82, rue des Martyrs (Karen) - Discussion

yeah me too:aah: can I join your french class Camille?:blush-anim-cl:

That would be a total YES if I had a French class :teehee: I don't really know where to start.. I mean, there's already a thread for French but other 'teachers' are supposed to be in there, I don't want to intrude, and I'm not sure about creating a thread..

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be a total YES if I had a French class :teehee: I don't really know where to start.. I mean, there's already a thread for French but other 'teachers' are supposed to be in there, I don't want to intrude, and I'm not sure about creating a thread..

hm, I don't really know what to say, as I'm kind of new here:teehee: but I think you can make a new thread in General discussion :dunno:

I just happen to have a thing about people singing in a different language to their own, it's not just Mika. I feel the same when I listen to a Catalan band singing in Spanish or English, or a Spanish artist singing English, etc...

Unless they are truly bilingual or native level speakers, to me it sounds wrong, no matter how good their English is. I can't help it.[/color]

I agree with you. It's something that always bugs me a bit too.

Mika singing in French sounds fine to my ear (as someone who speaks French but is English mother tongue), but not 100% flowing, as you say.

The Coldplay bit does bother me a great deal, too. Someone around him should really tell him how far he can go 'recycling' other artists' hooks as one day he will get into trouble. Maybe not with this one but if every other person on MFC spotted that, I don't how understand none of the people he works with dared to tell him. :no:

It concerns me a bit too. I don't know how much is just subconscious, and how much is carefully calculated recycling of tunes. Either way, he needs to be a little bit careful, as does any musician.

I agree with you. It's something that always bugs me a bit too.

Mika singing in French sounds fine to my ear (as someone who speaks French but is English mother tongue), but not 100% flowing, as you say.

I've finally read throughout this whole thread and I just wanted to comment on his French (it's a song in French after all so I guess I won't be off topic).

For me, contrary to some of you, his French is particularly flowing in 'Karen', much more than in the French version of GK (which is meant to be a song in English, and I learnt that English is a noise and French is a sound, so that couldn't fit well.. Memory of my phonetics lessons :aah:) and more than in EMD as well. And the reason for me is that he wrote it with the idea to create a French song, most likely to please French people/people used to listening to French songs.

As I wrote somewhere else, I think that with 'Karen' he has truly succeeded in writing a French song; words, voice, intonation, rhythm are in my opinion typical (but still Mikaish).

I personally think that he has put a lot of work in this song. I have the impression it is very well thought. It is clear that he had (probably a lot of) help for the lyrics. The level is 10 times higher than EMD, which sounds more like Mika wrote it on his own (:naughty:) But in Compiègne was the first time he sang it and he did it with total confidence (much more than BIOTW and more than the radio debut of EMD). I think it meant a lot for him.

OMG my post is so disorganised I can't even read back :aah: I don't really know what my point was at first. In summary I think his French is better than in any other song he has sung in French (or maybe equal to La Solitude, which is a typical French song too); and for me 'Karen' is close to being a masterpiece in French music like I haven't heard for a while. But that could be because I'm just too overwhelmed by it :wub2:

Sorry for my annoying post, I may now leave :blush-anim-cl:

I've finally read throughout this whole thread and I just wanted to comment on his French (it's a song in French after all so I guess I won't be off topic).

For me, contrary to some of you, his French is particularly flowing in 'Karen', much more than in the French version of GK (which is meant to be a song in English, and I learnt that English is a noise and French is a sound, so that couldn't fit well.. Memory of my phonetics lessons :aah:) and more than in EMD as well. And the reason for me is that he wrote it with the idea to create a French song, most likely to please French people/people used to listening to French songs.

As I wrote somewhere else, I think that with 'Karen' he has truly succeeded in writing a French song; words, voice, intonation, rhythm are in my opinion typical (but still Mikaish). I personally think that he has put a lot of work in this song. I have the impression it is very well thought. It is clear that he had (probably a lot of) help for the lyrics. The level is 10 times higher than EMD, which sounds more like Mika wrote it on his own (:naughty:) But in Compiègne was the first time he sang it and he did it with total confidence (much more than BIOTW and more than the radio debut of EMD). I think it meant a lot for him.

OMG my post is so disorganised I can't even read back :aah: I don't really know what my point was at first. In summary I think his French is better than in any other song he has sung in French (or maybe equal to La Solitude, which is a typical French song too); and for me 'Karen' is close to being a masterpiece in French music like I haven't heard for a while. But that could be because I'm just too overwhelmed by it :wub2:

Don't feel sorry Camille. I totally agree with the bolded parts :thumb_yello: I love "Karen" too

As I wrote somewhere else, I think that with 'Karen' he has truly succeeded in writing a French song; words, voice, intonation, rhythm are in my opinion typical (but still Mikaish).

I personally think that he has put a lot of work in this song. I have the impression it is very well thought. It is clear that he had (probably a lot of) help for the lyrics. The level is 10 times higher than EMD, which sounds more like Mika wrote it on his own (:naughty:) But in Compiègne was the first time he sang it and he did it with total confidence (much more than BIOTW and more than the radio debut of EMD). I think it meant a lot for him.

Your post makes lots of sense:biggrin2: I agree with you:wink2:

I so agree with you :mf_rosetinted:

I've just seen an article about the bar mentioned in this song: http://www.leparisien.fr/paris-75/son-bar-a-inspire-mika-20-07-2011-1538332.php

Sorry I can't translate it now as I'm at work :teehee: And sorry if already posted!

Thank you for posting. I've seen a translation on my computer. It said that someone from TM went into the bistro and said they would soon have a surprise, then a few days later they found out about the song dedicated to their establishment. Apparently, the real Karen is known there, and she's a bit of a star now.

Thanks for posting Camille :original:

You're very welcome

Thank you for posting. I've seen a translation on my computer. It said that someone from TM went into the bistro and said they would soon have a surprise, then a few days later they found out about the song dedicated to their establishment. Apparently, the real Karen is known there, and she's a bit of a star now.

Yes, that's basically it, I see I don't need to translate :thumb_yello:

They also say that Mika has been there quite a few times as a member of his band lives nearby.

You're very welcome

Yes, that's basically it, I see I don't need to translate :thumb_yello:

They also say that Mika has been there quite a few times as a member of his band lives nearby.

Do you think it's Doriand?

The song has been growing on me, and now I love it :wub2:

I get goosebumps while listening to it (lyrics + interpretation)

like singing along :blush-anim-cl:

Looking forward to the French version of the new album :fangurl:

I am so in love with this song. :wub2:

me too, ever since I listened to it for the first time in Compiegne:wub2:

the melody and the story give me goosebumps everytime I hear this song:wub2:

me too, ever since I listened to it for the first time in Compiegne:wub2:

the melody and the story give me goosebumps everytime I hear this song:wub2:

:teehee: plus me, but i think i already said it twice in this thread that i love this song:blush-anim-cl::wub2: