Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so change the title, polish the lyrics, sing with another vocalist, enhance the production, and rehearse it more so that you can sing it in tune, and what do you have? A different song. :wink2:

I had this same conversation with someone yesterday :naughty:

Mika said he had what? 60 or 70 songs written for TBWKTM? Is this really in his top 12 unproduced catalogue? Since he hasn't even recorded Holy Johnny or How Much Do You Love Me I'm thinking no. Not sure what the point is in trying to fix everything that's wrong with it and effectively creating an entirely different song. I can't imagine he doesn't have more promising stuff at hand.

Many said that he seems more confident these days. To me it looks like the opposite.

That is my impression as well. He looked ill prepared and not confident singing a couple of these new songs (at the radio station and at the gig) and I was surprised to see him fumbling his French and resorting to speaking English to the audience at Compiegne.

I think one or two French songs is a great idea but doing virtually half an album of them just seems like a gimmick rather than the product of a creative desire.

I "hated" two french songs in a row, but when I listened to this one I started to love the other two songs.

I don´t know if this one is a very sofisticated song, but I love Karen and hate this one. It´s true that I only listened to it once, but I had enough. I don´t like it as I didn´t like By The Time, and I think I listened it only a couple of times. It never happened with any other Mika song, even EMD (which I hated at first) was "getting better" as I was listening to it once and again, but this one... In my opinion, and even I know many people here loved when Ida performed with Mika last tour, I hated GGG. I like the song itself, but... He sand in a way that when then Mika started to sing his part, sounded like a duck out of place... I don´t like how Mika and Ida fit on a stage. I know, it´s just me, but I can´t help it :aah:

But this song...it's an effort to get through the whole video. :blink:

Me too, I've never thought that I would be bored with a new song :boxed:

It seems like I've heard it many times before, here and there I find lines of other songs that reminds me peculiar lines of BIOTWeather (it's already 4-5 songs mixture to me).

I sincerely want to like this song, because I love Mika and don't want to disappoint him with my dislike. He would be unhappy to know that so many people hardly can listen it to the end. So I will wait forward the album variant.

BTW He still has time to do something with it :thumb_yello:

Me too, I've never thought that I would be bored with a new song :boxed:

It's such a freakin' WEIRD feeling, isn't it? :shocked: I really feel like I've crossed over into some sort of weird parallel universe. A year ago or even two months ago I never ever would have imagined there could be a nice HD video of a brand new Mika song - and that I'd find it just meh and wouldn't be compelled to watch it more than once.

It's like...how did this happen? What kind of strange world have I fallen into? :insane:

Hmm.

But this song...it's an effort to get through the whole video. :blink:

I think people are bang on in saying it sounds like a cheesy Disney song. I feel like I've slipped through a time machine and am watching a video of Mika's future west end musical debut. And don't get me wrong, I think Ida is incredibly talented - but she's an opera singer for a reason, as that's what she does best. Incorporating that aria at the start of Good Gone Girl on last year's arena tour was a stroke of brilliance. It allowed her to showcase her voice doing what she does best.

On this song it sounds like her voice is being forced into a box that it doesn't fit into. And her voice doesn't blend well with Mika's at all. To me, Ida sounds like a Disney princess in this song. And it certainly doesn't help that she's dressed like one, too. :naughty:

Maybe this song would resonate more with me if it was a solo Mika effort with him just in jeans and a t-shirt. I'm finding it hard to take the whole thing seriously with those costumes added to the mix. :naughty:

Just listened to the song again and I agree totally with lollipop_monkey. I go back to what I said in my earlier post - this song sounds wrong with Ida's rather precise, cold operatic voice - it's just not right for the song. Makes it sound like a Disney/West End song rather than a "real" love song/duet.

I'm not sure I like the lyrics - they're rather cliche and cheesy but given that that is the case, as the song stands, I think it needed to go the whole hog and have a female voice that kind of 'goes' with that (if it remains a duet) - ie a more raw, emotional voice (as I said in my previous post). That would make it an unashamedly melodramatic ballad (which is what the current lyrics suggest afterall) a la Jennifer Warnes/Joe Cocker style!!

At the moment, with Ida's operatic voice it's a 'mish-mash', it's got an identity crisis, not knowing what it's trying to be, IYKWIM, and that makes it insincere and unbelievable. It needs more real emotion (other than just singing emotive words), a looser style, more sincerity - otherwise it's Disney - not adult at all.

Edited by lollipop_monkey
fixing broken quote code

It's such a freakin' WEIRD feeling, isn't it? :shocked: I really feel like I've crossed over into some sort of weird parallel universe. A year ago or even two months ago I never ever would have imagined there could be a nice HD video of a brand new Mika song - and that I'd find it just meh and wouldn't be compelled to watch it more than once.

It's like...how did this happen? What kind of strange world have I fallen into? :insane:

I still love him as a person, and even more than before :wub2:

But it seems like my inner honeymooner-child became a grown up adult, together with Mika.

So I think for me it is better to look at him and his songs with realistic view, without rose glasses :mf_rosetinted:

Being critical doesn't mean not being supportive and caring.

(god, I sound like Christine :naughty:)

I'm not sure I like the lyrics - they're rather cliche and cheesy but given that that is the case, as the song stands, I think it needed to go the whole hog and have a female voice that kind of 'goes' with that (if it remains a duet) - ie a more raw, emotional voice (as I said in my previous post). That would make it an unashamedly melodramatic ballad (which is what the current lyrics suggest afterall) a la Jennifer Warnes/Joe Cocker style!!

Well said - I completely agree.

:lmfao: Well, Christine is a very wise woman. Sounding like her is very often a good thing. :teehee:

I've never thought that I would be bored with a new song :boxed:

I know what you mean! I'm so disappointed, I never I thought I would be that with a Mika-song!:emot-sad:

It gives me a little comfort though to know I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy for not falling in love with this song (in any of his new songs actually:teehee:)!

He would be unhappy to know that so many people hardly can listen it to the end. So I will wait forward the album variant.

BTW He still has time to do something with it :thumb_yello:

But if he is planning to do this for a living he really has to be open to the fans opinion, otherwise he will not sell any CDs or concert tickets!:sneaky2:

Flirting with the French audience like he is doing right now maybe means he doesn't wish to go so much further than to an European audience?:wink2:

aagh!! seriously, I have listened to it again and Ida makes Mika sound out of tune :boxed:

don´t slap me, it´s just my opinion :mf_rosetinted:

It is a fact, not an opinion...:roftl: except that it is not Ida making him sound out of tune. He just sings out of tune at certain parts.:teehee:

I sincerely want to like this song, because I love Mika and don't want to disappoint him with my dislike. He would be unhappy to know that so many people hardly can listen it to the end. So I will wait forward the album variant.

Why would YOU disappoint him? :blink:

I think it is HIM disappointing you if we are talking about disappointment. :dunno:

The first time I heard it I was enthusiastic about it but that was because special circumstances.:naughty:It was right after I downloaded and listened to 'Karen' and I just didn't feel it at all. :no: So when I managed to download this, I was happy to hear something with a catchy melody and in English. (I still think it has a good melody as it has been playing in my head from the beginning and I haven't listened to it many times). However, when I replayed it I found all the faults that bother me. I do believe that those can be fixed though and this one can be turned into new song where the strong melody is placed against emotionless singing and very simple arrangements - no strings at all.

Alternatively, he could sell it to some young popstars / Disney. :dunno:

I still think it is better than GIAA - don't ask me why-y-y:mf_rosetinted:

It's like...how did this happen? What kind of strange world have I fallen into?

That's exactly how I feel at the moment. Like it's so strange how I am trying hard to like these songs, but it's not happening. Surely it should be like it was up until now, where I would just like them spontaneously?

I still love him as a person, and even more than before

But it seems like my inner honeymooner-child became a grown up adult, together with Mika.

So I think for me it is better to look at him and his songs with realistic view, without rose glasses

Well, why does that sound familiar? :roftl:

Of course, I totally agree. It sounds like we're a bit more in agreement these days :bleh:

I know what you mean! I'm so disappointed, I never I thought I would be that with a Mika-song!:emot-sad:

It gives me a little comfort though to know I'm not the only one and I'm not crazy for not falling in love with this song (in any of his new songs actually:teehee:)!

Oh, I think it's clear that you're not alone. From the start there have always been different people liking different songs, but I have never seen such a large amount of people having such clear negative reactions to the new stuff as now :dunno:

It is a fact, not an opinion...:roftl: except that it is not Ida making him sound out of tune. He just sings out of tune at certain parts.:teehee:

:lmfao:

I must admit though, that I can't hear it. It's about the only thing about the song that doesn't bug me :aah: I am really crap at hearing out of tune singing unless it's catastrophic!!

(now please don't tell me this one is catastrophic and I still missed it?...:mf_rosetinted:

Why would YOU disappoint him? :blink:

I think it is HIM disappointing you if we are talking about disappointment. :dunno:

But he tried to do his best! He hoped to create the Best F*ck Off Album, and as a result got only our moaning :boxed: poor man.

Maybe he tried too hard. Maybe if he wrote this song in 15 minutes, it would be better. I don't feel neither spontaneity nor freshness here :dunno:

Well, why does that sound familiar? :roftl:

Of course, I totally agree. It sounds like we're a bit more in agreement these days :bleh:

Another strange feeling :roftl:

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

I must admit though, that I can't hear it. It's about the only thing about the song that doesn't bug me :aah: I am really crap at hearing out of tune singing unless it's catastrophic!!

No, it is not catastrophic, it is just the intonation (i.e. finding the exact height of the pitch).:teehee:

Edited by suzie

I really love this song :wub2: it was their first performances of it so let the song grows and improved it together (sometimes Mika is out of tune but they will work it) the harmonics of this song with their voices mixed is amazing... but for me, Ida's voice is just perfect for this song... her opera voice style does not shock me at all, it is good to hear this kind of voice also this time and into pop or other style of music :wub2:... anyway...

But he tried to do his best! He hoped to create the Best F*ck Off Album, and as a result got only our moaning :boxed: poor man.

Maybe he tried too hard. Maybe if he wrote this song in 15 minutes, it would be better. I don't feel neither spontaneity nor freshness here :dunno:

Another strange feeling :roftl:

I don't think (and hope :naughty:) this is part of 'the best f*ck off album'...they are just french bonus tracks and one duet with Ida from their common youth.

Maybe you are right. Maybe that is the problem: he tried too hard, and as result lost the inspiration and the 'touch'. Maybe he needs to relax and forget about targets, etc, and just write something that comes out naturally and from the heart again :boxed:.

Or maybe he's just associating with/listening to the wrong people?

He has not delivered the album yet, so I still live in hope :pinkbow:

Surely I can't hear Dan Wilson, William Orbit, Martin Solveig, Rodney Jerkins or the brilliant lyrics of Jodie Marr in any of the new songs, so I don't think it is time to despair yet... :wink2: (:teehee:)

These songs may all be just be bonus tracks on some special edition CD, so I am awaiting the proper tracks that will make me jump up and down with excitement like I did for GK and the live version of Toy Boy. :excite:

:original:

I really love this song :wub2: it was their first performances of it so let the song grows and improved it together (sometimes Mika is out of tune but they will work it) the harmonics of this song with their voices mixed is amazing... but for me, Ida's voice is just perfect for this song... her opera voice style does not shock me at all, it is good to hear this kind of voice also this time and into pop or other style of music :wub2:... anyway...

Well, in my not so humble opinion, a professional career singer who makes millions out of it should never sing out of tune, really. It shouldn't be something 'to be worked out on time'. It should just not happen, end of :shocked:

for me, Ida's voice is just perfect for this song... her opera voice style does not shock me at all, it is good to hear this kind of voice also this time and into pop or other style of music :wub2:... anyway...

I think one needs to match the voice to the style of the song or the other way round. Alexander sounded great on OMS and so did Ida when she sang the Queen of the Night aria before GGG. For this song, Ida's voice is too strong and dramatic that makes some people climb the walls. :dunno:

Well, in my not so humble opinion, a professional career singer who makes millions out of it should never sing out of tune, really. It shouldn't be something 'to be worked out on time'. It should just not happen, end of :shocked:

Well it does not important that much because makes millions out of it or not, we are still human being and not robots... that's my opinion... Mika makes mistakes sometimes on piano it does not stop him to make really good songs... if it was so important for me I would listen people like Gaga and I don't, it does not touch me more than that... I don't care and it is not all the time he is still professionnal and human...

problem is, those ones were not occasional mistakes!

he was offering new songs for the first time to his most important audience!

after massive advertising!

more reharsing would have done good, and more professionality, IMO.

now the first listening is spoiled, and many have been let down.

Well it does not important that much because makes millions out of it or not, we are still human being and not robots... that's my opinion... Mika makes mistakes sometimes on piano it does not stop him to make really good songs... if it was so important for me I would listen people like Gaga and I don't, it does not touch me more than that... I don't care and it is not all the time he is still professionnal and human...

Well, it's not about the millions, of course; That is not my point. My point is that this is his career, his livelihood (which he is doing pretty well at!) and his job, and for that reason he needs to take it seriously and be professional. Of course everyone is human, we all make mistakes, etc... but when it comes to singing in tune in the case of a singer...well...that is not just a random mistake. It's a pretty basic 'bread and butter of the job' type of thing.

problem is, those ones were not occasional mistakes!

he was offering new songs for the first time to his most important audience!

after massive advertising!

more reharsing would have done good, and more professionality, IMO.

now the first listening is spoiled, and many have been let down.

Yes, exactly. It's very clear to me that the whole 'new songs being premiered' thing was just to promote the gig, to get more people to go, etc... It looks like they were not ready, not even half ready (didn't even Mika himself say that at one of the gigs?) things were not properly rehearsed, planned, etc....

If only he had put in as much effort in the songs as he did in the set and costumes :mf_rosetinted: