REPORTS/PICS/VIDS: Mika @ Annexet Stockholm, Sweden: MARCH 18 2010

Droopsy

Another review, English this time:

http://scienceblogs.com/aardvarchaeology/2010/03/concert_review_mika_in_stockho.php

Cosmopolitan popster Mika is a great showman and tours with a great band. The audience at his gig in Stockholm last night was thoroughly charmed by the friendliness and musical mastery on offer. Mika traces his musical ancestry back to acts like the Beatles, Queen, Elton John and George Michael, which would make for a good concert experience even if the front man didn't say a word. But he also entertained us with effortless improvised stage patter -- part of it in Swedish, even though he makes only a single stop here on his tour! Psychedelic animated backdrop projections and dancers in outlandish costumes reminded me of of Montreal's stage show. And Mika's studio-heavy pop translated beautifully to the live format.

The audience was unusually all-ages for a pop gig and there was a fine mix of hipsters and everyday Joes like myself. It may have been my imagination or my selective Darwin-determined gaze, but there seemed to be unusually many of the big girls whose beauty one of Mika's hits extols. Myself, I brought 11-y-o Junior and his buddy, and they loved it - which was great since neither of them had been to a pop concert since they learned to walk. Both study music, and it wouldn't surprise me if they ended up on stage at similar events in the 2020s. We're laying the groundwork now.

Mika has only two albums on his discography so far. But seeing him on stage last night I felt that this guy has it in him to be doing this for decades. A hard-working musician of great talent!

Up-and-coming Swedish pop act Ola Joyce opened together with his 6-piece band, and they did a fine job too. An album is in the works.

hi guys, thanks for the warm welcomes :)

What's with the sweedish teenage girls? :blink: why are they so ...cruel? I really hope Vienna won't be like this.

my experience with teenagers @ concert is that they are always rowdy. they believe that [artist name] is only there for them, sees only them, and, eventually will marry them. (no matter if he doesn't actually like girls... - he will become straight for THEM!! naturally...)

anyway, i've been to concerts in vienna and the girls are as screechy and pushy as anywhere in the world. i've given up on the front row since travis. and that's travis, people. cool, depressed, scottish britpop. yet i still got a blue eye, no kidding. you can enjoy yourself a lot more if you are NOT in the front.

I love your description of the Mika concert, " hanging upside down in a kaleidoscope." Mika would probably give that a thumbs-up.

hehe thanks :) it's true tho! he's probably on mushrooms when he's writing music :biggrin2::insane:

Here are two more vids posted by Petitesser!

They both have Mika talking at the beginning which really adds to the experience:

Happy Ending with Ida Falk Winland - 6:27 of pure bliss:

Toyboy & Grace Kelly:

I can't wait for our fellow MFCers to start posting their vids from last night.

Edited by Kodes100

so there are new LG costumes? Does that mean that they have sifferent sizes? :huh:

What's with the sweedish teenage girls? :blink: why are they so ...cruel? I really hope Vienna won't be like this.

The dresses are the same as usual, they are approximately size small. The tulle is only attatched to the vig and I don't know if they'll continue on wearing them to the rest of the tour.

I've only been to the concerts in sweden so I have nothing to compare with but I know that they are very pushy and in the concert 2007 I got furius at a gang of girls that tried to take my and my friends places in the front (we had been in queue for 6 hours and they had just gotten there). But I though it was like that everywhere.

Btw, I found this picture in a blogg. It's not the best but I have been looking around and there aren't many up yet. mika_79278333.jpg

They both have Mika talking at the beginning which really adds to the experience:

Toyboy & Grace Kelly:

THANK YOU! So great to see Ida :wub2:

I LOVE him saying "I kind of ruined the moment!" before Happy Ending :roftl: and especially the quote about the Metro magazine which was mentioned here before:

"Quite frankly, if you're all freaks, I'm ****in' glad to be one too!"

Quite frankly, Mika: i love you for that!!! :biggrin2:

Edited by Nightbird

THANK YOU! So great to see Ida :wub2:

I LOVE him saying "I kind of ruined the moment!" before Happy Ending :roftl: and especially the quote about the Metro magazine which was mentioned here before:

"Quite frankly, if you're all freaks, I'm ****in' glad to be one too!"

Quite frankly, Mika: i love you for that!!! :biggrin2:

Nightbird I was wondering how to use Mika's quote from last night when i see you posted it in red.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I hope you don't mind - I added it to my siggy?:teehee:

Thanks.

Nightbird I was wondering how to use Mika's quote from last night when i see you posted it in red.:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

I hope you don't mind - I added it to my siggy?:teehee:

Thanks.

Of course i don't mind - i feel honoured! :wink2:

Looks great! :biggrin2:

my experience with teenagers @ concert is that they are always rowdy. they believe that [artist name] is only there for them, sees only them, and, eventually will marry them. (no matter if he doesn't actually like girls... - he will become straight for THEM!! naturally...)

anyway, i've been to concerts in vienna and the girls are as screechy and pushy as anywhere in the world. i've given up on the front row since travis. and that's travis, people. cool, depressed, scottish britpop. yet i still got a blue eye, no kidding. you can enjoy yourself a lot more if you are NOT in the front.

ah but that doesn't always stop at teenage girls :naughty:

maybe not marry [insert artist] , but the imaginary deep connection appears beyond age.

but i suppose it is part of the fascination of admiring someone that much :thumb_yello:

not many here are going to agree with you i'm afraid!

we absolutely LOVE to be at the front!

:biggrin2:

LMFAO he always f*cks up Happy Ending :aah:

In Sweden the makes you in front & brusied!

Ouch!

And being behind tall people = not being able to see the person you paid to see. Seriously, I experienced this 3 times.

1. My first gig at Shepherds Bush

2. Bloomsbury Ballroom

3. Hammersmith Gig 28/2/10

I've been in the middle of people, I've even been at the very back.

If I go home black and blue, I go home black and blue, at least I actually saw the artist I paid to freaking see :roftl:

And being behind tall people = not being able to see the person you paid to see. Seriously, I experienced this 3 times.

1. My first gig at Shepherds Bush

2. Bloomsbury Ballroom

3. Hammersmith Gig 28/2/10

I've been in the middle of people, I've even been at the very back.

If I go home black and blue, I go home black and blue, at least I actually saw the artist I paid to freaking see :roftl:

That's how I think too. It doesn't matter where u stand as long as you se MIKA... But then of course the most of us want to stand in front :naughty:

That's how I think too. It doesn't matter where u stand as long as you se MIKA... But then of course the most of us want to stand in front :naughty:

I don't agree with the whole "I will sit outside in the cold and rain/snow from 7am till the doors open" though...I mean...that's pointless...most people don't start turning up till the freaking afternoon. On the second Hammersmith date I arrived at 3:30, was number 40 something in the queue and was front row.

I mean...COME ON.

I don't agree with the whole "I will sit outside in the cold and rain/snow from 7am till the doors open" though...I mean...that's pointless...most people don't start turning up till the freaking afternoon. On the second Hammersmith date I arrived at 3:30, was number 40 something in the queue and was front row.

I mean...COME ON.

I know.. I arrived at two I think and I was number 52. It's not necessary to wait so long.

Well, I'm only interested in being at the front with Mika tho :aah: (unless it's a very very small venue with a not so famous band). Seriously, any other artist & I'm glad to have a seated spot in the tribune :thumb_yello:

Toyboy & Grace Kelly:

I can't wait for our fellow MFCers to start posting their vids from last night.

Ah, cool, didn't see, will update =)

You know, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually beginning to like the 'new' rain version :naughty: t4p!

:teehee::naughty::naughty:

ahhh, Mika has a way to make us like things we wouldnt otherwise:teehee:

(does that make sense?? :lmfao:)

Well, I like to be front. If I use hours sitting in a plane and at airports and spend weeks organizing things at home for traveling it's not worth if to be back.... I just can't see from back, because I'm so short. And I want to see :aah: And I want to film.

I really try to be fair. I queue for a long time. I never leave the queue except for going to toilet or buy some food. And I like queueing. After flying I'm too tired to do sightseeing. And I can't see a point sitting in a hotel room alone. I rather queue. And I want be organized and use numbers. Some people just hate it, but without numbers it's just too stressful :blink:

OMG I'm tired. I have slept under 10 hours this week. It makes me grumpy :teehee:

I've been to many of Mikas shows, in the UK and Europe, as well as many other gigs of artists of varying age ranges, and I can't say I've witnessed any behavior like the kicking, punching and biting talked about here, from the teens at last nights show!

Yes, I've seen excitable behavior, jumping & pushing, screaming, which I do expect, but not violent, and totally uncalled for violent actions, especially when they have a good spot in the audience already!

And if at anytime I happen to be in an audience that this ever happens, they better expect to be treated in kind, because I won't have anyone treat me like that, and expect to get away with it!:sneaky2:

I mean...COME ON.

Caz, you mostly go gigs in the UK? I can tell you it's quite different, you are near your home with your friends, you don't feel need to queue from early hours. But if you travel a lot you will find out that it's not that easy. After traveling you are tired. Well, at least I am. I travel at weird hours without sleeping and many times even without hotel rooms. I have no place to go except a queue. I just don't have energy to walk around in strange cities. I sit in cafés but there is a limit for how long you want to sit alone in any places. In queues you at least meet people.

And the reason I travel is because he doesn't come to my country. Like never. And I want to see his gigs and I think it's worth it.

I've been to many of Mikas shows, in the UK and Europe, as well as many other gigs of artists of varying age ranges, and I can't say I've witnessed any behavior like the kicking, punching and biting talked about here, from the teens at last nights show!

Yes, I've seen excitable behavior, jumping & pushing, screaming, which I do expect, but not violent, and totally uncalled for violent actions, especially when they have a good spot in the audience already!

And if at anytime I happen to be in an audience that this ever happens, they better expect to be treated in kind, because I won't have anyone treat me like that, and expect to get away with it!:sneaky2:

Not to treat this too lightly - but - Rose is going to Kick Ass!

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello: