Mika at the France 2 - 13h Television News - Nov 4 2009

French Deb

but i'm wondering what he wanted to prove by finishing the LA show, i think he didn't know about the lip synching discussion by then.

Yeah I don't get it either especially since he wanted to get to the hospital to have x-rays. If he knew it was that serious he must have realized he could do more damage by running around on his foot before it was treated.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but then, he left out toy boy in baden-baden because he was tired... but he still played it in LA! well maybe he took some painkillers before coming out for the encore, so it didn't feel that bad anymore, or it was the adrenaline from the show that kept him going, whatever, i think it wasn't just the perfectionism.

Yeah, but "Toy Boy" isn't the song that finishes the show. I think his shows just has to end on a high note for him, you know?

Yeah, but "Toy Boy" isn't the song that finishes the show. I think his shows just has to end on a high note for him, you know?

what i mean is, he could've left it out in LA as well, although of course it was the least problem for his foot of the 3 songs, as it was at the piano... but it made the show (and the pain) longer. or he could've stopped after WAG, would've been a high note as well. :wink2:

whatever... he did what he did, and from what i heard made it worse by it... as i posted in the baden-baden thread, the german radio presenter told us before the show that the worst part about his injury wasn't the jump itself, but that he kept on running around on that foot... seems like he told her about it in the interview she did with him before the baden-baden show. that interview is only on tv in january, so all i know is what she said about it, but if that's true, well then i hope he learned from his mistake.

ok i'm off to bed now, it's almost 5 am here (damn!)...

what i mean is, he could've left it out in LA as well, although of course it was the least problem for his foot of the 3 songs, as it was at the piano... but it made the show (and the pain) longer. or he could've stopped after WAG, would've been a high note as well. :wink2:

whatever... he did what he did, and from what i heard made it worse by it... as i posted in the baden-baden thread, the german radio presenter told us before the show that the worst part about his injury wasn't the jump itself, but that he kept on running around on that foot... seems like he told her about it in the interview she did with him before the baden-baden show. that interview is only on tv in january, so all i know is what she said about it, but if that's true, well then i hope he learned from his mistake.

ok i'm off to bed now, it's almost 5 am here (damn!)...

I completely agree with everything...he could've stopped after WAG (which honestly, I think should close the show anyways) but like Nono said, he's such a perfectionist!

Yeah, running around during WAG and then Grace Kelly AND Lollipop definitely didn't help the situation, but as you said what is done is done. Mika will recover and HOPEFULLY learn his lesson that silly boy.:naughty:

5am?!:shocked: My goodness! Get some sleep! You really ARE still on California time!:naughty:

OMG it makes me feel queasy. Good lord. :boxed:

yes I feel sad about him feeing he had to go on, but perhaps at the time he maybe just thought he had landed awkwardly and the adrenaline and concentration of perfoming took his mind off the pain until later.

Maybe he didnt want to end the show in case people who don't know him like we do might boo him cos they might think it wasn't serious and he probs didnt think it was at first.

And I can just imagine how painful it must have been if it made him vomit poor guy :huglove: it does make me feel rather emotional about it all bless him ahhhh.

yes I feel sad about him feeing he had to go on, but perhaps at the time he maybe just thought he had landed awkwardly and the adrenaline and concentration of perfoming took his mind off the pain until later.

Maybe he didnt want to end the show in case people who don't know him like we do might boo him cos they might think it wasn't serious and he probs didnt think it was at first.

And I can just imagine how painful it must have been if it made him vomit poor guy :huglove: it does make me feel rather emotional about it all bless him ahhhh.

That is probably it. I know when I sprained my ankle, it didn't really start hurting until a few hours later. I mean it hurt the MOMENT i did it, but I kept telling myself "Oh I'm fine I'm fine." Mika was probably all wrapped up in the emotion of the performance, and his drive to keep going blocked the pain.

I can and can't believe he kept going...can because it's Mika and we know he's practically unstoppable, can't because pain like that is hard to ignore.

If anything, this just makes me so much more incredibly grateful for what he all does for us.:wub2:

OMG it makes me feel queasy. Good lord. :boxed:

yeah same here. if i'd known that, i'd personally have dragged him off stage in LA, i mean, WTF, he even did the encores, why does he think he has to behave like he's superman to please his fans?! :aah: since i read this, i'm feeling a strange mixture between anger, sadness, compassion and awe, and i feel kinda sick myself when i watch videos now of the last 3 songs. this is just horrible. :boxed:

It makes me feel sick, too. He'd started limping during Love Today, as we all know, and then during We Are Golden he was standing right in front of me for a few moments. Even though he was standing still for those few moments I was close enough to see him tensing his foot in obvious pain. I mean, it wasn't something anyone outside of the first two rows would have noticed, but it made my heart sink. :boxed:

After seeing him do the encore in a tensor bandage I was feeling really shaken up that night, actually. I couldn't sleep until like 3 a.m. Then in the Oakland queue I was feeling like an idiot for being so shaken up by an injury that, while obviously painful, wasn't that serious. And had happened to someone I don't even "know". :freak:

I really think he must have carried on out of a mixture of adrenaline and dedication. I imagine the inital injury was a shock to his system, hence making him sick, but Taylor's probably right that the worst pain didn't set in until after the encore. Sigh.

I really hope he's able to take care of it and let it heal as much as possible before the Australian/Asian dates, around whatever other appearances, promo, etc he's doing. I know I'm not his mother, he's got lots of people in that role, but I still worry. :blush-anim-cl:

sorry i could not check back everything,....he tore a tendon, right?

it's a sudden terrible pain, one to make you vomit, i wonder how he could go on and i guess we owe it to his total respect for the job he's doing.

maybe he was too hurt by fans' reactions when he had to cancel gigs in 2007 and didn't want to repeat the experience. i'm not talking about mfcers, maybe more fans blamed him for that.

i hope he can recover soon, but it will be long i'm afraid, cause he cannot rest as he should...at least it is a rather small injury, cause we know where the addiction to painkillers can take (MJ).

OMG I don't have words for what I have just read.

Like somebody said here I have no idea why he continued performing wich such a pain :shocked: to prevent him for the bad critics, because he was adrenaline high and didn't want to stop, to offer the fans a good show because he's that professional. I can't imagine he could sing (and dance!) with a torn tendon and then receive fans after the gig (he did it, right?)

I don't know if to admire him for being so brave, to get angry with him for being so careless, to feel pity for him, or the three things :boxed:

about his enjury,we asked him after baden baden show,and he didn't know the name in french about what he has;but we tried to understand;it's more important than we think,that why he have to wear all the time this big boot.

and,yes he said on tv,he still fells plain

he don't want us to see it;mika: :bow:

It makes me feel sick, too. He'd started limping during Love Today, as we all know, and then during We Are Golden he was standing right in front of me for a few moments. Even though he was standing still for those few moments I was close enough to see him tensing his foot in obvious pain. I mean, it wasn't something anyone outside of the first two rows would have noticed, but it made my heart sink. :boxed:

you noticed more than i did then. i saw him limping and first thought "oh no, he hurt his foot, how bad is it?!" but when he kept on smiling and running, i thought it wouldn't be that bad and started having fun again. :boxed: i'm actually feeling a bit guilty now for enjoying the last 4 songs of the show. though i know i shouldn't, as it was his own choice not to let ppl see how bad he felt.

I really hope he's able to take care of it and let it heal as much as possible before the Australian/Asian dates, around whatever other appearances, promo, etc he's doing. I know I'm not his mother, he's got lots of people in that role, but I still worry. :blush-anim-cl:

agree, i worry too and hope he gets some rest.

sorry i could not check back everything,....he tore a tendon, right?

it's a sudden terrible pain, one to make you vomit, i wonder how he could go on and i guess we owe it to his total respect for the job he's doing.

maybe he was too hurt by fans' reactions when he had to cancel gigs in 2007 and didn't want to repeat the experience. i'm not talking about mfcers, maybe more fans blamed him for that.

i hope he can recover soon, but it will be long i'm afraid, cause he cannot rest as he should...at least it is a rather small injury, cause we know where the addiction to painkillers can take (MJ).

from what i heard from fanny (they asked him in baden-baden), it's a ligament rupture. though i think in oakland he said something about torn tendons... or is that the same? :blink: (my knowledge of english medical terms doesn't go that much into detail... :naughty:) well, whatever, i think it'll take a while to heal, especially since he keeps on running+jumping during the shows. that boot can be blown up with air (that's also something the radio presenter in baden-baden told us) to cushion the bumping, but he still needs painkillers, so that can't be good! i mean, it's fantastic of him that he doesn't want to cancel the shows, but why doesn't he just do acoustic shows at the piano (or at least mostly at the piano if he can't manage to sit still for an hour) instead?!

about the cancelling i'm also wondering... did he have a different perspective on it in 2007 or did he feel even worse than he does now?! :shocked: maybe he really had a pneumonia back then, i know there was this rumour but we didn't believe it as he kept on doing some of the shows and left out others. :dunno:

and hathor, no, he didn't meet fans after the gig in LA, but he did in oakland one day later. :wink2:

would be fab to get a detailled translation of that french interview (esp. the first question), would love to know what exactly he said. :wink2:

you noticed more than i did then. i saw him limping and first thought "oh no, he hurt his foot, how bad is it?!" but when he kept on smiling and running, i thought it wouldn't be that bad and started having fun again. :boxed: i'm actually feeling a bit guilty now for enjoying the last 4 songs of the show. though i know i shouldn't, as it was his own choice not to let ppl see how bad he felt.

agree, i worry too and hope he gets some rest.

from what i heard from fanny (they asked him in baden-baden), it's a ligament rupture. though i think in oakland he said something about torn tendons... or is that the same? :blink: (my knowledge of english medical terms doesn't go that much into detail... :naughty:) well, whatever, i think it'll take a while to heal, especially since he keeps on running+jumping during the shows. that boot can be blown up with air (that's also something the radio presenter in baden-baden told us) to cushion the bumping, but he still needs painkillers, so that can't be good! i mean, it's fantastic of him that he doesn't want to cancel the shows, but why doesn't he just do acoustic shows at the piano (or at least mostly at the piano if he can't manage to sit still for an hour) instead?!

about the cancelling i'm also wondering... did he have a different perspective on it in 2007 or did he feel even worse than he does now?! :shocked: maybe he really had a pneumonia back then, i know there was this rumour but we didn't believe it as he kept on doing some of the shows and left out others. :dunno:

and hathor, no, he didn't meet fans after the gig in LA, but he did in oakland one day later. :wink2:

would be fab to get a detailled translation of that french interview (esp. the first question), would love to know what exactly he said. :wink2:

you know i'm bad for a translation,wait someone welse sorry;but he exactly said on the interview(i think he learn the world in french before,because he know it would be a random question ) :

"tendons déchirés",so torn tendon ;)

it took me months with a bonded tutor to recover from a distortion, i wonder how long will it take for a torn tendon, when sometimes an operation is needed.

i guess maybe he was not realizing how much damage he was doing to his foot going on with the gig in LA, part due to professionality and part due to ignorance about the fact.

it took me months with a bonded tutor to recover from a distortion, i wonder how long will it take for a torn tendon, when sometimes an operation is needed.

i guess maybe he was not realizing how much damage he was doing to his foot going on with the gig in LA, part due to professionality and part due to ignorance about the fact.

12 to 16 weeks,robie ;)

http://www.anmsr.asso.fr/anmsr00/36Cica/cicadup.html

i think he knows and he has staff(medical staff)who warning him,but he just want to be in touch in this important moment of his carrier i think;poor man,it's never moment to have injury.....

when i saw him on baden baden,i feel very terrified sometime because i didn't want him jumping or always cross the stage to see lot of people,i prefer him just be more patient;i don't know how to explain you this...but i don't want him to have more problem because he only take care of us:shocked:

After seeing him do the encore in a tensor bandage I was feeling really shaken up that night, actually. I couldn't sleep until like 3 a.m. Then in the Oakland queue I was feeling like an idiot for being so shaken up by an injury that, while obviously painful, wasn't that serious. And had happened to someone I don't even "know". :freak:

I was having trouble sleeping too, thinking about it. It was the same when he was sick at Brixton. I think it goes beyond the mother hen thing. You can't help but feel guilty because he's suffering in order to perform for us. I mean I know he is driven for other reasons, but we're still benefiting from it and I'd rather just see him take care of himself.

I can't imagine he could sing (and dance!) with a torn tendon and then receive fans after the gig (he did it, right?)

We didn't see him after the gig. We had been given aftershow passes before his injury, but he was in too much pain and didn't want fans to see him like that.

I think the story at the time was that doctors had told him he'd damage his voice if he didn't stop.

I was having trouble sleeping too, thinking about it. It was the same when he was sick at Brixton. I think it goes beyond the mother hen thing. You can't help but feel guilty because he's suffering in order to perform for us. I mean I know he is driven for other reasons, but we're still benefiting from it and I'd rather just see him take care of himself.

agree.

I think the story at the time was that doctors had told him he'd damage his voice if he didn't stop.

yeah that was about the 2 london gigs, but i was talking about the festivals in summer... i think for one of those cancelled festivals the official reason given (from the festival ppl) was that he had pneumonia. but a few days later he was on stage again, so we didn't believe it.

i asked mariposa on twitter to translate the first question of the interview for us, here's what she tweeted:

The girl wants to know if Mika's sprain (the interviewer says "entorse") is better and if it doesn’t bug him on stage.Then Mika laughs and says that they actually didn’t wanna show his big foot on tv :)

The interviewer then compliments him on it and says that it suits him ^^ Mika: Oui. Merci. That’s nice, but it isn’t true.

girl: Does it hurt?

Mika: Yes, it does. But it’s ok. I have torn my ligaments.

girl: That does hurt!

Mika: during a gig in LA, it was 4 songs before the end of the gig. It happened while jumping – and then–well, in fact it was because I wasn’t wearing shoes. I twisted my foot and I had to vomit next to the stage because it hurt so much.

interviewer: It hurt so much?

Mika: Yeah, I couldn’t control it. But then I went back on stage and finished the gig.

interviewer: you finished the gig?!

Mika: Yes.

interviewer: You need to get well soon before the next tour starts.

Mika: Oui.

so there we have it. i knew it couldn't be good that he wasn't wearing shoes! it was quite cold in that venue due to the air conditioning, i was wondering all the time whether he didn't have cold feet, and maybe he did, and if the muscles etc. aren't warm, you can get hurt more easily. :boxed:

anyway, many thanx to mariposa for the translation! :huglove:

i asked mariposa on twitter to translate the first question of the interview for us, here's what she tweeted:

The girl wants to know if Mika's sprain (the interviewer says "entorse") is better and if it doesn’t bug him on stage.Then Mika laughs and says that they actually didn’t wanna show his big foot on tv :)

The interviewer then compliments him on it and says that it suits him ^^ Mika: Oui. Merci. That’s nice, but it isn’t true.

girl: Does it hurt?

Mika: Yes, it does. But it’s ok. I have torn my ligaments.

girl: That does hurt!

Mika: during a gig in LA, it was 4 songs before the end of the gig. It happened while jumping – and then–well, in fact it was because I wasn’t wearing shoes. I twisted my foot and I had to vomit next to the stage because it hurt so much.

interviewer: It hurt so much?

Mika: Yeah, I couldn’t control it. But then I went back on stage and finished the gig.

interviewer: you finished the gig?!

Mika: Yes.

interviewer: You need to get well soon before the next tour starts.

Mika: Oui.

so there we have it. i knew it couldn't be good that he wasn't wearing shoes! it was quite cold in that venue due to the air conditioning, i was wondering all the time whether he didn't have cold feet, and maybe he did, and if the muscles etc. aren't warm, you can get hurt more easily. :boxed:

anyway, many thanx to mariposa for the translation! :huglove:

Thanks for sharing the translation, and thanks to Mariposa for translating!

You know, I agree that him being barefoot probably contributed to the injury. I mean, Mika jumping around like a crazy person probably wasn't good either, but that's standard Mika. :naughty:

And it's such a shame, because he dances so well when barefoot. He looks so good doing it! But at the same time, it can't be good for his ankles - which obviously it wasn't, hence the injury.

I still can't believe he came out and did a three song encore. He could have just done GK and left. Like everyone else, I don't know whether to admire his dedication, or tell him off for being so stupid. :original:

Ok, tried to do a complete translation of the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnV9Pp1V4&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: just seen the 2 comments above me. Thank you, girls.

I know I probably haven't translated it as if a native speaker would have. But I guess it's still understandable.

I’ll be using “I” for the interviewer and “M” for Mika

G: We’ve got questions from the internet users, many questions.

M: Ok.

G: We start with (name ?), 23 years old living in Britanny. “I wanted to know if Mika’s sprain is better and if it doesn’t bug him too much on stage.” (The French word used is “entorse”)

M: Yeah. (laughs)

G: She noticed it.

M: Actually, I made a small deal today with France2. I told them to please not show my big foot (shows it).

G: Well, you saw that she noticed it anyway. It actually suits you.

M: Oui. Merci. That’s nice, but it’s not true.

G: Does it hurt?

M: Yes, it does. But it’s ok. I have torn my ligaments.

G: Now that really hurts!

M: I was during a gig in LA. It was 4 songs before the end of the gig. It happened while I was jumping – and then–well, in fact it was because I wasn’t wearing shoes. That’s what happened. I twisted my foot and I had to vomit next to the stage because it hurt so much.

G: It hurt so much?

M: Yeah, I couldn’t control it. But then I went back on stage and finished the gig.

G: After that you continued singing and finished the gig?!

M: Yes.

G: You need to get well before the next tour starts.

M: Oui.

G: Now, this is Augustin, 12 years old, a young viewer. He lives in St Etienne. (He asks) Could you tell me why your song is called “We are golden?”

M: We are golden? Ah, it means in French ahm…

G: Nous sommes en or.

M : On est fait de l’or.

G : On est fait de l’or.

M : On est fait d’or. …de l’or, yeah.

G : On est fait d’or.

M : Ahm, and the idea is, well it’s about my teenage years, about teenage years in general, it’s about…..when I was 17 years old no matter what was going on in my life – I really had some horrible moments at school and so on – it was music that made me feel like I was worth something. And that’s where I got this idea from. And I was thinking about what kind of graffiti I would be writing on the bathroom wall if I returned to school. What would I write? And I thought it would be: “I’m not what you think I am – I am made of gold!” And I said: Well, that’s already a great first idea for a song.

G: For a song and for an album.

M: And that's how it started.

G: Aurélie, 27 years, who’s living in Orleans asks: Do you feel more inspired to write and compose (a song) when you’re sad or when you’re happy?

M: Both. I think that what I’m doing very often is that I take very sad subjects or quite hard words/lyrics, and at times completely depressing and desperate, and even for example the words of “We are golden” are quite…

G: ...dark

M: Yeah, they don’t have a lot of hope. But I’m putting these with music that is full of hope and full of happiness. I really like this combination between dark and very colourful and vivid things. There’s a lot of magic between the contrasts.

G: Merci beaucoup, Mika.

M: Thank you.

G: Thank you very much for being our guest in this studio on the 13:00 news. And we wish you a very good tour…

G: ..and much more/and all the best for everything else as well.

M: Thank you very much.

Edited by mariposa

Ok, tried to do a complete translation of the interview.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1ZnV9Pp1V4&feature=player_embedded

EDIT: just seen the 2 comments above me. Thank you, girls.

I know I probably haven't translated it as if a native speaker would have. But I guess it's still understandable.

I’ll be using “I” for the interviewer and “M” for Mika

G: We’ve got questions from the internet users, many questions.

M: Ok.

G: We start with (name ?), 23 years old living in Britanny. “I wanted to know if Mika’s sprain is better and if it doesn’t bug him too much on stage.” (The French word used is “entorse”)

M: Yeah. (laughs)

G: She noticed it.

M: Actually, I made a small deal today with France2. I told them to please not show my big foot (shows it).

G: Well, you saw that she noticed it anyway. It actually suits you.

M: Oui. Merci. That’s nice, but it’s not true.

G: Does it hurt?

M: Yes, it does. But it’s ok. I have torn my ligaments.

G: Now that really hurts!

M: I was during a gig in LA. It was 4 songs before the end of the gig. It happened while I was jumping – and then–well, in fact it was because I wasn’t wearing shoes. That’s what happened. I twisted my foot and I had to vomit next to the stage because it hurt so much.

G: It hurt so much?

M: Yeah, I couldn’t control it. But then I went back on stage and finished the gig.

G: After that you continued singing and finished the gig?!

M: Yes.

G: You need to get well before the next tour starts.

M: Oui.

G: Now, this is Augustin, 12 years old, a young viewer. He lives in St Etienne. (He asks) Could you tell me why your song is called “We are golden?”

M: We are golden? Ah, it means in French ahm…

G: Nous sommes en or.

M : On est fait de l’or.

G : On est fait de l’or.

M : On est fait d’or. …de l’or, yeah.

G : On est fait d’or.

M : Ahm, and the idea is, well it’s about my teenage years, about teenage years in general, it’s about…..when I was 17 years old no matter what was going on in my life – I really had some horrible moments at school and so on – it was music that made me feel like I was worth something. And that’s where I got this idea from. And I was thinking about what kind of graffiti I would be writing on the bathroom wall if I returned to school. What would I write? And I thought it would be: “I’m not what you think I am – I am made of gold!” And I said: Well, that’s already a great first idea for a song.

G: For a song and for an album.

M: And that's how it started.

G: Aurélie, 27 years, who’s living in Orleans asks: Do you feel more inspired to write and compose (a song) when you’re sad or when you’re happy?

M: Both. I think that what I’m doing very often is that I take very sad subjects or quite hard words/lyrics, and at times completely depressing and desperate, and even for example the words of “We are golden” are quite…

G: ...dark

M: Yeah, they don’t have a lot of hope. But I’m putting these with music that is full of hope and full of happiness. I really like this combination between dark and very colourful and vivid things. There’s a lot of magic between the contrasts.

G: Merci beaucoup, Mika.

G: Thank you very much for being our guest in this studio on the 13:00 news. And we wish you a very good tour…

G: ..and much more/and all the best for everything else as well.

M: Thank you very much.

i think the girl who asked the first question is french deb on this forum :teehee: someone correct me if i'm wrong :blush-anim-cl: