Stephen Gately's final haunting lyrics in new Boyzone 'grief' video

nico_collard

Hi :bye:

that's a lot of co-writing :biggrin2: Does he always co-write with the same person, oris it with lots of different people?

Well co-writing is not so bad at all! For example, I could write lyrics, in fact the poem I submitted for the Christmas contest on this site, was actually written as lyrics for a tune I know. But I can't write tunes to save my life!

So maybe Ronan is someone who either writes lyrics, or tunes. Either way, that's very good.

Actually we're very lucky with GIAA, because usually when someone records a song, the songwrite isn't really mentioned, unless it's someone like Paul McCartney or Elton John. But with GIAA, everyone knows Mika wrote it! That is so great.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ronan actually writes quite a few songs actually if you look at the ASCAP.Com site which lists songs, he has co-written quite a few over 100 songs. Unfortunatly he doesn't always get to release them as singles. The most famous song he co-wrote was a song called The Long Goodbye which was recorded by the American country duo Brooks and Dunn. They took the song to number 1 in the USA country charts and clocked up over 1 million plays and it won an award. Ronan later recorded the song himself. The song that Ronan co-wrote for Denmark Eurovision entry was number 1 in Denmark, and then recorded again by a Dutch artist who inturn took it to number 1 Holland. It has now been recorded by a South African to be released sometime later this year. Some of his songs have been recorded by others. Jo Omeara (S-Club) used one of his songs on her album and Dina Carrol recorded one too and there have been many others over the years.

Going back to GIAA Mika and Boyzone/Ronan are both on Universal so the A&R dept would be aware of all published songs by their artists so its not really to surprising that they would look to their own acts to find songs for their other acts on their lables. At the end of the day if this is a big hit, it will be good for Mika too, as the writer his royalties will be almost as high as if he had recorded it himself, and the publicity will do him no harm either.:wink2:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1567440&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

No wonder why we didn't know this, all his stuff has been played overseas lol. Thanks for clarifying!

Well co-writing is not so bad at all! For example, I could write lyrics, in fact the poem I submitted for the Christmas contest on this site, was actually written as lyrics for a tune I know. But I can't write tunes to save my life!

So maybe Ronan is someone who either writes lyrics, or tunes. Either way, that's very good.

Actually we're very lucky with GIAA, because usually when someone records a song, the songwrite isn't really mentioned, unless it's someone like Paul McCartney or Elton John. But with GIAA, everyone knows Mika wrote it! That is so great.

I wasn't criticising - I just wanted to know more about how he worked, who he worked with etc. It would be interesting to know if he is a lyrics or tune man, or a mix of both :thumb_yello:

I wasn't criticising - I just wanted to know more about how he worked, who he worked with etc. It would be interesting to know if he is a lyrics or tune man, or a mix of both :thumb_yello:

It's okay. I didn't think you were criticising. I was just saying that sometimes people are good at one aspect of songwriting, and not the other part.

I didn't actually know that Ronan had collaborated with people to write songs. It's good to know that.

@Boyzone girl

Hi! Thank you for all the clarifications. I really appreciate you explained it all and thank you for reminding us of the Universal connection...:thumb_yello:

I was wondering where Boyzone received the song in the first place and never questioned of there would ever be a royalty problem. Obviously, if it was via the record company, the can't have thought there'd be a problem. Now it is solved, it 's OK.

However, I must add that some songwriters do not necessarily want their songs recorded by others or by particular performers. They might even object to the way some songs are recorded as they wanted the song to sound differently ... I am not saying that was the case in 2007 - no-one knows that. I must admit I didn't like the arrangements first (on a poorer quality recording I heard first) but the proper recording sounds fine. :thumb_yello:

I think most of us on MFC like it, too and I am absolutely sure neither the songwriter nor the performers or arrangers should regret anything.

I hope you will post more, I like the songwriting topic:teehee:

that's a lot of co-writing :biggrin2: Does he always co-write with the same person, oris it with lots of different people?

It is different people, but on their albums (BZ and Ronan solo) it was usually particular people for each album, as far as I could conclude from the info on wiki that I found.

That Eurovision entry was co-written by 2 well-known Scandinavian songwriters (most likely Swedish but they could be Danish, too)

As a last point and on topic but not necessarily on Boyzone I'd like to add that I am sure you find hundreds of songs under Madonna, Britney and Avril Lavigne as well - it does not necessarily mean that they contributed that much at all... It's like Careless Whisper written by George Michael and Andrew Ridgely - the latter one writing 'and' and 'the' :naughty:

@Boyzone girl

Hi! Thank you for all the clarifications. I really appreciate you explained it all and thank you for reminding us of the Universal connection...:thumb_yello:

I was wondering where Boyzone received the song in the first place and never questioned of there would ever be a royalty problem. Obviously, if it was via the record company, the can't have thought there'd be a problem. Now it is solved, it 's OK.

However, I must add that some songwriters do not necessarily want their songs recorded by others or by particular performers. They might even object to the way some songs are recorded as they wanted the song to sound differently ... I am not saying that was the case in 2007 - no-one knows that. I must admit I didn't like the arrangements first (on a poorer quality recording I heard first) but the proper recording sounds fine. :thumb_yello:

I think most of us on MFC like it, too and I am absolutely sure neither the songwriter nor the performers or arrangers should regret anything.

I hope you will post more, I like the songwriting topic:teehee:

It is different people, but on their albums (BZ and Ronan solo) it was usually particular people for each album, as far as I could conclude from the info on wiki that I found.

That Eurovision entry was co-written by 2 well-known Scandinavian songwriters (most likely Swedish but they could be Danish, too)

As a last point and on topic but not necessarily on Boyzone I'd like to add that I am sure you find hundreds of songs under Madonna, Britney and Avril Lavigne as well - it does not necessarily mean that they contributed that much at all... It's like Careless Whisper written by George Michael and Andrew Ridgely - the latter one writing 'and' and 'the' :naughty:

I know some "artists" wangle song-writing "vanity" credits by adding odd small changes to songs - so I'm always a bit wary of songwriting claims.

I think Boyzone Girl's post is interesting, because it's clear RK is writing & having success with a wide range of other artists & styles and geographical markets. So he is obviously not just getting "vanity" credits :thumb_yello:

Doesn't Bernie Taupin write the lyrics while Elton John writes the music?

You don't think the possibilty exists that the ambiguous statement might be the responsibility of the writer Andrei Harmsworth?

The little I have seen & read, over the last few days, Boyzone have been polite, flattering & grateful to Mika.

I know that how I'm going to say the following is going to sound rude, but it's not supposed to be...

Well actually, I do think it's cause of what the joournalist wrote... I've seen enough stuff on Boyzone over hte past few days to know full well that they've been really polite to and about Mika and they're not about to take his song and claim they wrote it...

It's really not supposed to sound rude or bitchy...

The word "Fop" came up again, WTF DOES IT MEAN?? :roftl:

I thought it was an English word...

Yes I agree with you. I saw an interview a while back with Ronan, where he deffinately said Mika wrote the song. So I wouldn't be quick to blame Boyzone for the misinformation, as they have certainly credited Mika as the song's composer.

I never said I did... as I said to Kodes, I knew that and was simply commenting on how it was stated in the article that it was written in collaboration with Mika...

Or am I assuming that you think I'm wrong? :dunno:

Ronan actually writes quite a few songs actually if you look at the ASCAP.Com site which lists songs, he has co-written quite a few over 100 songs. Unfortunatly he doesn't always get to release them as singles. The most famous song he co-wrote was a song called The Long Goodbye which was recorded by the American country duo Brooks and Dunn. They took the song to number 1 in the USA country charts and clocked up over 1 million plays and it won an award. Ronan later recorded the song himself. The song that Ronan co-wrote for Denmark Eurovision entry was number 1 in Denmark, and then recorded again by a Dutch artist who inturn took it to number 1 Holland. It has now been recorded by a South African to be released sometime later this year. Some of his songs have been recorded by others. Jo Omeara (S-Club) used one of his songs on her album and Dina Carrol recorded one too and there have been many others over the years.

Going back to GIAA Mika and Boyzone/Ronan are both on Universal so the A&R dept would be aware of all published songs by their artists so its not really to surprising that they would look to their own acts to find songs for their other acts on their lables. At the end of the day if this is a big hit, it will be good for Mika too, as the writer his royalties will be almost as high as if he had recorded it himself, and the publicity will do him no harm either.:wink2:

http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300&mode=results&searchstr=1567440&search_in=c&search_type=exact&search_det=t,s,w,p,b,v&results_pp=20&start=1

Interesting... thanks for that!

Regardless of who (co) wrote it, I don't like the song. Am I the only one here who doesn't?

I don't mind it :dunno:..

I personally think Boyzone's version is better than Mika's...

Having said that, I won't say it's my favourite song of all time either...

I don't mind it :dunno:..

Having said that, I won't say it's my favourite song or all time either...

There are 2 versions? I only heard Boyzone's. And if that's already the better one... :teehee:.

I know that how I'm going to say the following is going to sound rude, but it's not supposed to be...

Well actually, I do think it's cause of what the joournalist wrote... I've seen enough stuff on Boyzone over hte past few days to know full well that they've been really polite to and about Mika and they're not about to take his song and claim they wrote it...

It's really not supposed to sound rude or bitchy...

I never said I did... as I said to Kodes, I knew that and was simply commenting on how it was stated in the article that it was written in collaboration with Mika...

Or am I assuming that you think I'm wrong? :dunno:

Interesting... thanks for that!

In my reply, I was agreeing with what Kodes said, not disagreeing with you.

Mika does not have a 'version'.

He might have recorded a demo with the melody and the lyrics. We will never know what Mika's version would have sounded like, had it been arranged the way he would have wanted to.

However, I really don't think he ever wanted to record this song for himself.

It is completely the opposite of what Grace Kelly was all about. :cool:

He might have just wanted to prove at one point in time that he could write songs like GIAA, too. :dunno: And of course he can.

He might have recorded a demo with the melody and the lyrics. We will never know what Mika's version would have sounded like, had it been arranged the way he would have wanted to.

He might have just wanted to prove at one point in time that he could write songs like GIAA, too. :dunno: And of course he can.

Yes exactly. I'm sure that if Mika had intended to release the song himself, he'd have gone into the studio and created a more commercial-sounding, polished version I'm sure.

And yup, he can definitely write boyband songs. Well enough that he could probably quit recording himself and retire comfortably to Eel Pie Island just on his songwriter royalties.

But you'd never do that... right Mika? :mf_rosetinted:

You're very right there, well said. Sorry that I'm not contributing anything else to the chat but essentially I just had to quote you here.

The word "Fop" came up again, WTF DOES IT MEAN?? :roftl:

Off topic - yes fop is an English word, was used to describe someone preoccupied with their appearance and being fashionable - usually a bit effeminate too - so it is a dig at Mika :sneaky2:

Archived