Mika - Sunday Telegraph 15/8/10 - The boy from Beirut

Naectegale

He says all this in the well-modulated English accent that speaks of spells at some of London’s finer schools. Curiously, when I listen back to him on tape, he sounds a touch American. However, he says that when he arrived in London:‘ I talked like zees all ze time.’ He worked hard to eradicate his French-accented English.

:blink::shocked::lmfao:

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this interview made me :wub2::tears::shocked::biggrin2::boxed::fangurl::swoon: all at the same time. :naughty:

thanx for posting! :thumb_yello:

the part about his name was interesting... from what it sounds like there, he might not have changed it because people pronounced "mica" the wrong way, but because the k looked better on his album cover than the c? well, it certainly does, that's an interesting new point of view for me. :naughty:

Oh :teehee:, very interesting interview. I love it. Thanks for posting and scanning!

I wonder why he's suddenly being so open about all these things, and how he's even talking about his family in such detail. He was always harping on about the whole "my mum is Lebanese" thing, that it's interesting how he is now telling the detail of it: that she wasn't actually born in Lebanon, and not even raised there either, but that his family was very influenced by the Lebanese thing, hence why she and he call themselves Lebanese.

I do love the fact that he finally feels comfortable to talk about all these things openly, and telling them as they are. It's like his sexuality: I like the fact that he's openly saying that he'd fall in love with a man no problem (in fact, he mentions the man before the woman which adds up to my own theories :fisch: ) and that he doesn't get any flack for it. This is how it should be, but it's taken a long time for him to feel like he could say this in public, so I'm happy that he's able to now.

Whoe! Love the interview! Aaaand the picture on the frontpage! Very, very beautiful! :wub2: Just googled sunday telegraph seven and there it was: one of the best pictures of Mika I've ever seen...(you can make some kind of frame on the site so you can make a print without the letters on it...will look lovely with my other posters :mf_lustslow:) Thank you for posting!

Ages since I read an article on Mika like that, where I actually learned something new (about his parents). Thanks for posting.

My in-laws get the Telegraph and my husband is over at their house today so chances are he'll be bringing the magazine back with him saying 'Look who's in the Telegraph!" :naughty: Too late dear, already seen it :naughty:. Nobody beats MFC, nobody :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

Ages since I read an article on Mika like that, where I actually learned something new (about his parents). Thanks for posting.

My in-laws get the Telegraph and my husband is over at their house today so chances are he'll be bringing the magazine back with him saying 'Look who's in the Telegraph!" :naughty: Too late dear, already seen it :naughty:. Nobody beats MFC, nobody :mf_rosetinted::naughty:

You are so lucky! I want that magazine for real too! :blink:

Thanks so much for the article guys. Brings out some interesting facts. He actually seems to be speaking very frankly in this interview.

Loving the khaki shorts. :pinkbow:

Who was more artifice than art – his familial nickname from infancy was Mica, but he changed it to Mika ‘ because all the angles and lines in my name were straight, sharp angles. And the “ c” was weak.’

This is the only version of this name-changing story that makes any sense to me - that he was trying to create a better looking logo. I don't know about Brits but Americans would never pronounce "Mica" like "Misha". And Mika is far more likely to be pronounced "Myka", since it looks like Mike.

But Mika isn’t in fact a weirdly gifted man-child from Planet Kooky.

I love this sentence. :teehee:

He’s just a confused and perhaps lonely man with a slightly eccentric family

I wonder what prompted them to make this comment about him perhaps being lonely...it doesn't seem to be expanded on in the rest of the article.

I don’t know what percentage of my story that I believe to be true is actually true. But I don’t want to know the truth. I prefer the version I know.’

And therein lies the truth about Mika's truths. :naughty:

That was what launched me into a [ record company] bidding war.’

Interesting. We had someone hanging around MFC in the early days claiming to be an insider who said that there was a bidding war to sign Mika, which was in contradiction to his story at the time of being constantly rejected by record companies.

Although I imagine Mika is partial to a toga.

:lmfao: Perhaps.

Why would that be the case when I am the way I am? When I dress the way that I dress? When I sing the songs that I sing? When I dance the way that I dance? It’s not consciously androgynous. But it’s certainly not a sellable version of masculinity.’

You mean he looks and acts what society labels gay and he knows it?? Who would have thought it??! :shocked::teehee:

But my music is not fashion. It’s not sound. It’s not scene. I was never accepted into a scene. I tried! And I would have liked it! But I can’t and I just don’t know how to do it. I don’t know how to make any other type of music than the music I make.’

Oh thank god for that! Scenes and sounds come and go. The ones of the past 20 years have been particularly boring and forgettable. I'm glad he's doing his own thing as it will stand the test of time better than the music of many of his peers.

Thank you for posting!

I didn't understand the whole article:teehee:

There were some expressions,that I did not really understand,but it was great.

It was a really melting article.I'm glad to see how opened did he speak about his feelings and about his family.There were parts where I almost stoped reading.

I agree with you.He looks soo gorgeous and handsome:teehee:

Archived