Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

this song is also a bit different to me because the lyrics are not ...I don't know? dark? complicated? sophisticated? more feelings than intelectual work...and sounds like from an early period....like "Erase" ..or "gave it all away"...but he sings it without anger....without regret...I don't know...different.

I think I have this Freddie's attitude ..that old demos, even if they were good and had potential were not recorded after years...if they didn't go to the album...He said sth like that "record them now? it would be awful, like it's all rejected material"

and even if I really love HMDYLM or other demos it would be a bit strange to me to hear to this songs now...I think I'd prefer something that is "alive " now...shows what he is like now

I don't know if this is an old song but I wouldn't be surprised....

I wonder what he feels NOW

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful, Mika will write a song called 'Blame it on the Opera'...:mf_rosetinted:

you think (after all our posts) he will dare?? :mf_rosetinted:

In that case, Mika, if you are reading this, please, change the title of your album. It must be called "The Boy Who Blamed Too Much" :mf_rosetinted:

this song is also a bit different to me because the lyrics are not ...I don't know? dark? complicated? sophisticated? more feelings than intelectual work...and sounds like from an early period....like "Erase" ..or "gave it all away"...but he sings it without anger....without regret...I don't know...different.

I think I have this Freddie's attitude ..that old demos, even if they were good and had potential were not recorded after years...if they didn't go to the album...He said sth like that "record them now? it would be awful, like it's all rejected material"

and even if I really love HMDYLM or other demos it would be a bit strange to me to hear to this songs now...I think I'd prefer something that is "alive " now...shows what he is like now

I´m totally agree here. If he had 52 songs for TBWKTM and only recorded 12, it means that the rest weren´t good enough... So, if they weren´t good enough yesterday, they are not good enough today IMO.

About HMDYLM, well, it sounded great those earlier years, but I think you girls have in mind the feelings of seeing him performing that song live and stuff, cause, yes, it´s a good song to play live, but I don´t think it´s something that deserves a Side A on a new album IMO.

Being critical doesn't mean not being supportive and caring.

(god, I sound like Christine :naughty:)

Welcome to the dark side. :pinkbow:

:teehee:

I have sung Mika's praises in the past and I will surely do so again. Critiquing a work is to analyze it, not just criticize it a negative way. I think Grace Kelly and Toy Boy are masterpieces and I had a lot to say about those as well. I believe 100% that there are other great songs coming on the new album. I will be very surprised if there aren't and even though I don't like the latest two it is not discouraging me.

I love just about all types of music so even the prospect of Mika going in a different direction does not bother me. I think Rosa mentioned heavy metal? I was a fan for a few years. Before that it was everything from Led Zeppelin and Queen to disco and Michael Jackson to Wham and Culture Club. I've been going to the opera and listening to tons of classical this year. I have just downloaded a bunch of old school hip hop from the 80s and 90s because I loved that in the clubs back in the day.

I am open to anything...but it has to be...err...good! :teehee:

If only he had put in as much effort in the songs as he did in the set and costumes :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I'm really struggling to see how fussing over the visuals is not a distraction. He comes on stage immaculately coiffed with not only custom tailored clothes but bespoke shoes, etc. And singing out of tune with a lyric sheet in hand and skipping another song because it's not ready. The music should be the priority IMO. If there is no time to pull off a perfect show then the last thing to suffer should be the music. It's supposed to be a concert after all, not an opera or a musical.

About HMDYLM, well, it sounded great those earlier years, but I think you girls have in mind the feelings of seeing him performing that song live and stuff, cause, yes, it´s a good song to play live, but I don´t think it´s something that deserves a Side A on a new album IMO.

I don't either. I don't want him to record HMDYLM (not necessarily anyway).

But if HMDYLM was not good enough to record then BIOTW should not be on the shortlist either. IMO of course. :wink2:

The girls in Belgium seem to think that's what he said...that he and Ida did it as teens.

Welcome to the dark side. :pinkbow:

I have sung Mika's praises in the past and I will surely do so again. Critiquing a work is to analyze it, not just criticize it a negative way. I think Grace Kelly and Toy Boy are masterpieces and I had a lot to say about those as well. I believe 100% that there are other great songs coming on the new album. I will be very surprised if there aren't and even though I don't like the latest two it is not discouraging me.

I love just about all types of music so even the prospect of Mika going in a different direction does not bother me. I think Rosa mentioned heavy metal? I was a fan for a few years. Before that it was everything from Led Zeppelin and Queen to disco and Michael Jackson to Wham and Culture Club. I've been going to the opera and listening to tons of classical this year. I have just downloaded a bunch of old school hip hop from the 80s and 90s because I loved that in the clubs back in the day.

I am open to anything...but it has to be...err...good! :teehee:

Yes I'm really struggling to see how fussing over the visuals is not a distraction. He comes on stage immaculately coiffed with not only custom tailored clothes but bespoke shoes, etc. And singing out of tune with a lyric sheet in hand and skipping another song because it's not ready. The music should be the priority IMO. If there is no time to pull off a perfect show then the last thing to suffer should be the music. It's supposed to be a concert after all, not an opera or a musical.

I don't either. I don't want him to record HMDYLM (not necessarily anyway).

But if HMDYLM was not good enough to record then BIOTW should not be on the shortlist either. IMO of course. :wink2:

The girls in Belgium seem to think that's what he said...that he and Ida did it as teens.

Totally agree. GK and TB are the best he did in the past and I really expect a couple of that in this new album.

About doing that gig without being ready for that... yes, it´s clearly that it´s what happened, but maybe it´s not all his fault. He ended EMD 24 hours before its releasing, so... :dunno: maybe it´s not him but the label and contracts who decided when to do the gig and stuff, and he just tried to fight against the time (failing a bit :aah:) I really wonder what´s what makes the label decide to do such a gig in such odd circumstances...

aagh!! seriously, I have listened to it again and Ida makes Mika sound out of tune :boxed:

don´t slap me, it´s just my opinion :mf_rosetinted:

No, that's not an opinion -- Mika is out of tune here in several spots,

and that's not Ida's fault. :wink2:

But that also can be fixed -- that's not the song's main problem.

Me too, I've never thought that I would be bored with a new song :boxed:

A year ago or even two months ago I never ever would have imagined there could be a nice HD video of a brand new Mika song - and that I'd find it just meh and wouldn't be compelled to watch it more than once.

I *wish* I just felt "meh" or bored with this particular song. I actively

dislike it. I was sitting here, listening to it for the first time, and

I had to stop the video about 45 seconds into it. No, no, no, no! I

shouted out loud. All kinds of really negative words

came out of my mouth, but the best description of how I

felt was YUCK. :puke: You know, I've been anxiously awaiting new music

from Mika for months and THIS is what we get? It's like anticipating

Christmas for weeks, and then on Christmas morning finding a lump of

coal in your stocking, even though you've been a good girl all year. :tears:

I love you Mika, I do. But I really, really, really don't like this song and I

don't think any amount of playing with it will change that. I so

hope you don't put it on the album in any way, shape or form. :sad:

Edited by dcdeb

About doing that gig without being ready for that... yes, it´s clearly that it´s what happened, but maybe it´s not all his fault. He ended EMD 24 hours before its releasing, so... :dunno: maybe it´s not him but the label and contracts who decided when to do the gig and stuff, and he just tried to fight against the time (failing a bit :aah:) I really wonder what´s what makes the label decide to do such a gig in such odd circumstances...

I think I read somewhere that this gig has been planned for a year. No record company is forcing anyone to release songs out of the blue without an album being ready. A single is merely a means to promote an album that would make a profit. There is usually no profit on singles. Anyway, this single seems to have been promoting the concert, which I also find strange. Now that could have been slightly last minute, having realised that tickets were not selling.

I think I read somewhere that this gig has been planned for a year. No record company is forcing anyone to release songs out of the blue without an album being ready. A single is merely a means to promote an album that would make a profit. There is usually no profit on singles. Anyway, this single seems to have been promoting the concert, which I also find strange. Now that could have been slightly last minute, having realised that tickets were not selling.

If he planned it for a year, I don´t want to think of how could things go when he has no time to plan things.:mf_rosetinted:

I think Grace Kelly and Toy Boy are masterpieces and I had a lot to say about those as well.

Exactly. Or at least I know that after I heard Toy Boy back when TBWKTM came out, I was absolutely overwhelmed by the complexity and deepness of the song. It easily became my favourite track on the album. In contrast to the nursery rhymes like melody, the song as a whole is an absolute genius combination of human feelings, habits and reactions. I am sorry that the song didn't get that famous and many people took it for granted, but it wasn't that shocking to me though. I knew such a complex song that takes more than one listening to fully understand wouldn't become a hit ever. It was not that hit kind of song either. But yes, that is definitely off the hook. :mf_rosetinted:

Not to talk about Grace Kelly any more, which is - as I like to think - the greatest thing he's yet accomplished, musically speaking. It's such a complex song as well and it's that kind of hit song that never gets aged. Or at least not for me. It has enough musicality and uniqueness that can keep it alive for years and years from now on.

that's interesting... Hope this is somewhere on a video...I want a proof :roftl:

ahhh...(I won't say anything more...)

I've been anxiously awaiting new music

:lmao:

I would have thought a Disney type of song would work for you any time… :naughty:

:lmao:

I would have thought a Disney type of song would work for you any time… :naughty:

Yes, well, I was going to mention that. I *am* a Disney girl, after all. :wink2:

But I guess that's the problem with this song. It sounds *so much*

like something that might have come from an old Disney musical.

Like "If I Never Knew You" from Pocahontas or "A Whole New World" from

Aladdin. Something mushy and sickly sweet that is absolutely

acceptable in a romantic movie musical, but not what I'm hoping to hear

from Mika. Like Christine said earlier, I, too, listen to ALL kinds of music.

My collection ranges from Sinatra to Prince to Linkin Park to unknown

bands most people have never heard of. I listen to everything, so it's not like I'm

prejudiced against a certain type of music. And change is good -- I expect

Mika to evolve and grow, in fact, I want him to! My favorite artists are

those who constantly reinvent themselves. I think that's necessary to

sustain a career over years, and decades. Like Madonna, like Bowie.

That said, I hope that Mika is not evolving into a crooner who sings

soppy love ballads with simple, sugary-sweet lyrics and melodies that

sound like they have been recycled

from an old Disney movie. I hope that this song is a one-off, and if it

is on the new album, I'll be able to skip over it easily to get to what I am

certain will be all the other absolutely brilliant songs. :biggrin2:

Again not a brilliant song. But it is beautiful minus Ida's stoney operatic singing. The mellody actually took me somewhere. The lyrics not great, but maybe got to understand the sub text..anyway I'm an old soul in a 'young' person's body :naughty: I love Harry Nilsson & I can see where the influence came from. The only thing that makes it Disney like, is Ida's voice to me. Other than that very different from what you get these days.

Anyway it's brand new, he'll be tweaking it for sure & he'll sing it better & find someone suitable to duet with. I trust he would. It won't be a single, I doubt he has the intention to make this one popular..

On the subject of singing off key... mika has always sang off key in parts.. in the early days I used to pray for him to not sing off key when he was on live shows.. on Brit Awards 2007.. I prayed so hard cause I had friends watching with me & I didn't want them to make fun.. I think it's ok to go off key sometimes.. it happens.. Mika never sells himself as perfect hence I think it's acceptable with him... unlike if Mariah Carey does it..

hope to hear more new songs soon.

You know, I've been anxiously awaiting new music

So THAT'S what this is about! Santa Mika knows that Little Debbie has been a naughty girl this year (even though we're only halfway through it!), and that's why he's dishing out this lump of musical coal. :shocked::wags_finger:

:mf_rosetinted:

So THAT'S what this is about! Santa Mika knows that Little Debbie has been a naughty girl this year (even though we're only halfway through it!), and that's why he's dishing out this lump of musical coal. :shocked::wags_finger:

:mf_rosetinted:

:lmfao: OMG, poor Mika. We give him such a hard time these days. :teehee:

:lmfao: OMG, poor Mika. We give him such a hard time these days. :teehee:

:lmfao:

It's like the boys on the school playground only picking on the girls they secretly like.

And I do love 82/Karen. So coal aside, there is some gold happening.

Dear Mika. You're gonna have to release a lot more coal than one measly lump in order to get rid of us. :roftl: Love you Mika, coal and all! :huglove:

As this is an old song he dug out somwhere in a - and I'm sure of that - considerable heap of pieces that have never seen the light, he must have come across other long lost treasures as well phil_25.gif.

I now have hope for this next album's bonus oddball to be a raw version of Overrated. girl_claping.gif

As this is an old song he dug out somwhere in a - and I'm sure of that - considerable heap of pieces that have never seen the light, he must have come across other long lost treasures as well phil_25.gif.

I now have hope for this next album's bonus oddball to be a raw version of Overrated. girl_claping.gif

yes, I hope someone will help him dust those treasures. girl_claping.gif

I'd love to hear Overrated as a bonus track - it is also beautiful and sounds honest.:wub2:

Edited by suzie

Oh gawd I hope Overrated never sees the light of day apart from its current demo form. I would cry real tears if it was overproduced or something and was "broken" in the process. :shocked:

Okay something positive - I really do love Mika's tone on the line "it makes me love you more, lover." :wub2:

Edited by lollipop_monkey

Oh gawd I hope Overrated never sees the light of day apart from its current demo form. I would cry real tears if it was overproduced or something and was "broken" in the process. :shocked:

It is true there is not much that could or should be added to that song but a piano and Mika's beautiful voice. I think any song can be overproduced, we have seen several examples of that on the last album but there is no reason to think that Overrated would have a similar fate..At least they could try...:dunno:

It is true there is not much that could or should be added to that song but a piano and Mika's beautiful voice. I think any song can be overproduced, we have seen several examples of that on the last album but there is no reason to think that Overrated would have a similar fate..At least they could try...:dunno:

Imagine if he...like...added a dance beat and some synth effects to the vocals or something. :aah:

No, no, no. Just no. I'd rather that masterpiece languish in obscurity than risk it being destroyed in Timbaland's studio or something. :aah:

Imagine if he...like...added a dance beat and some synth effects to the vocals or something. :aah:

No, no, no. Just no. I'd rather that masterpiece languish in obscurity than risk it being destroyed in Timbaland's studio or something. :aah:

No, I think they'd simply add some violins, cellos and a flute...:pinkbow:

:naughty:

I think this song is so beautiful,the instrumental,the lyrics and all... I just don't think that Ida's voice "fits" in the song

Mika wasn't playing when he told us that the new album would be very romantic hãn ?