Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This time in 7 months everyone will be loving this song a blasting it out of there speakers and all this will be forgotten about :) he knows what he's doing :)

Pity I can't add this post to bookmarks or something, to check if it will be true! :teehee:

Okay, you may think I'm crazy now but ...

The look Eda has on her face when she sings the song and looks at Mika reminds me of my biology teacher of last year :shocked:

why crazy? :original:

it's brilliant!!:roftl:

Lena, I think you are worrying unnessarily. Once a song has been sung, it's going to get covered. I actually think it is a great tribute to Mika's work, that a piano cover has appeared so quickly. He did write that he did it in response to the Elle Me Dit piano cover that appeared a few days ago.

I actually think the pianist did a lovely job, but if Mika doesn't like it he can have it removed. But it's not going to make any difference to Mika's final version, and I don't think he will mind a bit. I could be wrong of course, but I don't think he will object to the cover or feel that the tune has been stolen from him.

I wished to tell a little not it. If it is short, I worry, that he has outplayed Mika. I do not want to suddenly found that the cover sounds better than the song itself. Better, than Mika has planned and better than Mika will play. I do not want, that subsequently people compared a cover and the original. And I do not want this comparison was not in favor of the original.. We could not hear the piano version of Mika . Due to the fact that it still does not exist. It would be beautiful. But now will be only comparisons " worse or better" than this guy played.

Yes, Lena, weren't you saying that you could not hum the melody? Now you can hear it very clearly. I don't think Mika will be influenced at all by this YouTube recording (although perhaps he should :teehee:)

I think I would still throw the bathwater out on this one even if there is a baby in there somewhere :naughty: If you look at a song like Overrated, it didn't need any work to make it moving and special. I am assuming Mika has already worked on this from the piano demo stage and this is what he's come up with? :dunno:

Rain was salvaged so I guess we'll see, but when people say things like "it needs new lyrics"...well...that is a pretty key component of a song for me. :naughty:

I wanted to recognize this beautiful melody with the help of Mika, but not the other person. (Okay, a bear stepped on my ear and I at all did not understand the melody:teehee:... I understand now, but ...). This is the same that make translation of the song of Mika with Google and do a professional poetic translation... I prefer clumsy Google, than beautiful translation which was made by interpreter .

Google gives the facts to me and I can imagine any song myself. But any good interpreter adds its own perception of a song and as a result I receive the another's feelings that imposed on feelings of Mika.And this turns out not Mika already. And with His music in the same way.

:sweatdrop:

You won't believe, girls, but my supercritical exacting husband liked this song! :boing:

Maybe because I was fool to tell him before watching the vid that I don't like it :briggin:

but he added: It could be a good soundtrack!

:naughty:

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

You won't believe, girls, but my supercritical exacting husband liked this song! :boing:

Maybe because I was fool to tell him before watching the vid that I don't like it :briggin:

but he added: It could be a good soundtrack! naughty;

:roftl:

I think he is right. He must have meant the sentimental nature of the lyrics and way it is sung. The melody and the chords get you immediately, I think, but somehow I just cannot imagine it to be an integral part of Mika's portfolio in this form.:teehee:

:Update:

Here is a much better version:

[YOUTUBE]i8UWt7_evaE[/YOUTUBE]

Obviously having no strings made a huge a difference (:teehee:) and I really like how the piano was replaced by the guitar in the second verse. I think Ida starting it gave some more security for Mika, probably, and she was also more restrained, which made a huge difference - though she still sings it in a way that is characteristic of classical singing: besides her voice being resonant it is also the articulation that may sound strange to most ears (e.g. the clipped consonants).

Verdict?

I still have a lot of problems with the lyrics though :teehee:

Obviously having no strings made a huge a difference (:teehee:) and I really like how the piano was replaced by the guitar in the second verse. I think Ida starting it gave some more security for Mika, probably, and she was also more restrained, which made a huge difference - though she still sings it in a way that is characteristic of classical singing: besides her voice being resonant it is also the articulation that may sound strange to most ears (e.g. the clipped consonants).

Verdict?

Such a beautiful version! I really like that the audience is so silent and everyone seems to be taking a delight in the song. I think it's a song to be enjoyed in complete silence just because it's so sweet and tender. Also, the ending here is much more beautiful; I mean having Ida singing those "mmmmm" parts as well :aah: (I'm no good explaining things)

later edit, Meeks sounds amazing singing with Ida, I enjoy their version of this song so much and I would love them to record it together but I am dying of curiosity to hear him singing this with Imma as well.

Edited by Cherisse

Verdict?

I tried to explain after the Corsica gig that it was much better, but no one paid any attention :dunno:

Lovely version, this one in Corsica, but minus the guitar that Suzie was talking about :teehee: Maybe it sounds astonishing live, haven't had the luck to hear it that way, but it doesn't get me when I listen to these recordings... :wink2:

That's not to say that I'm bothered by it. Ever since Compiegne he's been making these little changes and I especially liked that he let Ida sing the first verses this time :wub2: Works a bit better this way, in my opinion :biggrin2:

Here is a much better version

I like this version from Ajaccio much much better than the first one. English not being my mothertongue, I can overlook the lyrics. They don't bother me so much in this song.

This song probably won't make it to my top list, yet if it is done like there in Ajaccio I think I can very well live with it.

It seems to me that they only had time to rehearse it properly after the first on stage performance :teehee:

I cringed a bit before the 'blaaaame' at 2:25, wondering if it would go well, and in fact that was way better than before. Even nicer harmony later at 3:35.

I must say I find it amazing and very professional how they seem to care about the reactions and adapt to them. Strangely, the way Ida sung this time didn't bother me one bit. Kudos for toning it down. Letting her start obviously was a clever move, too. It seems to work. Well, it does for me. :thumb_yello:

<snip>

Verdict?

I tried to explain after the Corsica gig that it was much better, but no one paid any attention :dunno:

It's not that I'm not paying attention but with these lyrics it's a thumbs down for me even with a better arrangement. I still find they sound very flat around 2:30 although I wouldn't be surprised if that is an artifact of the video and it sounds fine in reality.

I know some don't like Ida's voice but I think at least her voice is appropriate for this song. Mika always dances a very fine line between beauty and cheese when he sings a ballad and I'm afraid this time he's crossed it. I don't hold out much hope for a recording to fix this either as his ballads always sound better live to me because at least there is emotion present that doesn't come across as effectively on the record.

For comparison I'd say that Overrated is a perfect balance and Erase is too cheesy. This is just a matter of taste though (and probably affected some by culture and language as well), so some people are going to like it and some people aren't and nothing you say is going to change their minds. It's 4 years on and I still think that Erase is godawful whereas I have always loved I See You even though I understand why some people find it over the top.

EDIT: And let me say something else about BIOTW and Erase vs I See You and Overrated. The first two sound like generic love songs that could have been written by anyone and for any artist to sing. The latter two to me sound very personal and poignant and very Mika. I think ultimately that's why I prefer them.

It's not that I'm not paying attention but with these lyrics it's a thumbs down for me even with a better arrangement. I still find they sound very flat around 2:30 although I wouldn't be surprised if that is an artifact of the video and it sounds fine in reality.

I know some don't like Ida's voice but I think at least her voice is appropriate for this song. Mika always dances a very fine line between beauty and cheese when he sings a ballad and I'm afraid this time he's crossed it. I don't hold out much hope for a recording to fix this either as his ballads always sound better live to me because at least there is emotion present that doesn't come across as effectively on the record.

For comparison I'd say that Overrated is a perfect balance and Erase is too cheesy. This is just a matter of taste though (and probably affected some by culture and language as well), so some people are going to like it and some people aren't and nothing you say is going to change their minds. It's 4 years on and I still think that Erase is godawful whereas I have always loved I See You even though I understand why some people find it over the top.

EDIT: And let me say something else about BIOTW and Erase vs I See You and Overrated. The first two sound like generic love songs that could have been written by anyone and for any artist to sing. The latter two to me sound very personal and poignant and very Mika. I think ultimately that's why I prefer them.

I can't stand Erase. I think I've listened to it 3 times only but I just can't stand it. As you said, it is way too cheesy and so not Mika. I think I've heard/read that Mika is not really proud of this song either? Well that's a relief for me :aah:

As for BIOTW, for me it is not exactly the same.. It IS too cheesy for my taste, but it is also pleasant at times and there are some combinations of words I like in there ('Bitter winter' etc.. Don't ask me why :blink:).

But I'm very disappointed with the title :boxed: And last but not least I did think it was a song I already knew when I heard it last week.. As if it was a cover, and certainly not a Mika song :(

As a summary, I really hope BIOTW is not a foretaste of the whole album.. Mika said in a French interview that his songs would not be soppy; well this one is already too soppy for me :teehee:

Now if you'll excuse me I'll go and comment on the 'Karen' thread because that one makes me mental, like positively mental :wub2::wub2:

but he added: It could be a good soundtrack!

:naughty:

Hilarious :lmfao:

I feel exactly the same as you :dunno:

Also, I just can't take a song seriously when it starts off with the line "and we never change nothing" :aah::aah: I mean, seriously???

Totally agree on the cheese comment, and just the whole thing leaves me cold and makes me cringe a little. I can't help it. I don't think it's good and I don't like it, even if it's better a version than the other one.

Oh and did he have to switch to English when he speaks at the start saying that he forgets his French? :fisch: I rest my case in the other thread about mother tongues :bleh:

Oh and did he have to switch to English when he speaks at the start saying that he forgets his French? :fisch: I rest my case in the other thread about mother tongues :bleh:

:roftl: I don't know about this thread you're talking about, but in this vid he clearly starts off with a literal translation from English to French and finds himself a bit 'lost in translation'..Fortunately I do know his French is not perfect and I like it like that :thumb_yello:

I think when people say French is his mother tongue it's just because it's the one he learnt at school as a child.. But more generally a mother tongue is surely the one you use at home isn't it?

This time in 7 months everyone will be loving this song a blasting it out of there speakers and all this will be forgotten about :) he knows what he's doing :)

Why does that sound so familiar to me? :blink: Oh yeah, it sounds

familiar because that's what Mika said once -- "I know what I'm doing."

:shocked:

Mika?! Is that you?!

:wink2:

:no: Sorry, suzie, I don't agree. Not better, at least not for me. This

song just does NOT work for me. Maybe Mika will work his magic on it,

as christian above suggests, and I'll fall in love with it, but I doubt it.

And maybe if I was standing in the front row, and Mika was singing it

right in front of me, I would love it -- because then I would be concentrating

on Mika, not on the song itself. I love just about anything he sings when

he's standing right in front of me... :wub2:

Yes, you've hit the nail on the head! That's what I said the first time I

heard this song -- it could have been done by anyone.

(I also sort of feel that way about Elle Me Dit,

even though it's so darn catchy, it's hard to dislike that song :naughty: ) I'm

sure the rest of the new album won't be like this (at least, I hope it

won't be!) but this is the new song we have right now, and IMO it's

disappointing -- not saying that those of you who love it are wrong, just

that *for me* it's a disappointment and I wish we had something better/

different to listen to while we wait for The Origin(s) of Love. :dunno:

And maybe if I was standing in the front row, and Mika was singing it right in front of me, I would love it

Think I'd have to be draped across the piano in my red evening gown for this one :naughty:

even though it's so darn catchy, it's hard to dislike that song :naughty: )

Au contraire, I think a song about a mother telling her son to get his sh*t together in order to drive him out of her house sounds very personal and very Mika to me :lmfao:

Think I'd have to be draped across the piano in my red evening gown for this one :naughty:

:lmfao:

Like this?

baker-boys1.jpg

Au contraire, I think a song about a mother telling her son to get his sh*t together in order to drive him out of her house sounds very personal and very Mika to me :lmfao:

OK, yes, I'll concede that those lyrics may be semi-autobiographical. :naughty:

:lmfao:

Like this?

baker-boys1.jpg

Yes EXACTLY, although of course I would be facing the other direction and Mika needs to do the singing. I had my dress all picked out for the acoustic tour in 2009. My dreams almost came true when I sat on the stage in front of the piano for My Interpretation at Le Poisson Rouge, but not quite. One day...one day :lmfao:

Yes, you are definitely right, I agree. I See You and Overrated are maybe his most beautiful songs ever and sound really personal. I would never compare BIOTW to either of those two songs, but I still enjoyed it a lot. Maybe it's different because he was in front of me, nothing can sound bad at that moment :roftl:

Maybe it's different because he was in front of me, nothing can sound bad at that moment :roftl:

I know we're joking about it but it really is true. After all these years songs like Billy Brown or My Interpretation don't evoke much emotion in me, but there has NEVER been a moment where I've thought "oh Mika stop singing, this is awful" :lmfao:

When I first listened to Lady Jane I was like WTF?? :boxed: and hearing the word "fish" still makes me cringe. But I could happily listen to him sing that song 5 times at every gig. His performances were beautiful and it's one of the gig videos I come back to over and over.

:no: Sorry, suzie, I don't agree. Not better, at least not for me. This song just does NOT work for me. :

But I was talking about the performance and the arrangements :tears:

I think the performance IS better in that respect. Let me give him credit for making those changes....:teehee:

And maybe if I was standing in the front row, and Mika was singing it right in front of me, I would love it -- because then I would be concentrating on Mika, not on the song itself. I love just about anything he sings when he's standing right in front of me... :wub2::

I think it is just the different way people perceive music. When 'evaluating' songs it is usually the chords and the melody that gets me first, while the performance and lyrics are secondary as they can be changed. I can totally see this song turned into a different song with new lyrics and arrangements and a different way of singing it. The chords and the melody line would not need to be changed at all :dunno: I still think it is good raw material.

As the current product, however, I agree that it is cheesy :roftl:

PS: I will reply on other posts, too, in a minute - there are so many things I want to comment on again.:teehee:

Edited by suzie

:roftl: I don't know about this thread you're talking about, but in this vid he clearly starts off with a literal translation from English to French and finds himself a bit 'lost in translation'..Fortunately I do know his French is not perfect and I like it like that :thumb_yello:

I think when people say French is his mother tongue it's just because it's the one he learnt at school as a child.. But more generally a mother tongue is surely the one you use at home isn't it?

Yes, exactly, that is my point, that it's the one that you speak at home as your first language, and the one you always revert to :biggrin2:.

Oh and for the record I also don't care that his French is not perfect or expect him to speak it like a native. I think it's great that he speaks it as well as he does! I was only arguing the point.

Anyway I really didn't mean to re-start the whole discussion, just that it seemed appropiate to point it out because the video of him having to switch to English was posted :wink2:

:no: Sorry, suzie, I don't agree. Not better, at least not for me. This

song just does NOT work for me. Maybe Mika will work his magic on it,

as christian above suggests, and I'll fall in love with it, but I doubt it.

And maybe if I was standing in the front row, and Mika was singing it

right in front of me, I would love it -- because then I would be concentrating

on Mika, not on the song itself. I love just about anything he sings when

he's standing right in front of me... :wub2:

even though it's so darn catchy, it's hard to dislike that song :naughty: ) I'm

sure the rest of the new album won't be like this (at least, I hope it

won't be!) but this is the new song we have right now, and IMO it's

disappointing -- not saying that those of you who love it are wrong, just

that *for me* it's a disappointment and I wish we had something better/

different to listen to while we wait for The Origin(s) of Love. :dunno:

You expressed exactly how I feel about things, Deb.

:lmfao::lmfao: