Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is such a beautiful melody. It's not cheezy, it's romantic and wonderful. I think that people are afraid of love and romance due to slipping into something yucky, but I was listening to this song sooo many times these days and I realize that it's pure, honest and strong. And it will just be better when we hear the arrangement that he is going to pick up for the recorded version, with all the layers that he is quite capable of adding to a song. I love it! And won't change my mind anymore! Blame it on the weather:aah::roftl: It's quite hot in my country and my mind is boiling.

And they sang it much better in Liège.

Oh gawd I hope Overrated never sees the light of day apart from its current demo form. I would cry real tears if it was overproduced or something and was "broken" in the process. :shocked:

I was thinking exactly the same thing. I still think Overrated is his best ballad to date - but like you, I fear what would become of it out there in the big bad world of full-on studio production :teehee:.

@Feeh I hope you don't mind me posting the link to the piano version you have just posted on another thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOulJ_PzuBw

It proves this song has a great tune ...:wub2:

The tune is indeed very pretty. Nice video, thanks for (re)posting.

:lmfao:

It's like the boys on the school playground only picking on the girls they secretly like.

And I do love 82/Karen. So coal aside, there is some gold happening.

Dear Mika. You're gonna have to release a lot more coal than one measly lump in order to get rid of us. :roftl: Love you Mika, coal and all! :huglove:

OMG yes! As I said before, I think I will love Mika til the day I die. It would

take something catastrophic to change that. One lump of coal... well, that's

just a blip on the radar. I still think Mika's the absolute best! :wub2:

(But please, no more songs like this one, Mika, please?)

@Feeh I hope you don't mind me posting the link to the piano version you have just posted on another thread:

I have thought a lot about why I dislike the song. I think the problem of "Weather" the way it was played at the gigs, is, that it is "too much". The first "too much" are the lyrics that are screaming "cheese" loud and big and that are so conventional. Then there is Idas voice and way of singing that gives the song this Disney/Musical-touch. The beginning of "Weather", where only Mika is singing, isn't Disney/Musical-like. I like Idas voice, but here it's not fitting. So there is the Musical-Disney-Ballad feeling - and Disney/Musical-ballads are - cheesy. On top of all it's a duet - again something that is connected to romantic and cheesiness.

Also a lot of elements are so conventional. I felt if I had listened to similar lyrics, similar musical-ballads and similar-duets thousand times before…

The pure melody is a good one, as the piano-video proves. But cheesy itself, too, yes. Which is not a bad thing if the "surrounding" works in a good way. And for me this would mean a very raw arrangement (no strings!) and other lyrics, maybe something that goes in the opposite direction to get an interesting contrast. I don't know, to my mind the song would be much better if there would be a "counterpart" to the melody in some way, so I would get an inner contrast. But not a quadruplicating of cheesiness…

So, overall in my humble opinion: Keep the melody and change all the other parts completely.

I have thought a lot about why I dislike the song. I think the problem of "Weather" the way it was played at the gigs, is, that it is "too much". The first "too much" are the lyrics that are screaming "cheese" loud and big and that are so conventional. Then there is Idas voice and way of singing that gives the song this Disney/Musical-touch. The beginning of "Weather", where only Mika is singing, isn't Disney/Musical-like. I like Idas voice, but here it's not fitting. So there is the Musical-Disney-Ballad feeling - and Disney/Musical-ballads are - cheesy. On top of all it's a duet - again something that is connected to romantic and cheesiness.

Also a lot of elements are so conventional. I felt if I had listened to similar lyrics, similar musical-ballads and similar-duets thousand times before…

The pure melody is a good one, as the piano-video proves. But cheesy itself, too, yes. Which is not a bad thing if the "surrounding" works in a good way. And for me this would mean a very raw arrangement (no strings!) and other lyrics, maybe something that goes in the opposite direction to get an interesting contrast. I don't know, to my mind the song would be much better if there would be a "counterpart" to the melody in some way, so I would get an inner contrast. But not a quadruplicating of cheesiness…

So, overall in my humble opinion: Keep the melody and change all the other parts completely.

yup, cheesy sums it up pretty well :naughty:

I would have said keep mika's voice and change evrything else:mf_rosetinted:...

... really, Mika? Sounds like he has a new squeeze.. but, so cheesy it makes my teeth hurt.. melody is not original or catchy, all in all a very 'bleh' song.. sad. Hope he only plays this live.. :sad:

And blame it again? Stop blaming everything Mika.. the boys, the girls, the weather.. step up and take responsibility for yourself :biggrin2:

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

OMG it sounds much better than the original!!!!

If this song was supposed to be like this cover, I still believe in a "better than gig's" album version!

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

yes, I agree with this analysis. I really like the melody. At the moment the song has a Disney-type of arrangement but as the piano part proves it, the chords and the tune is closer to songs like Strangers in the Night or Something Stupid...:teehee: If changed in the direction you explain, it can be turned into an awesome song. It would basically mean changing the lyrics and the arrangements.

I listened to the song Karen this morning and I figured out why I did not like it. That one would not be so easy to change though. I'll try to explain it later. As raw material, I prefer this one.:teehee:

yes, I agree with this analysis. I really like the melody. At the moment the song has a Disney-type of arrangement but as the piano part proves it, the chords and the tune is closer to songs like Strangers in the Night or Something Stupid...:teehee: If changed in the direction you explain, it can be turned into an awesome song. It would basically mean changing the lyrics and the arrangements.

I listened to the song Karen this morning and I figured out why I did not like it. That one would not be so easy to change though. I'll try to explain it later. As raw material, I prefer this one.:teehee:

I really want to hear your opinion about Karen. You are no changing my mind (now I have put this song into my 3 favorite ones with GK and TB :aah:) but I do want to understand why other people don´t feel the same!

I really want to hear your opinion about Karen. You are no changing my mind (now I have put this song into my 3 favorite ones with GK and TB :aah:) but I do want to understand why other people don´t feel the same!

I love Karen and wouldn't want an English version. The French sounds awesome. Same thing with EMD.

With Weather, maybe Mika will take all the advice on board, but I don't think the version performed at the gigs is the final version. Anyway, Mika does change, even his established songs, a lot, so I'm sure he'll tweak the song before it's released. The tune to this song is very beautiful really.

... really, Mika? Sounds like he has a new squeeze.. but, so cheesy it makes my teeth hurt.. melody is not original or catchy, all in all a very 'bleh' song.. sad. Hope he only plays this live.. :sad:

And blame it again? Stop blaming everything Mika.. the boys, the girls, the weather.. step up and take responsibility for yourself :biggrin2:

:roftl::thumb_yello:

I haven't been listening much to this song because, well, you know why..:blush-anim-cl:.but last night I listened to the piano versions and the funny thing was... the melody got stuck in my head!:naughty:

If he did it differently, with another duet partner, I'll be willing to give it a chance! :teehee:

I mean... it is Mika after all, rightl!:wub2:

This is such a beautiful melody. It's not cheezy, it's romantic and wonderful. I think that people are afraid of love and romance due to slipping into something yucky, but I was listening to this song sooo many times these days and I realize that it's pure, honest and strong. And it will just be better when we hear the arrangement that he is going to pick up for the recorded version, with all the layers that he is quite capable of adding to a song. I love it! And won't change my mind anymore! Blame it on the weather:aah::roftl: It's quite hot in my country and my mind is boiling.

And they sang it much better in Liège.

I feel exactly the same way! :wub2:

First I be touched too, listening to this cover.

Now I think that this guy made something bad towards Mika. Unconsciously. He took a row, simplified record, and made his own variant of the song. In other words, redone it. In fact, stole it. Due to this guy, we've got something, with what we compare the variant of Mika's song that we haven't heard yet. We start to compare, and Mika's variant probably is in a worse side.

That guy took a good and legible material, and on its basis made his own composition. It could be called a plagiarism, if he didn't refer to Mika's song. Now, when Mika will play it himself on the gigs, he will be forced to play it in the other way in order to differ from that cover (or, if he still haven't recorded in the studio, record it in the other way as well). Because people could say that Mika copied the cover of his own song.

This guy gave Mika no chance to re-do this version, using all the possible notes. He didn't give the Author any chances to lead the music to the end point. He stole it, not giving us a chance to hear Mika's original. Mika, say thanks to this guy, and go on supplying him with your new drafts. And then try to make your Original not resembling the copy of your own song.

There should not be so that we admired a cover and contemptuously criticized what, by and large, have not even heard correctly.

Thank you DQ for help in translating of my confused and seditious thoughts!

First I be touched too, listening to this cover.

Now I think that this guy made something bad towards Mika. Unconsciously. He took a row, simplified record, and made his own variant of the song. In other words, redone it. In fact, stole it. Due to this guy, we've got something, with what we compare the variant of Mika's song that we haven't heard yet. We start to compare, and Mika's variant probably is in a worse side.

That guy took a good and legible material, and on its basis made his own composition. It could be called a plagiarism, if he didn't refer to Mika's song. Now, when Mika will play it himself on the gigs, he will be forced to play it in the other way in order to differ from that cover (or, if he still haven't recorded in the studio, record it in the other way as well). Because people could say that Mika copied the cover of his own song.

This guy gave Mika no chance to re-do this version, using all the possible notes. He didn't give the Author any chances to lead the music to the end point. He stole it, not giving us a chance to hear Mika's original. Mika, say thanks to this guy, and go on supplying him with your new drafts. And then try to make your Original not resembling the copy of your own song.

There should not be so that we admired a cover and contemptuously criticized what, by and large, have not even heard correctly.

Thank you DQ for help in translating of my confused and seditious thoughts!

Lena, I think you are worrying unnessarily. Once a song has been sung, it's going to get covered. I actually think it is a great tribute to Mika's work, that a piano cover has appeared so quickly. He did write that he did it in response to the Elle Me Dit piano cover that appeared a few days ago.

I actually think the pianist did a lovely job, but if Mika doesn't like it he can have it removed. But it's not going to make any difference to Mika's final version, and I don't think he will mind a bit. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think he will object to the cover or feel that the tune has been stolen from him.

Lena, I think you are worrying unnessarily. Once a song has been sung, it's going to get covered. I actually think it is a great tribute to Mika's work, that a piano cover has appeared so quickly. He did write that he did it in response to the Elle Me Dit piano cover that appeared a few days ago.

I actually think the pianist did a lovely job, but if Mika doesn't like it he can have it removed. But it's not going to make any difference to Mika's final version, and I don't think he will mind a bit. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think he will object to the cover or feel that the tune has been stolen from him.

Totally agree with you. Although I don't like how this guy played some parts of the song I don't think that he had some wrong or evil intentions. He just played the simple, stripped melody, and I think he actually did Mika a favor, because we can hear how beautiful the melody is.

And I'm sooo sure that this little piano cover is not going to influence Mika at all.

Totally agree with you. Although I don't like how this guy played some parts of the song I don't think that he had some wrong or evil intentions. He just played the simple, stripped melody, and I think he actually did Mika a favor, because we can hear how beautiful the melody is.

And I'm sooo sure that this little piano cover is not going to influence Mika at all.

:floor:

He just played the simple, stripped melody, and I think he actually did Mika a favor, because we can hear how beautiful the melody is.

Yes, Lena, weren't you saying that you could not hum the melody? Now you can hear it very clearly. I don't think Mika will be influenced at all by this YouTube recording (although perhaps he should :teehee:)

I think I would still throw the bathwater out on this one even if there is a baby in there somewhere :naughty: If you look at a song like Overrated, it didn't need any work to make it moving and special. I am assuming Mika has already worked on this from the piano demo stage and this is what he's come up with? :dunno:

Rain was salvaged so I guess we'll see, but when people say things like "it needs new lyrics"...well...that is a pretty key component of a song for me. :naughty:

I think he did Mika a favour too, because the song does have a lovely tune and we got to hear that, without the voices. I really like the piano cover.

Maybe when Mika performs it, he should use a piano. It would sound so good if he played it himself, as well as singing it.

Oh gawd I hope Overrated never sees the light of day apart from its current demo form. I would cry real tears if it was overproduced or something and was "broken" in the process. :shocked:

If overproduced was the only way we could get it, I'd agree wholeheartedly. girl_yes.gif

It is true there is not much that could or should be added to that song but a piano and Mika's beautiful voice. I think any song can be overproduced, we have seen several examples of that on the last album but there is no reason to think that Overrated would have a similar fate..At least they could try...:dunno:

:teehee:

I actually never thought that any of the demos would make it anywhere after being leaked. So the Instant Martyr B side was a nice surprise. And then I'm Falling appeared on the proper album. girl_in_dreams.gif and Loverboy made the bonus. girl_pardon.gif

It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to believe that the possibility to get Overrated is not all that far-fetched.

Handled in an Over my Shoulder way, no harm can be done, really. (I'd prefer to have only Mika's voice on that, though.)

[/daydream]