82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Discussion

This is no plagiarism though, and I doubt if Mika has even heard ' set fire to the rain'

I'd be willing to bet that Mika heard Set Fire to the Rain before you or I did because he and Adele are mates.

(Not that I'm saying he's plagiarized of course. :teehee:)

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

does a song need to sound "modern" to be good? to me - No. this one especially musically is brilliant in my ears (and I love the french language here, plus in elle me dit of course)

Totally agree with you. What I consider important in a song is the melody and the feelings it reflects. I love Karen's melody and the way the story is told is very moving. It's such a special song:wub2:

Totally agree with you. What I consider important in a song is the melody and the feelings it reflects. I love Karen's melody and the way the story is told is very moving. It's such a special song:wub2:

+1 :thumb_yello:

Agree :thumb_yello: and hearing Karen in a small theatre and Mika at the piano :swoon::swoon: may be moving at the same time exciting :wub2:

Although I know 'viva la vida' by coldplay, I don't think Karen ever sounds like it.

You might want to re-listen then :roftl: It is not the melody itself though, but a ‘riff’. It was used already in one particular remix of Rain that Mika played on the Imaginarium tour, so that’s almost like his. :teehee:

I doubt he will use it on the album though, it is really a direct take. Or he can credit Coldplay or whoever they stole it from as they were actually sued for stealing it from someone else.

Sorry, dont see how this song could be second rate or not singing. Maybe you are talking about Elle Me Dit. IMO this is not mika's best song ever, but is still really catchy ( I'm always going round singing 'danse ,

Danse, danse!)

People’s expectations and musical tastes are different. I personally consider EMD as a ‘better crafted’ song than this one.EMD is kind of silly but perfect for 12-16 year olds.

82 RdM would be more to my taste and I like the verses but the way the chorus is building up sounds awkward to me and in my view, it doesn’t really match the verses. And then there is the Coldplay bit of course, that doesn't even seem to be an integral part of the song. All in all, it is not what I’d call a masterpiece in this form. He may have changed it during recording and arranging though, so let’s see what comes out of it on the record. :dunno:

People’s expectations and musical tastes are different. I personally consider EMD as a ‘better crafted’ song than this one.EMD is kind of silly but perfect for 12-16 year olds.

82 RdM would be more to my taste and I like the verses but the way the chorus is building up sounds awkward to me and in my view, it doesn’t really match the verses. And then there is the Coldplay bit of course, that doesn't even seem to be an integral part of the song. All in all, it is not what I’d call a masterpiece in this form. He may have changed it during recording and arranging though, so let’s see what comes out of it on the record. :dunno:

I'm forced to agree with you. This song is a bit clumsy and ill at ease to me,

But if it will be slightly redone, it could be a good song.

You might want to re-listen then :roftl: It is not the melody itself though, but a ‘riff’. It was used already in one particular remix of Rain that Mika played on the Imaginarium tour, so that’s almost like his. :teehee:

I doubt he will use it on the album though, it is really a direct take. Or he can credit Coldplay or whoever they stole it from as they were actually sued for stealing it from someone else.

I adore that riff in songs :aah: That remix of Rain, and Viva La Vida are my two favourite songs :wub2:

It's a special song to me as well :wub2:

listening to it as we speak, it gives me goosebumps

I love this song too :wub2: I always have a special feeling when I listen to it, the melody, lyrics, the way Mika pronounces some words just kill me. Especially the beginning of the Compiègne version ('Elle voudrait une vie meilleure que ses frères et ses soeurs qui sont rentrés dans les rangs' this particular line sounds 'delicious' to me :wub2:)

I hope it will not change too much on the recorded version.

I love this song too :wub2: I always have a special feeling when I listen to it, the melody, lyrics, the way Mika pronounces some words just kill me. Especially the beginning of the Compiègne version ('Elle voudrait une vie meilleure que ses frères et ses soeurs qui sont rentrés dans les rangs' this particular line sounds 'delicious' to me :wub2:)

I hope it will not change too much on the recorded version.

Same here, "Karen" became one of my most-favorite Mika-songs. It's really a very special song for me.

I hope, too, that he doesn't change too much - the "Compiegne version" is just perfect :wub2:

I agree with everybody who agreed with me:roftl::roftl: I think it's a brilliant sophisticated song viva freedom etc. (not sure about this one tiny viva la vida moment but only because it's sth associated with coldplay and Mika is so wonderfully eclectic that sometimes people think of sth begins with plagi.....:wink2:

but Mika has his own unique style and there's noone like him so I'm not really "afraid" of this "p" word:wink2:

This song is one of my favs too. I had two favorites before: Grace Kelly and Toy Boy. And this one climbed to #3 since the very first time I listened to it. It didn´t happen with Underwater... I first hated it. Now I like it too, but what happened with this song, never happened with any other of Mika´s songs.

This song is one of my favs too. I had two favorites before: Grace Kelly and Toy Boy. And this one climbed to #3 since the very first time I listened to it. It didn´t happen with Underwater... I first hated it. Now I like it too, but what happened with this song, never happened with any other of Mika´s songs.

Yes, I agree - it's certainly up there with my favourites - which are Lady Jane/ HMDYLM/Relax.

Yes, I agree - it's certainly up there with my favourites - which are Lady Jane/ HMDYLM/Relax.

I think I need to re-listen to HMDYLM cause I never liked it... in fact the first time I listened to it I was sure it was a joke... I mean... I thought it has no structure...

In its defence I must say that I never found a link to that song with good quality...

I am still not feeling this song and don't suppose I ever will. I have changed my mind on a couple of cringeworthy songs when I hear them live but Karen is just boring to me. I feel the same way about Dr. John and My Interpretation. You can't win 'em all I suppose. :naughty:

I am still not feeling this song and don't suppose I ever will. I have changed my mind on a couple of cringeworthy songs when I hear them live but Karen is just boring to me. I feel the same way about Dr. John and My Interpretation. You can't win 'em all I suppose. :naughty:

I'm afraid it will be the contrary for me; that I will never really like the recorded version because I loved the live version so much.

I feel the same about My Interpretation, I like it; it's pleasant, but it doesn't have a real effect on me.

I think I need to re-listen to HMDYLM cause I never liked it... in fact the first time I listened to it I was sure it was a joke... I mean... I thought it has no structure...

In its defence I must say that I never found a link to that song with good quality...

:original:

I adore HMDYLM (it's esctatic) (but I don't want it on TOOL:mf_rosetinted: )

but I don't have any problems with someone not liking it :original::thumb_yello:

just a q.... what's the thing with the "structure"??:shocked:

I mean you only like songs that have "verse, chorus, verse, chorus, verse, chorus or sth like that?

I know people need to have a "full figure" of sth , it feels good for them...I guess I also need to have sth like a "full figure" for me...although I must say I love sth like "chaotic surrounding" whatever it means....

but personally I never felt any of Mika's songs didn't have that "full figure" (and I don't mean "they're obvious and perfectly understable" I mean sth like "sth HUGE is missing here-sure some demos sounded more like ideas sometimes...BUT..)

I'm afraid it will be the contrary for me; that I will never really like the recorded version because I loved the live version so much.

That's why I don't see the point in him recording How Much Do You Love Me. I think it was a very special song for those who "knew" Mika at the time and were at the Dodgy Holiday shows and would lose whatever magic it held if he put it on a record all these years later.

Maybe I would feel differently about Karen if I could understand the nuances of French but I just think it's not my kind of song. There always seems to be too many syllables crammed into these French songs (I find the French version of Grace Kelly unbearable in that respect). It works with Elle Me Dit because the tempo matches but with GK and Karen there is just too much going on for the melody.

but personally I never felt any of Mika's songs didn't have that "full figure" (and I don't mean "they're obvious and perfectly understable" I mean sth like "sth HUGE is missing here-sure some demos sounded more like ideas sometimes...BUT..)

I think HMDYLM still sounded like it was at the demo stage (the same way that Rain was when he first performed it).

That's why I don't see the point in him recording How Much Do You Love Me. I think it was a very special song for those who "knew" Mika at the time and were at the Dodgy Holiday shows and would lose whatever magic it held if he put it on a record all these years later.

I would agree totally with Christine's point. HMDYLM just sums up the whole 'early' Mika experience. Taken out of context it probably doesn't really stand up and I don't think he will ever record it.

...this song (82..) "climbs" it "builds" ...he tells the story...he is so brilliant in it....in Poland we have a strong category of so called "actor's song" . songs sung and interpret by actors (now some cabaret people do it better than "real singers"...)....and Mika has this strong ability to be an unbelievable pop singer plus amazing actor -interpretator-story teller

Edited by Melisanda