Stephen Gately's final haunting lyrics in new Boyzone 'grief' video

nico_collard

I know it's about Boyzone, but it mentions Mika...

http://www.metro.co.uk/metrolife/music/809425-stephen-gatelys-final-haunting-lyrics-in-new-boyzone-grief-video

Stephen Gately's final haunting lyrics in new Boyzone 'grief' video

Stephen Gately today makes his musical comeback from the grave when Boyzone release their first single since the star’s shock death in Spain last October.

The popular Irish star, voted by Metro readers the Celeb of the Year for 2009, will be heard on Gave It All Away, singing the haunting lyrics: ‘I will learn to live before I die.’

The song, in collaboration with chart fop Mika, will debut throughout the day on Sky News and is touted as a touching honour to Gately by his fellow bandmates.

Yesterday, Keith Duffy said it would be a fitting tribute to Gately if the song was a hit.

‘It’s a very special song for all of us, it’s a song with a great story behind it,’ he told Magic 105.4FM.

‘But the most important thing is that we have it recorded for ourselves so that on those sad and lonely days we can listen to it – I don’t know if it will cheer us up, it will probably make us more sad but it will be great just to hear his voice,’ he added.

The band directed the video themselves, having been given free rein by their record label. Gately was found dead in his Majorcan flat after a night out with partner Andy Cowles and a male friend.

Ummmmmmm.... didn't Mika write it himself and give it to them? :blink:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ummmmmmm.... didn't Mika write it himself and give it to them? :blink:

yes, they simply chose it from a 'catalogue' or in a similar way. I doubt they ever even met before the LA gig last year. And even then it was only Ronan and Mika I think.

I expect to read a lot of misinformation in the next couple of months.. :cool:

You don't think the possibilty exists that the ambiguous statement might be the responsibility of the writer Andrei Harmsworth?

The little I have seen & read, over the last few days, Boyzone have been polite, flattering & grateful to Mika.

You don't think the possibilty exists that the ambiguous statement might be the responsibility of the writer Andrei Harmsworth?

Yes, it must be just the writer's "irresponsible" writing.. I mean, you have to check all the key facts if you do this kind of journalism for a living... :cool: (and it wouldn't have taken long since the correct information was all over the media)

Do you really think so? Do they write any of their songs anyway?

Yes they do. I checked last night:teehee:

I did know that Ronan writes songs, so I checked who wrote the songs I think are good ones... and to my (not so real) surprise, all the Boyzone and Ronan solo songs that I like were actually written by other people - and around half of them are cover versions in the first place.

So I don't think anyone in the business who reads this article thinks that the song was co-written by Boyzone, although Ronan does write some catchy tunes. I remember it was either last year or the year before that the Danish entry for Eurovision sounded just like a Boyzone song and it turned out to have been written by Ronan.

Yes, it must be just the writer's "irresponsible" writing.. I mean, you have to check all the key facts if you do this kind of journalism for a living... :cool: (and it wouldn't have taken long since the correct information was all over the media)

Yes they do. I checked last night:teehee:

I did know that Ronan writes songs, so I checked who wrote the songs I think are good ones... and to my (not so real) surprise, all the Boyzone and Ronan solo songs that I like were actually written by other people - and around half of them are cover versions in the first place.So I don't think anyone in the business who reads this article thinks that the song was co-written by Boyzone, although Ronan does write some catchy tunes. I remember it was either last year or the year before that the Danish entry for Eurovision sounded just like a Boyzone song and it turned out to have been written by Ronan.

I didn't know that Ronan wrote some, I don't think. Probably because the ones I know best (quite a few as well) are cover versions or written by someone else.

They are very different to Mika in that respect where most of what he has recorded has been self penned or co written.

I didn't know that Ronan wrote some, I don't think. Probably because the ones I know best (quite a few as well) are cover versions or written by someone else.

They are very different to Mika in that respect where most of what he has recorded has been self penned or co written.

Everyone thinks that "When You Say Nothing At All" was a new song when Ronan released it but it was actually written by 2 men, is originally a country song and was first released by a man named Keith in 1988, then Alison Krauss in 1994 and then Ronan Keating in 1999.

Everyone thinks that "When You Say Nothing At All" was a new song when Ronan released it but it was actually written by 2 men, is originally a country song and was first released by a man named Keith in 1988, then Alison Krauss in 1994 and then Ronan Keating in 1999.

Tell me! I have been having arguments with younger friends over Boyzone songs for years.

They never realised that half of their songs were covers and sometimes covers of covers.:naughty:

And I always think that I sound like my dad sounded when I was a kid, saying "the original was better, don't pop stars these days have any initiative" :naughty:

Tell me! I have been having arguments with younger friends over Boyzone songs for years.

They never realised that half of their songs were covers and sometimes covers of covers.:naughty:

And I always think that I sound like my dad sounded when I was a kid, saying "the orignal was better, don't pop stars these days have any initiative" :naughty:

:aah: It's the same with Westlife to be honest...

I think if anyone covered Grace Kelly we'd all say the original was better too lol :teehee:

The word "collaboration" is certainly misleading but it's not entirely incorrect. Mika didn't make this track. It's not his vocals or his production. So Mika did some of the work and Boyzone did the rest. It's a stretch to call that a collaboration since they probably weren't working on either parts together, but whatever. :naughty:

The little I have seen & read, over the last few days, Boyzone have been polite, flattering & grateful to Mika.

Yes I agree with you. I saw an interview a while back with Ronan, where he deffinately said Mika wrote the song. So I wouldn't be quick to blame Boyzone for the misinformation, as they have certainly credited Mika as the song's composer.

Apparently (according to credits) the all wrote "So Good" together..

:dunno: ..or they just accidentally forgot to add Martin Brannigan's name..:naughty:

:aah: It's the same with Westlife to be honest...

of course it is. They are Boyzone Chapter 2.:mf_rosetinted:

Does Ronan still manage them?

Apparently (according to credits) the all wrote "So Good" together..

:dunno: ..or they just accidentally forgot to add Martin Brannigan's name..:naughty:

of course it is. They are Boyzone Chapter 2.:mf_rosetinted:

Does Ronan still manage them?

I didn't even know Ronan managed them, I thought it was Louis Walsh! :lmfao:

Ronan actually writes quite a few songs actually if you look at the ASCAP.Com site which lists songs, he has co-written quite a few over 100 songs. Unfortunatly he doesn't always get to release them as singles. The most famous song he co-wrote was a song called The Long Goodbye which was recorded by the American country duo Brooks and Dunn. They took the song to number 1 in the USA country charts and clocked up over 1 million plays and it won an award. Ronan later recorded the song himself. The song that Ronan co-wrote for Denmark Eurovision entry was number 1 in Denmark, and then recorded again by a Dutch artist who inturn took it to number 1 Holland. It has now been recorded by a South African to be released sometime later this year. Some of his songs have been recorded by others. Jo Omeara (S-Club) used one of his songs on her album and Dina Carrol recorded one too and there have been many others over the years.

Going back to GIAA Mika and Boyzone/Ronan are both on Universal so the A&R dept would be aware of all published songs by their artists so its not really to surprising that they would look to their own acts to find songs for their other acts on their lables. At the end of the day if this is a big hit, it will be good for Mika too, as the writer his royalties will be almost as high as if he had recorded it himself, and the publicity will do him no harm either.:wink2:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1567440&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

Ronan actually writes quite a few songs actually if you look at the ASCAP.Com site which lists songs, he has co-written quite a few over 100 songs. Unfortunatly he doesn't always get to release them as singles. The most famous song he co-wrote was a song called The Long Goodbye which was recorded by the American country duo Brooks and Dunn. They took the song to number 1 in the USA country charts and clocked up over 1 million plays and it won an award. Ronan later recorded the song himself. The song that Ronan co-wrote for Denmark Eurovision entry was number 1 in Denmark, and then recorded again by a Dutch artist who inturn took it to number 1 Holland. It has now been recorded by a South African to be released sometime later this year. Some of his songs have been recorded by others. Jo Omeara (S-Club) used one of his songs on her album and Dina Carrol recorded one too and there have been many others over the years.

Going back to GIAA Mika and Boyzone/Ronan are both on Universal so the A&R dept would be aware of all published songs by their artists so its not really to surprising that they would look to their own acts to find songs for their other acts on their lables. At the end of the day if this is a big hit, it will be good for Mika too, as the writer his royalties will be almost as high as if he had recorded it himself, and the publicity will do him no harm either.:wink2:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1567440&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

Hi :bye:

that's a lot of co-writing :biggrin2: Does he always co-write with the same person, oris it with lots of different people?

Archived