Singles out this week

Suzy

Provides a short review of Kick Ass and other singles out this week.

Singles out this week

Peter Robinson

The Guardian, Saturday 1 May 2010

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/may/01/singles-out-this-week

PICK OF THE WEEK

Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Bittersweet (Fascination)

Sophie Ellis-Bextor should seem rather old-fashioned in these days of Ke$ha sicking up her lunch in Paris Hilton's wardrobe and Gaga strapping 20 B&H on her face, but while faces come and go, tunes like this skyscraping electro disco-pop blockbuster never fall out of vogue. If you can't handle her fantastically nonchalant warbletones you're better off making a cup of tea for the tune's duration; but also think about where your life's headed because the signs, frankly, are not good.

ALSO OUT THIS WEEK

Toni Braxton

Yesterday (Atlantic)

As summer approaches and gloominess dissipates, it is important that maudlin ballads exist still for the purposes of emo wallowing, and Braxton pulls it out of the bag with this overwrought epic. It lacks the desolation of Unbreak My Heart or the ****-crazy bombast of He Wasn't Man Enough, but compensates with super-sad melodic flourishes and brilliantly over-the-top backing vocals. Among around a dozen terrible remixes, stick with the radio edit and you'll be laughing, and occasionally having a bit of a sniffle.

Mika Vs Red One

Kick Ass (We Are Young) (Island)

Do you remember the heady days of the late-noughties, back when everyone was buying Mika albums? The past is indeed a foreign country – in this instance, the country of Annoyingalbumland – but the team behind Kick-Ass are clearly such fans of Mika that they're prepared to overlook his second album being a fiasco. From Mika's by-numbers empowerment schtick to the demo-quality production to a parenthesised title that screams WILL THIS DO (the phrase "kick ass" does not appear in the song's lyrics), it offers little in the way of imagination or real spark, which is odd because it's also kind of amazing.

Cascada

Pyromania (All Around The World)

Just as folk music is best heard in intimate live surroundings and opera while cutting bodies into tiny pieces and fantasising about your next victim, so the high-street rave-pop of Cascada – brilliantly showcased in this subtlety-free Gaga-esque stormer – is best experienced as a three-second burst of shouting and flashing lights during the seizure-inducing commercial for Clubland Smashed, a TV-advertised club compilation album which also contains an Owl City remix with such a high BPM that that the only difference between it and a machine gun is that you'd be more likely to give the latter as a present to someone you love.

Taio Cruz Feat Ke$ha

Dirty Picture (Island)

This is a song in which smooth-talking Taio Cruz and terrible harlot Ke$ha sing about photographing their respective privates for later inspection via mobile phone. It is in many ways the perfect duet, with Taio's slightly self-conscious "playboy" persona being the ideal foil for Ke$ha's "I'm drunk LOL" partygirl. Perhaps Taio and Ke$ha should pair off in real life, stick this on repeat and enjoy its tones as they emotionlessly rut each other into an early grave.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mika Vs Red One

Do you remember the heady days of the late-noughties, back when everyone was buying Mika albums? The past is indeed a foreign country – in this instance, the country of Annoyingalbumland – but the team behind Kick-Ass are clearly such fans of Mika that they're prepared to overlook his second album being a fiasco. From Mika's by-numbers empowerment schtick to the demo-quality production to a parenthesised title that screams WILL THIS DO (the phrase "kick ass" does not appear in the song's lyrics), it offers little in the way of imagination or real spark, which is odd because it's also kind of amazing.

:blink:

So he likes it? Or he doesn't? It's impossible to tell...

Anyhow, thanks, Suzy! :wink2:

I still think he is a jerk!

He doesn't want to like it - but is shocked he does like it.

ahh thanks for the explanation :naughty: I thought I was the only one confused :P

How odd.

He doesn't actually specify if he likes it or not.

Can't wait for 5 years time when I have graduated from Uni and I can give these reporters a piece of my mind because I will be one. :)

The rest of the article did make me chuckle though. :)

So he likes it? Or he doesn't? It's impossible to tell...

Anyhow, thanks, Suzy! :wink2:

when first read the new i thought i didin´t understand anything because i´m spanish,and english is not my first language... but i see now that you all are as me... so.... is a compliment???:blink:

when first read the new i thought i didin´t understand anything because i´m spanish,and english is not my first language... but i see now that you all are as me... so.... is a compliment???:blink:

...wait...

When i first read the thread i thought: Singles? ok i'm single

Out? this week? ok i'dfancy going out this week!

I thouhgt it was a dating threaaaaaaaaad :roftl::roftl::roftl:

I think i need a boyfriend! now! or i'm gonna go mad :bonk::roll1:

This thing was so weird to read, I actually didn't understand much of it :blink::lmfao:

I still think he is a jerk!

He doesn't want to like it - but is shocked he does like it.

:aah:

Is it just me or reporters and critics kind of stopped being impartial and are trying to sound a bit too complicated these days?

This thing was so weird to read, I actually didn't understand much of it :blink::lmfao:

:aah:

Is it just me or reporters and critics kind of stopped being impartial and are trying to sound a bit too complicated these days?

I think "some" of these so-called critics & reviewers think too highly of themselves & have their heads so far up there arses (sorry) that they ignore what they are there to do.

...wait...

When i first read the thread i thought: Singles? ok i'm single

Out? this week? ok i'dfancy going out this week!

I thouhgt it was a dating threaaaaaaaaad :roftl::roftl::roftl:

I think i need a boyfriend! now! or i'm gonna go mad :bonk::roll1:

wait!!!

i cant write!!!

:floor: :floor: :floor:

you are funny cata!!!!!!! :lmfao:

:roftl:

Mika Vs Red One

This is sooo rude!!!!!:mad3:

Another to go in the pile of back handed compliments, it would seem!

Thanks for posting Suzy ;-)

Yeah, well it would never do for hip and cool people to give Mika a straight forward compliment, would it? :teehee:

second album a fiasco???

not unless you count selling almost 2 million copies of it and doing a worldwide tour a fiasco:blink:

i usually dont care about people saying mean stuff about mika, but this is just nonsense:blink:

second album a fiasco???

not unless you count selling almost 2 million copies of it and doing a worldwide tour a fiasco:blink:

i usually dont care about people saying mean stuff about mika, but this is just nonsense:blink:

You tell him LilStar!

Archived