Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Musically, I like the way it builds gradually (although I

cringe every time I hear the strings do the Coldplay

bit :teehee: ) and the driving beat conveys some emotion to me without

going nuts. I think Mika's voice is perfect in this -- really showcases his

range, and I especially love every time he reaches, "Elle est leeeeeeeeeeeee

berrrrrrr, elle est leeeeeeeeeeeee berrrrrrrrrrrr..."

Agreed. His voice sounds so "Mika" on that part - that's the Mika sound I first fell in love with. :blush-anim-cl:

I can see it already...

*sings"

"Nikjass, full of class, see you shake that pretty...glass...:mf_rosetinted:"

:lmfao::lmfao:

I think my version is better :mf_rosetinted:

"Sariflor me dit do this, Sariflor me dit do this....lalalaa lalalal"

no, it was the other way round. :cool:

It was Coldplay's tune originally, although someone already sued them for stealing it from some guitarist.

oh yes.. now I remember.!:naughty:

this song begining remind me "Vi vala Vida" of Coldplay:naughty:

:blink:Mature is the last adjective I would use for EMD.

..and an unstructured song like Karen is not going to take him anywhere.

I think if half of his long term fans don't like these, it is a sign for him and not for us :dunno:

Anyway, people are posting their opinions because they care and I am sure they will be here to listen to the third album, too, and decide if they want to take part in the game for the coming years or not.

Very well said :biggrin2:

No my dear. Karin is Mellody on MFC.

Sorry folks I forget we have more ppl in here these days and assumed everyone understood who I meant :boxed:

:blush-anim-cl:my mistake. but hey, I'm new here, and I don't know all these things:crybaby:

I wish someone who is into music composition would analyse his new songs. I long to know if there's a technical reason for them to be so dull.

Well, I like to analyse songs (as to why I like or dislike them), and since no-one volunteered to do so, let me try to explain how I feel about it right now...

You can't sing along to this song instantly. But to my mind the melody is fascinating nevertheless - really fascinating. At the beginning "82, rue de martyrs" is a little bit like a chanson. But then the songs turns and gets "wide" and positive - and you can feel the freedom.

Ok, so as I mentioned on the other thread, I gave a listen to it this morning with a clear head, so let me try to explain how I feel when I listen to it as it has been bugging me why I don't like it when many other fans do. (:teehee:)

Earlier I said it was unstructured but I take it back. It is a house built of bricks that looks really nice from the outside but at parts there are huge gaps between the bricks and the mortar is not holding it together - for me.

I like the verse parts, especially the way he sings them. They are not that melodic but I actually enjoy that. I think it is very typical in French chansons that you have verses that follow the way one speaks.

When he starts the 'chorus'(the first part of which is more like a verse that builds up the chorus) it is somehow a big jump from the verse and sounds as if it did not really match the style but was written because this is how you are supposed to build up a song - a bit unnatural but still ok. An then he sings 'elle est libre'x2 that is supposed to be the line it all culminates to but it sounds a bit strange to me that way. After that almost the same thing is repeated with a proper (and rather predictable) ending : "Chante au Bistro 82". Then we have the Coldplay bit , after which the second verse starts, dropping to a different level again. However, this time, when the chorus returns we get the drums and the guitar with the clichéd sound you find in several pop/rock ballads from the 80s/90s across Europe. In fact, the sound that would make people call it a rock song because it has a guitar in it... (:roftl: )

It is not a bad song but I don't find it exciting. :dunno: I don't even want it in English as the verses clearly make it a French song and it would only get spoiled if sung in another language.

So, it does not really work for me but I can totally understand why people like it.:thumb_yello:

Edited by suzie

I have lived in a french speaking country for a long time now, and even if it isn't my mother tongue I can say that the lyrics are interesting and very mikalike. Also the melody is quite good. The only problem is the arrangement, that reminds me of some French songs from the 80's (Michel Sardou for exemple) and not as "modern" or innovating as I would like it to sound.

:blink: Calm down, mine is just an opinion like yours :dunno:

I might even change my mind when I hear the recorded version.

I don't find the live version particularly sophisticated,even though he sings it really well.

Sophistication and catchiness are not mutually exclusive, btw, :cool:

calm down?? why? I'm calm , I'm just being expressive. I am an emotional person and this is emotional. I'm not necessarily here to make cold scientific analyses (although I'm capable to do that too..)

And I don't like being patronized like that!

I will use exclamation marks whenever I want!

And when I say sth opossite to an opinion I read it doesn't mean that I want you to change your opinion/. not at all. I just want to say mine, so I don't understand that : "mine is just an opinion like yours :dunno: "

it's obvious

I have lived in a french speaking country for a long time now, and even if it isn't my mother tongue I can say that the lyrics are interesting and very mikalike. Also the melody is quite good. The only problem is the arrangement, that reminds me of some French songs from the 80's (Michel Sardou for exemple) and not as "modern" or innovating as I would like it to sound.

Yes, I also think is sounds very characteristically French. I am not sure what would constitute to a modern French sound (I only know Yelle from recent years) but I think you have a point with that. I like songs from the 80s but Mika might want to move on a bit. Or at least that's what people are expecting him to do and that is also what he makes us believe he is working on.

This one is my absolute favourite! I love the story, the structure, the melody and arrangements! When Mika played it in Compiegne it had great reception instantly with everyone clapping and it was applauded afterwards.

I'd love to see him go in that direction more. I like Elle Me Dit as it is catchy but it is the songs like 82 rue.. that allow him to explore his possibilities.

As far as Blame It On The Weather is concerned I'm not a fan - it's too Disney-like imho but perhaps it'll grow when I listen to the final album version:blink:

I know this has nothing to do with me but i've been reading this thread since the beginning and all your posts have an agressive tone...

I don't know what suzie thinks of it but this being a public forum i've read it and it annoys me...

This is a thread about a song and we can discuss it and analyse it but with respect and calm...yes, calm...you say you're calm but your posts denote quite the opposite...

You can always post your opinions in a respectful way...

Please try to keep cool and above all respect other people...:wink2:

Thanks for the warning, Wonka, not going to read this thread too closely :thumb_yello:

I have heard Karen now three times live and I love it every time more and more. It reminds me how I heard Rain for the first time, and how it evolved and changed and how much I still love it live (gorgeous Rain last night in Ajaccio). Karen is totally "my song", I mean something that touches from the first listening, even I need to lean on translations with lyrics. I'm going to take my time before analyzing it all. First I want to enjoy a bit :wub2:

i just listened to it again and i was wonderin at the start i can hear this

"Karen a 20 ans oui, mais Karen a rien d"autre"

is that possible?

Yes this is exactly what he says :wink2: Your French is great! :thumb_yello:

Yes this is exactly what he says :wink2: Your French is great! :thumb_yello:

nah, my french is'nt great:blush-anim-cl:

i wish it was though:teehee:

but there's sooooo much words i don't know :sad:

i should take some french lessons again, i had it at school for 8 years, but had a teacher that hated me, so i just fooled around and didn't do my best, regretted it ever since i left highschool (and that's about 10 years ago :aah:)

nah, my french is'nt great:blush-anim-cl:

i wish it was though:teehee:

but there's sooooo much words i don't know :sad:

i should take some french lessons again, i had it at school for 8 years, but had a teacher that hated me, so i just fooled around and didn't do my best, regretted it ever since i left highschool (and that's about 10 years ago :aah:)

Well if that's of any interest I have taught French to British people a few years ago, that's actually my diploma even though I don't do that anymore. I've always said here on the MFC that if anybody wanted to learn/improve their French that would make me more than happy to help them.

I'm not so well known around here so I haven't had much demand yet :naughty: but maybe with Mika's French songs people will be more interested?

Anyway, you know where to find me :wink2:

Well if that's of any interest I have taught French to British people a few years ago, that's actually my diploma even though I don't do that anymore. I've always said here on the MFC that if anybody wanted to learn/improve their French that would make me more than happy to help them.

I'm not so well known around here so I haven't had much demand yet :naughty: but maybe with Mika's French songs people will be more interested?

Anyway, you know where to find me :wink2:

oh thanks that would be great actually :teehee:

Ok so where do we start? :biggrin2: (I guess not in this thread or we're going to be told off :teehee:)

i know there's thread for learning french, some others wanted to help to so, maybe there? i'll look for it and edit my post here when i've found it :teehee:

edit: found it :)http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16231&page=87

Edited by ilseh1983

Oh I need your help Camille :aah:

That actually makes me really happy :original:

Do you know how I could do that? Shall I start a thread? (that's not really my thing)

I'm going to need your help too :teehee: