Blame It On The Weather - song discussion

suzie

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just read the latest comments and I am :lmao:

Actually, someone posted on the Compiégne thread that it 'sounds like the RW and Nicole Kidman song' and I went :aah: mainly because I wouldn't call it their song and I hate how in that one the rhythm of the original version of "Something Stupid" is spoilt but I must admit the piano and even the violins are playing that melody in a simplified way. :teehee: The melody of the song itself reminds me of something else though, not sure what. Perhaps also something from the 60s.

As for the lyrics, I am happy about Mika finally writing a love song for and about adults. (:teehee:) If Ida's voice didn't make it sound so melodramatic, it would be quite a decent song...:dunno:

Edited by suzie

I have just read the latest comments and I am :lmao:

Actually, someone posted on the Compiégne thread that it 'sounds like the RW and Nicole Kidman song' and I went :aah: mainly because I wouldn't call it their song and I hate how in that one the rhythm of the original version of "Something Stupid" is spoilt but I must admit the piano and even the violins are playing that melody in a simplified way. :teehee: The melody of the song itself reminds me of something else though, not sure what. Perhaps also something from the 60s.

As for the lyrics, I am happy about Mika finally writing a love song for and about adults. (:teehee:) If Ida's voice didn't make it all sound so melodramatic, it would be quite a decent song...:dunno:

Me too.

I seriously hope the title will not be Bame it on the weather...

The beauty & the beast reminder is probably due to the costume.

I didn't like Rain the first time live, not at all, and it came out in the end as a good dance track, so I guess it pays to reserve judgment....

I remember I didn't like the first live version of Rain, either, in 2008. The album version was better but I found it slightly dated since it sounded to me like an 80's pop track. However, the Rain remix on the Imaginarium tour and also the new version at this year's festivals sound great and a true dance track.

So perhaps by 2013 this song will turn into a great anthem.:naughty:

I like the melody, it feels like something from a 1940 B movie - musical-ish about it... Ida's voice is very pure and lovely, but doesn't blend with Mika's in parts, was that because Mika was singing the harmony rather than the melody....?

Maybe... although lot of Simon and Garfunkel songs are like that, too (ie. one voice supporting the melody by harmonising to it), while this song still sounds pre-war for some reason. :dunno:

But the subject matter :doh:

Blame it on... Rain...Storm... my suggestion would be to use the melody but make the lyrics about something else entirely.:aah::mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

I get your point there but I would personally say that I hope it doesn't end up like I See You on record. For my money that's the most vastly overproduced thing Mika's ever done, to the point where I can't really listen to it. :blink:

I hope this news song will be more subtly handled.

I don't think anything can be so overproduced like WAG was.... :aah:(:naughty:) but I get your point. I also think I'm Falling was turned cheesy by Walter Afanasieff. I mean, it would have worked for Mariah or Celine but Mika is not quite like them. I really thought it would be a soundtrack to a movie, in which case I would have totally understood that and I was even happy about his involvement. However, as there was nothing done with it in terms of Universal using it (as a single or a sountrack) to attract a more mainstream audience, I don't understand what was the point in spoiling a simple but beautiful song, either. :dunno:

Edited by suzie

ok, :tears: I don't like it much really, it sounds like a really old musical Disney song and, well what you all have being saying, Ida's and Mika's voice don't sound good together...after hearing Karen (or however that song is called :aah:) this one's feels like a bucket of water. I like his slow songs, like AOW, at the begining I thought this one would be more less that style, but it doesn't feel the same :dunno: + the lyrics doesn't do much for me either

oh well the point of playing songs live before finishing the album is to see the publics reaction ...right? I hope he'lll change it :blush-anim-cl:

Edited by atreyu

I like it :blush-anim-cl:

Im not the only one I hope :teehee:

I like it too, but I also think of it as a work in progress, like Rain (as others have said) which changed from the live performance at PDP, to a completely different arrangement on the record, and different again at the live shows.

I do think he should change the title though, maybe just call it Weather, and leave out the BIOT. We already have a BIOT song.

Definitely sounds like a song from a musical. And the lyrics - well it sounds like the sort of thing a lovesick schoolboy would write - predictable and a bit slushy.

There is the germ of a good song in there, though, so maybe it will metamorphose into something better on the album. :dunno:

I know many of you are kind of "complaining" about Ida's operatic voice, but in some certain passages I honestly think it works beautifully. I mean, she has that ability to control some notes and juggle with them, unlike pop singers do and that sounds beautiful to me. Of course the slightly big contrast between her and Mika's voice is obvious, but Mika has also got a great opera experience and if you ask me, I think he manages to get into that operatic singing mood as well.

Edited by Cherisse

I like it :blush-anim-cl:

Im not the only one I hope :teehee:

I like it alot. I actually think Ida's voice fits perfectly with Mika's on this one and they compliment each other (much more so than HE - much prefer Imma on that).

:thumb_yello:

My mother always taught me that if you can't say something nice, then

don't say anything at all.

So this is me, commenting on this song:

:sad:

I'm sorry Mika but you need to dust off song #13 and try to make it work for this album. :naughty:

:lmfao:

My mother always taught me that if you can't say something nice, then

don't say anything at all.

So this is me, commenting on this song:

:sad:

:lmfao:

Yeah that's right!

I don't know what to think yet.. only that the title is maybe a little used!:teehee::aah:

I'm NOT impressed AGAIN :blink:

lyrics are so plain

they sing out of tune

so probably they didn't reharse much

Ida's voice is reduntant

I can see it's a romantic love song, so I can accept it in Mika's repertoire only if he will sing it alone by himself, at the piano solo, putting in it all his heart as he did when he sang La Solitude.

If he will improve the lyrics, the better.

only then I guess is would like it.

sorry Mika, you started it: better being kind than nice :wink2:

After falling in love to "82, rue des Martyrs" I was very curious how the second new song would sound like. And sadly I'm a little bit disappointed. I sounds like a (over-)conventional Musical ballad. I don't know, it doesn't have something special for me and I don't get an emotional connection to this song. While listening to "82, rue des Martyrs" the world around me doesn't existed. While listening to "Blame it on the weather" I started thinking about other things.

May my feelings change when I listen to the studio version.