WORLD'S HIS STAGE - The Mirror

superstar

WORLD'S HIS STAGE;

'NON NATIONAL' MIKA IS AT HOME WHEREVER HIS MUSICAL TALENTS TAKE HIM.. AS HE PREPARES TO WOE IRISH FANS AT OLYMPIA

by Claire Brennan

Unless you have been living under a giant soundproof rock for the lastthree years you've probably heard of the one-man musical wonder thatis Mika. The self-proclaimed "marmite" of the music industry has singlehandedly divided the nation with his ultra-flamboyant style andinsanely catchy lyrics.

But love him or hate him you've got to give the guy his dues. He's managed to sell eight million records and is about to embark on a sell-out tour of Europe. Not bad work for a 26-year-old. Mika is the first to admit that he owes much of his success his eclectic upbringing. In fact his childhood was one of constant change.

One of five children, Mika was born Michael Penniman in Beirut to a Lebanese mother and an American father. The outbreak of the country's civil war forced the family to flee their home and move to Paris.

Mika and his siblings adopted the language and attempted to make thecity their own. But it wasn't long before the Pennimans were on the road again,eventually settling in London. Not even Mika's accent can define his true heritage. At times he sounds like the perfect English gent before switching to something a little more exotic.

He told The Beat: "I don't really have a nationality or a hometown. "I have my music and I can settle there. When I perform the stage becomes my home."

Mika brings his travelling abode to Dublin's Olympia on February 15.

He promises the gig will represent his flamboyant and amorous nature. Ticket holders should expect to be bombarded with plenty of Mika's trademark razzle dazzle.

He added: "We are pretty quiet behind stage before the show starts. I guess we try to conserve all of our energy.

"We want to take the audience somewhere, where they can forget about the outside world and just have fun."

Despite having just two albums under his belt Mika has a vast range to chart hits to chose from when he pens his concert set list. His debut Grace Kelly exploded onto the music scene back in 2007 in ablaze of camp pop perfection.

Since then his first album Life in Cartoon Motion and his recent follow up, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, have sold almost eight million copies worldwide. Next week he'll be crossing his fingers and toes as battles it out at the Brit Awards.

He's nominated in the Best Male Artist category. But will one of the UK's biggest music accolades finally prove he's a national treasure? Probably not...He said: "No matter how long I live in London I will never be considered as one of their own. "That's just the way it is. It's a good job I am a gypsy because otherwise it would bother me.

"I believe that you take something for every experience in your life including childhood. "So even though I'll never be considered English, I wouldn't change it."

As with any award show the winner is never a given. Mika faces stiff competition from Paolo Nutini, Dizzee Rascal, Calvin Harris and a reformed Robbie Williams. However, he insists there's no rivalry.

Mika enjoys working with other artists and recently recorded Simon Cowell's (above) charity single, Everybody Hurts - Help Haiti Now. The track is sure to raise thousands for the three million people displaced by last month's devastating quake.

Mika is part of an all-star line-up but has more reason than most tolend his distinctive vocals to the record.

He said: "I grew up in France and have a lot of friends that live in Haiti. I was there a couple of years ago for a wedding. "I couldn't believe it when I heard what happened. I was honoured to take part in the charity single.

"We all recorded our vocals separately so there's no big chorus line like there is with Band Aid. It's just very simple."

Mika also admits that he is a "sucker for a melody" and spends much ofhis time writing for other artists. He penned Boyzone's current single Gave It All Away almost two years ago.

The track didn't feature on the band's comeback album because of a"publishing dispute". Mika was accused of holding back the track because he thought the boyband's version was "cheesy".

But Stephen Gately's tragic death last October, sparked a change of heart and he agreed to let Ronan and the boys release the track as a tribute to their band mate. The star said the song, which opens with Gately, inset, singing "I'll learn to live before I die", has a very different meaning for him."

It was in the pipeline for a couple of years but it has an altogether different significance now. It's very scary hearing him sing those words. It's arresting.

He was an outsider and he had a very hard life until he found music and success."

Gately's grit and determination certainly struck a chord with Mika. Behind the 100 watt grin and L'oreal curls is a young man whose musi cbecame his sanctuary at an early age.

He struggled to fit in at school - continually branded "the new boy". His sexuality has always remained a closely guarded secret. He insists it's nobody's business but his own.

This adds a little mystery to a singer who otherwise reads like an open book. What you see is what you get - and he's not going to try to be anything else.

The Mirror

February 5, 2010 Friday

Eire Edition

singer-Mika7.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest cliffpat
Shouldn't that be "WOO" in the headline?

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

haha! guess it just depends on people's opinion of him. hahaha.

it's a really well done article. thank you for posting it!

thanks for posting!

an interesting read )))

lol, +5 for '100 watt grin and L'oreal curls'

Because he's worth it, ha ha!!!

Sorry, seriously now, good article, T4P ;-)

Archived