General Q-ing discussion - please play nice everyone!

Statue_of_Liberty

The root problem is not the numbers system or how/when we queue, but the simple fact that people are desperate to be on the front row at a Mika gig.

And no matter what anyone says (myself included), it will always be every fan for themselves when the gates open.

But I think we could agree some ground rules, ie if it is a Mika only gig, it will only be fans who queue early, so you would be expected to spend most of the time queuing, with short breaks for food, toilet etc. This seemed to work perfectly well on the last UK tour.

I agree with you Silver. It did work perfectly on MIKA's last UK tour. It also did work at Orange Warsaw FESTIVAL - the only festival it did work actually. It is crucial we have an agreement with organisers when it's a festival and to ensure that we have to have someone "inside" - like John, who wasn't there now:huh: Even if you queue with fans of other acts, it's ok as you'll be front of the stage anyway. It was great between Nelly Furtado fans and us - they let us in the first rows for Mika and when he finished we ust left so they had all the space for themselves.

The problem is, however, the time we start the queue. 2 am is absolutely unacceptable! Maybe we should set the rule about the time too? If anyone starts queueing before, say, 10pm, they will not get a priprity number anyway, hm? I don't know... I'm just thinking loud as the last Compiegne situation was completely hopeless for us all.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i totally agree with this post.

and i think we just have to accept the queuing times will be more "insane" than in countries with more hardcore fans. i'm just avoiding countries like france for that reason

But why should we accept that?! It's absolutely ridiculous! Of course I won't tell anyone: sorry, I will be before you cause you can't just queue at 2am. But we cannot turn the however, great queueing tradition into a 2 am zombie march!

I agree with you Silver. It did work perfectly on MIKA's last UK tour. It also did work at Orange Warsaw FESTIVAL - the only festival it did work actually. It is crucial we have an agreement with organisers when it's a festival and to ensure that we have to have someone "inside" - like John, who wasn't there now:huh: Even if you queue with fans of other acts, it's ok as you'll be front of the stage anyway. It was great between Nelly Furtado fans and us - they let us in the first rows for Mika and when he finished we ust left so they had all the space for themselves.

The problem is, however, the time we start the queue. 2 am is absolutely unacceptable! Maybe we should set the rule about the time too? If anyone starts queueing before, say, 10pm, they will not get a priprity number anyway, hm? I don't know... I'm just thinking loud as the last Compiegne situation was completely hopeless for us all.

The thing is that it's really impossible to control what time people will queue. If you make the rule that people are allowed to queue only after 10 AM how will you define which fan arriving at 10 will be number one? There will be 20 fans near the venue waiting the exact time :roftl: And this is not only about mfc. There are always some local fans. It's impossible to control people like that.

Everyone want s to start late and still have a good number. It can happen in some places but not in countries with a large fan base. And I'm still saying - the system is fine. To work it only needs a few words from TM to the venues. Is he still interested in having his fans in front or is it more interesting for him to see new people at every gig?

The thing is that it's really impossible to control what time people will queue. If you make the rule that people are allowed to queue only after 10 AM how will you define which fan arriving at 10 will be number one? There will be 20 fans near the venue waiting the exact time :roftl: And this is not only about mfc. There are always some local fans. It's impossible to control people like that.

Everyone want s to start late and still have a good number. It can happen in some places but not in countries with a large fan base. And I'm still saying - the system is fine. To work it only needs a few words from TM to the venues. Is he still interested in having his fans in front or is it more interesting for him to see new people at every gig?

That is what I´ve been thinking about lately...

even with the numbers system being used, there's always a chance of seeing new faces at a gig. :naughty:

Now really, if TM works together with the venues and MFC, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. They may give up on it if they realize it's doing more harm than good, tho! :roftl:

I hope, from the latest experiences, that people have finally realized that q-ing at stupid o'clock at festivals won't do you any good, and the numbers even less. It's just stupid that some random person (even if he/she's an MFCer) shows up and starts a list, just because. "Oh it MAY work". No, it may NOT. Once you give a number to someone, telling him/her it has advantages, that person will demand those advantages when it's time to get in. And at a festival, it's most likely that they wont get them, which ends up being a total mess, and ruining the atmosphere right from the beginning. :dunno:

(sorry, just had to say that! Marés Vivas last saturday was a(nother) good example...)

And I'm still saying - the system is fine. To work it only needs a few words from TM to the venues. Is he still interested in having his fans in front or is it more interesting for him to see new people at every gig?

That is what I´ve been thinking about lately...

This was a logistical problem because John was not at the festivals but Mika will have a tour manager during a regular tour. I am quite certain there is no correlation between John not being at the festivals and who Mika wants to see in the front row. :wink2:

Did you ever see that video from South America where some fans turned up at Mika's hotel (or somewhere similar)? Mika was clearly agitated, not that they were harassing him at his hotel or anything, but that the fans were going to be late getting to the festival and would not be in the front row :lmfao:

I think this has to do with hardcore support rather than familiar faces per se, and ironically is probably a lot more important at a festival than his regular tour. I'm sure most of the people who somehow manage to make it to the front of a Mika gig are going to be pretty excited to be there.

This was a logistical problem because John was not at the festivals but Mika will have a tour manager during a regular tour. I am quite certain there is no correlation between John not being at the festivals and who Mika wants to see in the front row. :wink2:

Did you ever see that video from South America where some fans turned up at Mika's hotel (or somewhere similar)? Mika was clearly agitated, not that they were harassing him at his hotel or anything, but that the fans were going to be late getting to the festival and would not be in the front row :lmfao:

:shocked: Seriously ... I've never seen that ... :lmfao: What is he like ... :teehee:

Seriously .. though ... it doesn't matter what we discuss here about queuing ... it's been done before ... people will still queue even if they're on a paid list ... just to be in front of someone else who's paid ... it's only us that compete with each other ... and it's crazy ... I went to Take That last week ... got there at Midday ... and there were already hundreds and hundreds there ... I queued for 5 hours ... and didn't even get anywhere near the front for the gig ... but I knew this when I saw the crowd ... so I chose a nice seat and enjoyed it anyway ... the only thing I did miss in the queuing was that I was on my own the whole day ... that's what I like about Mika gigs ... that I'm with friends ... I will never queue ridiculously early though ... about midday is my earliest - but I do start to think when gigs are coming up ... maybe I should go abit earlier ... to have a better chance of a good spot ... I wish it wasn't like this - I wish we/me/us didn't have to have this mindset ... but it's there in the back of my mind sometimes - most of the time though it's just fleeting ... cos' I mostly really can't be arsed :lmfao:

What's wrong with having new people coming in? Because someone's "NEW" he/she should not be allowed front row?:shocked:

I'm just tryng to understand... Does Mika need some king of security blanket to perform well???:mf_rosetinted:

What's wrong with having new people coming in? Because someone's "NEW" he/she should not be allowed front row?:shocked:

I'm just tryng to understand... Does Mika need some king of security blanket to perform well???:mf_rosetinted:

Well sadly ... the way things go ... it always the same people at the front ... and with the same spots normally too ... if newbies want that too ... they would go early too ... you do what you must ... I've queued at stupid o' clock in the past for musicians I've liked ... but I'm 37 now ... I'm just not up to 12 hour queuing sessions ... :wink2:

Then again ... I don't see myself going to as many Mika gigs as others will be able to manage ... so maybe one time I will decide to revert to stupid o'clock ... and if someone sees me doing this ... can you please send me back to bed with a bullet up my behind ... ta muchly :teehee:

I think she's just wondering if he's sick of seeing our mugs at every gig. :naughty:

I can say for certain that there are at least some people he loves to see in the front because I've seen his reaction when he spots them.

Well sadly ... the way things go ... it always the same people at the front ... and with the same spots normally too ... if newbies want that too ... they would go early too ... you do what you must ... I've queued at stupid o' clock in the past for musicians I've liked ... but I'm 37 now ... I'm just not up to 12 hour queuing sessions ... :wink2:

Then again ... I don't see myself going to as many Mika gigs as others will be able to manage ... so maybe one time I will decide to revert to stupid o'clock ... and if someone sees me doing this ... can you please send me back to bed with a bullet up my behind ... ta muchly :teehee:

Thanks... I'm 40 and I think I can use one hand to count the number of times I queue... Last time was for Duran Duran last April, got at the venue at 5 and was 4th row:naughty: and it was the most polite/quiet entry I have seen in my life...

Call me thick head, I just don,t understand:thumb_yello:

I think she's just wondering if he's sick of seeing our mugs at every gig. :naughty:

I can say for certain that there are at least some people he loves to see in the front because I've seen his reaction when he spots them.

I'm sure of that:biggrin2: but he doesn,t know me yet:mf_rosetinted::roftl:

Thanks... I'm 40 and I think I can use one hand to count the number of times I queue... Last time was for Duran Duran last April, got at the venue at 5 and was 4th row:naughty: and it was the most polite/quiet entry I have seen in my life...

Yeah .. I can do without all the stress about where I'm gonna end up ... AM I GONNA GET ON THE BARRIER :eek: *Bite fingers*

I wrote a poem about it actually after the Edinburgh Gig - the queuing experience ... it's in the yearbook ... kind of sums it up quite well ... :teehee:

Actually TT was nice ... after I'd got in there and realised it was no good .. which took about 2 mins ... I got a really good seat ... It was also nice seeing real latecomers wandering around desperately looking for a good seat and they were all gone ... and realising ... drat it ... we're going have to stand and aren't gonna see a thing ... oh ... I think I'm going to hell :lmfao:

You have to queue for everything in Europe though. I never queued when I was teen either because all the venues in Toronto were either seated or 19+. You want to see a gig in Europe you queue. You want to see a popular artist, you queue a long time. Robbie Williams played an event in England with 400,000 people. I'm sure there was a whole lot of waiting around for a whole lot of people. :naughty:

I don't know if things were the same in Quebec but it's very different in Europe from when I was growing up in Toronto although we are starting to see some general admission floor standing in arenas now.

This queue for U2 in Toronto just shows how unaccustomed people are to queuing for gigs that they refuse to stand. I was thinking if every Mika fan did this you wouldn't need a number system because everyone has already staked their claim with a lawn chair :lmfao:

U2Line.jpg

You have to queue for everything in Europe though. I never queued when I was teen either because all the venues in Toronto were either seated or 19+. You want to see a gig in Europe you queue. You want to see a popular artist, you queue a long time. Robbie Williams played an event in England with 400,000 people. I'm sure there was a whole lot of waiting around for a whole lot of people. :naughty:

I don't know if things were the same in Quebec but it's very different in Europe from when I was growing up in Toronto although we are starting to see some general admission floor seating in arenas now.

This queue for U2 in Toronto just shows how unaccustomed people are to queuing for gigs that they refuse to stand. I was thinking if every Mika fan did this you wouldn't need a number system because everyone has already staked their claim with a lawn chair :lmfao:

U2Line.jpg

KNEBWORTH ... I went too all 3 of those shows ... and yes ... that was some queuing ... I was working though ... first show I didn't get in the wristbanded early arrivers bit ... the second two dates ... I did ... I learnt after the first show ... :teehee: Told all my passengers to head straight for the stage too ... not too hang around for merchandise or anything else ... as it wasn't that many people allowed in that bit ... and the mass crowd was behind the second barrier ... so far more room to move around - you got writstbanded the first time you went out ... and that was the only way you were allowed back in ... :teehee: So once they decided it was full ... you were screwed ... and it was full bloody quick :wink2:

Good memories :wub2:

I don't know if things were the same in Quebec but it's very different in Europe from when I was growing up in Toronto although we are starting to see some general admission floor standing in arenas now.

U2Line.jpg

For U2.They had a numbered system in Montreal, they show it on TV. And some people queued 2 days in advance for Metallica at the Quebec Summer festival last weekend.

In Quebec, most shows at the Colisée where general admission on "parterre" and seated for the rest.

Thanks for your patience with my thick head:mf_rosetinted:

If I have to queue for 2 days I expect to see the Beatles. And John Lennon and George Harrison had better be there and ready to rock. :mf_rosetinted:

I'll queue for a WEEK when they guarantee I'll see Queen with Freddie Mercury on vocals. :mf_rosetinted:

If I have to queue for 2 days I expect to see the Beatles. And John Lennon and George Harrison had better be there and ready to rock. :mf_rosetinted:

Officials said there was more people for Metallica than for Paul McCartney or Celine Dion... Quebec has a thing for heavy metal bands :mf_rosetinted:

No, I didn't mean things like that at all. I meant new = someone who maybe doesn't know his music at all, might be there just by accident and just happens to be at gate number 15 at a suitable place and familiar = a serious fan, maybe not familiar to him but who knows his music and loves it.

The front row is very different if it's full of people who doesn't know or care about his music like fans. And like Christine said it can matter especially at festivals, it can be important to have some support in front of a huge audience. I don't know if it is important at his own solo gigs. I can see even people who don't actually like his music enjoying at his gigs (he is a very good live artist), and I was just wondering, if he is bored to see only fans.

Here in Portugal, people queued for days....TO BUY TICKETS to see U2! :blink:

I'll queue for a WEEK when they guarantee I'll see Queen with Freddie Mercury on vocals. :mf_rosetinted:

and Michael Jackson as the opening???? :mf_rosetinted:

:aah: :aah: :aah:

and Michael Jackson as the opening???? :mf_rosetinted:

:aah: :aah: :aah:

Nope, Janis Joplin.

In fact...make that a TWO WEEK queue. Just in case. :mf_rosetinted:

Archived