10. Cyprus 67

11. Zweden 62

12. Litouwen 44

13. Kroatië 33

14. Nederland 29

15. Bulgarije 19

16. Slovenië 6

17. Zwitserland 2

(They're from a belgian site, so sorry the countries are in dutch)

woow! he won the semi-finals very convincing!

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooh! Ooh! Same here!! :aah:

But as for today, I dunno, I am quite pleased with the winner. I mean it never was my favourite or anything, I kind of didn't even notice that song so much, but for some reason I still knew all the words to the chorus. I guess it was catchy and the girl seemed nice as well... So, congrats! :)

I am not pleased what happened to Israel though. I'll just totally deny the outcome....and by doing that I'll congratulate him on winning, go Harel, I always knew you could do it! :mf_rosetinted:

God I missed you :roftl:

Yeah but true... It's just a shame he was out of tune. He wasn't during the semi's, or well, I didn't notice :dunno:

Although performances that were significantly different from the rest usually stand a good chance, this time their chances multiplied because the most of the songs were samey and some sounded really fake.

I think it is possible that record companies now realise that Eurovision can easily become a tool to launch new artists, so perhaps next year we'll finally get more original entries that are worth listening to (and I am thinking about the UK in particular now:cool:).

Yes agreed! It was like we said yesterday. Almost every song reminded us of another one. And countries actually believed that this was the way to go. Well they did here anyways. They were always searching for a 'typical eurovision song'. I've been thinking the same as you. That maybe now they'll just pick good songs, forget about the eurovision label. But on the other hand I would miss the kitsch and sparkle :aah:

this are the results of the semi-finals:

First one:

01. België 167 :wub2::biggrin2:

02. Griekenland 133

03. IJsland 123

04. Portugal 89

05. Servië 79

06. Albanië 76

07. Rusland 74

08. Bosnië & Herzegovina 59

09. Wit-Rusland 59

10. Moldavië 52

11. Finland 49

12. Malta 45

13. Polen 44

14. Estland 39

15. VJR Macedonië 37

16. Slowakije 24

17. Letland 11

Second:

01. Turkije 118

02. Azerbeidzjan 113

03. Georgië 106

04. Roemenië 104

05. Denemarken 101

06. Armenië 83

07. Oekraïne 77

08. Israël 71

09. Ierland 67

10. Cyprus 67

11. Zweden 62

12. Litouwen 44

13. Kroatië 33

14. Nederland 29

15. Bulgarije 19

16. Slovenië 6

17. Zwitserland 2

(They're from a belgian site, so sorry the countries are in dutch)

Aaaww, that's awesome!! And Turkey well deserved as well! :thumb_yello:

(I really didn't like the act tho! they didn't need that robo-dancer in the background, the song was solid)

Yes agreed! It was like we said yesterday. Almost every song reminded us of another one. And countries actually believed that this was the way to go. Well they did here anyways. They were always searching for a 'typical eurovision song'. I've been thinking the same as you. That maybe now they'll just pick good songs, forget about the eurovision label. But on the other hand I would miss the kitsch and sparkle :aah:

Aaaww, that's awesome!! And Turkey well deserved as well! :thumb_yello:

(I really didn't like the act tho! they didn't need that robo-dancer in the background, the song was solid)

I agree with you as well. I think that if you look at the songs in the top 6, the songs are, except for Denmark, not typical eurovision.

Germany -> Kate Nash, Lilly Allenish

Turkey -> rock music

Romania -> it reminded me of Lady Gaga in a way

Azerbaijan -> Rihanna, Beyonceish

Belgium -> not eurovision at all

So I also hope that the countries will notice that, but still put some kitsch elements in the songs. Otherwise it wouldn't be the same anymore.

And yes the robotlady was very useless in my opinion as well. :aah:

Well you say that but violetsky just reminded me of the last German winner, saying the same thing about that, but I always liked it myself, so I'm guessing I might like previous Spanish entries too. :naughty:

BTW here's the last German winner.

(English version)

As far as I remember the last German winner at the Eurovision contest was Nena in 1984 with the song 99 LuftBallons sang in German and a bit later in the English version too: 99 Redbaloons.

She's one of the biggest pop/rock stars and actrresses in Germany and made a duet with Kim Wilde back then.

I went to a Eurovision party last night. There were 11 of us and we had a list of the countries to mark for the song, the singer, the backing, the overall performance....

Then we told the bloke organising it our three in order and they were compared to the real results. I did not win, but we had a great time and sent out for pizza!

As far as I remember the last German winner at the Eurovision contest was Nena in 1984 with the song 99 LuftBallons sang in German and a bit later in the English version too: 99 Redbaloons.

She's one of the biggest pop/rock stars and actrresses in Germany and made a duet with Kim Wilde back then.

1984 the winner was Sweden and Herreys, wasn't it (diggy loo diggy ley...)? Has Nena won the Eurovision contest?

I don't think Goran Bregovic needs to be defended about this song but let me just say that I appreciate Serbia's effort much more than countries who simply hired professional foreign songwriters from abroad to write them a Eurovision friendly song. 20% of the songs in the final are by Swedish songwriters and Sweden is not even in the final...:aah:

I always prefer one's effort vs hiring a professional to the job for them or stealing the elements from other songs. And that's why I appreciate the Russian song this year, too.

I got really angry yesterday when someone from Serbia was commenting on Milan's video on Youtube, feeling ashamed that people might think Serbians look and act like Milan...etc...making a typical homophobic and racist comments (on gypsies) and trying to position themselves as 'highbrow'. But who in their right mind would think that Ukrainians dress like UFOs and talk nonsense (the way Vera did in 2007)? Eurovision is not about high culture at all. It is about winning over the viewers quickly, whether that be with the song, the voice, the performace or the combination of the three. Often including some references to your traditions are rewarded, so why shouldn't have Serbia played that card?

:thumb_yello:

You've get the point here. Your opinion absolutely proves Lena's song which was ovbiously ordered from a foreign composers and producers team and achieved a great success this year. But most of the people here in Serbia don't consider Bregović as a home musician, more like a mix between Bosnian and some international bridge with a lot of jupsy elements which he promoted in the films by Emir Kusturitza. And for the fact he's actually based in Paris, he acts here in Serbia like a posh busnisseman who is connected with our national TV and provided himself a great amount of money for the song that wasn't that successfull on the Eurosong this year. I'd say he actually failed.

And the victim was young and not enough experienced Milan who tried his best to sing something between Balkan folk music (which is his naturally envoirment) and a modern pop tendencies. Anyway, the guy wasn't bad at all but it's anyone taste to judge about it.

About homophobic comments on You Tube: I agree with you, that's stupid and vulgare, but he's not the only one facing with that kind of trouble.:naughty: He's pretty modest and reserved guy, not visible in the press that much and doesn't speak a lot about his privacy. In that segment of his career he acts quite professionally IMO.

I personally don't really like Bregovic but he's a good songwriter and there are many people out there who are crazy about him. He became a huge star in Former Yugoslavia firstly with his band Bijelo Dugme (White Button if you prefer), and later in the whole Eastern and Southern Europe. He had a tour in the last year on the West, and most of the gigs were sold out. People simply love the music he makes, because they think it's different and original, modern, but also keeps the spirit of the Ex-Yu people at the same time. Plus, he's a looker, and many women fall for him because of his looks :naughty:

About homophobic comments, yes, that's very 'usual' here in Serbia. I'm from the generation of young people who either love Milan and style he's got or loathe it. I had been in the 2nd category for quite a long time, but then I watched an interview with him and realised he's actually a pretty smart guy, not drawn by success, rather mature and down-to-earth, and a fellow perfectionist, like Mika is e.g. And now I don't have anything against him. I think he's quite okay actually. Despite the fact that I simply don't listen to the kind of music he sings.

But many people think he's gay, just like they thought for Marija Serifovic back in 2007, but they're both straight. Milan has been awarded by a Serbian Gay Community, because he's very popular among them with his metrosexual flamboyant image, and he's announced that he's very proud of it. Marija had been a little bit secretive about her private life, but then she said she's straight and there had been some pictures of her and her boyfriends in the press, but she also said that she didn't have anything against hooking up with women; that she's openminded and that she's what she is, whether people like it or not. I personally love her, she's got an amazing voice and her song "Molitva" was definitely the best out there back in 07 Eurovision.

Oh and just thought I'd add, what Marko Kon did with his song "Cipela" last year on Eurovision was disgusting. I was glad he hadn't made it to the final:thumbdown:

Yes Keti, that's also true. Many of the Serbian singers and actors are involved in the Gay community. Why not? That's the spirit of the time I think.:wink2:

Serbia, it sounds like he's singing out of tune! Or is it just me?

Right, he was, especially at the beginning. He seemed to be very nervous.

what the hell is that from Serbia? :blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FejubLiU7Gw&feature=related

Maybe you could watch this one instead?:thumb_yello:

He looks hotter than the Spanish Neo-Mika outdated singer or even Danish Sting version even though the guy has a great figure.:teehee:

1984 the winner was Sweden and Herreys, wasn't it (diggy loo diggy ley...)? Has Nena won the Eurovision contest?

You're right. :aah:I was convinced that she actually won Eurovision contest, dunno why.:boxed: Even though I was checked it out, somehow it stayed in my mind that she made it, but actually she did not.

So Nikole was the last German who won this contest and I remember her very well too. My appologies anyway and thanks for correcting me.:thumb_yello:

Well this song was certainly a big hit here, I think it went to No1 in the charts, but I don't recall it being a Eurovision song?

Edit: Just seen tiibets's reply.

Holland won in 1969:

and in 1975: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fLMhBbONvo

I like the Troubadour song...:teehee:

and the DIng Dong Dong song..... :roftl:

We have our own Hungarian version of it. A Hungarian actor recorded a cover version in the 90s and poor guy still gets ridiculed on tv because of the song...:naughty: He doesn't mind it though, and often sings it on tv shows. It's his trademark song now....:teehee:

But most of the people here in Serbia don't consider Bregović as a home musician, more like a mix between Bosnian and some international bridge with a lot of jupsy elements which he promoted in the films by Emir Kusturitza. And for the fact he's actually based in Paris, he acts here in Serbia like a posh busnisseman who is connected with our national TV and provided himself a great amount of money for the song that wasn't that successfull on the Eurosong this year.

I understand the 'resistance' to Goran Bregovic now... and it makes me like him even more (:teehee: ) as I actually appreciate people who actively function as a kind of bridge between different nations and cultures and who refuse to declare themselves belonging to one particular group and to see things black or white only. I understand it is more complex over there though. I have a feeling that because he is half Serbian, half Croatian and was born in Bosnia, he gets a fair amount of hatred from all sides and probably also jealousy because of his success. Good he moved abroad and promotes Balkan music in Europe. Well, at least I am pleased with it :thumb_yello:

. Your opinion absolutely proves Lena's song which was ovbiously ordered from a foreign composers and producers team and achieved a great success this year.

Without contradicting myself, let me explain again what I meant..

I actually found strengths in many entries. In the songs of Serbia and Russia, for example I really appreciated that they not only used home-grown songwriters but also made sure that the sound in the songs contains ethnic elements that differentiated the song from other performances.

For Iceland I really liked the singer's voice, the way she was 'shining' throughout the performance. (it was a crap song, though, let's face it :teehee:) The Ukrainian song I found brave and unique and the singer had an awesome voice, whilst in the Romanian song I liked the energy and the vocal acrobatics.

Then there were a lot of songs that were bought up from foreign songwriters - many of whom do it on a professional basis and have had dozens of entries in the national and European finals over the years. As an end result, in the final you get similar songs, all built on clichés. This year it was utterly ridiculous how even Ireland , with such rich musical heritage was singing a Swedish song...:cool:

Lena's song is well-written and was clearly distinct from the rest of the samey songs. But more importantly, Germany selected the best performer and the best song to represent the country separately, making sure they do their best to shine at Eurovision. I like that attitude - very German, I think :teehee:. Also, they stood behind the winner, promoting her on the internet and making sure her song gets heard before the final. Yes, you can say that the accent ruins the song for many but I can't think of any other song or any other country who would have deserved it more. So, well done Germany and well done, Lena, too.

Lena's song is well-written and was clearly distinct from the rest of the samey songs. But more importantly, Germany selected the best performer and the best song to represent the country separately, making sure they do their best to shine at Eurovision. I like that attitude - very German, I think :teehee:. Also, they stood behind the winner, promoting her on the internet and making sure her song gets heard before the final. Yes, you can say that the accent ruins the song for many but I can't think of any other song or any other country who would have deserved it more. So, well done Germany and well done, Lena, too.

I find this phenomenon quite interesting, I mean the internet is not a new thing. So why this didn't happen before, with some other country/singer (well, maybe did but not in this scale). Is it that Germany wanted this so much or is it Lena, who is an interesting young person (I actually like her accent a lot :teehee: ) or is it just something that was coming for a long time. And what about Eurovision songs for now on. Anyone learning anything, and what about the whole atmosphere. And what about Lena, will she be popular outside Germany... You remember Lordi who won the contest a few years ago, I don't know if the band exits any more, and I don't know any other songs from them, and I'm Finnish :aah: Maybe this song can be a nice start to Lena's career?

I understand the 'resistance' to Goran Bregovic now... and it makes me like him even more (:teehee: ) as I actually appreciate people who actively function as a kind of bridge between different nations and cultures and who refuse to declare themselves belonging to one particular group and to see things black or white only. I understand it is more complex over there though. I have a feeling that because he is half Serbian, half Croatian and was born in Bosnia, he gets a fair amount of hatred from all sides and probably also jealousy because of his success. Good he moved abroad and promotes Balkan music in Europe. Well, at least I am pleased with it :thumb_yello:

Without contradicting myself, let me explain again what I meant..

I actually found strengths in many entries. In the songs of Serbia and Russia, for example I really appreciated that they not only used home-grown songwriters but also made sure that the sound in the songs contains ethnic elements that differentiated the song from other performances.

For Iceland I really liked the singer's voice, the way she was 'shining' throughout the performance. (it was a crap song, though, let's face it :teehee:) The Ukrainian song I found brave and unique and the singer had an awesome voice, whilst in the Romanian song I liked the energy and the vocal acrobatics.

Then there were a lot of songs that were bought up from foreign songwriters - many of whom do it on a professional basis and have had dozens of entries in the national and European finals over the years. As an end result, in the final you get similar songs, all built on clichés. This year it was utterly ridiculous how even Ireland , with such rich musical heritage was singing a Swedish song...:cool:

I find this phenomenon quite interesting, I mean the internet is not a new thing. So why this didn't happen before, with some other country/singer (well, maybe did but not in this scale). Is it that Germany wanted this so much or is it Lena, who is an interesting young person (I actually like her accent a lot :teehee: ) or is it just something that was coming for a long time. And what about Eurovision songs for now on. Anyone learning anything, and what about the whole atmosphere. And what about Lena, will she be popular outside Germany... You remember Lordi who won the contest a few years ago, I don't know if the band exits any more, and I don't any other songs from them, and I'm Finnish :aah: Maybe this song can be a nice start to Lena's career?

With all respect to Bregovic international success I disagree that the main reason might be some "nationalistic" resistance. Cos in Ex Yu he was one of the most beloved musician as the leader of the most popular band ever. And its music was very much different from that he's created in the last 2 decades, and I personally loved it very much. But at some point he took monopoly over folk gypsy music and modified it very smart especially as the film music.

A couple of years ago he also failed at the Eurosong when the big female Croatian Severina who was at the bottom of the list with his song "Heel" (Štikla) and everyone bet on her in our ex countries. But he failed again.

In the Bregovic case it's not about black or white, but only black and vice versa.

The main problem is that he tries to push so hard his "Balkan pop gypsy folk" as the exclusive music pattern from this area and this bother a lot of people here. We have excellent female composers and performers (have you heard for sisters Kovacz, one of them won the MTV award a couple of years ago) who for example appriciate Mika music etc.

And about jelaousy: yes, it's a typical Balkan and human reaction, but when you fed up with something that's keeps going all the time and you can't change it, I'll name it quite differently. :naughty:

With the Lena case I completely agree but her career is hardly predictible IMO.

I find this phenomenon quite interesting, I mean the internet is not a new thing. So why this didn't happen before, with some other country/singer (well, maybe did but not in this scale).

:dunno: I am only 'speculating' here, trying to put the pieces together afterwards. But Lena has definitely been an internet phenomenon over the last couple of weeks.

My guess is that it all started with cute boy Alexander Rybak who won ESC easily last year and a younger audience suddenly showed more interest in Eurovision. ( Alexander's support last year was probably much wider in terms of the age-group, I guess, and because it was everyone's favourite with almost all countries voting him as No1, this slight change in potential viewer profile went unnoticed).

So this year the young audience already showing interest in ESC easily took to sweet Lena and her catchy song with a singing style that seeminly resembles that of some cool UK singers like LA and KN.

Ooooooh, I remember them!!! I was 13 at the time and got TOTALLY obsessed with them, so I put all the cutoffs of their magazine interviews on my bedroom wall :naughty:, and looking back now it seems so pathetic :lmfao:

:dunno: I am only 'speculating' here, trying to put the pieces together afterwards. But Lena has definitely been an internet phenomenon over the last couple of weeks.

My guess is that it all started with cute boy Alexander Rybak who won ESC easily last year and a younger audience suddenly showed more interest in Eurovision. ( Alexander's support last year was probably much wider in terms of the age-group, I guess, and because it was everyone's favourite with almost all countries voting him as No1, this slight change in potential viewer profile went unnoticed).

So this year the young audience already showing interest in ESC easily took to sweet Lena and her catchy song with a singing style that seeminly resembles that of some cool UK singers like LA and KN.

You are right, how could I forget Alexander :doh: Btw, he did a lot of promotion for Lena too :teehee:

Ooooooh, I remember them!!! I was 13 at the time and got TOTALLY obsessed with them, so I put all the cutoffs of their magazine interviews on my bedroom wall :naughty:, and looking back now it seems so pathetic :lmfao:

Yes, I remember them too :aah::aah: :roftl:

Does anyone remember the Swiss entry from 1988? :teehee:

Of course I do, since then she made a meteoric success! After Abba the greatest ever. But there quite were different times back then:aah:

This Serbian song stucks in my head:aah:

Balkan, Balkan, Balkan, Ovo je Balkan blah blah blah:roftl:

Moldavia had an awesome saxophone player. I like the saxophone part, the rest wasn't sooooooo good. Some one has to create a new song, only with the saxophone and violine parts:naughty:

This Serbian song stucks in my head:aah:

Balkan, Balkan, Balkan, Ovo je Balkan blah blah blah:roftl:

Moldavia had an awesome saxophone player. I like the saxophone part, the rest wasn't sooooooo good. Some one has to create a new song, only with the saxophone and violine parts:naughty:

LOL! That's the word you can understand very good:aah:

The lyrics were not the best part of any song in English though.

Lena's song has very shallow lyrics as well, especially the chorus. :naughty:

But it's very catchy so you don't pay attention that much.:teehee:

Nothing at all!!

Yeah, and then I google-translated "I do understand you"

:lmfao: love Google translate, I wanted to say "I do understand you"

They say in tv, Spain entry is being the most downloaded clip about Eurovision right now, why that would be :teehee:

Congrats Germany again!!, especially mariposa-perhonita who loves this contest :flowers2:

It was shameful, that man jumping on stage to boycott the Spanish song. Worst of all is that he himself was Spanish :blink:

Does anyone remember the Swiss entry from 1988? :teehee:

Celine! :thumb_yello:

LAST really , I mean just as we have the pound and metric and are an Island .. last!:shocked:

Europe hates us :aah:

UK's song was a bit X Factor :fisch::naughty:

Well, it is always the same. Many countries don't vote songs but neighbour countries :dunno:

Archived