REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika @ Annexet Stockholm, Sweden: MARCH 18 2010

Droopsy

I really enjoyed the support act. I forgot their name but I did like them. I think the intro of Mika's new(ish) show is really nice. Sunshine did a good job, I think he enjoys the acting.

When Mika came on stage, strangely the sight didn't hit me as usual. I caught myself thinking: "Yes, that's him. I can confirm that." Don't get me wrong. He was on fire. Brilliant, his amazing fantastic stage self, as usual. It was really so nice to see him again. To hear him again. Nothing compared to that first hand experience, but still, this time it took a while. 'Big Girl' never really worked for me, so I wouldn't mind to see that one replaced sometime by something else.

But every single one of the following songs (can't remember what came when) reminded me of why I do queues and why I do crowds. With 'I see you' at the very latest he so got me back. :bow:

I hope he'll never stop the umbrellas. Peter Pan and Mary Poppins with a twist, but Mika.

Over my shoulder was really special. I didn't know he did it in Oslo befrore, so I was taken by surprise about that one. Even though it meant there would be no PUOTF that night.

He also did Happy Ending, and... did I get that right? He hadn't played it for a year and a half? Not quite sure about that...

It was good to see the girls I missed in the queue up on stage - even though I didn't really recognize any of 100%. It was great to see they got that opportunity and enjoyed it. :huglove:

I must admit, when I read those disappointed tweets about a missing 'Toches You' I didn't really get it. I do get it now.

And the dustbin performance is just great! I was delighted to see Gray Skelly back with her right arm back in shape. I was worrying after Amsterdam that they might put her to sleep due to that injury. Jimmy and Imma are such a fantastic enrichment to the whole gang. I hope they'll stay for another (long) while. It's amazing to see how they're all getting better and better and better individually and as a group. How Mika is getting better and better and better and better in everything he does. It's actually unbelievable, as he started out being SO good already. I'm in awe, have I said that already? No? I'm in awe.

About the visual aspects, I must say I am a bit disappointed by the digital notebook background. I think the idea is a good one. But it's not fit to do him and the musical intensity of his show justice IMO. It's just a bit pale and powerless. At least that's how I perceived it. I mean I knew about it as I had seen it in youtube videos before and was not sure about it. Now seeing it for myself, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I would have expected something less digital, more mechanical, more saturated and with a lot more attention to detail. But that's just me.

I LOVED the spotlights on Mika so you can see his silhouette against the curtains. I really love that. I can't say how much. It's a fantastic idea. His shape and poses are so distinctive, sometimes I just watched the shadow instead of the man and just loved it!

Oh and the puppet. It's not ugly yet not nice. He might want to have it pimped a little, maybe by his mum or sisters? Or maybe not.

It was a fantastic gig. I got much much more than my money's worth, as usual. It was so worth the wait and the travel and everything. I'd do it again tomorrow. In fact I will do it again tomorrow.

Oh, and we didn't stick around after the gig as everyone else seemed to be involved and knackered or gone already. :dunno: I think there was no M+G but I don't really know.

It was a great night! Thank you, Mika! :huglove:

I quoted you, because not sure if I remembered to say anything about the supporting act myself. Hm, Ola something... :biggrin2: Really liked them, the singer was lovely, and the supporting act was a positive surprise, imo.

And Mika\s silhuette is a fantastic idea!! I tried to take some pics yesterday, but don\t know if they are any good.

Thanks for writing your report!

Ooops, I posted my report in the wrong thread :doh: I'm such a n00b. :teehee:... so here I'm quoting myself:

Sorry I didn't post or tweet from Sweden, but I wasn't well equipped for that. We didn't really queue early or wait at a back door afterwards, so there wasn't anything interesting to update you about anyway. Well, apart from the obvious:

MIKA was freaking amazing. But it's not a huge surprise for you to hear that from me, right?

As I said, we arrived at about 5 pm at the venue. There was a queue, of course. Mika may be not that huge in Sweden at the moment (or before the gig), but hell, yes, people went to see him. I went to see if I find someone I know while Martin (that's Mr. Violet) got in line. Sadly, I didn't find a single familiar face, but figured it must have been because they were preparing for a special stage experience. I was not sure about Bab, but hell, yes!

I briefly met Sienna, which was really so nice, yet too short.

Sienna, be aware, we'll be back and then you'll show us around your town!

When I got back to our spot, I got number 160. Wow. I didn't think the number system applied after #50 but it did. The girl in front of us literally said: "They said we should write numbers on our hand. I have no clue why, but everyone did it." That was actually cute. She almost apologized for asking us to do so. She didn't seem convinced when I said that it is done at every Mika gig. I heard John had instructed security about it, so they actually checked even my number. I think that's amazing. Of course, in my case it was by no means a matter of front row, but it's nice to see they took it seriously.

Queueing was well organised. We were let in at about 6 pm already (I think), always only a certain number of people at a time. I felt really spoilt for having the opportunity to leave my coat in the cloakroom without having hundreds of people walk past me in the meantime. Then inside they made everyone sit down on the floor at first to avoid the pushing for as long as possible. That was good for the moment, just when everyone finally was allowed to stand up there was such a massive rush to the front that I considered to break out of it and go to the side or to the back even. People stood so close that you could hardly move at all and I really didn't want to imagine how things would go if it had been a really crazy audience. In the end it wasn't. Sure, every crowd has its black sheep. In this case they were blond and very desperate to get in front of me. But well, I learned a while ago that it's up to me whether to enjoy the gig or to let a few b!tches ruin it. Once they had their way I could focus on the pleasant part of the night.

I really enjoyed the support act. I forgot their name but I did like them.

I think the intro of Mika's new(ish) show is really nice. Sunshine did a good job, I think he enjoys the acting.

When Mika came on stage, strangely the sight didn't hit me as usual. I caught myself thinking: "Yes, that's him. I can confirm that." Don't get me wrong. He was on fire. Brilliant, his amazing fantastic stage self, as usual. It was really so nice to see him again. To hear him again. Nothing compared to that first hand experience, but still, this time it took a while. 'Big Girl' never really worked for me, so I wouldn't mind to see that one replaced sometime by something else.

But every single one of the following songs (can't remember what came when) reminded me of why I do queues and why I do crowds. With 'I see you' at the very latest he so got me back.

I hope he'll never stop the umbrellas. Peter Pan and Mary Poppins with a twist, but Mika.

Over my shoulder was really special. I didn't know he did it in Oslo befrore, so I was taken by surprise about that one. Even though it meant there would be no PUOTF that night.

He also did Happy Ending, and... did I get that right? He hadn't played it for a year and a half? Not quite sure about that...

It was good to see the girls I missed in the queue up on stage - even though I didn't really recognize any of 100%. It was great to see they got that opportunity and enjoyed it.

I must admit, when I read those disappointed tweets about a missing 'Toches You' I didn't really get it. I do get it now.

And the dustbin performance is just great! I was delighted to see Gray Skelly back with her right arm back in shape. I was worrying after Amsterdam that they might put her to sleep due to that injury. Jimmy and Imma are such a fantastic enrichment to the whole gang. I hope they'll stay for another (long) while. It's amazing to see how they're all getting better and better and better individually and as a group. How Mika is getting better and better and better and better in everything he does. It's actually unbelievable, as he started out being SO good already. I'm in awe, have I said that already? No? I'm in awe.

About the visual aspects, I must say I am a bit disappointed by the digital notebook background. I think the idea is a good one. But it's not fit to do him and the musical intensity of his show justice IMO. It's just a bit pale and powerless. At least that's how I perceived it. I mean I knew about it as I had seen it in youtube videos before and was not sure about it. Now seeing it for myself, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I would have expected something less digital, more mechanical, more saturated and with a lot more attention to detail. But that's just me.

I LOVED the spotlights on Mika so you can see his silhouette against the curtains. I really love that. I can't say how much. It's a fantastic idea. His shape and poses are so distinctive, sometimes I just watched the shadow instead of the man and just loved it!

Oh and the puppet. It's not ugly yet not nice. He might want to have it pimped a little, maybe by his mum or sisters? Or maybe not.

It was a fantastic gig. I got much much more than my money's worth, as usual. It was so worth the wait and the travel and everything. I'd do it again tomorrow. In fact I will do it again tomorrow.

Oh, and we didn't stick around after the gig as everyone else seemed to be involved and knackered or gone already. I think there was no M+G but I don't really know.

It was a great night! Thank you, Mika!

Oh, and Sara, it was so nice meeting you again. It always makes me feel a bit at home to hang out with you.

Mana, I hope you feel better! I would have loved to chat more, but I guess there will be a next time!

Blue, I'm still so sorry I didn't recognize you rightaway.

Bab, I hope you got some proper sleep!

Touches You:

Happy Ending

In Any Other World

I See You

Dr John

Love Today

I think this is all I have. Could someone please update these to the first post?

Thank you! :huglove:

Oh, those are soo good! :wub2: Thanks a lot! :flowers2:

may i get tour help again? :blush-anim-cl:

so I think pretty alike of the below

Sorry I didn't post or tweet from Sweden, but I wasn't well equipped for that. We didn't really queue early or wait at a back door afterwards, so there wasn't anything interesting to update you about anyway.

I'm sorry I made such a mess i couldn't catch you :aah:

I really enjoyed the support act. I forgot their name but I did like them.

Ola Joyce :boing: I'm still singing Old Fashioned Heartbreak

I think the intro of Mika's new(ish) show is really nice. Sunshine did a good job, I think he enjoys the acting.

http://yfrog.com/b9126530412327882j

maybe I'd like to have those parts cut a bit shorter :pinkbow:

'Big Girl' never really worked for me, so I wouldn't mind to see that one replaced sometime by something else.

PUOTF please :teehee:

But every single one of the following songs (can't remember what came when) reminded me of why I do queues and why I do crowds. With 'I see you' at the very latest he so got me back. :bow:

Jimmy and Imma are such a fantastic enrichment to the whole gang.

Oh, and we didn't stick around after the gig as everyone else seemed to be involved and knackered or gone already. :dunno: I think there was no M+G but I don't really know.

It was a great night! Thank you, Mika! :huglove:

Blue, I'm still so sorry I didn't recognize you rightaway.

Bab, I hope you got some proper sleep!

omg I missed u2 :boxed:

personally

I never liked OverMyShoulder...My interpretation would be better to sing at a gig IMO

the visual was incredibly well done :clap:..but Mika & the gang were sure + fashinating to watch..what clowns :lol3:

Imma's so expressive, Jimmy's outrageous, David simply bravo, Cherisse fkn mighty as usual..MARTIN YOU'RE A GUITAR-GOD!

& yeah, last but not least the mastah is getting better time after time :kaf:

Anzuzu :wub2: I missed you yesterday! I'm happy to hear you had a great time in Stockholm!

Yes I remember that too! It was one of the most relaxed meetings with him, we got the chance to talk to him in peace and quiet.:wub2:

Awww I missed you too! :huglove: We met Nika before the show and she told us where you were. After that we went to look for you. The place was too crowded so I couldn't find you in the end! But I'm sure there will be a next time!

One thing I like about this venue is that there is lot of free space on the sides. :thumb_yello: Me & my bf arrived quite late cos I hadn't been feeling well that day. Despite it we got a great spot really close to the stage. It was really calm on the sides, no pushing and beating at all! People were singing and dancing in such a great spirit and Mika came to our side many times during the gig. :groovy::wub2:

Last time in the same venue I was pushed and punched badly and had lot of bruises when I got back home. :boxed: I was with Marianne that time and security had to take her away cos she started to feel bad in the wild crowd. IMO Stockholm gig is not the best place to be front & center. If he performs again in Annexet, I recommend staying on the sides.

Over my shoulder:

crappy quality I know but it is OMS!!:wub2:

Thanks for posting! :thumb_yello:

When Mika performed Over My Shoulder with Alexander in Passionskirche in Berlin I was thinking nothing in this world could top that performance. But this week in Stockholm I found it even more beautiful. I was absolutely stunned when Mika & Ida sang it. :wub2:

I really didn't want to imagine how things would go if it had been a really crazy audience. In the end it wasn't.

Thank you for this! During the gig I thought it was over all rather calm, even though, at certain points, some people would get a little over excited. A few too many people had to leave the audience. But it was not like that all the time, and definately not everyone acted badly, IMO. Ofcourse I'm Swedish, so maybe I'm just used to it. I've never been to a concert in any other country so I don't know if it's true what you're saying about us Swedes being violent. Maybe it's the viking blood in our veins ;)

I personally think it's all part of the experience, as long as no one gets hurt. And people should ofcourse respect those who have queued for their places in front row!

It was so nice to meet both you and Mr Violet again!:wub2:

Oh, I'll be happy to show you Stockholm.

In the summer it's actually a beautiful city with all the open water!

Last time in the same venue I was pushed and punched badly and had lot of bruises when I got back home. :boxed: I was with Marianne that time and security had to take her away cos she started to feel bad in the wild crowd. IMO Stockholm gig is not the best place to be front & center. If he performs again in Annexet, I recommend staying on the sides.

Horrible memories that crowd!:boxed:

That was the reason I didn't even made an attempt to get anywhere near the front this time, so I had a hard time to see the stage with a lot of tall people in front of me.

Thank you for this! During the gig I thought it was over all rather calm, even though, at certain points, some people would get a little over excited. A few too many people had to leave the audience. But it was not like that all the time, and definately not everyone acted badly, IMO. Ofcourse I'm Swedish, so maybe I'm just used to it. I've never been to a concert in any other country so I don't know if it's true what you're saying about us Swedes being violent. Maybe it's the viking blood in our veins ;)

I personally think it's all part of the experience, as long as no one gets hurt. And people should ofcourse respect those who have queued for their places in front row!

Not one of the gigs in London or other cities around Europe have been as violent as the ones in Stockholm.

I don't know why Swedish people behave the way the do, I think it's just bad manners.

It's really sad.:blink:

In the summer it's actually a beautiful city with all the open water!

Stockholm is even a beautiful city in winter when the open water turns into frozen water. :naughty:

It was my 3rd time in Sweden including Stockholm. It is one of my favourite countries! :wub2:

No worries Violet! I didn't recognise you immediately either. Funny though how you remembered me from Amsterdam where I can't remember having seen you there, while I remembered you from the London gigs and you couldn't remember me. :naughty:

Edited by Blue

Hehe, we even crossed the water from south to north. It saved us a walk via the tower. :naughty:

I found a couple of reviews in Swedish. A Google translation doesn't make sense to me, maybe one of you locals can translate? I don't know if they have been posted though. :blush-anim-cl:

http://www.svd.se/kulturnoje/scen/mika-pa-annexet-stockholm-torsdag-18-mars-2010_4351917.svd

http://gaffa.se/recension/37992

And this blog: http://kulturbloggen.com/?p=18719

I found a couple of reviews in Swedish. A Google translation doesn't make sense to me, maybe one of you locals can translate? I don't know if they have been posted though. :blush-anim-cl:

http://www.svd.se/kulturnoje/scen/mika-pa-annexet-stockholm-torsdag-18-mars-2010_4351917.svd

"It feels disapponting and meagre. As if someone hasn't had the time to think every thought completely. Or at least as if a few lorries filled with decorations, apparatus and accessories got lost on the way. Because when Mika, the curly-haired singer that during more formal occasions goes under the name Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr comes to town it should - no matter what you think about his often nerve-racking songs - be like being locked in in a candy shop where the 27-year old singer is running around as the (sockerchockade?) salesman.

Instead we're being served a semi-finished show without a red thread. Why would you bring along a giant inflatable womans' leg - much like the one that Elton John unfolded the last time he visited Globen - when it only shows for a minute during Big girl (you are beautiful)?

And why doesn't the glittery umbrella Mika carries around turn into a Mary Poppins-object that brings him up in the air? Mika has always nourished the theatrical part of his persona, so why does he settle for so little? He should transform the evening into an Andrew Lloyd-Webber-performance in his own honour.

Now it is instead as if they only managed to unpack half of the escapades. It's time to go on after the concert any way.

The Beirut-born Londoner has the shape of a jumping jack that either moves across the stage with giant steps or sits at the piano with trembling jazzhands. It is best when Mika puts on the party pants, pulls up his voice to falsetto and puts on a feather coat that looks like the looted Easter decorations of grade 6.

Everything is finished with a Flaming Lips-party with confetti, serpentines and kingsize balloons but the impression is still that this is a night on part-time (?) for Mika. The crowd is energetic, jumping and dancing. They are in on every chord, all it takes is for the mainman to be bothered to put them out."

Feel free to correct! I couldn't find any english word for "sockerchock", but it's when you have eaten too much sugar. :)

I thought this review was very interesting; It's the very first time I heard anyone say that Mika's show was too simple :roftl:

"It feels disapponting and meagre. As if someone hasn't had the time to think every thought completely. Or at least as if a few lorries filled with decorations, apparatus and accessories got lost on the way. Because when Mika, the curly-haired singer that during more formal occasions goes under the name Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr comes to town it should - no matter what you think about his often nerve-racking songs - be like being locked in in a candy shop where the 27-year old singer is running around as the (sockerchockade?) salesman.

Instead we're being served a semi-finished show without a red thread. Why would you bring along a giant inflatable womans' leg - much like the one that Elton John unfolded the last time he visited Globen - when it only shows for a minute during Big girl (you are beautiful)?

And why doesn't the glittery umbrella Mika carries around turn into a Mary Poppins-object that brings him up in the air? Mika has always nourished the theatrical part of his persona, so why does he settle for so little? He should transform the evening into an Andrew Lloyd-Webber-performance in his own honour.

Now it is instead as if they only managed to unpack half of the escapades. It's time to go on after the concert any way.

The Beirut-born Londoner has the shape of a jumping jack that either moves across the stage with giant steps or sits at the piano with trembling jazzhands. It is best when Mika puts on the party pants, pulls up his voice to falsetto and puts on a feather coat that looks like the looted Easter decorations of grade 6.

Everything is finished with a Flaming Lips-party with confetti, serpentines and kingsize balloons but the impression is still that this is a night on part-time (?) for Mika. The crowd is energetic, jumping and dancing. They are in on every chord, all it takes is for the mainman to be bothered to put them out."

Feel free to correct! I couldn't find any english word for "sockerchock", but it's when you have eaten too much sugar. :)

I thought this review was very interesting; It's the very first time I heard anyone say that Mika's show was too simple :roftl:

It is funny to say, he's NOT putting everything into it:naughty:

He doesn't seem to get, why it's just M and the umbrella during I See You, someone should tell this guy that in some cases less is more.

It is funny to say, he's NOT putting everything into it:naughty:

He doesn't seem to get, why it's just M and the umbrella during I See You, someone should tell this guy that in some cases less is more.

OMG if Mika started flying like Mary Poppins it wold be the cheesiest thing ever, I'm glad he doesn't do it :roftl:

No chaffed thighs for our Mika :wags_finger: