Le Retour aux sources de Mika - L'Orient le Jour 04-08-2008

cubitus

wouldn't an article about mika that list's a surname none of us have heard before that he may use for more private things, as well as listing his relatives names be against the privacy rules on the site? i understand that it's a public article. however it's an article that was written for french speaking lebanon. it's pretty much a local paper. the article is 2 years old and is just now making it to the mfc. which says to me it was that small of an article. it's not fully meant for public eyes and doesn't seem like an article to have on a public forum about him. other "harmless" articles have caused him problems as well. such as the article that's linked to wikipedia about where his family lives and how his bright pink door is a dead give away that it's his house and has since then lead to people camping outside of his parents house. some public articles shouldn't be relinked. especially older ones from when he wasn't as big then as he is now.

I see what you mean but still , it's not as if he lives there...I honestly can't see how anyone can harm him only by knowing people related to him.

We all know that Audrey Mekattaf , his cousin , participated in the chorus of lollipop and WAG...he talks about it publically , and L'orient le jour isn't exactely a local news paper , I read it every day on the internet.

But if Mods considers it against the privacy policy , then of course , I won't mind it being deleted...:thumb_yello:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest if it wasn't for the public eyes it wouldn't be in a newspaper at all, no matter how local.

well with that kind of logic just because you bought his album that gives you the right to know every single thing about him. the last time i checked mika was allowed to still have a sort of private life.

I see what you mean but still , it's not as if he lives there...I honestly can't see how anyone can harm him only by knowing people related to him.

We all know that Audrey Mekattaf , his cousin , participated in the chorus of lollipop and WAG...he talks about it publically , and L'orient le jour isn't exactely a local news paper , I read it every day on the internet.

But if Mods considers it against the privacy policy , then of course , I won't mind it being deleted...:thumb_yello:

you're from lebanon. it's a lebanese paper. you're part of what i mean by "local eyes only" and yes he is very open about his cousin. but that's one cousin. not all of them...

Okay, I tried my best to translate, but had to use google translate on some things. :blush-anim-cl:

Affter four years of war against Lebanon and its muti-cultural entinty, the downtown Beirut has shone a thousand lights on the night of Sunday, 27 of July, the New Lebanese- American pop star, Mika Penniman Moaccad, born in Beirut on August 18 1983, has thrown a new life of happyness & peace that has invaded the Lebanese youth, to whom she spoke with emotion in Arabic French & English. This concert was fenced world tour to accompany the debut alubm, "Life in Cartoon Motion" the young singer, who lives in London following a concert on July 4 @ Parc des Princes in Paris and a concert July 4 in (I think that's a city..) Amman, Jordan. The next day, Mika visited family (?) Origined Grandmother; Alexandra Farah Alexander Salha whre he dined at the house Raymond Salha and Amale near the (?) to the enjoyment of his many cousins from the host after a unforgettible evening in Beirut Thanks to.. (?) , Lebanon continues to purpetuate .. (?)

sorry, My french is not the best. :roftl:

well with that kind of logic just because you bought his album that gives you the right to know every single thing about him. the last time i checked mika was allowed to still have a sort of private life.

you're from lebanon. it's a lebanese paper. you're part of what i mean by "local eyes only" and yes he is very open about his cousin. but that's one cousin. not all of them...

I do understand what you mean, but if it's a local paper that puts articles from the paper edition onto the internet edition too, then it's pretty much open for anyone to see, if they are looking for interviews or articles about him.

I think if he had a problem with them publishing the details of this visit, he would have stopped it being printed by now.

And you are right, it does say in the FAQs, that his family are not up for grabs, for want of a better phrase, so I guess it's up to the admin/mods to use whatever discrection they think appropriate.

wouldn't an article about mika that list's a surname none of us have heard before that he may use for more private things, as well as listing his relatives names be against the privacy rules on the site? i understand that it's a public article. however it's an article that was written for french speaking lebanon. it's pretty much a local paper. the article is 2 years old and is just now making it to the mfc. which says to me it was that small of an article. it's not fully meant for public eyes and doesn't seem like an article to have on a public forum about him. other "harmless" articles have caused him problems as well. such as the article that's linked to wikipedia about where his family lives and how his bright pink door is a dead give away that it's his house and has since then lead to people camping outside of his parents house. some public articles shouldn't be relinked. especially older ones from when he wasn't as big then as he is now.

To be honest if it wasn't for the public eyes it wouldn't be in a newspaper at all, no matter how local.

Suggesting that discussing information published in a newspaper is at the same level as demanding to know every single fact about Mika is quite the stretch. I agree with Caz - it was published in a newspaper, thus making it available for public consumption. And it was published relatively recently - Mika was already an uberstar by 2008. This isn't some school newsletter from 1999 that someone dug up, for example. And judging from the picture, Mika and everyone in it willingly posed for it - it doesn't seem like some unscrupulous paparazzi were chasing him while he was trying to have a quiet day out with his family or something.

I appreciate your concern Jeanette, but I just don't see this as being against our guidelines. :dunno:

Let me repeat myself: It's in a newspaper. It's not like one crazy fan stalked him and took random pictures of him with his family and posted it here. And as for the bolded part, that is something I do not appreciate. I have been here since 2007 and everyone who has known me for a long period of time will know that I am a very respectful fan and would never pry into his private life. A private life should have what it says on the tin: Privacy. I know that, I respect that, and I abide by that. Do I agree with Paparrazzi shots? No.

Is this a Paparrazzi shot? No, it isn't. And oh look - the article is about his cousins and oh! Look again! The picture is of Mika and his cousins. Do you not think that this photo was taken for the article? Do you not think that Mika knew it was gonna be in a newspaper?

If this local newspaper had information about an upcoming Mika gig or a new release, would you say "it can't be posted because it's just a local newspaper and not for public consumption"? I don't think so.

Newspapers don't just circulated in paper form, it's on the internet too. That's how newspapers get their circulation figures (circulation is often/always higher than readership. Readership is when someone buys it, circulation is when it gets passed around. As far as I remember. I haven't studied Media for about 3 years. Now I feel old.) We've all discovered that we can find almost anything on the net. Look at the 2007 pictures of Mika Dani found - would you rather they weren't posted because they were so long ago? Well, it's an official photoshoot, so why not.

Look at the section we're in - it's called "Mika news and press". This is exactly what this is.

Let me repeat myself: It's in a newspaper. It's not like one crazy fan stalked him and took random pictures of him with his family and posted it here. And as for the bolded part, that is something I do not appreciate. I have been here since 2007 and everyone who has known me for a long period of time will know that I am a very respectful fan and would never pry into his private life. A private life should have what it says on the tin: Privacy. I know that, I respect that, and I abide by that. Do I agree with Paparrazzi shots? No.

Is this a Paparrazzi shot? No, it isn't. And oh look - the article is about his cousins and oh! Look again! The picture is of Mika and his cousins. Do you not think that this photo was taken for the article? Do you not think that Mika knew it was gonna be in a newspaper?

If this local newspaper had information about an upcoming Mika gig or a new release, would you say "it can't be posted because it's just a local newspaper and not for public consumption"? I don't think so.

Newspapers don't just circulated in paper form, it's on the internet too. That's how newspapers get their circulation figures (circulation is often/always higher than readership. Readership is when someone buys it, circulation is when it gets passed around. As far as I remember. I haven't studied Media for about 3 years. Now I feel old.) We've all discovered that we can find almost anything on the net. Look at the 2007 pictures of Mika Dani found - would you rather they weren't posted because they were so long ago? Well, it's an official photoshoot, so why not.

Look at the section we're in - it's called "Mika news and press". This is exactly what this is.

I know caz that it's in a news paper and that you look at it as something that's open for everyone to see, and it kind of is. This is from 2008, and no one have found it before, which in my eyes kind of shows the exact things I've been saying, that it's not really written for everyone. and no this isn't a paparazzi shot, and I guess he knew it was gonna be in this article, but that's not what I'm reacting on. What I think is weird is that a part of the forum rules says that he's family is not a part of his public profile, and that they're not suppose to be discussed at this forum, which they are with this article.

I just thought this was against your own forum rules, which I guess you all would like to be following, and I just wanted to mention that! what you wish to do with it, that's completely up to you and the moderators of this site to deal with, I still think this shouldn't be posted her mainly because of his family's private life to be hold private!

I know caz that it's in a news paper and that you look at it as something that's open for everyone to see, and it kind of is. This is from 2008, and no one have found it before, which in my eyes kind of shows the exact things I've been saying, that it's not really written for everyone. and no this isn't a paparazzi shot, and I guess he knew it was gonna be in this article, but that's not what I'm reacting on. What I think is weird is that a part of the forum rules says that he's family is not a part of his public profile, and that they're not suppose to be discussed at this forum, which they are with this article.

I just thought this was against your own forum rules, which I guess you all would like to be following, and I just wanted to mention that! what you wish to do with it, that's completely up to you and the moderators of this site to deal with, I still think this shouldn't be posted her mainly because of his family's private life to be hold private!

But it isn't private because it's in a newspaper! The photo was taken for the newspaper for everyone to see. I know it was done in 2008 or whatever year it was, yes we overlooked it at the time, but now it's been found. It's an official newspaper with an official article and the public are allowed to read it. If Mika and his cousins didn't want to be in the public eye they wouldn't be in the photo. What about Mika's vlogs, where some of his family members are in his videos? Do you not watch them because it's personal even though Mika has put it on YouTube for everyone to see? Or what about the video in French where Mika shows you everything behind the scenes and you've got Mika's mum and sister Paloma in it? Do you not watch that because it includes his family members?

If photos were privated (say it's a photo from a photo account that belonged to a family member) and someone hacked into the account and got it, that is different. The photo would be removed from this site because it was in fact private and not for our eyes to see, but because this particular photo/information is in a public newspaper the rules of privacy do not apply. Do you get what I'm saying? I totally understand your perspective about privacy of family and whatever...I wouldn't post a picture of his family against their will but because the photo is in a newspaper, Mika has "Okay'd" it to be seen by the public. We are the public. We are allowed to see it. If Mika didn't want people to see it, he wouldn't have had the photo taken.

I know caz that it's in a news paper and that you look at it as something that's open for everyone to see, and it kind of is. This is from 2008, and no one have found it before, which in my eyes kind of shows the exact things I've been saying, that it's not really written for everyone.

I don't understand what you're getting at by saying "it's not really written for everyone." It's either public or it's not, and in this case it's public. Why is it acceptable for Cubitus and other regular readers of this newspaper to view this information, but no one else?

Unless we have reason to believe that this photograph and the information in this article was dug up without the family's permission, then it's public information.

But it isn't private because it's in a newspaper! The photo was taken for the newspaper for everyone to see. I know it was done in 2008 or whatever year it was, yes we overlooked it at the time, but now it's been found. It's an official newspaper with an official article and the public are allowed to read it. If Mika and his cousins didn't want to be in the public eye they wouldn't be in the photo. What about Mika's vlogs, where some of his family members are in his videos? Do you not watch them because it's personal even though Mika has put it on YouTube for everyone to see? Or what about the video in French where Mika shows you everything behind the scenes and you've got Mika's mum and sister Paloma in it? Do you not watch that because it includes his family members?

If photos were privated (say it's a photo from a photo account that belonged to a family member) and someone hacked into the account and got it, that is different. The photo would be removed from this site because it was in fact private and not for our eyes to see, but because this particular photo/information is in a public newspaper the rules of privacy do not apply. Do you get what I'm saying? I totally understand your perspective about privacy of family and whatever...I wouldn't post a picture of his family against their will but because the photo is in a newspaper, Mika has "Okay'd" it to be seen by the public. We are the public. We are allowed to see it. If Mika didn't want people to see it, he wouldn't have had the photo taken.

Yes, I do understand what you mean, and I absolutely agree about not posting even more private things. But I still think this is against the rules too, because there are a lot of personal information in there, which to be honest I don't think none of us would like to be public if it was us in that situation either. This is posted in a news paper, yes! and everyone who finds it are allowed to read it, yes! but there are still a rule against talking about his family in this forum, and that was what I reacted the most to, because I think it is too much private information about them. and I do watch the v-logs and the videos with his family in it, of course I do! They being in it is something they've chosen to do, but I still think discussing his family isn't something we should do on his fan forum. That's my opinion on it!

So yes, I do get what you are saying, but do you understand what I mean and why I don't think this should be discussed at this forum? or is it just me who thinks this has too much information about his family to be discussed here?

Yes, I do understand what you mean, and I absolutely agree about not posting even more private things. But I still think this is against the rules too, because there are a lot of personal information in there, which to be honest I don't think none of us would like to be public if it was us in that situation either. This is posted in a news paper, yes! and everyone who finds it are allowed to read it, yes! but there are still a rule against talking about his family in this forum, and that was what I reacted the most to, because I think it is too much private information about them. and I do watch the v-logs and the videos with his family in it, of course I do! They being in it is something they've chosen to do, but I still think discussing his family isn't something we should do on his fan forum. That's my opinion on it!

So yes, I do get what you are saying, but do you understand what I mean and why I don't think this should be discussed at this forum? or is it just me who thinks this has too much information about his family to be discussed here?

Yes, we do generally avoid discussing Mika's

family members who want to stay out of the limelight. The actual

guideline on this subject reads as follows:

4. Since Mika's family are not public figures, posting photographs of them

that are not officially taken at publicity events, or soliciting personal

information about them, is not permitted. Keep in mind that Mika, his band

and management, and his family and friends read these boards at times.

As you can see, this article does not fall under this guideline at all.

This was a newspaper item, not a paparazzi photo -- and further, this

wasn't something that any MFCer solicited. It was an article published

in a newspaper, with a photograph taken for the newspaper. I really

don't think we're crossing any privacy boundaries in commenting on an

article that has already been published by people who clearly didn't mind

getting their photo or having their information printed in a paper that was

going to be available both in print and online for hundred of people to see.

We're not publishing anyone's address, or giving out details about their

bank account or love life -- it's just a little news item. :thumb_yello:

:sweatdrop: I didn't know that posting the article would make such a deal , I didn't even search for it , I came across it while I was on a site talking about lebanese worldwide and I saw Mika in it , I didn't want to post the article at first but I couldn't resist the temptation of sharing this with you...

for all we know, this picture may have been supplied to the newspaper, along with the names by one of his family member. :dunno:

and about the "pink door comment" made earlier on this post.... 99% of us wouldn't have known about that, had it not been for Mika himself mentioning it in a few interviews. :blush-anim-cl:

:sweatdrop: I didn't know that posting the article would make such a deal , I didn't even search for it , I came across it while I was on a site talking about lebanese worldwide and I saw Mika in it , I didn't want to post the article at first but I couldn't resist the temptation of sharing this with you...

cubitus, what you did is fine :huglove:

it's a newspaper made to be read by the public. we are the public. :wink2:

Archived