention to the spider than to him. :teehee:

After his set, it felt like another five thousand years before Mika came on. Then finally, FINALLY the house lights dimmed.

You've heard about/seen the videos from the beginning, so I won't go into detail. But it was really cool to see. The band all rocked their acting bits, and it was visually delicious. I could see Mika crouching at the side of the stage in his astronaut costume. So cute. He came on and went up on the catwalk behind Cherisse, acting as though he was space walking. Then he stripped down to his WAG-style boxers. :naughty:

Mika went offstage and the band started Relax. Mika did his initial "ooo-WHOAAAA-ahhh ahh!!" from outside the audience view. He then came bounding onto the stage in the outfit you've seen, barefoot and looking great. I know some people have been like "wtf, Relax again?" But it was awesome. I think by now it's probably a Pavlovian response where my brain associates Relax with a crazy fun gig, and it makes me super excited. :naughty:

Some of my favourite songs were Rain, One Foot Boy, Blue Eyes and We Are Golden. Rain is like Love Today; so energetic live, and everyone goes mental. One Foot Boy is such a great song. I love how he sings "and every day I push him off and tell him boy, we're over, my." I like that even better than the CD version. It sounded like he sort of missed the first "Don't staaaaaaay!" or whatever that line really is, but the same time around he hit it, and it sounded utterly flawless.

And We Are Golden is amazing. When Mika hears the crowd chanting back "We are not what you think we are, we are golden!" this look of utter elation took over his face. I KNEW from the first time I heard that song that it would be all about hearing that in a gig setting, and I was so right. it's awesome. It's like having joined some sort of ambitious, motivated cult. :roftl:

I love the visual aspect of this show. I think Mika's really outdone himself; it's head and shoulders above the North American Dodgy Holiday Tour, which was already amazing. The set design and costumes work so well, as does Mika's Tickle Trunk full of props. :roftl:

After the gig we went outside for a bit to see if Mika would come out, but it was really cold and they needed to leave for Montreal right away, so we didn't see him.

It was a great gig. And to everyone I met; thank you. Nowadays, it's only 50% Mika. It's all about my MFC peeps. :wub2:

Wow!

Thank you for a great report.

I am really excited with some of the vids I have watched from the Toronto show.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chih0e

I am really looking forward to seeing "Touches You" performed.

Your report puts a person there as close as a report can.

Kewl!

Tired, hungry, and sleepy. This will be point form, because I have to wake up in a few hours to catch a train to Montreal.

-never thought I could ever top the Mika experiences I've had already.

-I've shared a lot of magical Mika moments with an awesome group of MFC friends over the last 3 days. Better than anything we could have ever planned or won in a contest. I can't believe we still have more to share tomorrow. :wub2:

The energy was FREAKIN' FANTASTIC TONIGHT.

- Front row was mostly MFC. Our group was in the centre - we had sooo much eye contact it was fangurl-fabulous!:fangurl:

The stage, the set, the intro, the costumes, (and the no-costume-whatsoever-in-just-white-WAG-boxers-and-barefeet:mf_lustslow:) was incredible :shocked:

Mika's moves are the best I've ever seen in my life.

ALL the new songs (especially 'One Foot Boy', 'Touches You', Blame It On The Girls, Rain, Pick Up Off The Floor, etc ) were so awesome hearing live for the first time!

We Are Golden was so energetic it was mind blowing.

Omigod. And then Zoots and Mikaluvr being our Big Girls and doing a FANTASTIC job was just the icing on the cake.

This whole experience has been memorable and priceless. Couldn't ask for anything more than perhaps no queuing. But that's tomorrow....:aah:

Good night. Sweet dreams. :wub2:

Just got back home and have absolutely no energy for a report right now, as I won't recover until after Ihave had some sleep, but I just wanted to quote her words there because this is exactly how I feel.

This was just such an unbelievably amazing experience :wub2:. I love you all lots!!!

Will report better tomorrow.

Mika in Toronto. :wub2:

This gig was amaaazing. The Sound academy is a club-ish venue, with a balcony area which I don't think was used, and a GA floor area. There was no seating. There were barriers which were about 4 ft hight, which was kind of irritating; I don't really like barriers at gigs. It's more fun to be right up to the stage, but whatever; I understand they're pretty standard.

The queueing part of the day went smoothly, although we were freezing. 5C is not good queuing weather. The area was SO pretty though; the venue was on a pier which overlooked the harbour, with Toronto's city centre in the distance. I took this pic from the boardwalk just beside the venue:

http://twitpic.com/la7do

Near 7pm, when the doors were about to open, they told us they'd move the queue from the main door to a side door. We were a bit worried, because of the possibility that the move would be a free-for-all with people ending up running all over; but thankfully, it went smoothly.

We got inside and I ended up on the right side of the stage (Mika's left) next to Dylan. It felt like five thousand years waiting for Mika to come on! First we heard the opener, Gary Go. He sounds nice recorded, but I didn't love him live. Mika needs opening acts that are energetic and get people fired up. Gary Go just didn't fit the bill. Partway through his set a spider came down from the ceiling in front of his keyboard, and everyone paid more attention to the spider than to him. :teehee:

After his set, it felt like another five thousand years before Mika came on. Then finally, FINALLY the house lights dimmed.

You've heard about/seen the videos from the beginning, so I won't go into detail. But it was really cool to see. The band all rocked their acting bits, and it was visually delicious. I could see Mika crouching at the side of the stage in his astronaut costume. So cute. He came on and went up on the catwalk behind Cherisse, acting as though he was space walking. Then he stripped down to his WAG-style boxers. :naughty:

Mika went offstage and the band started Relax. Mika did his initial "ooo-WHOAAAA-ahhh ahh!!" from outside the audience view. He then came bounding onto the stage in the outfit you've seen, barefoot and looking great. I know some people have been like "wtf, Relax again?" But it was awesome. I think by now it's probably a Pavlovian response where my brain associates Relax with a crazy fun gig, and it makes me super excited. :naughty:

Some of my favourite songs were Rain, One Foot Boy, Blue Eyes and We Are Golden. Rain is like Love Today; so energetic live, and everyone goes mental. One Foot Boy is such a great song. I love how he sings "and every day I push him off and tell him boy, we're over, my." I like that even better than the CD version. It sounded like he sort of missed the first "Don't staaaaaaay!" or whatever that line really is, but the same time around he hit it, and it sounded utterly flawless.

And We Are Golden is amazing. When Mika hears the crowd chanting back "We are not what you think we are, we are golden!" this look of utter elation took over his face. I KNEW from the first time I heard that song that it would be all about hearing that in a gig setting, and I was so right. it's awesome. It's like having joined some sort of ambitious, motivated cult. :roftl:

I love the visual aspect of this show. I think Mika's really outdone himself; it's head and shoulders above the North American Dodgy Holiday Tour, which was already amazing. The set design and costumes work so well, as does Mika's Tickle Trunk full of props. :roftl:

After the gig we went outside for a bit to see if Mika would come out, but it was really cold and they needed to leave for Montreal right away, so we didn't see him.

It was a great gig. And to everyone I met; thank you. Nowadays, it's only 50% Mika. It's all about my MFC peeps. :wub2:

All I have to say is :swoon::wub2::fangurl: etc etc etc :boing:

Loved everything about the past 5 days while you were all here. :wub2:

Good night.

Get this Suze, when we finally left the last of you, I had a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes - fact.

Having said that I did have tears in my eyes for a lot of the trip, tears of laughter......

I was starstruck when I saw you...:roftl:

I could tell :naughty: (just joking)

Ok, here my first couple of videos. They are quite shaky; It seems that I struggled to keep my excitememt in check that night :roftl:

Mika - Intro & Relax @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Big Girl @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

I could tell :naughty: (just joking)

Ok, here my first couple of videos. They are quite shaky; It seems that I struggled to keep my excitememt in check that night :roftl:

Finally, we missed that whole intro because of the curtain :roftl::mad3:

I can totally understand you! Let's just hope it was just the jet lag that pushed him to not do the M&G and that in Europe he'll feel better! :wink2:

He'd already been in Canada for about three days at this point. I don't think it was jet lag. More pressure of work I would say.

Mika in Toronto.

:wub2:

I totally get those highlighted parts in particular from your report, it's just how I feel about it myself.

EXACTLY!!!

I love it when people in the audience knew the words to his songs, it made me feel like it would make him feel good...which made me feel good inturn :aah:

:mf_lustslow:

Dear god... I told my family about this whole thing (I'm very private - even though I did this - so I almost didn't even tell them, and only told one or two friends). Now they are cyber stalking me trying to find more. I want to delete my MFC account and shut YouTube down. You know... even when you're 30+, this stuff doesn't end. (Well, maybe if I stopped acting like a kid! LOL)

HI MOM!

:boxed:

Hi Zoot's Mom! You have a lovely daughter! Send her to England for me!

You totally made my day with this clip, and I already told you so in YouTube. Thanks a lot!

Haha, thank you :roftl:

Here the ones that I have uploaded up to now:

Mika - Stuck In The Middle @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

Mika - Doctor John @ Sound Academy in Toronto 121009

The rest coming tomorrow.