Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

I don't

particularly care whether Mika and Ida are in love (though I'm sure they're

quite fond of each other as they've been friends for years). But I DO

care that the lyrics are cheesy, the melody is weak, and that he's singing

out of tune at several points in this performance. :dunno:

Love is sometimes cheesy, we just choose to be cheesy in private and not in public, intended to be a love songs lyrics are not great but they are fine, the rhymes are simple "song-long" but in the end it all works for me, maybe I'm too much of a romantic.

I don't think the melody is weak but simple or classic, also some notes seemed difficult to hit and as as any new song this one needs rehearsal.

A finished version, with another female voice, a new title and a clean performance may give us light to determine our minds about it for sure. :thumb_yello:

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love is sometimes cheesy, we just choose to be cheesy in private and not in public, intended to be a love songs lyrics are not great but they are fine, the rhymes are simple "song-long" but in the end it all works for me, maybe I'm too much of a romantic.

I don't think the melody is weak but simple or classic, also some notes seemed difficult to hit and as as any new song this one needs rehearsal.

A finished version, with another female voice, a new title and a clean performance may give us light to determine our minds about it for sure. :thumb_yello:

OK, so change the title, polish the lyrics, sing with another vocalist,

enhance the production, and rehearse it more so that you can sing it

in tune, and what do you have? A different song. :wink2:

I'm just offering my opinion on THIS song, today, as it's been presented here to us so far.

I will love Mika until the day I die, and I have been one of his most

devoted followers for 4 1/2 years -- I don't think anyone can dispute

that. :) But I don't have to love everything

he does, and I don't love this song. Don't shoot me, but I don't. You're

allowed to love it if you want to -- that doesn't make you a better or

worse person or a better or worse fan than me. It just means we have

a difference of opinion. We're allowed to do that, you know --

it's what makes the world go around. :thumb_yello:

I love it!!!

Don't ask me why but i just do....

:blink: you loving a cheesy romantic dovey song :naughty: So everything can happen then or maybe you need another Naughty Corner session, don't you? :biggrin2:

:blink: you loving a cheesy romantic dovey song :naughty: So everything can happen then or maybe you need another Naughty Corner session, don't you? :biggrin2:

:shun:

I happen to love cheesy romantic dovey songs, no need for NC...:no:

Guess i've been watching too many Disney movies with my children for the past 13 years....:mf_rosetinted:

Don't like Ida's voice AT ALL in this song - she has a very clean, pure but cold, emotionless voice and honestly, if you're going to sing a duet (love song) to someone, you've got to at least TRY and sound like you mean it when you sing to the other person and look into their eyes etc lol!! I didn't feel that either Mika or Ida meant the lyrics when they sang it - I know they may not actually be 'in lurve' but they have to create the illusion when singing a love song together!

The song has potential, but I hope he finds another singer who 'gels' with him better vocally (etc!) - the restrained operatic voice is not what's needed here, it needs a more raw emotional style and sound.

I hope he also changes the title of the song because it's really not very inspiring as it stands....

Will be interesting to see how this song pans out in the end...

Yes, it's all about the artistic illusion, and I agree that Ida should have performed it with much more sensitivity. We kinda have two problems here: the quality of the song (lyrics and mellody) and her singing style which some of us also don't like very much according to these available videos. We have to be patient and listen to the final album version though.

But, anyway, they can't be Montserrat Caballe and Freddy Mercury neither this song is "Barcelona":dunno:Their voices clicked amazingly Imo.:wub2:

Sincerely i don't like the Ida's voice... it's not appropriate for this type of song: there's something wrong in this version. Btw, i'll wait the studio version and i hope that Mika will sing alone and put Ida only during the chorus.

:thumb_yello:

I didn't like Rain the first time live, not at all, and it came out in the end as a good dance track, so I guess it pays to reserve judgment...

I like the melody, it feels like something from a 1940 B movie - musical-ish about it... Ida's voice is very pure and lovely, but doesn't blend with Mika's in parts, was that because Mika was singing the harmony rather than the melody....?

But the subject matter :doh:

Blame it on... Rain...Storm... my suggestion would be to use the melody but make the lyrics about something else entirely.:aah::mf_rosetinted:

+

:shun:

I happen to love cheesy romantic dovey songs, no need for NC...:no:

Guess i've been watching too many Disney movies with my children for the past 13 years....:mf_rosetinted:

:wink2: Yes Disney cartoons have left such scars on us :aah: 'The little house on the prairie' too :teehee:

I'm just offering my opinion on THIS song, today, as it's been presented here to us so far.

I understand, I just wanted to point out that from conceiving an idea till it actually is a reality well it takes some time, I fell in love with the song in this version but have the sense to see it could be improved.

Of course we don't have to like everything he does, that would be boring, we woudn't have the chance for conversations or posts like this for example.

girl_nea.gif

I think what he lacks these days is

a) himself and

b) courage.

Writing Grace Kelly was a courageous thing because it was so different and it was pretty clear that a lot of people would not be very fond of it. Same with the plush on stage. Balloons and confetti, well everybody can do that. Different thing with the plush.

Yet writing WAG and releasing it as a first single was even more brave. And the video on top of everything. :teehee:

Now why do I think he lacks himself while the concerts went so well? That was the old stuff of which he knows it does work. And it was France (okay, yes and Belgium)

I really have the impression he is a bit lost in his self-imposed 'that next album will be an adult album' approach. He just doesn't seem to know very well what actually is his idea of a grown-up album.

I wish I could tell him that there's no real need to do that.

Many said that he seems more confident these days. To me it looks like the opposite. He records songs in French. Which is fine, I love the language, really. I have no resentments against the country or anything and I can accept that he's - for whatever reason - extraordinarily popular there. And it is only natural that we feel at home where we are accepted no matter what.

But just now he seems to retreat there with his French songs like asking for more love from the people who make him feel welcome almost as if he wanted to prepare himself for the not so well meaning rest of the world. Maybe I can't put this very well.

And I think he loses himself with everything visual. I saw that in the cover design of Elle me dit. And I see it in the Marie Antoinette stage setting. I love that stage design. But nothing of it points in Mika's direction. It could be anyone. I miss the hands-on approach he proudly mentioned in so many interviews. girl_sad.gif

I don't want to bash his new songs too harshly because I truly belive that unkind criticism can interrupt and kill creativity. (Not that I'm taking myself so seriously that I think he might give a damn about my very words. But I'm convinced that everybody is sensitive towards criticism.)

I'm sure he would prefer to write genious stuff again instead of what we got so far. Maybe it's just not the time yet. Maybe he lost track while working with so many different artists. I don't know. I have no idea of what's behind making an album. I've never done it. I have no idea about the process of songwriting. I could only say 'Write a song I like. After all you did it before.' :roftl:

:naughty:

I kinda like the melody, though it isn't as strong as some of his other songs.

I also think it needs more lyrics.

And Ida's voice (god knows this girl can sing) but it isn't soft enough to sing a lovey dovey song in a duet with Mika. I don't get the emotions that this song requires. Every note of hers are perfect, but it still doesn't work for me.

His voice is softer, more convincing, but is lost.

I am looking forward to hearing this song on the album... but hoping it isn't with Ida. (no offence Ida :tears:)

That's exactly my impression

I see lack of self-confidence as well, let's not forget he's been through a very hard time, which might explain that, at least partially, although he may look fine and smiling

he probably just needs time in order to find the courage to be himself again

moreover it must not be easy at all to cope with the huge success he had after LICM; his life changed completely, and that is destabilizing.

There is surely fear of failure

ok, these posts should belong to the shrinks thread :naughty:

girl_nea.gif

a) himself and

b) courage.

Writing Grace Kelly was a courageous thing because it was so different and it was pretty clear that a lot of people would not be very fond of it. Same with the plush on stage. Balloons and confetti, well everybody can do that. Different thing with the plush.

Yet writing WAG and releasing it as a first single was even more brave. And the video on top of everything. :teehee:

Now why do I think he lacks himself while the concerts went so well? That was the old stuff of which he knows it does work. And it was France (okay, yes and Belgium)

I really have the impression he is a bit lost in his self-imposed 'that next album will be an adult album' approach. He just doesn't seem to know very well what actually is his idea of a grown-up album.

Many said that he seems more confident these days. To me it looks like the opposite. He records songs in French. Which is fine, I love the language, really. I have no resentments against the country or anything and I can accept that he's - for whatever reason - extraordinarily popular there. And it is only natural that we feel at home where we are accepted no matter what.

But just now he seems to retreat there with his French songs like asking for more love from the people who make him feel welcome almost as if he wanted to prepare himself for the not so well meaning rest of the world. Maybe I can't put this very well.

And I think he loses himself with everything visual. I saw that in the cover design of Elle me dit. And I see it in the Marie Antoinette stage setting. I love that stage design. But nothing of it points in Mika's direction. It could be anyone. I miss the hands-on approach he proudly mentioned in so many interviews. girl_sad.gif

I don't want to bash his new songs too harshly because I truly belive that unkind criticism can interrupt and kill creativity. (Not that I'm taking myself so seriously that I think he might give a damn about my very words. But I'm convinced that everybody is sensitive towards criticism.)

I'm sure he would prefer to write genious stuff again instead of what we got so far. Maybe it's just not the time yet. Maybe he lost track while working with so many different artists. I don't know. I have no idea of what's behind making an album. I've never done it. I have no idea about the process of songwriting. I could only say 'Write a song I like. After all you did it before.' :roftl:

Edited by mari62
grammar

girl_nea.gif

a) himself and

b) courage.

As i said on the Karen thread though. The French songs are only something extra, they're not his album even, they're just a bonus.

As for the rest of his music. We've only heard a small portion of it. I doubt very much that we've heard the first album single. I doubt it will be Weather, because I don't think the actual track will be previewed until he's ready to release it.

So this weekend we've heard a taster, but not the whole thing by any means. He's said he will have songs of different styles on the album. Heck, there's even a rapper on it. So now we've heard the romantic love ballad, but there's is lots to come.

I actually enjoy the romantic love ballad. I also love Elle Me Dit and Karen, and I'm dying to hear the rest of the opus.

And Ida's voice (god knows this girl can sing) but it isn't soft enough to sing a lovey dovey song in a duet with Mika. I don't get the emotions that this song requires. Every note of hers are perfect, but it still doesn't work for me.

I am looking forward to hearing this song on the album... but hoping it isn't with Ida. (no offence Ida :tears:)

Totally agree. There's something missing in her voice/behavior... emotions?:mf_rosetinted:

:teehee:

I just listened to it again, but from the Liège, Belgium concert.

i think i figured out what bugs me :naughty:

Ida's voice sounds very mature.

So to me, it's like he is singing a love song with a lady old enough to be his mom.

i do like the song though :blush-anim-cl:

As for the rest of his music. We've only heard a small portion of it. I doubt very much that we've heard the first album single. I doubt it will be Weather, because I don't think the actual track will be previewed until he's ready to release it.

I agree with you, Marilyn. And I'm not judging all of his new music, or

the album. For my part, I'm just talking about this song, which I really

don't care for at all. :dunno:

So to me, it's like he is singing a love song with a lady old enough to be his mom.

Hey! What's wrong with being old enough to be his mom? :sneaky2:

:wheelchair: :roftl:

i think i figured out what bugs me :naughty:

Ida's voice sounds very mature.

:roftl:

yes, her voice is very dramatic that makes the song sound slightly melodramatic.:naughty:

It should not be in this 'operatic' style at all. It does not fit the song. I think it was @Sunshinegirl who pointed out earlier that this song needs to be sang in a less emotional way in order to avoid sounding too cheesy.

i do like the song though :blush-anim-cl:

So do I :teehee:

It seems to me that several of us have pointed out the same things. In my opinion, these can easily be fixed and they are worth working on as the song itself is good.

Rain was also different first. I remember I did not like the first (slow live) version but immediately took to it when I heard the uptempo song.

girl_nea.gif

a) himself and

b) courage.

I'm sure he would prefer to write genius stuff again instead of what we got so far. Maybe it's just not the time yet. Maybe he lost track while working with so many different artists. I don't know. I have no idea of what's behind making an album. I've never done it. I have no idea about the process of songwriting. I could only say 'Write a song I like. After all you did it before.' :roftl:

:bow:

If I remember it correctly, he mentioned in an interview how now he was ready to record the album he wanted and that he needed to move on and change. I haven't seen that change, to be honest. The new songs all seem to be 'safe' solutions and two of them targeted at his main European market both in the language and also in their sound. It is a 'safe' choice and I don't find these innovative at all. Neither are they 'awesome' as his tweets would make you believe.

However, he might have more up his sleeve and these songs are merely some summer teasers for his French fans. I actually think so, as I cannot hear the influence of any of the many famous producers and songwriters he is reported to be working with. So I have most definitely not given up hope yet and I still believe we will be presented with something unique, brave and innovative that we will be impressed by early next year.

:roftl:

yes, her voice is very dramatic that makes the song sound slightly melodramatic.:naughty:

It should not be in this 'operatic' style at all. It does not fit the song. I think it was @Sunshinegirl who pointed out earlier that this song needs to be sang in a less emotional way in order to avoid sounding too cheesy.

So do I :teehee:

It seems to me that several of us have pointed out the same things. In my opinion, these can easily be fixed and they are worth working on as the song itself is good.

Rain was also different first. I remember I did not like the first (slow live) version but immediately took to it when I heard the uptempo song.

:bow:

If I remember it correctly, he mentioned in an interview how now he was ready to record the album he wanted and that he needed to move on and change. I haven't seen that change, to be honest. The new songs all seem to be 'safe' solutions and two of them targeted at his main European market both in the language and also in their sound. It is a 'safe' choice and I don't find these innovative at all. Neither are they 'awesome' as his tweets would make you believe.

However, he might have more up his sleeve and these songs are merely some summer teasers for his French fans. I actually think so, as I cannot hear the influence of any of the many famous producers and songwriters he is reported to be working with. So I have most definitely not given up hope yet and I still believe we will be presented with something unique, brave and innovative that we will be impressed by early next year.

amen to that!

*sits and crosses fingers*

girl_nea.gif

'Write a song I like. After all you did it before.' :roftl:

Yes please!:wub2:

I think your post was very interesting to read, it gave me a lot to think about!:thumb_yello:

Good point!:wink2:

ok, these posts should belong to the shrinks thread :naughty:

Yeah, what happened to that thread?:blink:

I have not read the discussion, just going to add my thoughts after hearing this song live now twice.

I'm not obsessed with this song the same way as with Karen (for some reason I fell in love Karen at once) but I still find this song absolutely beautiful. It has a melodramatic touch, and for me it tells something about his attitude to the subject, and I find it very interesting :teehee: and I don't mind it at all. It gives me a lot to think about and makes my imagination fly, and that's a good sign when I hear a song for the first times. It's very emotional, maybe too emotional for many people, but I love his style to do it (not sure I would love it from anyone else, but it suits him).

I don't hope for many duets, I just don't care them. But, if he insist doing one Ida is my favorite :wub2: Maybe because I don't much care female voices in general, but I love Ida and I think her voice is beautiful (was so pleased to see Ida on stage again!). Also, I think Ida's voice and style gives the song a permission to be so melodramatic and cheesy, so I hope he won't change it.

(Edit: So difficult to explain in English, but this song is totally over emotional and melodramatic, and that's why I like Ida singing it, it's a bit opera style, with exaggerative emotions).

Edited by tiibet

I don't think there's anything wrong with the tune in this song, in fact it's very good. I especially like the verse, in particular the first part. I just have a problem with the lyrics and the duet thing. It turns what could be a very effective ballad into something too contrived. And as I've said before, I'm not a great fan of Ida's vocals. They certainly don't gel with Mika's in the way Imogen Heap's do.

I wonder if there's any way Mika could rejig the lyrics (or even completely rewrite them :teehee:) and sing it as a solo, preferably done minimalistically without too much sweeping 'Disney' orchestration. It might work much better.

Sorry if I am repeating anything others have said but I haven't read through the thread properly.

Hmm.

I listened to this song once and then pretty much forgot about it until just now, when I actively made a point of watching it again. And let me tell you, that feels SO WEIRD. How is it possible that there's a brand new video of Mika singing a brand new song and it just leaves me uninterested? When he debuted HMDYLM, Rain, and the four songs at the Roxy it was like I was hypnotized. I couldn't stop listening to them.

But this song...it's an effort to get through the whole video. :blink:

I think people are bang on in saying it sounds like a cheesy Disney song. I feel like I've slipped through a time machine and am watching a video of Mika's future west end musical debut. And don't get me wrong, I think Ida is incredibly talented - but she's an opera singer for a reason, as that's what she does best. Incorporating that aria at the start of Good Gone Girl on last year's arena tour was a stroke of brilliance. It allowed her to showcase her voice doing what she does best.

On this song it sounds like her voice is being forced into a box that it doesn't fit into. And her voice doesn't blend well with Mika's at all. To me, Ida sounds like a Disney princess in this song. And it certainly doesn't help that she's dressed like one, too. :naughty:

Maybe this song would resonate more with me if it was a solo Mika effort with him just in jeans and a t-shirt. I'm finding it hard to take the whole thing seriously with those costumes added to the mix. :naughty:

Or, he could take this song to Nashville, pitch it to Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley, and have them throw some banjos and a steel guitar onto it instead of some sweeping Disney instrumentation. Make a country song out of it. :teehee:

Hmm.

I listened to this song once and then pretty much forgot about it until just now, when I actively made a point of watching it again. And let me tell you, that feels SO WEIRD. How is it possible that there's a brand new video of Mika singing a brand new song and it just leaves me uninterested? When he debuted HMDYLM, Rain, and the four songs at the Roxy it was like I was hypnotized. I couldn't stop listening to them.

But this song...it's an effort to get through the whole video. :blink:

I think people are bang on in saying it sounds like a cheesy Disney song. I feel like I've slipped through a time machine and am watching a video of Mika's future west end musical debut. And don't get me wrong, I think Ida is incredibly talented - but she's an opera singer for a reason, as that's what she does best. Incorporating that aria at the start of Good Gone Girl on last year's arena tour was a stroke of brilliance. It allowed her to showcase her voice doing what she does best.

On this song it sounds like her voice is being forced into a box that it doesn't fit into. And her voice doesn't blend well with Mika's at all. To me, Ida sounds like a Disney princess in this song. And it certainly doesn't help that she's dressed like one, too. :naughty:

Maybe this song would resonate more with me if it was a solo Mika effort with him just in jeans and a t-shirt. I'm finding it hard to take the whole thing seriously with those costumes added to the mix. :naughty:

Or, he could take this song to Nashville, pitch it to Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley, and have them throw some banjos and a steel guitar onto it instead of some sweeping Disney instrumentation. Make a country song out of it. :teehee:

:roftl: you stayed at the stampede too long :aah: